pbmax
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes, I was surprised as well.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40484/179/2012-offensive-line-rankings

Upnorth
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM

I have been arguing we have a top 5 Oline for a while, however to say they are number one is a hard thing to do.
I dont think they are a clear cut #1, however they are one of the best at many phases of the game.

I think most of the sucsess should be attributed to Newhouse (said while ducking the incoming barrage...)

Joemailman
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I have been arguing we have a top 5 Oline for a while, however to say they are number one is a hard thing to do.
I dont think they are a clear cut #1, however they are one of the best at many phases of the game.

I think most of the sucsess should be attributed to Newhouse (said while ducking the incoming barrage...)

Newhouse isn't great, and I hope that Sherrod beats him out at LT. However, he showed promise and should get better. I think inserting Clifton into the lineup against the Giants was a mistake. They should have stuck with Newhouse who by that time had developed pretty good coordination with T.J. Lang.

Upnorth
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I would love to see Sherrod beat Newhouse, as that would prove Sherrod is elite. I don't believe that Newhouse was the biggest contributor and was stirring the pot, however he was a part of last years sucsess and deserves recongnition for it.

sharpe1027
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
When both Clifton and Sherrod when down, I have fears of a return to Allen Barbre-level of blocking. That debacle proved the old adage that the Offensive line is only as strong as the weakest link. Newhouse was a pleasant surprise.

RashanGary
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
There is a learning curve for smaller school players, especially on the OL where technique is more important than any other position. Some schools teach NFL style blocking. Others do not.

Guys like Newhouse and Sherrod are slower to develop for that reason.

Newhouse's rookie year could be comparable to a senior year for a big 10 lineman. His 2nd year would be similar to Bulaga's rookie year. I honestly think Newhouse has a high ceiling. His trend is up, up, up. . . . .

He's had a full offseason of strength training. He's had a full offseason to work on technique. He has some experience under his belt. Sherrod has an injury. His much needed strength gains are put on hold. His technique mastery is put on hold. He has very little experience.

Call it a hunch, but looking at the important aspects of an ascending player (showing promise in games, health in the off-season, a trend of improvement from day one to present day. . . . .) Last year looks like Newhouses low point and while it wasn't always pretty, it's just the beginning of what he's able to do. It wasn't horrible either. It was pretty alright for a young left tackle. Let's not forget, that's a tough spot to play.

My preliminary player for most improved Packer is Marshall Newhouse, although that could change if a big time talent has miraculous health gains (like, oh, say, Mike, I highly doubt he's going to rebound, Neal) or guys like Burnett who are going to be put in better positions to succeed and are another year removed from serious injury. Free safety is his spot. He's rangy, a ball hawk, smart. . . . Needs to work on tackling, but he has a chance to turn that weakness from last year into a solid spot.

RashanGary
05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Oops, off topic. . .

I'm looking forward to seeing Hayward too. He's the guy who I think is being groomed to be that inside CB in nickle/dime. He's smart, smart, smart. It's tough when you don't have a sideline to set your technique. Inside guys have to play to their help. Their leverage is different on every play, in every offensive package. They're covering good players. They're part of the "unpredictable" equation. He's no Charles Woodson I'm sure, but he's young, has that special awareness for the game, and is physically gifted enough to lock down that slot CB spot. His speed is so/so. Not horrible either. Plenty of great CB's run 4.5 flat.

One year of training for this guy and Woodson can permanently move to SS.

I'm a big believer in guys who break up passes and get interceptions (ie guys who make plays on the ball) are guys who can handle the speed of the game, guys who can anticipate, etc. . . . Davon House was a playmaker at New Mexico State. I'm interested to see him too. He has that prototype outside corner skillset. And Shields. . . . A full offseason. Whitt said he didn't quite get some of the more complicated coverages last year. He can line up and run with any WR, or jump a route when he has freedom, but it sounds like he struggled with some of the zones. If he can get that cleaned up a little, there is some promise there.

Our secondary has potential to be special. Losing Collins hurt, badly, but there's some talent there, a lot of it young with the chance to grow in leaps and bounds. There's some intrigue to say the least.

pbmax
05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I could see arguing for top five if Sherrod is healthy. Love the Guards now and while Center is a veteran shortgap*, there is a vet backup (EDS) and a UDFA the Packers paid a premium for that was a college Tackle and will be tried at Center. Plus another dice rolled on the Tackle from a Florida school with the shoulder issues. Love having the developmentals around.

* coining a term here. Saturday isn't really a stopgap (I hope) but he isn't in the long term plan either.

RashanGary
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
The Packers offense is very, very experienced right now. Newhouse is the least experienced of teh bunch. With Saturday, AR and the perimeter players who've been here for years together. . . I could see teh Packers morphing a little more into a fast paced offense like teh Patriots. You watch the Patriots play, and teams hardly have a chance to take a breath. The Packers spend a lot of time at the line. Gives guys some time to think on D, and rest.

Smeefers
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised at all the Newhouse love. I'd usually defend the guy, but c'mon man. He was barely serviceable. No, he wasn't a complete wreck. That's mostly because we had a TE chipping on just about every play. Maybe you guys forgot. Let me remind you. He allowed 54 QB pressures (5th from worst) and 11.5 sacks. Now, I'm not saying that's the absolute worst, but it wasn't very good. Bulaga gave up 11 sacks his first year and last year he only gave up 2. If Newhouse can make that jump, great! If not, I still think he starts at left tackle until Sherrod is ready to take over. He's serviceable, but just barely and he's nowhere near your long term answer for LT. You want a real pro in there to protect your QB's blind side.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/20/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

Upnorth
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised at all the Newhouse love. I'd usually defend the guy, but c'mon man. He was barely serviceable. No, he wasn't a complete wreck. That's mostly because we had a TE chipping on just about every play. Maybe you guys forgot. Let me remind you. He allowed 54 QB pressures (5th from worst) and 11.5 sacks. Now, I'm not saying that's the absolute worst, but it wasn't very good. Bulaga gave up 11 sacks his first year and last year he only gave up 2. If Newhouse can make that jump, great! If not, I still think he starts at left tackle until Sherrod is ready to take over. He's serviceable, but just barely and he's nowhere near your long term answer for LT. You want a real pro in there to protect your QB's blind side.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/20/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

The TE did not chip on most of the plays, and in fact by mid season our TE's were chipping less and less. Add to that the left side was even more of an area of attack due to Buluga on the other side and to me that adds up to better than what the stats say. Unless the game I was watching was different than the games you watched, I though Newhouse played in the top half of LT's.

sharpe1027
05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised at all the Newhouse love. [/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxL1uXwSrdU

Brandon494
05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
TT doesn't care about the offensive line!

Bretsky
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Can we just all say it together; I've been on of da few homers...maybe the only one...on this point

James Campen is a SOLID OL Coach !!!

KYPack
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
The TE did not chip on most of the plays, and in fact by mid season our TE's were chipping less and less. Add to that the left side was even more of an area of attack due to Buluga on the other side and to me that adds up to better than what the stats say. Unless the game I was watching was different than the games you watched, I though Newhouse played in the top half of LT's.

Crabtree was the designated Chip man. At first. MM does a good job of self scouting. He used Crabtree as a dummy blocker then would circle him in little routes in the end of the year. I think Quarles was big in the master plan, but i haven't heard much about his recovery. he got a bad knee injury and might not be available, at least early.

I know the KC game has been banned from discussion, but man, Sherrod looked good in his brief time in that one. The guy is smooth in pass pro. Great feet and uses his hands really well. He had a couple great series, then beaks two bones in his legs!

woodbuck27
05-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Newhouse isn't great, and I hope that Sherrod beats him out at LT. However, he showed promise and should get better. I think inserting Clifton into the lineup against the Giants was a mistake. They should have stuck with Newhouse who by that time had developed pretty good coordination with T.J. Lang.

Your the OL coach.....what would you do with Newhouse assuming that Sherrod is up and ready as the LT?

woodbuck27
05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

OK the writer 'Evan Silva' wisely uses 'Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus' as guidelines to compile his report. These sites are solid.

I'm a little surprized to see our OL as number one but I believe it at face value given the above. I'm in the process now of using such sites to do a through analysis or the Green Bay Packers Team.... from a purely statistical view.

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !

Pugger
05-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Your the OL coach.....what would you do with Newhouse assuming that Sherrod is up and ready as the LT?

Let the competition begin and may the best man win.

woodbuck27
05-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Can we just all say it together; I've been on of da few homers...maybe the only one...on this point

James Campen is a SOLID OL Coach !!!

Yes.

woodbuck27
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Let the competition begin and may the best man win.

Did that answer the question?

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !

Pugger
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Did that answer the question?

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !

If Sherrod is ready to go then he and Newhouse will have to compete for that spot on the line, no?

woodbuck27
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
If Sherrod is ready to go then he and Newhouse will have to compete for that spot on the line, no?

Hi Pugger:

That would be my take considering that the remainder of OUR OL looks set barring injury.

His experience in College ... three seasons at LT.

Have a nice weekend.

GO PACK GO !

Lurker64
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
There is a learning curve for smaller school players, especially on the OL where technique is more important than any other position. Some schools teach NFL style blocking. Others do not.

Guys like Newhouse and Sherrod are slower to develop for that reason.

Mississippi State is a "smaller school"? They play in the SEC...

ThunderDan
05-11-2012, 02:44 PM

If Sherrod is up and ready and wins the LT spot in training camp you put Newhouse on the bench as your swing tackle.

pbmax
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
The Packers have got to lead the League in Center experience on the team. Even after Wells leaves, you have Saturday (13 years playing), James Campen (7), Jerry Fontenot (16), Hilgenberg (13).

Between Evan Dietrich-Smith, Tommie Draheim and Sampson Genus, you would think something functional would emerge at backup or perhaps even long term.

pbmax
05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Not Drafting A Center A Genus Move?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/151250565.html

MJZiggy
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
My favorite line in the story: "Genus, who in pads looks like a block of concrete on legs..."

gbgary
05-12-2012, 08:29 PM
i would've have guessed ANYONE thought we had the number line, especially anyone in pr, based on the criticism it's gotten the last couple of years.

RashanGary
05-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Mississippi State is a "smaller school"? They play in the SEC...

I read after the draft, they don't develop OL well. They don't teach it like the big OL producing schools. Scouts had him pegged as a bit of a project from my understanding.

RashanGary
05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Sherrod = tough breaks
Newhouse's career couldn't have started any better. He's had every thing go his way, and now he's coming in (my bet) stronger, leaner, better technique and with experience. . . . For him to not get a lot better would be a complete shock to me. Sherrod on the other hand, he's getting another bad offseason. Tough breaks, but he's young. He could turn out to be a dominant guy for us down the road.

pbmax
05-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Miss St. ran a lot of the Run-Option spread during Sherrod's time. Similar in approach, if not scheme, to West Virginia and Florida. They ran a ton for a lot of yards. Passed well, but as Justin has pointed out, not from a Pro Scheme. Though he probably is not fazed by third downs and an empty backfield.

woodbuck27
05-13-2012, 04:39 AM
If Sherrod is up and ready and wins the LT spot in training camp you put Newhouse on the bench as your swing tackle.

Yup and he may well learn to serve as left and right guard. The GB Packers coaching approach to try to ensure flexibility for their offensive lineman is prudent.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Not Drafting A Center A Genus Move?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/151250565.html

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Pugger
05-13-2012, 04:49 AM
My favorite line in the story: "Genus, who in pads looks like a block of concrete on legs..."

Me too! :-)