PDA

View Full Version : Before checking this thread....Packer fans. How would you Rank our WR's? This may surprize you.

woodbuck27
05-13-2012, 07:55 AM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

2011 WIDE RECEIVERS. Regular season totals, and playoffs not included.
Revised as of 1/2/2012

a) Greg Jennings? Was he your number one?

b) Jordy Nelson? A Top 25 WR in the NFL or not?

c) Are you tossing James Jones out like yesterdays wash water? Is this a good time for TT to use James Jones value and trade him before he departs with no secure compensation in return?

d) What about Packer fan favourite Donald Driver? Can he still be a contributor this season or if his time is up? Can you agree with that possible decision based solely or focused on this report? What might DD's ranking be if he was released and signed by 'the Lions or Bears' and became a primary target? Would DD help those teams offense?

e) Where's Randall Cobb located in this report? What do you believe will be MM's plans for this young talent?

GO PACKERS !

Tony Oday
05-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Jordy is not a number 1. I think he is a stud 2 with Jennings on the other side.

Upnorth
05-13-2012, 09:16 AM
While I agree Jennings is better than Nelson, this supports just how good Nelson is as a player. He makes the most of his opportunities. Also the over all high placing of all five wrs shows how good Arod is at implementing MM attack plan. It was fun last year!

smuggler
05-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Nelson might be a #1 on another team, but not every other team. Jennings is #1 on all but like 3 or 4 other squads.

Lol... Our WRs rank 1st, 4th, 14th, 17th in the entire league..... and then Cobb would would have been 3rd if he'd seen enough passes. Just crazy.

Pugger
05-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Jordy is not a number 1. I think he is a stud 2 with Jennings on the other side.

On some teams he might be...

Pugger
05-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Nelson might be a #1 on another team, but not every other team. Jennings is #1 on all but like 3 or 4 other squads.

Lol... Our WRs rank 1st, 4th, 14th, 17th in the entire league..... and then Cobb would would have been 3rd if he'd seen enough passes. Just crazy.

GMTA ;-)

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 07:39 AM

Looking at DYAR and Ranking in that category (minimum 50 pass's and '92 players' ranked):

J. Nelson = 2nd

96 passes; 1263 yds; 1,427 EYds; 15 TD; 71% Catch Rate; 0 Fumbles

G. Jennings = 12th

101 passes; 949 yds; 1,098 EYds; 9 TD; 66% Catch Rate; 0 Fumbles

J. Jones = 18th

D. Driver = 41st

Ranking of '56 players' with 10-49 plays - DYAR:

R. Cobb is ranked NO. 1 in this category.

GO PACKERS !

Cheesehead Craig
05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I love our WR talent, but I like the guy throwing them the ball even more. He maximizes the ability of each of the WRs.

pbmax
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
The number the ranking is based on is cumulative. Jennings missed games or the numbers would be much closer. That does not detract from Nelson's monster season.

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
The number the ranking is based on is cumulative. Jennings missed games or the numbers would be much closer. That does not detract from Nelson's monster season.

Yup. Interpolating GJ's numbers your correct.

It certainly is the case that Aaron Rodgers - Jordy Nelson is a match made in Packer Heaven.

Smeefers
05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Wow. Nelson did have an absolute monster year last year.

smuggler
05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
GMTA ;-)

GMHAPWRAA (great minds have all-pro wide receivers as avatars)

RashanGary
05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Nelson stretches the field. He runs 2 routes to perfection, and the two play off each other masterfully.

1. He runs a straight go pattern. Once he gets by someone, nobody is going to beat his long speed.
2. His back shoulder adjustment is top notch.

If he gets 1 on 1 coverage without safety help over the top, corner backs are put in really, really bad position. Do you play him tight and risk getting torched deep or do you run full go with him and have him turn around and catch a 25 yard back shoulder catch.

Those two routes play off each other to perfection and AR throws them as well as any QB in the league.

Greg Jennings is about as complete-a-WR as you're going to find. He can go deep. He can catch the quick short ones. he can take a slant to the house. He can run any route and catch any pass.

Finley is a match up nightmare

Driver was good last year. Cobb will be better this year IMO

Jones is a good player

AR is the reigning MVP

Jordy Nelson is in a very good spot. Take nothing away from his talent, but he wouldn't be so damn efficient if he wasn't getting as many favorable matchups. He'd still be great if he was the #1 target. He'd get a lot more chances, so he'd produce as much or more. But last year it seemed like every time AR went to him it was a big catch.

GJ is our #1. JN our #2 and JF our #3

Can't wait to see Cobb this year.

RashanGary
05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
I hope Alex Green is healthy. With Jennings, Nelson, Finley and Cobb on the field and a guy like Green who dominates out of a spread offense in the backfield. . . . . Look the hell out.

gbgary
05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
i wonder if brandon would still rather have miles fuckin austin over jordy now?

Brandon494
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
i wonder if brandon would still rather have miles fuckin austin over jordy now?

Miles fucking Austin was injured all last season and didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him but I still think they are very similar players.

Brandon494
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
and to answer your question I would rather have Nelson.

gbgary
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Miles fucking Austin was injured all last season and didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him but I still think they are very similar players.

"hurt all the time"...that's one of things that I mentioned back in the "funny article about jordy" thread.

and to answer your question I would rather have Nelson.

agreed...glad you've come around.

smuggler
05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
If not for the injuries, I'd rather have Miles Austin on a normal team. On our team, you can definitely argue for Nelson because of his speed.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Jeeessh. Miles Mom didn't have much imagination with that 'middle' name. Hope she called him by his first.

gbgary
05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
If not for the injuries, I'd rather have Miles Austin on a normal team. On our team, you can definitely argue for Nelson because of his speed.

injuries is only one of his issues. he just simply isn't as good as jordy. look at their numbers. don't say it's rodgers either. romo has a good arm...it's this brain that's holding him back.

Brandon494
05-15-2012, 07:44 PM
injuries is only one of his issues. he just simply isn't as good as jordy. look at their numbers. don't say it's rodgers either. romo has a good arm...it's this brain that's holding him back.

Since becoming a starter last season was the only year hes been injured so don't understand the always getting injured comment. Also looking at their numbers they are pretty similar so I don't get how looking at the numbers prove your point either. Nelson also has the better QB throwing to him and unlike Nelson had the #1 CB covering him.

Brandon494
05-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Its no point in arguing though because they are pretty much the same player IMO.

smuggler
05-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Miles Austin isn't a burner, but he's a great runner with the ball in his hands, similar to Jennings.

Smeefers
05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought Miles had more of an effect initially. Back when Nelson was drafted, No one (Except me of course, the all seeing mahi smeefers) thought he was going to surpass James Jones. He played pretty poorly right off the bat. Over time though, I've seen major improvements in Nelson. I haven't watched enough of Miles to see whether or not he's as good as Nelson is, but I believe Nelson is on track to become as good as Jennings is.

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
I thought Miles had more of an effect initially. Back when Nelson was drafted, No one (Except me of course, the all seeing mahi smeefers) thought he was going to surpass James Jones. He played pretty poorly right off the bat. Over time though, I've seen major improvements in Nelson. I haven't watched enough of Miles to see whether or not he's as good as Nelson is, but I believe Nelson is on track to become as good as Jennings is.

You've got it. Any discussion of Miles Austin in comparison to Jordy Nelson has to contain the use of these words >>> 'going in different directions'.

ie To be accurate and specific. Miles Austin's career is demonstrating a definite 'decline' for two straight seasons evidence of that is clear. He peaked early.

Jordy Nelson's career demonstrates what the word 'upside' is... in a dynamic sense. He was onfire last season and I do NOT believe he simply 'Flashed'.

In Summary:

Jordy Nelson = Awesome = Upside (possibly!?)

Miles Austin = Not so awesome now = in decline? or it might 'just' seeem so.

What do you like?

Let's clear up any argument here:

If we offered a straight up trade Jordy Nelson for Miles Austin would Mr. Jerry Jones bite?

You got it.

Pugger
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
GMHAPWRAA (great minds have all-pro wide receivers as avatars)

:-D

woodbuck27
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
NFL.Com comments on Greg Jennings status as an NFL wide receiver.

Where did they rank him?

Amazingly there's a comment that Greg Jennings is more accrobatic then the famous Olympic gym superstar Nadia Comaneci.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8292c376/Best-WR-in-the-NFL

woodbuck27
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/09/cosell-talks-the-wide-receiver-transformation/

Cosell Talks: The Wide Receiver Transformation

By: Greg Cosell

" The transformation in the NFL game over the past decade has been widely documented. The expansion of three-wide receiver personnel has been the most visible change. I did not chart every snap this past season, but I believe, as I have said before (http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/02/cosell-talks-the-slot-factor/), that a fair estimate would be 55-60 percent of the plays league-wide included three wide receivers. That’s been the clear trend over time. " Fr. LINK

Article cont'd. in LINK.

GO PACKERS !

Cheesehead Craig
05-18-2012, 11:08 AM
To say Austin is declining is not really a truthful statement. In 2010 he only had Romo for 6 games and then Kitna. That's not really his fault that he had a bad QB throwing him the ball. Last season he missed 6 games due to injury and was limited when he did play (I know, I had him on my fantasy team last year).

He's not a declining player, not like Driver. If you replace Jordy with him and he'd put up similar numbers, assuming he's healthy.

woodbuck27
05-18-2012, 11:32 AM
To say Austin is declining is not really a truthful statement. In 2010 he only had Romo for 6 games and then Kitna. That's not really his fault that he had a bad QB throwing him the ball. Last season he missed 6 games due to injury and was limited when he did play (I know, I had him on my fantasy team last year).

He's not a declining player, not like Driver. If you replace Jordy with him and he'd put up similar numbers, assuming he's healthy.

What did you read?

I wrote this:

Cheesehead Craig
05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
What did you read?

I wrote this:

You also wrote:
"To be accurate and specific. Miles Austin's career is demonstrating a definite 'decline' for two straight seasons evidence of that is clear. He peaked early."

You stated that he's declining. So I responded that I believed that this statement is not truthful.

woodbuck27
05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/05%2F20%2F12_Nelson_won%27t_reflect%2C_just_works/658?feed=2

Nelson won't reflect, just works

By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

GREEN BAY –

"Jordy Nelson has had plenty of opportunities to ponder just how far he’s come in the past year. The Green Bay Packers burgeoning star just hasn’t bothered to do so.

“I’ve had time (to reflect), but I don’t know if I’ve done it,” Nelson with a smile last week. “When the season is over, I go back home and don’t think about football for a while. As much as people talk about refreshing the body, I think you have to refresh the mind as well.” " FR. Story

woodbuck27
05-27-2012, 10:05 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/plumbing_the_nfc_north_depths_wide_receivers/10882577

Plumbing the NFC North Depths: Wide Receivers.

Submitted by Syndicated sources on May 27, 2012 - 7:19am