PDA

View Full Version : STATE - Woot!!

GrnBay007
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
HA sorry if I bore u guys with this stuff!

But I'm so proud of my boy today! Today we learned he qualified for the Iowa State 4A (largest schools) track meet and will be competing next week. He's running the 400 leg of a Distance Medley and also the 4x400 (he's the anchor in that event) Cool thing is there are no seniors on either of the teams - he's a sophomore and runs with 3 juniors, so thinking ahead to next year is exciting as well. They may not come out on top at the State meet but the experience will be awesome for him. A long time ago :) (sophomore year as well) my HS volleyball team went to State and it is one of my fondest memories from HS.

Positive thoughts for the boy!!

sooner6600
05-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Congradulations. Keep at it.

GrnBay007
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks Sooner!

I was amazed at some of the runners I saw at the District meet. Can't wait to watch them at State.

And as I learned this morning booking our hotel room, they rape you because there is a special event going on!! ugh!

My daughter is especially excited to attend..............new area to SHOP! haha (support her bro, yeah, right!)

ahh, what's money anyway! :)

MadtownPacker
05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Congrats! Happy to learn PackerRats makes good parents. :lol:

woodbuck27
05-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Congrats! Happy to learn PackerRats makes good parents. :lol:

Yup you gotta love 007. I'm a huge fan...she's solid.

007 ...GOOD LUCK I wish your son. Have a GREAT weekend.

red
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
good luck. hope he has better luck then i ever did at states

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Your son is lucky there is no black people in Iowa, he might have a chance to win it.

MadtownPacker
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Fucked up! Hahaha!

George Cumby
05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Happy Mother's Day.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2012, 06:52 PM
good luck. hope he has better luck then i ever did at states

Red slyly inserts his past glories in high school, reminding us for the umpteenth time about his trip to the state tournament.

http://a.chff.fncdn.com/Images/BundyAl.jpg

GrnBay007
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Red slyly inserts his past glories in high school, reminding us for the umpteenth time about his trip to the state tournament.

LOL that was funny Harlan!

But Red, I believe you man! :)

GrnBay007
05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Your son is lucky there is no black people in Iowa, he might have a chance to win it.

LOL Nutz, there ARE blacks in Iowa ....( you dork! :) )

Holy Cow, I couldn't believe some of the runners I saw at the District level. Those 100 and 200M sprinters are something else!

GrnBay007
05-13-2012, 07:21 PM
But anyway, thanks everyone! We are super pumped here!

My boy is a bit nervous for several reasons. Of course the race itself and then the fact he is the young boy going and the others on both of his teams are older and have been friends. Told him that shit won't matter when they are traveling together.

He'd never admit it, but I'd like to think he's a lil nervous being away from Mom for 3 days! LOL I know, I know........in my dreams!

red
05-13-2012, 08:03 PM

thank you for comparing me to the greatest man that ever lived harlan

07, just tell your boy to make sure they make clean handoffs

i qualified for the finals in 8 events over my high school career. got DQ'd in 6 of them and came in dead last in the other two. finals suck

GrnBay007
05-13-2012, 10:00 PM
thank you for comparing me to the greatest man that ever lived harlan

07, just tell your boy to make sure they make clean handoffs

i qualified for the finals in 8 events over my high school career. got DQ'd in 6 of them and came in dead last in the other two. finals suck

How did you DQ?

Ugh.........scaring me!

What events were you in?

red
05-13-2012, 10:43 PM
How did you DQ?

Ugh.........scaring me!

What events were you in?
they were all relays

they don't like it when you drop the fucking baton

GrnBay007
05-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Dropping the baton.....probably nerves, huh?

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Dropping the baton.....probably nerves, huh?

When I ran relay races the coach determined that a fobbled baton exchange was due to fatigue of the passer; a lack of focus or a combination of both. That's embarrassing.

MJZiggy
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
You can also DQ if the second runner starts too soon and steps out of the exchange area. That's why we always practiced exchanges so damn much.

red
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
You can also DQ if the second runner starts too soon and steps out of the exchange area. That's why we always practiced exchanges so damn much.

we practiced exchanges for a half hour every day. in my last two years my team only lost (didn't come in 1st) 4 times in the sprint relays. twice my junior year, both in the finals, and twice my senior year, also in the finals.

i don't think it was nerves, we were cocky as hell and knew we were going to win every race. we (I) was just cursed when it came to the finals

i hope your kid has better luck

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
ll and knew we were going to win every race. we (I) was just cursed when it came to the finals

Are you a track guy trying to be a football poster? I don't think you are tough enough for this place.

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM

That's true. We practised exchanges alot. Nothing worse when your coming in for the exchange and buddy is getting on to far and your suckin' wind. That's fatigue.

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
we practiced exchanges for a half hour every day. in my last two years my team only lost (didn't come in 1st) 4 times in the sprint relays. twice my junior year, both in the finals, and twice my senior year, also in the finals.

i don't think it was nerves, we were cocky as hell and knew we were going to win every race. we (I) was just cursed when it came to the finals

Yes you believe your team is really decent until you watch the preliminaries and often see teams for the first time. Realize what your team is up against. It's definitely unnerving. The juice gets flowing and one of the team members trys to burn it and runs out of gas and it's two - three seconds lost...game over.

Upnorth
05-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I hope your boy's team kicks butt! Good luck.

I would post some sort of high school track advice I had, however this fat ass only ran thru people in pads, not on a track, sorry.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I hope your boy's team kicks butt! Good luck.

I would post some sort of high school track advice I had, however this fat ass only ran thru people in pads, not on a track, sorry.

In my day in High School all we had was Rugby. We played sandlot football. . . . no pads.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Are you a track guy trying to be a football poster? I don't think you are tough enough for this place.
Red?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/images/ahmad_carroll.jpg

HowardRoark
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
. . . . no pads.

Really?

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Red?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/images/ahmad_carroll.jpg

So innoscent Mad.

Was that your Vontaze Burfict? It seems ages ago when we lost all hope for that fella. Damn he didn't even look at the CFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82904b07/article/marvin-lewis-makes-pet-project-out-of-vontaze-burfict?module=HP11_content_stream

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Really?

We couldn't afford such things. We were fortunate that one kid has a football in the neighbourhood. OUR football !

GrnBay007
05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Red?

Red, what sexy brown eyes you have! :)

woodbuck27
05-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Eyes that often failed to help to defend a pass.

red
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM

i'm hung like a black man, thats about all i have in common with that no talent assclown

GrnBay007
05-18-2012, 01:21 AM
.....once you've gone Red......

;)

GrnBay007
05-18-2012, 01:26 AM
ok, back to the serious stuff...lol

They are 5 and 7 seconds slower than the #1 seed. :( That's a lot to knock off.

Results in Sun. morning.

Oh, and is Joe's Crab Shack worth stopping at while we are shopping b4 and after the meet? My daughter brought it up.

woodbuck27
05-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Results in Sun. morning.

Oh, and is Joe's Crab Shack worth stopping at while we are shopping b4 and after the meet? My daughter brought it up.

Great spot but avoid the crab unless you have strong teeth.

MJZiggy
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Results in Sun. morning.

If it's the same Joe's we have out here, yes.

red
05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
i use to love joes crab shack, then somewhere out of the blue i started having bad reactions after eating shellfish. but before that, joe's was one of my favorite places

GrnBay007
05-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Hand offs went well but they didn't make it to the finals in the 4x400 on Sat. :(

My son was in two events -- threw up after the first....lol He said it had to be nerves, felt fine afterward and hadn't eaten anything for several hours. Heat might have had something to do with it too. He didn't PR so was kinda down on himself. Great experience though and they are looking forward to going back next year with the same 4x400 team...no one graduating.

Now I can concentrate 110% on my daughter's graduation next week and getting the rest of the party details together. :)

GrnBay007
05-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Joe's Crab Shack was great!!

.....that was after about 5-6 hrs. of shopping with my daughter so pretty much any place that had alcohol would be good!! :) But seriously it was good...I think way better than Red Lobster.

Can't to try the seafood on the East Coast in July!

swede
05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Well since this is a good place to talk about kids...

My son took the Fastest Man award and the Running Back MVP at the National Underclassmen Combine in Whitewater this weekend.

He was timed at 4.4 flat in the 40, put up 185 nine times, broad jumped 9'8", and had a 33" vert. The shuttle was not so good at 4.47, but the field was a little slick and there were a lot of 5 plus times anyway.

He might have been in the running for combine MVP if he weren't so little at 153 pounds.

The fact that a sophomore lineman had 41 reps at 185 pounds and ran a 4.9 40 at 279 pounds contributed to the fact that we don't feel the least bit slighted. He deserved the combine MVP, amen, as he dominated lineman drills all day. Another kid had a 42" vertical that drew a roar from the crowd watching.
Fun weekend. Great kids.

I saw about three kids with the right size and skills to play for the Badgers.

GrnBay007
05-20-2012, 02:46 PM
That's awesome Swede! Congrats to your son!

Is he a junior? Did he run track too?

I've haven't heard of this. What's it all about and how do they get in?

swede
05-20-2012, 08:06 PM
That's awesome Swede! Congrats to your son!

Is he a junior? Did he run track too?

I've haven't heard of this. What's it all about and how do they get in?

NUC combine (http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23100&ATCLID=204982638)

They will try to up-sell their recruiting services for hundreds of dollars, but they do get combine numbers out there for your football player. It was a good combine and skill camp for about 170 bucks for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Combine only was about 90 bucks, I think, for the Saturday activities. It was football, so it was fun.

He's not that good at track. If they had a 40 yard and a broad jump he'd be awesome, but his long jump is average and by the 60m mark of the 100m the long striders are still accelerating and finish in 10.9 -- 11.2 range. At 5' 8" my kid is still turning the legs over but he loses half a foot to the taller kids on every stride. 11.6 is his PR in that event. Honestly, he has such a hard time keeping weight on that he has to burn his training calories judiciously. Football trumps spring sports for him, so he uses spring as his serious lifting and speedwork time. I thought it was awesome that his work in the weight room got him nine reps at 185, but a quarterback who looked like a young Tom Brady got 21 reps and, as I said before, that big sophomore got 41 reps at 185. Crazy!

I do like the updates on your son. I remember when you asked a question about weight training back when he was twelve or so, and it was already obvious then that the kid was going to be a hard worker. There was a collar bone break too, wasn't there? Trials and tribulations.

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
My son took the Fastest Man award and the Running Back MVP at the National Underclassmen Combine in Whitewater this weekend.

That's impressive! For some reason, it got me thinking of the picture you once posted of the gardener who worked at Swede Manor years ago. You said he was a real nice kid, do you still keep in touch?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6100/6343538718_5c4e237af0.jpg

Deputy Nutz
05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Well since this is a good place to talk about kids...

He was timed at 4.4 flat in the 40, put up 185 nine times, broad jumped 9'8", and had a 33" vert. The shuttle was not so good at 4.47, but the field was a little slick and there were a lot of 5 plus times anyway.

He might have been in the running for combine MVP if he weren't so little at 153 pounds.

The fact that a sophomore lineman had 41 reps at 185 pounds and ran a 4.9 40 at 279 pounds contributed to the fact that we don't feel the least bit slighted. He deserved the combine MVP, amen, as he dominated lineman drills all day. Another kid had a 42" vertical that drew a roar from the crowd watching.
Fun weekend. Great kids.

I saw about three kids with the right size and skills to play for the Badgers.

You gotta get your kid some HGH. No other substitute will do. Do you think he can get to 5'10"?

So they test kids at 185lbs? 9 times at 153 pounds is pretty good. Still a stupid measure of strength for every player outside of linemen.
Should test the deadlift. Best weight lifting exercise ever!!!!

So your kid wants to be a running back? Make him play corner. You are spending money on recruiting combines so I imagine he wants to play ball in college. as a Sophomore at 5-8 153 pounds he has room for growth, but he probably isn't going to put on another 50 pounds, he might grow another 2" inches and put on another 20 pounds. If he keeps his speed you are looking at a pretty decent cornerback that colleges will watch tape on. Once he gets to college he will put another 20 pounds on. Then again if he plays his senior year at 180 pounds and still can run a 4.4 forty their will be colleges interested in him as a runnning back.

Have him chase around chickens all summer, that will get his shuttle time in the right spot.

George Cumby
05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
You gotta get your kid some HGH. No other substitute will do. Do you think he can get to 5'10"?

So they test kids at 185lbs? 9 times at 153 pounds is pretty good. Still a stupid measure of strength for every player outside of linemen.
Should test the deadlift. Best weight lifting exercise ever!!!!

So your kid wants to be a running back? Make him play corner. You are spending money on recruiting combines so I imagine he wants to play ball in college. as a Sophomore at 5-8 153 pounds he has room for growth, but he probably isn't going to put on another 50 pounds, he might grow another 2" inches and put on another 20 pounds. If he keeps his speed you are looking at a pretty decent cornerback that colleges will watch tape on. Once he gets to college he will put another 20 pounds on. Then again if he plays his senior year at 180 pounds and still can run a 4.4 forty their will be colleges interested in him as a runnning back.

Have him chase around chickens all summer, that will get his shuttle time in the right spot.

Fuckin' A.

+1x10 to the 6th power.

Deputy Nutz
05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry George. I was been a sarcasstic prick. We had a poster here who constantly ranted about how important dead lifting was. I find it a ridiculous exercise that can cause severe pain and injury if not properly performed.

George Cumby
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Sorry George. I was been a sarcasstic prick. We had a poster here who constantly ranted about how important dead lifting was. I find it a ridiculous exercise that can cause severe pain and injury if not properly performed.

Before my time.

No sweat.

I, however, am a firm believer in the deadlift.

I concur that it is dangerous in the wrong hands, but is a force for good when applied properly.

GrnBay007
08-01-2012, 01:06 AM
NUC combine (http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23100&ATCLID=204982638)

They will try to up-sell their recruiting services for hundreds of dollars, but they do get combine numbers out there for your football player. It was a good combine and skill camp for about 170 bucks for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Combine only was about 90 bucks, I think, for the Saturday activities. It was football, so it was fun.

He's not that good at track. If they had a 40 yard and a broad jump he'd be awesome, but his long jump is average and by the 60m mark of the 100m the long striders are still accelerating and finish in 10.9 -- 11.2 range. At 5' 8" my kid is still turning the legs over but he loses half a foot to the taller kids on every stride. 11.6 is his PR in that event. Honestly, he has such a hard time keeping weight on that he has to burn his training calories judiciously. Football trumps spring sports for him, so he uses spring as his serious lifting and speedwork time. I thought it was awesome that his work in the weight room got him nine reps at 185, but a quarterback who looked like a young Tom Brady got 21 reps and, as I said before, that big sophomore got 41 reps at 185. Crazy!

I do like the updates on your son. I remember when you asked a question about weight training back when he was twelve or so, and it was already obvious then that the kid was going to be a hard worker. There was a collar bone break too, wasn't there? Trials and tribulations.

SWEDE..............ready for some Friday Night Football????!! :) :) :)

Our boys are in camp this week and start 2 a days next week. Hope we get a break in the weather here it's been crazy hot! Yeah, he had a collar bone break in football and fracture of the eye socket in baseball....but we don't like to think about those things anymore....lol He made it through 2 sports with no injuries...knock on wood!!!!

Do they do 2 a days there? Didn't do them here last year and are this year but weird schedule as the 2nd one is during the hottest part of the day.

GrnBay007
08-01-2012, 01:18 AM
as a Sophomore at 5-8 153 pounds he has room for growth, but he probably isn't going to put on another 50 pounds, he might grow another 2" inches and put on another 20 pounds. If he keeps his speed you are looking at a pretty decent cornerback that colleges will watch tape on. Once he gets to college he will put another 20 pounds on. Then again if he plays his senior year at 180 pounds and still can run a 4.4 forty their will be colleges interested in him as a runnning back.

How the heck do you get them to put on more weight????!!!!

They never stop running long enough to pack the calories lol My kid goes in splurts sometimes eating a lot and other times can't get him to sit still to eat.

Went to a new doc for his sports physical this year and he said he needs to put on weight (6'1" 165) Said to throw protein in him like crazy. Said it's amazing to watch the kids going from HS football to college football put on 40-50 lbs. (can't image!) Said he had college roommates playing football that would come home and take out the George Foreman grill and throw a hunk of meat on there....meat hanging out the sides.....and eat it just for a snack. lol