PDA

View Full Version : High-effort rookie Tony Moll takes to new role at guard

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Posted on Thu, Aug. 17, 2006email thisprint thisreprint or license this

High-effort rookie Moll takes to new role at guard

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - The first time Tony Moll tried his hand at guard, he didn't last long.

Moll was 8-years-old playing in a Pop Warner youth football league in his hometown of Sonoma, Calif.

He remembered moving from tight end to right guard for a couple of series but then was moved again, to quarterback, to replace an injured teammate.

"I didn't really get that many reps at (guard)," Moll said Thursday.

Moll, who turns 23 on Wednesday, has been making up for lost time at the position this week in Green Bay Packers training camp.

Originally considered a developmental prospect after the Packers selected the converted tight end from Nevada in the fifth round of this year's draft, Moll is a viable candidate to fill one of the two starting vacancies at guard.

The coaching staff moved Moll, who opened camp three weeks ago third on the depth chart at right tackle, to right guard earlier this week. He's practiced there with the starting unit, and a strong performance Saturday when the Packers host Atlanta in a preseason game could earn Moll the lead role for the seasons' start.

"It's a big deal," Moll said of the upcoming game. "I'd love to obviously keep the starting job. So, I'm going to be focusing on that a lot. I'm going to be playing my hardest to try to get it."

Moll describes himself as a hard-effort guy who is apt to "go a hundred miles an hour the whole game and try to knock people on the ground."

The high intensity and take-charge attitude were evident in both the Packers' scrimmage at Lambeau Field on Aug. 5 and Green Bay's 17-3, preseason-opening loss at San Diego Saturday.

Moll worked as a backup at right tackle in both instances. After Moll shut down Chargers standout pass-rushing linebacker Shawne Merriman, the coaches thought the athletic rookie might help an unstable interior of the offensive line.

So, when the team reconvened on the practice field Monday, Moll was plugged in at right guard, third-round draft pick Jason Spitz moved from right guard to left guard and second-round draftee Daryn Colledge was demoted to second string at left guard.

"Some of the things he's seeing for the first time at that spot. But, he's catching on; he's catching on," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said of Moll. "He has two smart guys next to him. The center, Scott (Wells), and 'Tausch' (right tackle Mark Tauscher) can help him out in there with the calls and all that."

Moll said he has gradually become comfortable at guard after four days of practice and understands the array of line calls.

"I don't feel like I'm hurrying myself at the line and second-guessing myself. I know what I'm doing now," he said.

Yet, Moll acknowledged that he's had to adjust in his work at guard to how the action unfolds quicker than it does playing on the outside.

"The defensive end, they try to run around you or juke you and you have a little more time (to react)," he explained. "Going against a (defensive) tackle, he's right up on top of you."

Moll will get a stern test in his game debut at his new position with Pro Bowl tackle Rod Coleman lined up on the other side for Atlanta.

Head coach Mike McCarthy isn't fretting the matchup for Moll or any of the encounters his young interior linemen will face against the Falcons' stout defensive line.

"Our young guys need to grow up. So, what a better group to grow up against?" McCarthy said.

In light of the position changes brought on by a subpar performance last weekend by the offensive line, which failed to keep quarterback Brett Favre upright, McCarthy would like to have the starting five solidified next week.

General manager Ted Thompson said Thursday that he wouldn't be surprised if Moll tarts.

"We're moving some people around, put in different combinations and see what right now looks like the best," Thompson said. "So, maybe that's the best rotation right now. Maybe that changes in 10 weeks. Maybe it changes next year. We're just trying to get the right combination for now."

Admitting that he never expected to be in contention for a starting spot this season after he was taken in the late rounds of the April draft, Moll now isn't inclined to let go of the plum job he inherited this week.

The 6-foot-5 Moll put on 50 pounds, going from 250 to 300, before his senior season at Nevada last year to make the transition from tight end to tackle.

He's mobile on his feet weighing 295 in Packers camp, and his trademark toughness has been a conversation piece for Favre, who had Moll's ear in practice Wednesday.

"He said, 'Don't play like a rookie does. Just go out there and just kick butt like you know you're capable of doing.' That's what I'm going to be trying to do," Moll said. "I tried to do that in San Diego - just go out and start a hellstorm. Hopefully, I'm going to be able to bring that same thing here on Saturday."

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH PACKER FANS !!

Bretsky
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
I think he'll get eaten alive by the quality NFC North DT's.

esoxx
08-17-2006, 11:28 PM
The OG situation continues to be a mess and will undermine the team again this year. TT claimed he learned his lesson after seeing the poisonous effect sub-standard guard play had on the offense. Guess not.

Maybe "Mookie" Moore will be the go-to guy next? Brilliant. Why not try Mary Tyler Moore while we're at it.

Bretsky
08-17-2006, 11:37 PM
The OG situation continues to be a mess and will undermine the team again this year. TT claimed he learned his lesson after seeing the poisonous effect sub-standard guard play had on the offense. Guess not.

Maybe "Mookie" Moore will be the go-to guy next? Brilliant. Why not try Mary Tyler Moore while we're at.

Matt Bernstein is available; he may be physically stronger than some of the Lineman in camp

Joemailman
08-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I take it you guys aren't about to jump on board the Moll Train!

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 11:54 PM
NOT impressed ? :mrgreen:

Isn't it time for someone to read Ted a few fables? Anybody here read well?

Maybe start with the one about the three pigs building their houses, each with a different construction:

One of straw.

One of sticks

One of bricks.

Then the WOLF (ALL TEAM's - we face in 2006) well. . .

You get the :idea:

That begs the question? Did Ted have a normal childhood?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I think the wrost thing that could happen on sunday is if Moll just plays "OK." If he plays bad you put Colldge back in and move on, and if he plays good you keep he in there. But what if he's plays just decent? Then what do you do, do you keep in the starting line up or go with someone esle. We need to figure out this offensive line mess out really soon and thats why I hope Moll either plays really good or plays bad and shows he needs to go back to back up tackle.

Bretsky
08-18-2006, 12:07 AM

Soon to become the Mold train

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Soon to become the Mold train

Oh Oh ! :mrgreen:

GOOD thing, that some have gone - beddy bye's. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR . . .

PTPaQ
08-18-2006, 01:26 AM
It doesnt look good folks.

And thats optimism.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 01:55 AM
It doesnt look good folks.

And thats optimism.

I can't help it to have to agree but funnier things have happened.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

GBRulz
08-18-2006, 07:35 AM
I was listening to the NFL channel (Sirius) on my way home yesterday and they were talking about Moll having another bad practice.

It's not very encouraging to hear these constant reports, that's for sure. We'll see what happens at game time I guess.

Terry
08-18-2006, 07:42 AM

Maybe "Mookie" Moore will be the go-to guy next? Brilliant. Why not try Mary Tyler Moore while we're at.

Actually, Moore is supposed to be damned tough. His problem has been a plethora of injuries. If he can stay on the field, he might be quite good for us.

The pessimism I see everywhere is really getting me down, I confess.

Rastak
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM

Actually, Moore is supposed to be damned tough. His problem has been a plethora of injuries. If he can stay on the field, he might be quite good for us.

Well, the lads need to go out Saturday and give you reason to be optimistic.

pittstang5
08-18-2006, 07:55 AM

I've read the same things about Moore and am quite shocked he hasn't broken the starting line up, especially since they demoted Colledge.

Moll is gonna get railroaded on Saturday.

RIPackerFan
08-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I think that Moll might be one of those guys who does better in the game than in practice. I think that’s because of the following (per Moll):
"I'm going to have as much fun as I can and try to kick some butt," he said. "I'm relentless, one thing that sold these coaches to draft me. I'm not a cheap-shot thing but I'm going to be looking for those extra punches when guys are backing off. I'm going to get on my toes and go after them. I'm not going to give them that extra chance to take an extra breath."
I truly think he is one of those guys who is a streetfighter – a guy who is going to use everything in his disposal to stop you – even though some may view it is a cheap shot or “cheating”.

I don’t think he does these things during practice, which may be part of the reason why his practices aren’t going well – because 1) they work on technique – and usually the “extra punch” is not technique and 2) you probably aren’t going to try to hurt your fellow teammates – which is probably does in the games.

That's probably what they saw in the SD game.

esoxx
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Maybe "Mookie" Moore will be the go-to guy next? Brilliant. Why not try Mary Tyler Moore while we're at it.

I would say it's being realistic rather than pessimistic. As for Moore, an injury prone, street free agent isn't exactly cause for getting hopes too high. And I would say all these O-line guys are "tough."

What I did hear about Moore, though, is he does have exceptional strength which is certainly a plus. I would love it if he did become our starting guard and held it for years. However, his history says otherwise and I don't like pipe dreams at this point, especially after last year's nightmare up front. Waaay too much uncertainity at this point to be anything but concerned.

4and12to12and4
08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
It ain't gonna mean nothin if Moll does well Saturday, if our tackles, RB's, and tight ends block as pathetically as they did last Saturday. But, I'm going to go on the record right now in saying that we will see MUCH improvement in the line Saturday. I predict there will be many holes opening up, and a lot more time for our QB's to throw the ball. This will have little to do with OUR improvement, it will be because Atlanta's defensive line and scheme is MUCH less complicated and far less dominant than SD's.
When watching the SD game, I had to rewind and watch in slow mo just to figure out where the hell everyone was coming from. In Atlanta's scheme, it is very simple. The d-line comes at you without much lateral movement, and they blitz infrequently. So, if their scheme doesn't change, our o-line is gonna think they're back in college again. Everyone here will suddenly be talking about the playoffs again, and all will be well. For one week, anyways.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
I just watched most of the scrimmage and I watched Colledge on every play. He didn't look that bad. I should say he looked good when they had him on the move and zone blocking. He struggled when he had to line up over somebody and block them one-on-one. He wasn't too bad. He could win the job back. If nothing else, I see things to like if he improves his strength.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2006, 12:23 PM
What scrimmage?

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2006, 12:31 PM
The Family Night scrimmage on youtube.com. I couldn't find the Chargers-Packers preseason game, so I watched the scrimmage again.