PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Things I Read That Other People Are Taking Seriously

pbmax
05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Peter King, swallows this argument whole about Drew Brees and the Saints:

The Saints feel they should be credited for taking a medical risk with Brees in 2006. He was coming off serious shoulder reconstruction, and no team was willing to offer him $10 million a year. True.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/21/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1vbYkkJeL

Unless the Saints are planning on taking a DeLorean to a time where Brees was still rehabbing, then his former injury doesn't entitle you to a discount. There may be good reasons not to pay Brees what he and Tom Condon want, but this isn't one of them.

pbmax
05-22-2012, 08:34 AM
They should let Jim Miller (former NFL exec, not the QB/radio guy) write this column.

Sometimes contracts are delivered on a velvet pillow. After I left the Saints, I was chief negotiator for the Chicago Bears, during which time we drafted linebacker Brian Urlacher. When I met Urlacher's agent for the first time, he shocked me by saying the contract must be signed before July 1, a full three weeks before camp opened. His reason? Urlacher was betrothed to a woman the agent did not trust. Under applicable law, any property brought into the marriage by either party before July 1 was not subject to community property laws which were triggered by the matrimonial vows. The agent wanted to protect the signing bonus in the event the marriage failed. Urlacher became the first player in the 2000 NFL draft to sign a contract, and he did eventually divorce his wife.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/21/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1vbaD4rSu

:jack:

Two posts in and I'm need to re-title the thread.

Cheesehead Craig
05-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Here's one I just can't believe:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?13510-OFFICIAL-BRETT-THE-LIVING-LEGEND-THREAD/

pbmax
05-22-2012, 09:11 AM

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?13510-OFFICIAL-BRETT-THE-LIVING-LEGEND-THREAD/

Troublemaker.

sharpe1027
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Peter King, swallows this argument whole about Drew Brees and the Saints:

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/21/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1vbYkkJeL

Unless the Saints are planning on taking a DeLorean to a time where Brees was still rehabbing, then his former injury doesn't entitle you to a discount. There may be good reasons not to pay Brees what he and Tom Condon want, but this isn't one of them.

I agree. They already got "credited" with 5 years of outstanding QB play that included a super bowl.

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I agree. They already got "credited" with 5 years of outstanding QB play that included a super bowl.

Seems like the Saints are the ones that got the deal.

The Saints had so much momentum built up, and were finally considered a decent and repectable franchise and they want to pull this shit with the QB that turned their team and franchise around. The Packers were always good with giving out money to the players that deserved it. Favre never had a contract issue, and neither will Rodgers.

Zool
05-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Seems like the Saints are the ones that got the deal.

The Saints had so much momentum built up, and were finally considered a decent and repectable franchise and they want to pull this shit with the QB that turned their team and franchise around. The Packers were always good with giving out money to the players that deserved it. Favre never had a contract issue, and neither will Rodgers.

QB is far and away the most important piece on the field. The Saints are just being stupid now.

smuggler
05-22-2012, 10:58 AM
They're really in a cap bind because of their free spending earlier in the offseason. It'll be interesting to watch it play out.

pbmax
05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Its a good day for Dumb.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/204960445168226304
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
NFL makes it mandatory for players to wear knee and thigh pads starting in 2013.

Maybe if took our idea of a football HANS device and incorporated airbags, that might help. You could could have the best video game playing 13-year old in a booth with his finger on a trigger. He sees James Harrison headed for the QB's head from the blindside -click- Airbag Deployed. If we can bounce a rover on Mars with the things, we can build one for someone's head and the James Harrison effect.

smuggler
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I think we should just make James Harrison go around without a helmet. Or a helmet with the airbag attached, deployed at the coin toss before the game.

pbmax
05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
I think we should just make James Harrison go around without a helmet. Or a helmet with the airbag attached, deployed at the coin toss before the game.

There is an issue about the hard shell helmet doesn't do as much as it could for dissipating force like a bike helmet does. It does do a fantastic job of preventing lacerations and skull fractures. It does such a good job players now consider it their third shoulder pad.

smuggler
05-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's an idiotic thing I read on NFL.com: Aaron Rodgers is the 5th best QB in the NFL. The top 4?

1. Eli
2. Brady
3. Rapistberger
4. Breesus

Upnorth
05-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Here's an idiotic thing I read on NFL.com: Aaron Rodgers is the 5th best QB in the NFL. The top 4?

1. Eli
2. Brady
3. Rapistberger
4. Breesus

Now that is the stupidest thing I have read that is football related in a long time. (I don't consider the Favre thread to be football related any longer, just a never ending string of insanity)

Pugger
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM

1. Eli
2. Brady
3. Rapistberger
4. Breesus

What drunk authored this gem? I'll have to go to that website for a laugh...

pbmax
05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
I will wait to rip the Eli pick after the Packers demonstrate they can play reasonable defense against him.

But its still evidence of picking one player as the best because the team won the Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
05-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Yea. That thread will never last.

woodbuck27
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
What drunk authored this gem? I'll have to go to that website for a laugh...

It would depend on the context of the question RE: which QB is best in terms of this or that.

Clearly it's difficult to not find for Eli Manning as the best QB in the clutch or the most focused QB inspite of adversity. He's wom two Super Bowls in the last four seasons.

You might be surprized to find out that the best QB in the NFL in a last play effort deep in enemy territory was no other than Tim Tebow. Of course it was contingent on the CB blowing coverage by falling to the ground.

If you take all of the skils of a QB which QB would the experts choose for one play? That would be Big Ben based on his entire skill set.

Want to talk stats? Who's clearly better in terms of the results last season? Sorry Aaron Rodgers misses out to Drew Brees there. Part of that is because MM rested him in our season final which cost him in terms of an even bigger monster year. Still Brees wins there.

If you wanted to start an NFL franchise who would you choose? Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newton and if it was Aaron Rodgers why?

When it comes down to NFL QB's and best. It depends upon the specific question.

George Cumby
05-23-2012, 12:02 AM
It would depend on the context of the question RE: which QB is best in terms of this or that.

Clearly it's difficult to not find for Eli Manning as the best QB in the cluth or the most focused QB inspite of adversity. He's wom two Super Bowls in that last four seasons.

You might be surprized to find out that the best QB in the NFL in a last play effort deep in enemy territory was no other than Tim Tebow.

If you take all of the skils of a QB which QB would the experts choose for one play? That would be Big Ben based on his entire skill set.

Want to talk stats? Who's clearly better in terms of the results last season/ Sorry Aaron Rodgers misses out to Drew Brees there. Part of that is because MM rested him in our season final which cost him in terms of an even bigger monster year. Still Brees wins there.

If you wanted to start an NFL franchise who would you choose? Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newton and if it was Aaron Rodgers why?

I was going to accuse you of going off of your meds and then I read the last sentence of your post.

Good point.

Well taken.

woodbuck27
05-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I was going to accuse you of going off of your meds and then I read the last sentence of your post.

Good point.

Well taken.

If you mean tylanol? I didn't need any today. The weather here has been lovely.

Smeefers
05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Good point.

Well taken.

Agreed, it started to look rambling and then he wrapped it up quite nicely.

I would rather have A-Rod because he doesn't make mistakes. Honestly though, I wouldn't be upset with either of them

pbmax
06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Dennis Tweeted the following today:

Dennis Krause ‏@DennisKrause1
Two very different NFL cuts yesterday. Class act Aaron Kampman and maybe one of the most over-hyped players in NFL history, Chad Ochocinco.

Dennis seems to be trying to have it both ways. Its easy to say Kampman is a class act compared to Ochocinco's over publicized non-sense.

However, I detect, in the use of over-hyped rather than showboating or grandstanding and by comparing them at the date of their cut, that Dennis is saying Kampman was a better pro as well.

Without resorting to Google, Advanced NFL stats or profootballreference, I think Krause is an idiot if he is indeed making this point. Ochocinco was a far better receiver for longer than Kampman was a DE.

As far as hype, I thoroughly enjoyed having Ochocinco in the League. And I am dubious Krause ever even met Ocho. Damning with faint media criticism I say, in both ways. Krause is really complaining about things he would rather not be covered and his criticism, even read favorably, is trite and meaningless.

What say you?

pbmax
06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
I am outraged that people are not sharing my Krause inspired outrage.

smuggler
06-10-2012, 01:52 PM
DEs are more valuable than WRs, though

Lurker64
06-11-2012, 01:32 AM
I think Krause is very much going overboard with the Ochocinco hate. Chad enjoyed attention, but was a very productive player in Cincinnati for a number of years. Chad is a 3 time All-Pro, Kampman never got above the 2nd team (and only made the 2nd team twice.)

DEs are probably more important than WRs, but Chad Johnson/Ochocinco was a better WR than Aaron Kampman was a DE.

Upnorth
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
I think Krause is very much going overboard with the Ochocinco hate. Chad enjoyed attention, but was a very productive player in Cincinnati for a number of years. Chad is a 3 time All-Pro, Kampman never got above the 2nd team (and only made the 2nd team twice.)

DEs are probably more important than WRs, but Chad Johnson/Ochocinco was a better WR than Aaron Kampman was a DE.

While I will concede that Johnson was all pro three times, how many did he really deserve? He was an excellent receiver, but I think he only deserved one all pro. He became a product of his own hype, where as Kampman quietly went about his business. I would argue that Kampman also should have earned one all pro nod.
That being said Johnson had a longer peak than Kampman and had a better career on field value.

pbmax
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
https://twitter.com/PackerReport/status/215298966294757376

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
Things I wouldn't know without Pro football Focus: @cjwilson95 ranked sixth among 3-4 DEs in run-stop percentage.

Boy, I like Pro Football Focus, but I didn't think Wilson was that good.

smuggler
06-20-2012, 11:52 PM
He'd have to be good at stopping the run, otherwise, why even put him out on the field?

Fritz
06-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Peter King swallows.

Had to fix the first line of your post.

pbmax
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Too bad, Prisco is usually a good read:

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS

II's great the NFL rooks are going to the Hall, but the sense of past players is lost on this generation. All they know is Madden ratings.
Retweeted by Jason Wilde

Wilde should get dinged for retweeting this as well. As I replied, I am 99% sure Paul Hornung spent very little time worrying about Johnny Blood McNally. This kind of thought is an old person coming to grips with his mortality by being angry with youth he doesn't know.

Pugger
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Clearly it's difficult to not find for Eli Manning as the best QB in the clutch or the most focused QB inspite of adversity. He's wom two Super Bowls in the last four seasons.

You might be surprized to find out that the best QB in the NFL in a last play effort deep in enemy territory was no other than Tim Tebow. Of course it was contingent on the CB blowing coverage by falling to the ground.

Want to talk stats? Who's clearly better in terms of the results last season? Sorry Aaron Rodgers misses out to Drew Brees there. Part of that is because MM rested him in our season final which cost him in terms of an even bigger monster year. Still Brees wins there.

My issue with that list is not seeing Rodgers in the top 5. I don't think I'm being too much of a homer if I think Aaron is better than Big Ben. Eli belongs on the list, but #1? I think AR, Brees and Brady are better than him. In the 3 games against NYG with Rodgers under center we are 2-1. Unfortunately the entire team chose a playoff game to play their worst game of 2011. :-(

If I were starting a franchise the only reason someone would take Cam over Aaron is age. Cam is just starting out. He will be a good one but nobody played QB like Rodgers did last season. Brees put up monster stats but Rodgers had a ridiculous QB rating and guided his team to 14-1.