PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Whipping Boy

Smidgeon
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Okay, just a small rant, then you can move along.

As far as being a fan goes, it really gets under my skin when people pile on inaccurately or undeservedly. In the most recent example, while reading a chat from the GBPG about the draft, this was the answer to one of the questions about Perry:

Mike Vandermause:
He definitely has the potential to be an upgrade over Zombo-Walden-Jones, but isn't as good as Matthews. Yes, there are questions about his motor. Perry addressed that and said it gives him a chip on his shoulder and he is determined to prove people wrong. Kevin Greene will certainly light a fire under Perry in training camp, if not before. I guess only time will tell on that so-called shortcoming. Some guys, such as Justin Harrell, simply don't have the hunger to excel in the NFL. Perry will have to prove he has what it takes to succeed at this level.

Okay, so asking about drive, Mr Vandermause brings up Harrell--who wasn't even asked about--to explain an example about how drive was the difference between success and failure in the NFL. Umm, what? Wasn't Harrell injured? Didn't he try everything he could to get his back fixed including acupuncture, chiropractic care, and multiple surgeries? This is the same guy who played through a torn up bicep in college because he wanted to help his team win.

I just find it ludicrous to blame him for failing because of a lack of drive. And I honestly get tired of the piling on. You want a bad GB draft pick: Brian Brohm. Not Justin Harrell. Harrell actually contributed and showed the ability to play in the NFL in his rookie season--something difficult to do as a rookie DT in the NFL. Then he tears up his back working out--you know, preparing for the season, and suddenly he didn't have talent or desire or drive??? Seriously???

[/rant]

Move along now. Nothing further to see.

swede
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Slandermuse. Pile on him, the dorque.

I agree. All evidence and word from the coaches suggested that Harrell was busting it trying to recover from injuries.

Herniate a disc in your back Slandermuse and you would make your wife take out the trash for you, much less try to play football again.

pbmax
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH HHHH!!!

No??

Justin Harrell? Really? Unless Mike has unreported information, I think he has confused a dramatic arc for reality.

Cleft Crusty
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Some guys, such as Mike Vandermause, simply don't have the hunger to excel as sports reporters.

sharpe1027
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
At least it was a chat and not an article.

Lurker64
04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Harrell's problem was "he hurt his back (pec, ACL, etc.)" not "he didn't care about football" considering every scout I've ever talked to will swear that Harrell loved football like he loved his mother.

As for the favorite whipping boy? I think Erik Walden definitely has a chance at that if he's on the team this year. He was definitely more hateable last year than Bush.

sharpe1027
04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
He was definitely more hateable last year than Bush.

I agree, but many many people I talk to love to hate Bush.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree, but many many people I talk to love to hate Bush.

Yeah, but it gets harder every year. He keeps improving.

Fritz
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree - Harrell got a bad rap. He got hurt, tried to come back. It didn't work. The back injury was the real blow - which happened when he was weight lifting.

You'd like to think a reporter would care more about being factual.

Guiness
04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
That one stupid article, debunked by our very own Patler, which claimed Harrell went home to his momma's cooking and came back looking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy a month later.

red
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH HHHH!!!

No??

Justin Harrell? Really? Unless Mike has unreported information, I think he has confused a dramatic arc for reality.

i also came in this thread thinking it was about bush.

fuck that guy, i hate him

denverYooper
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Here I thought it was about Slocum.

Fire Slocum!

Bretsky
04-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Fire Slocum!

I'm going anti Homer on Justine

Where there is fuel somewhere there is probably fire

mission
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Put me in the "thought this was about Bush" group. Bit disappointed really.

Lurker64
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Put me in the "thought this was about Bush" group. Bit disappointed really.

I was really happy when we resigned Bush. I was afraid we were going to let Bush walk and end up resigning Pat Lee.

mission
04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't mind him on the team, just don't like to see him playing anything other than STs.

Upnorth
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I say we start a poll to see who our favorite whipping boy is. I stand beside denverYooper and second his nomination of Slocum.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
BJ Sander/Coleman

Guiness
05-01-2012, 12:40 AM
I say we start a poll to see who our favorite whipping boy is. I stand beside denverYooper and second his nomination of Slocum.

It's close enough to Wednesday. I'll carry the motion: Fire Slocum!

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I don't mind him on the team, just don't like to see him playing anything other than STs.

You can do far worse for a #4 CB on someone's depth chart. I have no complaints with him in the dime package.

pbmax
05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Fire Slocum!

Its not Wednesday! I think Tuesday was Fire Campen Day.

pbmax
05-01-2012, 08:04 AM

It does add a level of excitement. You don't know who will be the beneficiary when he is a DB. :lol:

Pugger
05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
i also came in this thread thinking it was about bush.

fuck that guy, i hate him

Bush is pretty useless in the secondary but great on ST.

Pugger
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I agree - Harrell got a bad rap. He got hurt, tried to come back. It didn't work. The back injury was the real blow - which happened when he was weight lifting.

You'd like to think a reporter would care more about being factual.

The ONLY reason folks bitched about Harrell was the fact of where he was taken. Had he been in the second round he wouldn't have had all that hate directed towards him. If anyone deserved derision it was Brian Brohm. At least Harrell could actually play football when healthy.

Pugger
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

I thought Finley is taking Bush's spot...

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Bush is pretty useless in the secondary but great on ST.

He WAS useless in the secondary. But he's been improving on defense every year. Now he's a very serviceable #4 corner.

Upnorth
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Its not Wednesday! I think Tuesday was Fire Campen Day.

I thought in the offseason Tuesday became fire Slocum day, and Wednesday was second guess everything TT day.

sharpe1027
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I thought in the offseason Tuesday became fire Slocum day, and Wednesday was second guess everything TT day.

I didn't get that memo. Was it part of the TPS report? I never read those.

Upnorth
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I didn't get that memo. Was it part of the TPS report? I never read those.

MMMkay, you need to get in those TPS reports on time.