PDA

View Full Version : TE Quarless unlikely to be ready for camp. MM ... ' Status on RB Alex Green and DT Derek Sherrod '.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 12:37 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/quarless-unlikely-to-be-ready-for-camp-o55d6i9-151323195.html

Andrew Quarless unlikely to be ready for camp.

"The Packers are hopeful that running back Alex Green and offensive tackle Derek Sherrod will be ready for the start of training camp, but Quarless probably won't be."

"Alex looks great," McCarthy said. "I think it's definitely going to be one of those situations where we're going to be cautious with him. And Derek Sherrod is really progressing, so I'm hopeful that both Alex and Derek will be ready by training camp. And Andrew, just from a timetable standpoint, is a question mark." Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27: Lots more contained in the above LINK.

GO PACKERS !

channtheman
05-15-2012, 12:44 AM
What happened to Quarless again? ACL?

Fritz
05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, it was an ACL. It sure looks like they'll PUP him. When you think about Quarless, Neal, and Hargrove all being gone for anywhere from 4 - 8 games, it's almost like having the shock troops ready to come in when the regulars wear down. There might be some tough decisions to make, especially at tight end.

pittstang5
05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Yes - ACL.

Anyone know the severity of this injury? Not that it matters now, but I remember reports saying that it could be career ending. Doesn't seem that's the case now, although I think he may have a hard time finding a roster spot with the 20 other TEs on this roster.

pbmax
05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes - ACL.

Anyone know the severity of this injury? Not that it matters now, but I remember reports saying that it could be career ending. Doesn't seem that's the case now, although I think he may have a hard time finding a roster spot with the 20 other TEs on this roster.

It was most of his CLs. He tore it up quite seriously.

EDIT: Or, perhaps not quite as bad as I remembered. It was an ACL and an MCL injury, but the MCL was going to heal on its own. His ACL injury was not operated on until January (sometime before Jan 14th) as they waited for swelling to subside. Nine months out minimum puts him in October before full cleared for practice.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5926/andrew-quarless

Fritz
05-15-2012, 07:45 AM
To me, people are undervaluing Quarless a bit, probably because the team has so many TE's on the roster and Quarless got lost in the wash last season. Remember, he was "only" a fifth round pick because there were some questions about his character. He was a guy who was considered to have excellent physical tools - a poor man's Jermichael Finley, including the less-than-enthusiastic blocking.

But last season he grew up, and remember that coaches commented on his new willingness and ability to block. That's pretty much what he did, in fact.

So, in my mind, you've got a guy who has way more potential to be an all-around tight end than guys like Taylor or Crabtree or even DJ Williams. Don't give up on Quarless too soon.

BZnDallas
05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
To me, people are undervaluing Quarless a bit, probably because the team has so many TE's on the roster and Quarless got lost in the wash last season. Remember, he was "only" a fifth round pick because there were some questions about his character. He was a guy who was considered to have excellent physical tools - a poor man's Jermichael Finley, including the less-than-enthusiastic blocking.

But last season he grew up, and remember that coaches commented on his new willingness and ability to block. That's pretty much what he did, in fact.

So, in my mind, you've got a guy who has way more potential to be an all-around tight end than guys like Taylor or Crabtree or even DJ Williams. Don't give up on Quarless too soon.

I agree, guys got talent for days... and dont forget, he is GODS GIFT afterall... hehehe

ThunderDan
05-15-2012, 09:16 AM

He "body" catches the football. Until he starts to catch the ball away from his body the comparisions to Finley are premature. Of course Finley dropped the ball over-and-over away from his body in 2011.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 09:16 AM

MM would have certain appreciation for his value and so would Aaron Rodgers.

When he's available he's our #2 TE and his athletic ability and growing attitude and focus on learning gives him upside. Until Jermichael Finley improves as a blocker we have a definite skill set there with this TE.

In his first season (2010) Andrew Quarless would have been ranked at #31 among NFL TE's. That same year our NO.1 TE Jermichael Finley would have been ranked around #22.

GO PACKERS !

Smidgeon
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Excellent post.

ThunderDan
05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
MM would have certain appreciation for his value and so would Aaron Rodgers.

When he's available he's our #2 TE and his athletic ability and growing attitude and focus on learning gives him upside. Until Jermichael Finley improves as a blocker we have a definite skill set there with this TE.

In his first season (2010) Andrew Quarless would have been ranked at #31 among NFL TE's. That same year our NO.1 TE Jermichael Finley would have been ranked around #22.

GO PACKERS !

You do know Finley only played 5 weeks (really 4 games and a quarter) in 2010 to amass those stats. He was on pace to be #1 or #2 until he got his knee blown.

Fritz
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I say move Quarless along slowly. If he's not ready after the PUP, put him on IR and let him compete next year.

If he's healthy, then you can cut somebody.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
You do know Finley only played 5 weeks (really 4 games and a quarter) in 2010 to amass those stats. He was on pace to be #1 or #2 until he got his knee blown.

Ohh yea! He looked ridicuously great. He certainly 'flashed' his potential over that span of time with our team.

GO Jermichael Finley. GO PACKERS !

pittstang5
05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Quarless, in my mind, is in an uphill battle.

Reality is, Quarless, more than likely will be on the PUP list, maybe even IRed and probably won't contribute much to anything this year. Since we have so many TEs...decent TEs, more than likely one of them steps up. Then we have free agency (yeah right) and then the draft next year. Quarless, is going to have to be awesome in TC of 2013 in order to stay on this roster. Odds are not in his favor. Just being realistic, nothing against Quarless.

Harlan Huckleby
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Q has potential. (I think there is an electrical engineering joke in there somewhere.) But now he also carries a lot of risk. He is unlikely to be able to contribute anything in 2012.

I say cut his ass and move on. I'm not feeling merry about the choice, it could prove wrong, but it's the bet I would place.

ThunderDan
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I say move Quarless along slowly. If he's not ready after the PUP, put him on IR and let him compete next year.

I agree 100%.

Bretsky
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM

I undervalue Quarless because IMO he's not that good.

Iron Mike
05-16-2012, 07:29 AM

He's no Bubba Franks, that's for sure. :)

Tony Oday
05-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I say take him out behind the barn and put him down, a race horse Jang good after that kind of...wait...its a TE? Well keep going we have 38 of them.

pbmax
05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
You can never have too many Tight Ends on an NFL roster.

Pugger
05-16-2012, 10:24 AM

....not sure if serious....?

Fritz
05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
You can never have too many Tight Ends on an NFL roster.

Or in a strip club.

Cheesehead Craig
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
He's no Bubba Franks, that's for sure. :)

Or Keith Jackson.

sharpe1027
05-16-2012, 06:12 PM

I think Quarless is rated poorly by fans because he doesn't look the part. He body catches, seems to generally have a poor body control and he sometimes he doesn't seem to track the ball in the air very well.

Maybe that's just amateur evaluations stuff, but it's all I got. Please don't take it away from me!

Smidgeon
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I think Quarless is rated poorly by fans because he doesn't look the part. He body catches, seems to generally have a poor body control and he sometimes he doesn't seem to track the ball in the air very well.

Maybe that's just amateur evaluations stuff, but it's all I got. Please don't take it away from me!

I'm curious to see him after he's comfortable in the system (which he should be now). His first year, he admitted that he hit a wall late and was doing his best just to get through. Then Finley comes back last year and the coaches use him as a primary blocker (writing on the wall for Crabtree). In college, Quarless was a pass catcher--not a blocker. It's quite possible (and maybe someone has said this earlier in the thread) that Quarless is the most complete TE on the roster. And maybe he's the best blocking TE on the roster too (I said "maybe"). I don't think you release that, and I don't think you write him off as a receiver simply because TEs don't get receiving opportunities behind Finley.

gbgary
05-17-2012, 12:00 AM

this. although some/most do pretty well the first year, it's the second year after an acl that you really feel normal/strong/confident.

woodbuck27
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm curious to see him after he's comfortable in the system (which he should be now). His first year, he admitted that he hit a wall late and was doing his best just to get through. Then Finley comes back last year and the coaches use him as a primary blocker (writing on the wall for Crabtree). In college, Quarless was a pass catcher--not a blocker. It's quite possible (and maybe someone has said this earlier in the thread) that Quarless is the most complete TE on the roster. And maybe he's the best blocking TE on the roster too (I said "maybe"). I don't think you release that, and I don't think you write him off as a receiver simply because TEs don't get receiving opportunities behind Finley.

I agree with you.