PDA

View Full Version : Packers drafted a serial killer??

wist43
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Was rummaging thru a box of books couple of weeks ago... came across an Ann Rule book about the I-5 Killer.

Randy Woodfield - WR, Portland State University
- 1974, 17th round draft choice of the Green Bay Packers
- Went on to become the I-5 Killer; believed to have killed 44 people.

It was reported a few days ago that he has now been linked to another murder committed 30 years ago in Portland, OR.

I've been a Packer fan my whole life... never heard of this bit of trivia.

Gunakor
05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Patler told us about him a week or two ago.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23971-Worst-Packer-Person

Many of us didn't know about him either until this poll.

wootah
05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23971-Worst-Packer-Person&p=667275&viewfull=1#post667275

Edit: too slow for gunakor

wist43
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I didn't see Patler's thread... just a coincidence that I happened upon that Ann Rule book.

I've started into the book... that guy had some serious issues. I'm to the point in the book where he shot a women in the head twice, but she survived. Her skull was dense enough that the small calibur bullets didn't penetrate. He left her for dead... but she was able to identify him.

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
I didn't see Patler's thread... just a coincidence that I happened upon that Ann Rule book.

I've started into the book... that guy had some serious issues. I'm to the point in the book where he shot a women in the head twice, but she survived. Her skull was dense enough that the small calibur bullets didn't penetrate. He left her for dead... but she was able to identify him.

It was a Patler 'post' on the ' worst Packer person' thread.

Our man of 'all things stat's and trivia', Patler. Certainly shocked many of us here wist43 when we suddenly became much more aware of Green Bay Packer '1974 draft pick', WR Randall Woodfield.

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
We did determine that he never really was a Packer, though, since he never made the team.

The Shadow
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
You guys are just so damn young!
You didn't know about Randy?

woodbuck27
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Your so funny. LOL X 10 !

Damn ....this fella was a 17th round draft pick. Taken 428th pick overall in 1974. He came from Portland State University,Portland Orgon. He didn't make the team. He never played one snap in the NFL.

We've got members on this forum that will forget Donald Driver the week after TT releases him sometime midway through TC. How would you ever expect many Green Bay Packer fans to remember this creepo?

wist43
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM

I'm not young... guess I just didn't pay that close attn at the time. Those were some dark years though... wasn't much hope. Main thing I remember from those years was John Brockington and McArthur Lane.

I do remember going to some practices in '74 though, so I assume Woodfield would have been out there working out with the team.

Just passed the point in the book where it is believed that the Green Bay PD informed the Packers of several indecent exposure incidents, and they cut Woodfield. He never made the active roster.

pbmax
05-16-2012, 08:34 AM
The coaches always said he "has a mean streak" and "wasn't afraid". But when they said he "was a little off" followed by "but not in a good way", everyone thought it was a transcription error.

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm not young... guess I just didn't pay that close attn at the time. Those were some dark years though... wasn't much hope. Main thing I remember from those years was John Brockington and McArthur Lane.

I do remember going to some practices in '74 though, so I assume Woodfield would have been out there working out with the team.

Just passed the point in the book where it is believed that the Green Bay PD informed the Packers of several indecent exposure incidents, and they cut Woodfield. He never made the active roster.

Applebee's wasn't around back in 1974. It couldn't be the Old Milwaukee Suds. That stuff is marketed everywhere. Was it anything about the Packers that set this man's heart to the dark side.

Wasn't there someting about this fella that the Regional Scout might have detected before we selected him in the 1974 draft? What was it that the scout loved about this guy? Maybe it really hurt this young fella to be cut and considering the intelligence of the organization back then.

Maybe he decided he was...scorned by dumbness. He observed the Green Bay Packers organization after with nothing but contempt. That drove him to madness as he obsessed. I don't know just wondering..imagining.

Flashback !!!

Back to the reality of what we had as a team; of what Packer fans had to enjoy in those sad days.

What we had to deal with with team leadership after Vince Lombardi.

It was like our team was cursed because it got so stupid. When I read any complaint by a newer Packer fan. That's any fan with 10 - 15 years in as a Packer fan. I have to contain myself. Be very patient with that fan that simply cannot know. That fan hasn't a clue in terms of what failure and Packers really means. That fan that may piss on our last starting QB.

That's just ignorance or wrong in terms of Packer history. The Packer fan that acts all pissy. That's a a Packer fan that has been ridicuously spoiled. A Packer fan that hasn't a clue.

What was going on back when Randall Woodfield was drafted (1974)?

As you'll recall lousy personnel decisions typified this time period. Do any here recall the trade in 1974 when YIKES ... Dan Devine acting as GM sent... five 1975 and 1976 draft picks (2 X 1st rd. picks, 2 X 2nd Rd. picks and a 3rd) to the LA Rams for 'over the hill quarterback' John Hadl, who crashed in Green Bay over what? ......one - two seasons? There was a lesson forever for Packer fans. Hello Washington Redskins...and Good Luck.

As us Older fans will re-call.

It was two dozen seasons of near HELL; as after Vince Lombardi we had little to give us hope. One HC after the other failed more miseranbly than the one before him. We waited and waited so patiently and never lost hope.

That hope was rewarded in the form of a second round draft pick. A QB from a Southern University attained in a trade by an astute Packer GM in return for a first round draft pick. That same GM brought in a bright young HC from the San Francisco organization before making the prementioned trade. Then we have that same GM bringing in a Free Agent named Reggie White and it began to fall in place.

Maybe? the pathetic state of the Green Bay Packers... the perceived dumbness of the Packer Organization in 1974 set Randall Woodfield off and the rest transpired inside the darkness of his life.

I write 'just' maybe?

The GOOD NEWS ! We're alright now !!

GO PACKERS !

Pugger
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm on the wrong side of 50. :-] Who is Randy??

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm on the wrong side of 50. :-] Who is Randy??

Randall 'Randy' Woodfield.

Pugger
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Randall 'Randy' Woodfield.

Hmmm...doesn't ring a bell.... :cnf:

woodbuck27
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Hmmm...doesn't ring a bell.... :cnf:

Ohh OK Pugger;

I'm 'just' guessing now that you havn't been following this or another thread; where Patler introduces former Packer late draft pick (1974) WR Randall Woodfield to Packer fans... again.

The same Randall Woodfield who was identified as an American serial killer. Maybe you'be not heard of The I-5 Killer who committed very severe crimes (including tens of murders) along the Interstate 5 corridor running through Washington, Oregon, and California.

See this LINK and Early Life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Woodfield

Pugger
05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
OH! Now I remember. :oops: :lol:

woodbuck27
05-17-2012, 07:41 AM
OH! Now I remember. :oops: :lol:

Cool. (-:

The Shadow
05-17-2012, 04:35 PM
You guys probably also don't remember us drafting J.W. Booth in the 1857 draft.

Joemailman
05-17-2012, 07:48 PM
You guys probably also don't remember us drafting J.W. Booth in the 1857 draft.

Wasn't he run out out the league for deliberately giving someone a serious head injury?

woodbuck27
05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Wasn't he run out out the league for deliberately giving someone a serious head injury?

That fella ( J.W. Booth ) places new meaning on the term concussion.