View Full Version : Packers hope FA Charles Woodson - Can Stay Healthy

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Camp tour: Pack hopes new addition Woodson can stay healthy

Aug. 16, 2006

By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Packers: Five things to know

SAN DIEGO -- First, it was Brett Favre saying the Packers have an abundance of talent, more than he's seen in years. Now it's Green Bay's other side of the ball -- notably Al Harris -- joining the chorus.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9605060.jpg

The Pack's D will be improved, but only if Woodson can stay on the field.

"Just watch," the Packers' cornerback said. "We're going to be something to see."

As Harris stood in the Packers' locker room, he nodded to a teammate getting dressed nearby. It was cornerback Charles Woodson, who just completed a debut with the Packers where his name barely was mentioned.

That's always a good thing for a defensive back, and in Charles Woodson the Packers might have found a very good thing. At his best, he's one of the top cornerbacks in the game; at his worst, he's a costly spectator, riding the bench with another injury.

On this evening, Woodson was the shutdown corner again -- breaking up a third-down pass when San Diego's Philip Rivers tried to hit tight end Ryan Krause on a short crossing pattern. It was Charles Woodson as you remember him and Charles Woodson as the Packers envision him.

"I can still play this game," Woodson said. "No question about it. I don't want to toot my own horn, so I'm just going to go out there and play and show the people of Green Bay why I was brought in here."

Woodson was brought in to make an improved Packers defense better. He can and will ... provided he stays healthy. That's always the disclaimer when you talk about Woodson. The guy missed parts of three of the last four seasons -- including all but six games in 2005.

That's why Solomon Wilcots, an analyst for the NFL Network, earlier this year predicted it would take Woodson time to make an impact. Essentially, Wilcots' point was that Woodson sat so much the past four years that "there will be some rust."

Well, I didn't see it last weekend. Granted, Woodson played only 17 snaps, but he looked comfortable and confident in his new environment -- challenging receivers at the line of scrimmage and making the only play he had to make.

"This is a beautiful setup, and I'm looking forward to it," Woodson said. "It was probably the right time to leave (Oakland), though the only reason I can see is the injuries. It certainly wasn't my dedication to the team, with the way I would go out there and sell my body for the team."

Green Bay Packers
Out of Nowhere Man
S Tyron Culver

With the loss of safety Marviel Underwood, rookie Tyrone Culver joins the starting lineup -- but only until Marquand Manuel returns to the active roster. Culver has been a pleasant addition to the Packers, playing capably and leading the club in tackles in last weekend's loss to San Diego. Though he won't beat out Manuel, he's good enough to be the Packers' No. 3 safety. Not bad for a sixth-round draft pick in his first season.
Five things you should know
Oakland is not a sore subject for Woodson. In fact, he talks fondly of the Raiders and his eight years there, first saying he "loved" the experience; then adding that he "cherished" his time with the club. When mentioned he looks strange wearing a white golf shirt with the Packers logo where a left pocket should be he nods in agreement.

"How do you think I feel?" he said.

Well, I guess that's the question we'll be asking all season. Woodson's health is critical to his game, more so than most players. The last time he played all 16 games in consecutive seasons was 2000-01, and he was named to the Pro Bowl in both years. The man has talent; lots of it. It just hasn't been on exhibit lately.

I'd mention that Woodson could pitch in on offense, too, except that's not in his future. At least now it's not. First-year coach Mike McCarthy made it clear he wants Charles at cornerback ... and nickel back ... and returning punts ... but not wide receiver.

"We talked about it," McCarthy said, "and I just felt it was in his best interest -- and our best interests -- to be focused on that. We'll visit it at a later date, but I just think (playing offense) is too much."

The Packers have enough concerns on offense without worrying about Woodson. Their offensive line is young and, for the moment, in flux. Their running back, Ahman Green, hasn't had a 100-yard game since November 2004, and is recovering from a ruptured quadriceps. Donald Driver is the only experienced receiver of consequence. And Favre spent most of Saturday's game in San Diego dodging onrushing traffic.

Then you turn to Woodson's side of the ball, and there's relative calm -- which is just the way he likes it. Woodson hopes it stays that way, too.

"I'm still a young man, but I've been through a lot," he said. "And that sort of calms you down. I'm happy where I am, and I'm happy in life. I just want to have fun. If I can play this season with no injuries the sky's the limit."

That's a big if, and Woodson knows it. But the Packers gambled gazillions on Woodson staying in the lineup, and it's up to him to prove it wasn't a risk. So far the results are encouraging, but stay tuned. This could be Green Bay's most significant addition since Reggie White in 1993 ... provided, of course, he stays on the field.

"Do I have to prove myself over again?" Woodson asked. "It's kind of funny, but I don't think so. If you look at the points in the season where I played before I was hurt things were fine. Then I get hurt, and (people say) I can't play.

"So that's the thing people look at: 'He's not on the field so he must not be as good as he was.' But that's not what it was it was about. If you look at the first six games before the injury I led the team in tackles for some games; I played safety; I played corner; I did everything the coach asked me to do.

"However I wore out my welcome I'm not sure, but it happened. Now it's a divorce, and it's time to move on."

GO PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 and BEYOND !!

ND72
08-17-2006, 11:41 PM
I've personally been very happy with Charles Woodson...doing everythign I predicted he'd do the minute we signed him...

And Culver is another guy that TT seems to have found. Good skills and instinct. I think we have 4 very fine Safeties...of course that's 3 with Underwood gone now...but still.

MadtownPacker
08-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I wasn't thrilled by the pickup of Woodson because I am way too familiar with his history in oakland but like I said, maybe the change of scenery will strengthen his bones and keep him on the field. He has the tools to dominate but can he last?

Him and Carroll would make a nice tandem for the next 2-3 years.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:06 AM
I wasn't thrilled by the pickup of Woodson because I am way too familiar with his history in oakland but like I said, maybe the change of scenery will strengthen his bones and keep him on the field. He has the tools to dominate but can he last?

Him and Carroll would make a nice tandem for the next 2-3 years.

If they went into wrestling as a Tag Team - we might name them

" PITCH and GRAPPLE ".

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH !!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
If Woodson stays healthy all year, he will be the best player on the defense. He has more talent then anyone out there and experience to go along with it. I think if Woodson stays healthy all year, Al won't be crying about a new contract at the end of the year because he will a far worse year then last if he's constantly being tested.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:26 AM
If Woodson stays healthy all year, he will be the best player on the defense. He has more talent then anyone out there and experience to go along with it. I think if Woodson stays healthy all year, Al won't be crying about a new contract at the end of the year because he will a far worse year then last if he's constantly being tested.

Yes. Al Harris will certainly get a chance to prove just how good he is.

What an interesting season we have ahead of us. I don't re-call a TC like OUR in awhile, with so many questions.

PACKERS ! FAITH !! and prayers :mrgreen:

test
08-18-2006, 08:35 AM
With Harris on the other side, I think he has a better chance of being healthy.