PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy On Driver: Then And Now

Joemailman
05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
When asked in March at the Owner's Meetings about Driver's future, McCarthy said:

“Donald’s still on our roster. I thought Donald, the second half of the season, he played very well. His role, as far as opportunities, was not as high as it’s been in the past, but I thought Donald was very consistent down the stretch. I thought he played well in the playoff game.”

Things sounded a bit different at the post-Draft PC:

Given the opportunity to clarify Donald Driver’s future with the team, both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy chose to say as little as possible about the veteran receiver. “I would never speculate on something like that,” Thompson told local reporters over the weekend. “He’s dancing right now. Doing good, too.” Added McCarthy, “No reason to speculate. I’m just going to follow Ted’s answer to that question.”

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I get the sense that TT is less enthusiastic about bringing back Driver than McCarthy. McCarthy though doesn't want to give the appearance of a rift between him and Thompson.

Scott Campbell
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Both answers were very non committal. As they should be. I think you can read a lot more into the situation than you can into their answers.

King Friday
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Thompson offered raises to guys on the PS...he clearly thinks a lot of their potential, and he can't find out where that potential will go if he keeps hanging onto an aging WR who is clearly on the decline. He may bring Driver back at a reduced price, but Driver will have to clearly outshine the kids if he wants to make the roster.

gbgary
05-03-2012, 09:48 PM
He may bring Driver back at a reduced price, but Driver will have to clearly outshine the kids if he wants to make the roster.

as it should be. would like to see him kept but at this point it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone.

MJZiggy
05-03-2012, 09:54 PM
as it should be. would like to see him kept but at this point it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone.
I just want to see what he can do before folks start making all sorts of crazy assumptions about whether he makes the team without even practicing a snap first.

Lurker64
05-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I just want to see what he can do before folks start making all sorts of crazy assumptions about whether he makes the team without even practicing a snap first.

Part of the issue is that we may not get that chance. Driver has a (IIRC) $1.5m roster bonus due on the first day of camp. If TT decides that Driver isn't worth keeping because he's too expensive for what he offers, then he will probably make his move before that money is due.

woodbuck27
05-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Part of the issue is that we may not get that chance. Driver has a (IIRC) $1.5m roster bonus due on the first day of camp. If TT decides that Driver isn't worth keeping because he's too expensive for what he offers, then he will probably make his move before that money is due.

It's my opinion that after all he's given to the team and the community DD deserves the respect of his bonus and to prove his value in TC. DD is still an influencing leader in the dressing room and on the field. Given his limited opportunities last season he did very well.

DD should not 'be turfed by TT' this year. I can see TT offering a renegotiation and DD at least deserves that respect along with 'the BONUS'.

GO PACKERS !

Smeefers
05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
$1.5 mil is chump change to these guys. That's not going to keep driver from coming to camp. Friday had it right. They'll fight it out in TC and whoever wins, wins.

mraynrand
05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
It's my opinion that after all he's given to the team and the community DD deserves the respect of his bonus and to prove his value in TC. DD is still an influencing leader in the dressing room and on the field. Given his limited opportunities last season he did very well.

Dressing room? I think you may be thinking of his influence on fellow dancers.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Dressing room? I think you may be thinking of his influence on fellow dancers.

Nobody has called it that since they traded the diva.

George Cumby
05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Nobody has called it that since they traded the diva.

lol!

Tony Oday
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
See ya DD been a great career your final contract is in MN if you decide not to retire.

Patler
05-04-2012, 09:21 AM

We don't need to see him in TC to know. We saw him all last season. He will not have improved, and may have regressed even further. Based on what we saw in 2011, Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb all deserve more opportunities than Driver, and #5 is no place for Driver. That's a spot for Gurley, Borel or one of the rookies to get their feet wet.

It's time to move on.

MadScientist
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
$1.5 mil is chump change to these guys. That's not going to keep driver from coming to camp. Friday had it right. They'll fight it out in TC and whoever wins, wins.

1.5M is not chump change. There is no way the Packers give DD the bonus unless they are 100% he makes the roster. It will go to someone else when a contract extension is signed. If the choice is giving DD a $1.5M gold watch or being able to lock up both Clay and Raji, DD gets a handshake and nothing more.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
We shouldn't hand out roster spots as lifetime achievement awards.

Patler
05-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Exactly. It's not like these guys haven't been paid while they were performing well. It amazes me how many fans think the old guys "deserve" a roster spot and the pay associated with it because of what they did in the past, even though they can no longer do it. Roster spots are limited, the salary cap is limited. Ideally, every bit of both is invested in the present and the future. The past, to the extent it can be controlled, has little to do with it.

sharpe1027
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I love Driver's attitude and production, but I am willing to accept their decision either way. If he can continue to add value, put him on the damn roster. If not, the guy is still one of my all time favorites.

Patler
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I love Driver's attitude and production, but I am willing to accept their decision either way. If he can continue to add value, put him on the damn roster. If not, the guy is still one of my all time favorites.

Agreed, and I have confidence that what ever decision TT makes, it will be for the right reasons.

Smeefers
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
1.5M is not chump change. There is no way the Packers give DD the bonus unless they are 100% he makes the roster. It will go to someone else when a contract extension is signed. If the choice is giving DD a $1.5M gold watch or being able to lock up both Clay and Raji, DD gets a handshake and nothing more.

If Drivers bonus money is the difference between signing Clay and Raji then I'll eat my hat. His roster bonus is approximately 1.25% (based of 120 mil) of our total salary cap. I say you only cut him if you're 100% sure he's not going to make the roster, otherwise you stick to your commitments.

I would also like to point out that no one is saying that if he doesn't renegotiate his contract, he should still be kept.

No one is saying we should just give driver a roster spot because we like him. Implying that ignores post after post of valid reasons to keep him. We shouldn't just take away roster spots due to a guys age. Otherwise, watch out Woodson! You're gone next year! 37's the age limit us packers are going to have. We don't hand out roster spots for lifetime achievement awards round here.

mraynrand
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Round and round this thread goes, where it stops depends on the real speed of Driver's toes

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
........ otherwise you stick to your commitments.

How would cutting Driver have any impact on their commitments? In the NFL there is no commitment beyond the guaranteed money.

Patler
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
If Drivers bonus money is the difference between signing Clay and Raji then I'll eat my hat. His roster bonus is approximately 1.25% (based of 120 mil) of our total salary cap. I say you only cut him if you're 100% sure he's not going to make the roster, otherwise you stick to your commitments.

I would also like to point out that no one is saying that if he doesn't renegotiate his contract, he should still be kept.

No one is saying we should just give driver a roster spot because we like him. Implying that ignores post after post of valid reasons to keep him. We shouldn't just take away roster spots due to a guys age. Otherwise, watch out Woodson! You're gone next year! 37's the age limit us packers are going to have. We don't hand out roster spots for lifetime achievement awards round here.

Do you think Driver should be given the #5 receiver spot over a development guy with uncertain potential? I see no reason to keep Driver in that spot.

Do you think Driver should be kept if he is no better than Jones or Cobb? I do not.

To me, if Driver is not a clear and convincing #3 at WR, there is little reason to keep him at this point.

Fritz
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Here's a little "what if' for ya: What if the Donald says he'll be happy to play special teams?

He could probably be someone else's #3 wide out, so he probably won't volunteer for st duty, but if he did, would that change anyone's thinking?

Lurker64
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM

That $1.5m does count against the cap though, and you'd hate "bringing an aging veteran into TC where he loses his job anyway" to be the reason you can't resign one of your young guys.

Hopefully TT can defer that roster bonus to week 1 so that he can give Driver a fair shot to win the gjob.

Smeefers
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Do you think Driver should be given the #5 receiver spot over a development guy with uncertain potential? I see no reason to keep Driver in that spot.

Do you think Driver should be kept if he is no better than Jones or Cobb? I do not.

To me, if Driver is not a clear and convincing #3 at WR, there is little reason to keep him at this point.

I see your point. A month ago I was arguing the same. It's a very convincing argument and I don't think he's better than Cobb and he may only be marginally better than Jones if that.

I'll play the what if game though. What happens if Jennings goes down? Who do you lean on? Nelson and... what? Jones? Cobb? Jones is spotty at best and Cobb is a slot WR, nothing more. Driver would be your guy out there who you can count on. The best backup in the league. With the wide array of packages that our team runs, our #3 through #5 will get basically the same amount of work. If you equate our #3 to our #5, then you have to ask who gives you the best chance to win a ring? A developmental guy with uncertain potiential or DD? I think DD gives you the better chance at winning.

Once again, I submit that if someone clearly beats out DD or he does not redo his contract, then we should get rid of him.

Smeefers
05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
That $1.5m does count against the cap though, and you'd hate "bringing an aging veteran into TC where he loses his job anyway" to be the reason you can't resign one of your young guys.

Hopefully TT can defer that roster bonus to week 1 so that he can give Driver a fair shot to win the gjob.

Neither of those guys need to get resigned this year.

Lurker64
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Neither of those guys need to get resigned this year.

Lang and Jennings are due this year. We want to keep both.

Patler
05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's a little "what if' for ya: What if the Donald says he'll be happy to play special teams?

He could probably be someone else's #3 wide out, so he probably won't volunteer for st duty, but if he did, would that change anyone's thinking?

Not for me if he is still just the #5 receiver. At least one spot at most position groups should have a development aspect to it. Cobb was that last year at WR. Swain, Nelson and Jones before that. (Jennings sort of leapfrogged it)

If Driver is not a clear-cut #3 on the depth chart, I would sooner see a younger guy with potential. If it turns out that none of the young guys show potential, then, maybe.

I think you always have to give consideration to the future. It's not guaranteed that Jennings will be here in 2013. Both Jones and Nelson signed three year deals, I think. Either could leave after that. I would feel better with a young guy that may (or may not) provide a level of protection if one of the three leaves. Driver will not.

Lurker64
05-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Not for me if he is still just the #5 receiver. At least one spot at most position groups should have a development aspect to it. Cobb was that last year at WR. Swain, Nelson and Jones before that. (Jennings sort of leapfrogged it)

If Driver is not a clear-cut #3 on the depth chart, I would sooner see a younger guy with potential. If it turns out that none of the young guys show potential, then, maybe.

It is conceivable that the Packers keep 6 WRs this year, that sort of thing is fairly common in NFL circles. Last year after TC we had 10 WRs+FBs+TEs. You could keep (for example) 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 1 FB and not change the numbers at any other position.

Patler
05-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I see your point. A month ago I was arguing the same. It's a very convincing argument and I don't think he's better than Cobb and he may only be marginally better than Jones if that.

I'll play the what if game though. What happens if Jennings goes down? Who do you lean on? Nelson and... what? Jones? Cobb? Jones is spotty at best and Cobb is a slot WR, nothing more. Driver would be your guy out there who you can count on. The best backup in the league. With the wide array of packages that our team runs, our #3 through #5 will get basically the same amount of work. If you equate our #3 to our #5, then you have to ask who gives you the best chance to win a ring? A developmental guy with uncertain potiential or DD? I think DD gives you the better chance at winning.

Once again, I submit that if someone clearly beats out DD or he does not redo his contract, then we should get rid of him.

If Driver is no better than Jones or Cobb, he provides no better insurance than either of them if Jennings goes down. I would be content with giving a young guy his shot as the 4th receiver, if one of those ahead of him goes down; which is why I would not keep Driver as #5 on the depth chart.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
It is conceivable that the Packers keep 6 WRs this year, that sort of thing is fairly common in NFL circles. Last year after TC we had 10 WRs+FBs+TEs. You could keep (for example) 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 1 FB and not change the numbers at any other position.

As much as Finley lines up outside, do we really need to keep 6 WR's?

Patler
05-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Sure, but are you going to keep Driver around and make him a game day inactive? To me, you don't keep a 6th WR if it is just to hang on to Driver.

sharpe1027
05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Jennings plays every position, so no one WR is going to take over for him anyway. Last year, Driver was mostly used as a dink and dunk option, a great safety valve. He's slowed down, but very smart. He knows how to use his body to shield defenders, but doesn't get much separation. Hell, even at his best part of his career was never a clear #1 WR.

There is no way I would want Driver trying to take over for Jennings next year. Stretching the field is no longer a valid option for him (sure he might slip past a DB from time to time, but he's not going to outrun them). Leave him to do what he can still do and have other players step up.

Lurker64
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Sure, but are you going to keep Driver around and make him a game day inactive? To me, you don't keep a 6th WR if it is just to hang on to Driver.

I think the reason to keep 6 WRs has more to do with "you're concerned Dale Moss (for example) won't clear waivers" than Donald Driver.

Patler
05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I think the reason to keep 6 WRs has more to do with "you're concerned Dale Moss (for example) won't clear waivers" than Donald Driver.

For me, the reason to keep 5 is because you want to see what Gurley, Borel, Moss, etc. has to offer in real situations, and the reason to keep 6 is you can't decide between them.

sharpe1027
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Our offense really tries to generate and take advantage of mismatches. If one of the new WRs is able to create mismatch potentials (whether speed, size or otherwise) and they can play special teams, they begin to look very attractive for a roster spot.

Lurker64
05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
For me, the reason to keep 5 is because you want to see what Gurley, Borel, Moss, etc. has to offer in real situations, and the reason to keep 6 is you can't decide between them.

Well, Driver may be worth keeping (at a lower salary) due to his leadership qualities, while bottom of the roster guys like Gurley, Borel, and Moss are ultimately competing with players at completely different positions due to their special teams acumen. I mean, if Green Bay kept Brett Swain as the 5th WR for years, never playing him on offense, because he was good on special teams, I could see Borel, Gurley, or Moss kept as a 6th WR instead of a 10th LB (say) because they are better on special teams than the last guy off the bench at that position.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, Driver may be worth keeping (at a lower salary) due to his leadership qualities, while bottom of the roster guys like Gurley, Borel, and Moss are ultimately competing with players at completely different positions due to their special teams acumen. I mean, if Green Bay kept Brett Swain as the 5th WR for years, never playing him on offense, because he was good on special teams, I could see Borel, Gurley, or Moss kept as a 6th WR instead of a 10th LB (say) because they are better on special teams than the last guy off the bench at that position.

I don't think Swain was here that long. He was injured one year. Plus, HE was the developmental prospect. Unfortunately, the best we had apparently. Wasn't he kept over Ruvell Martin? Which is more evidence that teams will keep a developmental/special teams player over an again veteran as the #5 WR.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Jones is better than Driver at this point, and Driver isn't going to replace Jennings. In fact, on the outside Jones is the only one of the backups that could (considering Nelson as the starter). Cobb and Driver are mostly slot receivers.

channtheman
05-04-2012, 06:41 PM
If Driver performs at the same level as a young guy, you have to go with the young guy. I would go with the young guy who has potential even if he performs a little worse than Driver. Teams don't stay great because they keep going with the old guy. Just imagine if we had kept Favre ONE more year. Sure he could still play, but then we lose Rodgers. I know keeping Driver and losing an unknown 5th receiver doesn't sound so bad, but the point still stands... and we have no idea how good the 5th receiver could end up being.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2012, 07:05 PM
If Driver makes the team, it'll say a lot more about how much Gurley and Borel suck than it does about Driver being good.

Upnorth
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I say keep Driver but as a coach.

Joemailman
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Wonder Kids can step up. There have been guys from the practice squad before who turned out to have a low ceiling.

Patler
05-05-2012, 02:48 AM

We have Jennings and Nelson to provide leadership. It's time for them. If they can't take it over now, they never will be ready.

My entire argument presupposes there is something in the performances of Gurley, Borel, Moss etc. to warrant a longer look. If they prove to be totally useles as WRs, then sure, you keep Driver (or find a waiver wire pickup). However, since TT upped the salaries of the first two just to keep them around last season, I suspect at least one will merit an honest look this year.

woodbuck27
05-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Then DD will be in TC competeing for a spot on the roster. His season compared to those that might take it if he's simply trashed. DD wins thee hands down. It's certainly in the awareness of any sports fan that loyalty has gone out the window as Pro Athletes age. DD and Packers (sentences) will NOT contain any word as 'loyalty' beyond this day.

Thanks for 'the support DD side' Patler. You certainly fit the bill for a management position.

GO Donald Driver.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2012, 07:50 AM
DD and Packers (sentences) will NOT contain any word as 'loyalty' beyond this day.

Sure they will. You don't get to dictate what people think and write.

smuggler
05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
You guys hate each other.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2012, 08:44 AM
You guys hate each other.

I hate you. Sorta.

swede
05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I know I appreciate the Brewers' loyalty to Geoff Jenkins and Bill Hall. Having a couple of .170 hitters in the sweet spot of the batting order for months on end made us a much classier loser than those other losers.

We can only hope that TT learns to exhibit the sort of loyalty that is required to field a really nice group of young men for years and years...and years... and some more years, despite signs of decline weighed against the opportunity cost of their cap number.

[/sarcasm]

TT's extension of Donald Driver was business, not goopy loyalty.

TT's will handle the retention/dismissal of Donald Driver as a business decision, with the good of the team being his first and only loyalty.

smuggler
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I hate you. Sorta.

That's a waste of a perfectly good feeling. Sorta.

King Friday
05-05-2012, 09:16 PM
The Packers have been more than fair to Driver. The NFL is a business, not a charity. The business of winning means you have to think about your future...not cling relentlessly to the past. Clinging to the past is what deep sixed this franchise in the 70s and 80s...wanna go back to that?

I'm glad Thompson kicked Favre's can to the curb, because it let Rodgers become the elite player who now leads the franchise. In this case, I hate to see Driver go...but at some point, the end WILL come. Why wait until he looks like a completely broken down relic and is actually hurting the team?

OS PA
05-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Is it really that easy for you guys to forget how under used Driver was last year. Also, how well he played when the opportunity was there for him. It's not like he was dropping passes like our other receivers. He just wasn't getting anywhere close to the looks that he had gotten in previous years. He caught 6 TDS in the regular season and 1 in the playoffs. He's caught 9 in a season twice, 7 in a season once, and 6 in a season only one other time. So it's not like 6 was particularly low for him. The only stat for him that dropped off majorly was his yards, but the six consecutive seasons that Driver went over 1000 yards he was either the #1 or #2 guy in the progression. If forced into a 2nd or 3rd receiver role last year, Driver would have been a 700+ yard receiver, but given his opportunities, he was delegated to a sub 500 yard season. Nothing wrong with that. As a 6th or 7th option, I'd say keep him on the team over an unproven youngster. If injuries happen, you can still bring up one of the youngsters. You can't stash Driver on a practice squad like you can Gurley or Borel.

Bretsky
05-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Do you guys have selective amnesia, am I insane, or are you failing to acknowledge that Driver played through injuries for a good portion of last year ?

Driver can still be very effective. By very effective, I still think he'd probably be our 4th best WR (remember I think Jones is grossly overrated by the Rats). I think if given the shot Cobb can move into our #3. If he does not take that step then I'd still value Driver as a good #3.

pbmax
05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I know DD was injured in 2010, don't remember the nagging injuries in 11.

OS PA has a point. Driver does possess a certain skill set at this stage of his career well suited to the slot and short routes. But he was a zone buster mainly, he wasn't running and cutting his way open, or leaping beyond the DB or LB covering him. The bigger question though is, would Cobb, with a year of experience, do it better?

Then does Donald want to be #5? If his targets are going to be near Cobb's levels from last year, he may not.

As for his hands, Donald has had trouble with grip in the past. I wouldn't expect his performance this year to again be exceptional among WR/TE. :whist:

MadtownPacker
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
OS PA has a point. Driver does possess a certain skill set at this stage of his career well suited to the slot and short routes..

As for his hands, Donald has had trouble with grip in the past. I wouldn't expect his performance this year to again be exceptional among WR/TE. :whist:
The feet look great and his grip appears to be plenty strong! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPoCEOfqeKY

Bring back DD!!!

MJZiggy
05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
The feet look great and his grip appears to be plenty strong! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPoCEOfqeKY

Bring back DD!!!

Can't bring back DD. He hasn't gone anywhere.

Rutnstrut
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
If they are going to release DD maybe he can teach Finley how to catch the ball before he goes.

Bretsky
05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I know DD was injured in 2010, don't remember the nagging injuries in 11.

OS PA has a point. Driver does possess a certain skill set at this stage of his career well suited to the slot and short routes. But he was a zone buster mainly, he wasn't running and cutting his way open, or leaping beyond the DB or LB covering him. The bigger question though is, would Cobb, with a year of experience, do it better?

Then does Donald want to be #5? If his targets are going to be near Cobb's levels from last year, he may not.

Wasn't last year the year where he played a couple games without a catch ? If you watched him run he was hobbling around everywhere

OS PA
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Numbers
Driver was
76th in yards
67th in receptions
74th in 1st downs
26th in touchdowns

He had the 4th best numbers for a WR on our team. Here are the numbers for all of the other 4th ranked wide receivers on their teams.

ARI - Chansi Stuckey - 4 rec, 39 yards, 0 tds
ATL - Eric Weems - 11 rec, 90 yards, 0 tds
BAL - Lee Evans - 4 rec, 74 yards, 0 tds
BUF - Donald Jones - 23 rec, 231 yards, 1 td
CAR - Seyi Ajirotutu - 1 rec, 4 yards, 0 tds
CHI - Devin Hester - 26 rec, 369 yards, 1td
CIN - Andrew Hawkins - 23 rec, 263 yards, 0 tds
CLE - Jordan Norwood - 23 rec, 268 yards, 1 td
DAL - Kevin Ogletree - 15 rec, 164 yards, 0 tds
DEN - Eddie Royal - 19 rec, 155 yards, 1 td
DET - Rashied Davis - 4 rec, 63 yards, 0 tds
GB - Donald Driver - 37 rec, 445 yards, 6 tds
HOU - Bryant Johnson - 6 rec, 90 yards, 1 td
IND - Anthony Gonzalez - 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 tds
JAC - Chastin West - 13 rec, 163 yards, 2 tds
KC - Keary Colbert - 9 rec, 89 yards, 0 tds
MIA - Clyde Gates - 2 rec, 19 yards, 0 tds
MIN - Greg Camarillo - 9 rec, 121 yards, 0 tds
NE - Julian Edelman - 4 rec, 34 yards, 0 tds
NO - Devery Henderson - 32 rec, 503 yards, 2 tds
NYG - Ramses Barden - 9 rec, 94 yards, 0 tds
NYJ - Patrick Turner - 8 rec, 96 yards, 1 td
OAK - Jacoby Ford - 19 rec, 279 yards, 1 td
PHI - Riley cooper - 16 rec, 315 yards, 1 td
PIT - Emmanuel Sanders - 22 rec, 288 yards, 2 tds
SD - Vincent Brown - 19 rec, 329 yards, 2 tds
SF - Braylon Edwards - 15 rec, 181 yards, 0 tds
SEA - Sidney Rice - 32 rec, 484 yards, 2 tds
STL - Austin Pettis - 27 rec, 256 yards, 0 tds
TB - Arrelious Benn - 30 rec, 441 yards, 3 tds
TEN - Kenny Britt - 17 rec, 289 yards, 3 tds
WAS - Leonard Hankerson - 13 rec, 163 yards, 0 tds

To say that Driver was unproductive, uneffective, too old, too slow, and or not good is just flat out wrong. He was by and large the most effective fourth wide receiver on any team. He's insurance at this point in his career. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

King Friday
05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
His stats have been in free fall since 2009. At 37 years of age, he isn't suddenly going to get better...and in all likelihood he's going to get considerably worse. I love the guy, but his time has come and gone.

Comparing him to other 4th WRs on other teams is meaningless. The issue is whether or not he's worth keeping as the 5th WR on our roster...who won't play special teams...and has zero upside...over a young kid with potential and hunger to make a name for himself like Driver once did.

Smidgeon
05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Numbers
Driver was
76th in yards
67th in receptions
74th in 1st downs
26th in touchdowns

He had the 4th best numbers for a WR on our team. Here are the numbers for all of the other 4th ranked wide receivers on their teams.

ARI - Chansi Stuckey - 4 rec, 39 yards, 0 tds
ATL - Eric Weems - 11 rec, 90 yards, 0 tds
BAL - Lee Evans - 4 rec, 74 yards, 0 tds
CAR - Seyi Ajirotutu - 1 rec, 4 yards, 0 tds
DAL - Kevin Ogletree - 15 rec, 164 yards, 0 tds
DEN - Eddie Royal - 19 rec, 155 yards, 1 td
DET - Rashied Davis - 4 rec, 63 yards, 0 tds
HOU - Bryant Johnson - 6 rec, 90 yards, 1 td
IND - Anthony Gonzalez - 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 tds
KC - Keary Colbert - 9 rec, 89 yards, 0 tds
MIA - Clyde Gates - 2 rec, 19 yards, 0 tds
MIN - Greg Camarillo - 9 rec, 121 yards, 0 tds
NE - Julian Edelman - 4 rec, 34 yards, 0 tds
NYG - Ramses Barden - 9 rec, 94 yards, 0 tds
NYJ - Patrick Turner - 8 rec, 96 yards, 1 td
OAK - Jacoby Ford - 19 rec, 279 yards, 1 td
PHI - Riley cooper - 16 rec, 315 yards, 1 td
SF - Braylon Edwards - 15 rec, 181 yards, 0 tds
TEN - Kenny Britt - 17 rec, 289 yards, 3 tds
WAS - Leonard Hankerson - 13 rec, 163 yards, 0 tds

To say that Driver was unproductive, uneffective, too old, too slow, and or not good is just flat out wrong. He was by and large the most effective fourth wide receiver on any team. He's insurance at this point in his career. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

How much of those numbers depends on a scheme where the WRs down to #5 are all involved? I bet Cobb's numbers as the #5 receiver were way out of this world when compared to other #5s. All these numbers show is that Green Bay's scheme is different. Except for maybe New Orleans.

pbmax
05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Wasn't last year the year where he played a couple games without a catch ? If you watched him run he was hobbling around everywhere

I thought that was 2010, where they said he was OK but clearly wasn't feeling it until that San Fran catch and run. In 2011, the only game without a catch was Week 3 versus the Bears.

pbmax
05-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Numbers
Driver was
76th in yards
67th in receptions
74th in 1st downs
26th in touchdowns

Its impressive, but the list itself is problematic. Several receivers are terrible and played as the fourth only because of injuries or contract situations (West, Brown). Several players here were better than the 4th WR but were hurt (Hester, Rice).

Second, Driver should be the 3rd WR as he started at WR in 14 games and played the slot in 3 and 4 WR combos. He also played 16 games for the first or second most prolific offense in football. So relative to chances, his production looks more limited. And I think my question still stands, what would Cobb have done in his place?

All else being equal, he probably deserves a full shot at #5. But no one stays the same. He is getting older and is more expensive than the PS guys and he will not be on STs.

BTW, if was nice seeing preseason favorite Chastin "Toolbelt" West on the list, even if it was for the Jags.

sharpe1027
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Point made, but you are kinda setting up a strawman argument. Did anyone say that last year he was all of those things? I sure didn't, and I am not sure that anyone else saying anything that strong about his play last year either. My opinion is that the writing is on the wall (right or wrong), he's not getting younger and this year he is unlikely to be as good as last year. That might be enough of a dip that he doesn't make the team. It has to happen sometime and looking only at the past year will guarantee you keep him one year too many.

For the sake of argument, assume that Driver's stats this coming year were nearly the same as last year (almost no drop off from age at all). Most people would be OK with him staying, so long as no other new WR showed a lot of ability and promise. I'm just saying there's a reasonable chance he is going to dip further next year, it must happen at some point and there is no good reason to deny that it might be this year.

woodbuck27
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82904c73/article/donald-driver-might-be-odd-man-out-in-green-bay

Donald Driver might be odd man out in Green Bay.

By Marc Sessler NFL.com Writer

Published: May 11, 2012 at 08:55 a.m.
Updated: May 11, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.
"Two weeks ago, coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson declined to comment (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828c8fab) when asked if Driver would be at training camp. One major roadblock: the $4.8 million he's due this season, a figure set to be chopped heavily if he sticks.

It's hard to imagine the Packers minus Driver. He's been with the team since 1999, playing in 192 games during that span. The organization understands Driver remains an intensely popular figure in Green Bay, but as the team pieces together a roster geared on playoff revenge, it's no sure thing the veteran will be around for one more season." Fr. Story

CLICK on LINK for the entire story.

GO PACKERS !