PDA

View Full Version : TMZ Reporting Junior Seau Is Dead

pbmax
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
After a shooting at his house.

http://t.co/3FRHCSjq

I apologize for the source but TMZ has a report from a law enforcement source that it is being treated as a possible suicide.

sheepshead
05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
suicide they say on twitter

Scott Campbell
05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Holy crap.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
4 letter network has not reported this yet.

Smidgeon
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
This saddens me. He's only a couple years removed from the NFL and was one of the most recognizable names in the NFL for a long period of time. :(

Guiness
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Also being reported on boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2012/05/report_junior_s.html

Also reporting possible suicide. I wonder if we'll find out it's related to concussions?

edit: reporting it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest

Harlan Huckleby
05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
wasn't he a guy with steroid issues?

gbgary
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
just saw that. apparent suicide. rip jr.

SkinBasket
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Hooray!

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
It's in the LA Times too: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/junior-seau-dead-gunshot-wound.html Another article I read compared it to the way Dave Duerson, the former Bear, shot himself in the chest to preserve the brain for further study for concussion effects. I always liked him as a player and off the field as well--smart, well-spoken thoughtful guy. I'd forgotten about the car wreck and domestic abuse accusations until I re-read this story. It all makes me think of Mike Webster's post football mental health issues too.

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
The Chargers issued a short statement: "Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family."

mraynrand
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
At least he didn't take the wife and kids or co-workers with him. There's some honor in that.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
well, at least he had the good sense to leave his face and head intact for an open casket.

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Until one of my old students mentioned it on Facebook, I didn't realize that he's the 8th member of the 1994 AFC champion Chargers to die young already. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/18938230/seaus-death-cruelest-blow-of-all-to-94-chargers

SkinBasket
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Until one of my old students mentioned it on Facebook, I didn't realize that he's the 8th member of the 1994 AFC champion Chargers to die young already. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/18938230/seaus-death-cruelest-blow-of-all-to-94-chargers

They sold their souls for victory? That's a bold claim!

MadScientist
05-02-2012, 02:52 PM

They sold their souls for victory? That's a bold claim!

They didn't get their money's worth, since they lost the SB big time.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Hooray!

You seldom fail to shock.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
My honest reaction was SHOCK as this man was so recognizable to us for such a long time.

Here's loads on his life and career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Seau

sheepshead
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Good looks, great body, lots of dough, divorced...come on man!

Guiness
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Doug Miller was struck by lightning??? Well, you can hardly blame that on football.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
The Canadian News Nutwork is reporting that SCOTT CAMPBELL is the shooter.

Guiness
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
The Canadian News Nutwork is reporting that SCOTT CAMPBELL is the shooter.

That's a neat trick for a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but hopped up on enough Timmy's, you could do it!

Scott Campbell
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
That's a neat trick for a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but hopped up on enough Timmy's, you could do it!

Many of my ignorant American colleagues may not have any idea what "Timmy's" is.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIXEgdy7r1B3R-1VREFlyrV9Z3a7JE3qRxhXI7u_BATsOPkZw-

SkinBasket
05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
You seldom fail to shock.

I thought he was a terrible person. We're running a poll right now about hated players, why not express your "shockedness" over there?

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 06:10 PM
The Chargers issued a short statement: "Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family."

I hope no one who heard this was driving or operating heavy machinery. I read that he had a lot of things he wanted to do when he retired...

ND72
05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
so sad from this news. I LOVED Junior. In middle school I wore #55 for football because of him (94-95 school years). He was such a great person with so much love and giving back that it's so hard to see something like this happen. The more these things happen the more I hope the NFL wakes up to these head injuries. Junior is the EIGHTH player from the 94 Chargers Super Bowl team that is dead...that's amazing to me, and saddening. I love this game, but it definitely has it's down side, much of which I'm concerned about with my own health in life. I pray Junior is safe now in the loving arms of God, and his pain is gone...no more sorrow, no more tears.

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
My niece is seriously pissed at him. He left his mother behind just a few days before Mother's Day. He also left behind a girlfriend, an ex wife and he's completely fucked up the lives of three children. She may have a point.

mission
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
My niece is seriously pissed at him. He left his mother behind just a few days before Mother's Day. He also left behind a girlfriend, an ex wife and he's completely fucked up the lives of three children. She may have a point.

Or she may not. Neither of you are in any position to judge.

I'm not big on shooting myself either, but really... come on.

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Or she may not. Neither of you are in any position to judge.

I'm not big on shooting myself either, but really... come on.

Her point was that she'd come close to suicide herself and when she thought of the affect it would have on others, sucked it up and dealt with her issues. And am I judging for making an observation and sharing a point that someone else made?

channtheman
05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I think suicide is very selfish, I also think people who do it have inadequate support systems.

pbmax
05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Doug Miller was struck by lightning??? Well, you can hardly blame that on football.

Clearly standing under the goalposts for pictures in a thunderstorm was a bad idea.

Seau drive off a cliff last year and there was chatter some of those investigating it thought it was a suicide attempt. He claimed to have fallen asleep.

Schefter reports Seau did not appear on any injury reports listed as suffering from a concussion. But he was listed 6 times for bell ringing.

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Clearly standing under the goalposts for pictures in a thunderstorm was a bad idea.

Seau drive off a cliff last year and there was chatter some of those investigating it thought it was a suicide attempt. He claimed to have fallen asleep.

Schefter reports Seau did not appear on any injury reports listed as suffering from a concussion. But he was listed 6 times for bell ringing.

Cowbell? Sorry, is that too soon?

pbmax
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
well, at least he had the good sense to leave his face and head intact for an open casket.

Or to send his head to Boston to have it examined.

mission
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Her point was that she'd come close to suicide herself and when she thought of the affect it would have on others, sucked it up and dealt with her issues. And am I judging for making an observation and sharing a point that someone else made?

Your niece thinks its selfish -- got it, that's novel.
I've thought about suicide too but that doesn't make me some expert who can be called in to comment on all other suicides. She has no idea where he was at or what caused that. Some people have real issues, others "cant live" because their boyfriend dumped them... I'm not defending it by any means, but it just seems like a pretty strange comment to say he fucked up his kids lives and all that. It's not easy for them I'm sure, but if they were on the right track, they aren't going to end up in prison tomorrow. A little too soon to start with the women's lib angle.

Maybe wait a day or two... this is the only place on the net that I've seen jokes and digs about the situation all day. Sad.

mission
05-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Cowbell? Sorry, is that too soon?

Yeah. Chill out.

Brando19
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Good looks, great body, lots of dough, divorced...come on man!

Whoa...you sound like Freak Out at a gay bar. ;)

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Whoa...you sound like Freak Out at a gay bar. ;)

Spoken just like a man who's been to a gay bar with Freak Out!?!?:-|

Joemailman
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Or to send his head to Boston to have it examined.

Could be. Comparisons to the Dave Duerson suicide are already being made. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/story/2012-05-02/lopresti-junior-seau-dave-duerson/54709254/1

Late in his life, Duerson pleaded guilty to domestic battery.
In 2010, Seau survived that 30-foot plunge in his SUV (he told authorities he fell asleep while driving) hours after he had been arrested on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend. He was never charged.
Duerson shot himself in the chest, an act which preserved his brain for study.
Police say Seau apparently shot himself in the chest as well.

Brando19
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Spoken just like a man who's been to a gay bar with Freak Out!?!?:-|

Hahahaha....damn....i just got burned.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I've thought about suicide too but that doesn't make me some expert who can be called in to comment on all other suicides.

I'm just pleased that you decided to remain with us.

mraynrand
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Given how bad these things can go, I say maybe this worked out as well as it could. Absolutely you'd like to see the guy get help and recover. But, given that he didn't, it's a blessing he didn't kill anyone else on the way out. Here in Cleveland a guy at the Cracker Barrel barged in on his ex-wife and two 10 year-old daughters celebrating their birthday and shot the mother and one daughter dead on the spot. He took half the brain off the other daughter and she is currently in the ICU on a machine. Police shot him dead in the parking lot. So given what happens all too often, I say it could have been a lot worse. Seau gets my prayers for God's mercy on his soul, and, if he contemplated killing others and only took himself, he gets some of my admiration too.

MJZiggy
05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Given how bad these things can go, I say maybe this worked out as well as it could. Absolutely you'd like to see the guy get help and recover. But, given that he didn't, it's a blessing he didn't kill anyone else on the way out. Here in Cleveland a guy at the Cracker Barrel barged in on his ex-wife and two 10 year-old daughters celebrating their birthday and shot the mother and one daughter dead on the spot. He took half the brain off the other daughter and she is currently in the ICU on a machine. Police shot him dead in the parking lot. So given what happens all too often, I say it could have been a lot worse. Seau gets my prayers for God's mercy on his soul, and, if he contemplated killing others and only took himself, he gets some of my admiration too.
That's a good point.

Brando19
05-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm just pleased that you decided to remain with us.

Me, too...Scott. Glad you didn't do it, Mission. Things can get bad quick, but life is way too precious to just end it.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I could never take my own life. My wives would kill me.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I thought he was a terrible person. We're running a poll right now about hated players, why not express your "shockedness" over there?

I do NOT hate. Hatred is a self inflicted wound to one's soul.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 10:08 PM
so sad from this news. I LOVED Junior. In middle school I wore #55 for football because of him (94-95 school years). He was such a great person with so much love and giving back that it's so hard to see something like this happen. The more these things happen the more I hope the NFL wakes up to these head injuries. Junior is the EIGHTH player from the 94 Chargers Super Bowl team that is dead...that's amazing to me, and saddening. I love this game, but it definitely has it's down side, much of which I'm concerned about with my own health in life. I pray Junior is safe now in the loving arms of God, and his pain is gone...no more sorrow, no more tears.

A sensatibe heartfelt post man. Congratulations.

mission
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Me, too...Scott. Glad you didn't do it, Mission. Things can get bad quick, but life is way too precious to just end it.

Thanks guys. It's amazing where I'm at now with my family and career to think that things were ever that bad. I had a way out and took it, but at that moment(s) it's teetering on a very fine line, and for some, there's too much weight on the wrong end. Had I had to go through what I did then, in addition to (for example) my wife leaving and not seeing my kids every day, it would have killed me somehow. Didn't have a family then. Others get it piled on from ALL angles ... whatever it is, no one will really know. Hard to believe maybe but I'm actually a really positive, upbeat guy, I've never had depression. Just lost a business, all my money, partied too much and generally dug myself into a massive hole. Just had to get back to being me.

I read somewhere else about the depression these football players face after the league. Everything from financial issues, to marital breakups (lose your money, lose your wife), to broken down body, to adrenaline-to-nothing lifestyle... media is making it a big a concussion thing and I'm sure that's part of it. These guys' lives literally CHANGE in almost a heartbeat. Most people don't really experience something to that extent.

Sad stuff... always respected Seau. RIP

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 10:17 PM

"Seau drive off a cliff last year and there was chatter some of those investigating it thought it was a suicide attempt
" pbmax

That's right and I forgot about that till you posted it pbmax.

Suicide is difficult for those left behind. So often it just comes out of nowhere but in this case Junior Seau left warnings he was on that dark path.It's too sad that he didn't ask for the proper assistance he needed. This was a man that at least seemed to be trying to make a difference. We never really know even about those closest to us sometimes.

Harlan posted the query RE: a possible question of a link to 'a concussion'.That issue is growing all the time.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Nice post.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys. It's amazing where I'm at now with my family and career to think that things were ever that bad. I had a way out and took it, but at that moment(s) it's teetering on a very fine line, and for some, there's too much weight on the wrong end. Had I had to go through what I did then, in addition to (for example) my wife leaving and not seeing my kids every day, it would have killed me somehow. Didn't have a family then. Others get it piled on from ALL angles ... whatever it is, no one will really know. Hard to believe maybe but I'm actually a really positive, upbeat guy, I've never had depression. Just lost a business, all my money, partied too much and generally dug myself into a massive hole. Just had to get back to being me.

I read somewhere else about the depression these football players face after the league. Everything from financial issues, to marital breakups (lose your money, lose your wife), to broken down body, to adrenaline-to-nothing lifestyle... media is making it a big a concussion thing and I'm sure that's part of it. These guys' lives literally CHANGE in almost a heartbeat. Most people don't really experience something to that extent.

Sad stuff... always respected Seau. RIP

Some people like you fight real battles and win them. CONGRATULATIONS and good luck man.

Life does offer second chances as we decide we deserve one. Life is way too precious to toss away and there's a victory around every corner.

George Cumby
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM

All the other stuff aside, this, IMO, is the core point. These guys have been treated differently from the rest of us schlubs from high school on. Adored, fawned over, feted, lionized, etc, etc, etc. for twenty some years in Seau's case. Then "Boom!" it's over. How does one adapt to a normal life after living in the limelight? How does one make that transition? How does one pass through that transition intact, yet alone gracefully?

Obviously, it's not so easy.

Seau's public persona seemed likeable enough. I enjoyed watching him play and he did good charitable work.

Unfortunate.

Pugger
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I too truly suspect Seau was attempting suicide when he drove his SUV off that cliff last year. They say folks who kill themselves have at least one previous attempt before they are 'successful'. This entire situation is tragic for his family in particular. How sad that he never got the help he desperately needed. :-(

Smidgeon
05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Maybe woodbuck posted it, but since I have him on ignore, I can't say for sure. However, PFT posted and interview with Lorenzo Neal regarding his insight into Seau.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/02/lorenzo-neal-reflects-on-the-pressures-of-being-junior-seau/

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/will-bunch/junior-seau-dead_b_1473829.html

Seau is the 8th member of the 1994 Super Bowl Chargers to die. They left us in a variety of fashions -- a couple died in freak accidents, several died from heart conditions, and two of the deaths appeared to be linked to substance abuse or drunk driving .... The average American lives to be 75. The average pro football player lives to be 55. And statistics suggest that the longer a player stays in the game, the more likely he is to die at a young age.

Scott Campbell
05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/will-bunch/junior-seau-dead_b_1473829.html

Seau is the 8th member of the 1994 Super Bowl Chargers to die. They left us in a variety of fashions -- a couple died in freak accidents, several died from heart conditions, and two of the deaths appeared to be linked to substance abuse or drunk driving .... The average American lives to be 75. The average pro football player lives to be 55. And statistics suggest that the longer a player stays in the game, the more likely he is to die at a young age.

I think the cumulative effect of these latest deaths and the lawsuits could blow up pretty soon. We could be in for some massive changes.

Fritz
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

One of your old students? So does that mean you are one of those lazy-ass, overpaid teachers who are ruining America?

Zool
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Linebacker Doug Miller was struck by lightning. That's just bad luck.

Guiness
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
All seems very strange. By the sounds of it, he had a decent support system. A girlfriend, close to his mother, had a charity set up. Seems like he should've had enough to keep him going and busy. I understand what some are saying, that football ends and there's a huge vacuum that's hard to fill, but by all accounts he seemed to be well positioned to handle that.

We're all looking at this from 50,000' though. None of us really know what was going on in his life.

Guiness
05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Linebacker Doug Miller was struck by lightning. That's just bad luck.

pb said he was standing under goalposts in a thunderstorm. Would that make it football related? (I suspect he was being facetious...)

Rodney Culver went down in a plane crash.

ThunderDan
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

That isn't the half of it. Doug Miller was struck by lightning. People were with him and started doing CPR to save him. While performing CPR Doug was struck by lightning again and killed. At least that's what I heard on NFL Channel on Sirius Radio.

George Cumby
05-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Gary Plummer suggests Jr. suffered 1,500 concussions in his career:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/seaus-family-considers-donating-brain-for-study/

Guiness
05-03-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't know if 1500 concussions is accurate or meaningful. What's a low grade concussion? By the book, every time you sneeze and see little stars at the edge of your vision, that's a concussion.

But his other point was very valid: there is no exit strategy from the NFL. Exit counseling from the NFL, for everyone from a TC cut to an HOF middle linebacker should be mandatory.

woodbuck27
05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
One of your old students? So does that mean you are one of those lazy-ass, overpaid teachers who are ruining America?

An invalid statement. Teachers are NEVER overpaid.

woodbuck27
05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't know if 1500 concussions is accurate or meaningful. What's a low grade concussion? By the book, every time you sneeze and see little stars at the edge of your vision, that's a concussion.

But his other point was very valid: there is no exit strategy from the NFL. Exit counseling from the NFL, for everyone from a TC cut to an HOF middle linebacker should be mandatory.

Your certainly correct there Guiness.

swede
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM

I'm a teacher. I'm overpaid. You have to watch for absolute statements there, Woody.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm a teacher. I'm overpaid. You have to watch for absolute statements there, Woody.

Quit beating yourself up over Harlan. It's not your fault.

mraynrand
05-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Amen!
http://www.foxnews.com/images/533514/1_61_052209_Letourneau.jpg

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 08:18 AM
The family is allowing his brain to be studied.

Patler
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Ken Ruettgers has started a nonprofit organization specifically for helping athletes transition into the real world:

http://www.gamesover.org/home

Maybe the NFL should do more to promote it or other similar organizations.

One thing has always bothered me. Athletes have agents. Elite ones like Seau are surrounded by lawyers, sometimes agents for different purposes (team matters, marketing, business enterprises, etc.) and who knows how many other advisers. Agents make very good money from these guys, They should have an obligation to help them during their transition years, including planning for it in the years leading up to it. It should be part of their package of services. I imagine some do, but many athletes seem suddenly on their own after retirement with nothing lined up for them.

ThunderDan
05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Ken Ruettgers has started a nonprofit organization specifically for helping athletes transition into the real world:

One thing has always bothered me. Athletes have agents. Elite ones like Seau are surrounded by lawyers, sometimes agents for different purposes (team matters, marketing, business enterprises, etc.) and who knows how many other advisers. Agents make very good money from these guys, They should have an obligation to help them during their transition years, including planning for it in the years leading up to it. It should be part of their package of services. I imagine some do, but many athletes seem suddenly on their own after retirement with nothing lined up for them.

I am guessing that when the money dries up and the agent wont get paid anymore they mysteriously disappear.

pbmax
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
That isn't the half of it. Doug Miller was struck by lightning. People were with him and started doing CPR to save him. While performing CPR Doug was struck by lightning again and killed. At least that's what I heard on NFL Channel on Sirius Radio.

Holy crap. Like winning the Lottery twice. In reverse. That is almost too strange to believe.

They should have taken the putter out of his hand. And given him a 1-iron.

Smeefers
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

That's how a lot of them want it. All Brett could do was talk about mowing his lawn and it's awful hard to force a guy to get another job.. Guys who want to get into business' or side projects always seem to find a way. Hell, LeRoy just sort of wanders around green bay and signs stuff, shows up to events, stuff like that. He still has a billboard out on highway 10 somewhere for a car place. Smaller time players get to go live regular lives, selling insurance or running a restaurant, but you rarely hear about these guys falling off a cliff. The NFL goes out of their way to help these guys progress from NFL life to civilian life.

pbmax
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Actually that number might be closer to a meaningful stat than counting up injury report mentions of concussions.

Studies done on the field at University practices (I think North Carolina) with accelerometers, showed that the act suspected of causing the most damage was repetitive mild hits, not the spectacular ones that currently get people suspended in the NFL from the Chuck Cecils of the world.

Lineman suffered the most, followed by linebackers and running backs. Simply lining up head across head on the LOS was the most common cause of impacts that affected brain function.

In a very significant way, the NFL is quite possibly focused on the wrong on-field action.