PDA

View Full Version : Statistics on how much our 'D' fell off in the 2011 Season from 2010.

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 05:54 AM
2010 Season

Here you will find that the Packers 2010 Season RUN BLOCKING and PASS PROTECTION NFL Rankings are at '21' and '4' respectively.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl2010

2011 Season

I observed wist43 and his consistent attempts to enlighten Packerrats with 'the TRUTH'. This member never floundered in his attempts to bring so many members here 'out of denial'. Wasn't it obvious that wist43 was correct?

Clear evidence of 'the state of emergency' for the Packers defense was evident by Ted Thompson's first six picks in April's draft and by the players he did add in Free Agency.

Now that we're all in accord on just how bad our defense was last season. Just how badly it fell off from the Super Bowl Championship Season.

Let's move forward. Here's 'the Black and White' of it;

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

a) Why do 'you' think it got that bad? Why did our teams defense fall of so dramatically from 2010 to the 2011 season?

Didn't we all see the same games? Maybe we look at those games differently? I know some fans that just watch the location of the football. That's as challenging as it gets for them. How do youb watch the game/ How analitical are you? Maybe your simply a Packer fan 'light'.

One of those fans that imagines they watch the game when al they pay attention to is the location of the football,watching the scoreboard and 'just' trying to keep up with 'the downs'. Those fans miss out on what football is really about.

Personally I try to observe a lot of things or change my focus as the game progress's. IMO it's very exciting to focus on the difference between the two teams in the trench's as the game begins Vs 'the fatigue factor' in the fourth quarter. How one side wears down the other. It's like everything else. How prepared are you to perform ... to last? Only the strongest survive in a real game.

The game of football in the NFL has changed in the last six years with so much emphasis on the pass. It used to be that if the Packers got up 10 points that game was in the bag. It got really simple. RUN-RUN-and still RUN the footall. Win the battle of the clock. Just play it cool like Muhammed Ali on the ropes allowing the opponent to punch himself out. Then whammo ... Light's out ! Our QB tossed for another TD late in the game. More than likely that QB handed the ball off for a rushing TD.

Back to our teams defense:

We saw a huge fall off at all three levels of 'D'. The DL, LBer and DB. Tick - tack - toe. The domino effect.

We failed to play funsamentle football on 'D'.

At times our defense ' looked schoolyard ' missing tackles. Players we're frozen or not acting instinctively. Did AJ Hawk look bad? The real question should be.

Who on our defense didn't have their moments of desperation? We saw BJ Raji more likely defending with his face in the dirt. CB Charles Woodson was often out of position thinking he could jump a pass. We saw players guessing wrong too much. Noone did an adequate job filling in for DE Cullen Jenkins...off learning the system in Philly.

We saw a hugh dropoff at Safety, losing Nick Collins to relacement Charlie Peprah, an inexperienced player. Nick Collins is gone !

b) Do you believe the healing on defense has begun?

c) Do you expect a huge leap in our teams performance on defense or will we need another two / three seasons to get it back to the level of performance, that helped our team win a Super Bowl in 2010?

GO PACKERS !

Upnorth
05-14-2012, 08:33 AM
I believe the consensus has come to be injuries to Collins Neal TWill and Burnett combine to reduce our pass rush and our pass coverage abilities. Also all of the LB played down from their 2010 level, with some suggesting that Jenkins was key to absorbing blocks for the LB to work. Also Raji played to many snaps (missing Jenkins). I am perfectly confident that the D will be very good once more and that pbmax will deny Jenkins impact.

woodbuck27
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I believe the consensus has come to be injuries to Collins Neal TWill and Burnett combine to reduce our pass rush and our pass coverage abilities. Also all of the LB played down from their 2010 level, with some suggesting that Jenkins was key to absorbing blocks for the LB to work. Also Raji played to many snaps (missing Jenkins). I am perfectly confident that the D will be very good once more and that pbmax will deny Jenkins impact.

Yes Upnorth it's all of that.

It's difficult to replace a Nick Collins or a Cullen Jenkins but when you need to replace both in the same season. Harder.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in TC with DE's ... Mike Neal ( available for 'only 9 games over two seasons and contributed a total 6 tackles and 1 sack); Jarious Wynn (4th season and 19 tackles ,3 Sacks last season) and CJ Wilson (3rd season 26 Tackles and ZERO Sacks last season). There's a nice battle shaping up there.

Another factor was the decline to what I believe may be deemed 'to normal play' of OLB Erik Walden.

Last season LB Erik Walden started 15 games and had 60 tackles and 3 Sacks. In 9 games with 2 starts in 2010 he had 25 tackles and 3 Sacks. He was on fire after TT obtained him in 2010.

LB Brad Jones ( Available for 15 games with 1 start and 19 Tackles and 1 Sack) Will Brad Jones get to what we hoped he would?

LB Frank Zombo (2011 - Injury 'only' starting 1 game and available for 5 games with 10 tackles and 1 Sack)?

How many of these three LBers do we need? Do we need any of these fellows?

GO PACKERS !