PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign former Miami DE Merling

denverYooper
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Per Seifert, Wilde Twitter.

https://twitter.com/espn_nfcnblog/status/205326521152446464

Brandon494
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I like the signing, nothing special but adds depth to the D-line.

woodbuck27
05-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I like the signing, nothing special but adds depth to the D-line.

(-:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-former-miami-dolphins-de-phillip-merling-signs-with-the-green-bay-packers-20120523,0,5158218.story

"Merling, whose signing was announced in a press release by the Packers, was a second-round pick by the Dolphins in 2008.

In 46 games he had 66 tackles, eight pass deflections, 3.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and an interception returned for a touchdown." fr. LINK

George Cumby
05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Someone needs to do an intervention with Ted.

I am starting to worry about him.

(I like it, though.)

Fritz
05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Can we call the guy "Merling the Magician" if he deflects a few passes?

What was surprising to me is that they cut Nick Hill. I thought they kinda liked the guy?

wist43
05-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I like the signing too... couldn't have been too expensive, and he should be an upgrade over Wynn and Wilson.

The front seven is looking light years better than last offseason.

sheepshead
05-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Looks like a football player to me. Hope he gives us a few good years.

Cheesehead Craig
05-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Looks like a football player to me. Hope he gives us a few good years.

Well thank goodness TT signed a football player and not a pro fisherman. That would have been embarassing.

Smidgeon
05-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Well thank goodness TT signed a football player and not a pro fisherman. That would have been embarassing.

I actually chuckled out loud. Good job. :D

Smidgeon
05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Can we call the guy "Merling the Magician" if he deflects a few passes?

What was surprising to me is that they cut Nick Hill. I thought they kinda liked the guy?

I read a GBPG chat today that said Nick Hill just didn't have an NFL arm and it was obvious in both the rookie orientation and the first OTA.

gbgary
05-23-2012, 08:18 PM

merling hooks a marlin.

Bretsky
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
LOVE the signing; honestly I really loved Merling coming out of college......perhaps his worst curse

In the end TT is doing a nice job trying to displace the riff raff with little to no upside with better players with upside

Joemailman
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I like the signing too... couldn't have been too expensive, and he should be an upgrade over Wynn and Wilson.

The front seven is looking light years better than last offseason.

TT is signing free agents and Wist sounds optimistic! Where will this madness end? :whaa:

pbmax
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
TT is signing free agents and Wist sounds optimistic! Where will this madness end? :whaa:

CJ Wilson still looks like the starting DE in base D. Its not done yet.

Fritz
05-24-2012, 12:28 PM
What's not done? The madness of all these signings, or the competition?

I hope Bretsky no longer likes Merling; look what his love has done for the Merlinator so far in his career...

sheepshead
05-24-2012, 12:36 PM

I know, people come from miles around for my in depth analysis.

smuggler
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Miami fans didn't like the guy because he didn't produce. A change of scheme might do him some good. However, I sort of feel like he'll be cut before opening day after failing to make his presence felt on the D-line. Hopefully, I'm wrong!

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
LOVE the signing; honestly I really loved Merling coming out of college......perhaps his worst curse

In the end TT is doing a nice job trying to displace the riff raff with little to no upside with better players with upside

he's doomed.

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM

there have been some really good laughs here today, you and fritz should team up and go on the road.

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/05%2F24%2F12_Neal_looks_to_clear_his_name/662?feed=2

For some reason this quote made me chuckle.

“I’m approaching it as the simple fact that I didn’t do absolutely anything wrong,” said Neal after practice.

rbaloha1
05-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Nice pickup. Expect the rookies to make the final roster. Merling is a definite upgrade from Wynn and Wilson but will have a dogfight making the active roster.

woodbuck27
05-26-2012, 08:13 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82948c46/article/green-bay-packers-sign-defensive-end-phillip-merling

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Merling was a second-round pick out of Clemson by the Miami Dolphins in the 2008 NFL Draft. Merling started four of 32 games and recorded 59 tackles, 3.5 sacks and an interception over his first two seasons in the league.

He was arrested in 2010 (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8185910a) for aggravated battery on a pregnant woman, but the charge was eventually dropped (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d81c2c329). Merling suffered a torn Achilles before the 2010 season.

Comment woodbuck27: Arrested for what!? I assume that that arrest was totally out to lunch.

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
05-26-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82948c46/article/green-bay-packers-sign-defensive-end-phillip-merling

Comment woodbuck27: Arrested for what!? I assume that that arrest was totally out to lunch. ![/B]

Perhaps not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Merling

Merling was arrested in Broward County, Florida on May 26, 2010 and charged with aggravated battery against a pregnant female.[3] The charges were later dropped by the Broward State Attorney's office after the accusing female moved back to her home state of South Carolina and did not return to testify against him

KYPack
05-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Who gives a shit?

The kid made this play when he was a Rook. (This video has an annoying, but horny-ass lead in)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d80db09af/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Big-man-can-phinish

He picks off "Brint" and takes it in?

Sign him up!

Joemailman
05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Who gives a shit?

The kid made this play when he was a Rook. (This video has an annoying, but horny-ass lead in)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d80db09af/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Big-man-can-phinish

He picks off "Brint" and takes it in?

Sign him up!

Unfortunately, that's about his only career highlight. I'm okay with the signing, but based on what he's done, I'm not sure that he's any better than Jarius Wynn.

Guiness
05-26-2012, 02:42 PM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/05%2F24%2F12_Neal_looks_to_clear_his_name/662?feed=2

“I’m approaching it as the simple fact that I didn’t do absolutely anything wrong,” said Neal after practice.

For some reason this quote made me chuckle.

Anyone else find it funny how both sides dance around what the actual 'substance' was in these cases? There must be some of a non-disclosure agreement where PED's are only going to be called PED's as opposed to coming right out and saying if it was roids or cough syrup. I was surprised that they disclosed the punter was taking Ritalin. You would think if Neale was taking something innocuous he'd be more than happy to say it was an inhaler for ragweed allergies.

Joemailman
05-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Anyone else find it funny how both sides dance around what the actual 'substance' was in these cases? There must be some of a non-disclosure agreement where PED's are only going to be called PED's as opposed to coming right out and saying if it was roids or cough syrup. I was surprised that they disclosed the punter was taking Ritalin. You would think if Neale was taking something innocuous he'd be more than happy to say it was an inhaler for ragweed allergies.

If, on the other hand, he was taking a drug for something like ADHD (just an example), there are some people who would prefer to maintain privacy.

Lurker64
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Merling's an odd duck, has a prototype body, but he has some "want to" issues (particularly in the offseason), he's hurt a lot, and he doesn't use his hands well (once he's blocked he stays blocked).

Still, he's the sort of guy that could do very well after moving to a city with fewer distractions and great coaches (neither of which describes the Miami Dolphins football organization.)

MJZiggy
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
If, on the other hand, he was taking a drug for something like ADHD (just an example), there are some people who would prefer to maintain privacy.

There's that and the medication for his irritable bowel syndrome...

swede
05-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Great catch, Zig. Thanks for picking up the slack for Cleft Crusty.

Guiness
05-27-2012, 01:10 AM

True. I just find it odd when guys are trumpeting their innocence, but won't say what they've done! Neale's situation is just that - I'd be a lot more likely to believe he'd done nothing wrong if I knew what the heck it was that he did!

On the other hand, if it was Saturday that had IBS, it might be an occupational hazard when Rodgers started petitioning for his release, even if his sweat ratio and butt height are good!

MJZiggy
05-27-2012, 11:58 AM
True. I just find it odd when guys are trumpeting their innocence, but won't say what they've done! Neale's situation is just that - I'd be a lot more likely to believe he'd done nothing wrong if I knew what the heck it was that he did!

On the other hand, if it was Saturday that had IBS, it might be an occupational hazard when Rodgers started petitioning for his release, even if his sweat ratio and butt height are good!

Blech.

Patler
05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Merling's an odd duck, has a prototype body, but he has some "want to" issues (particularly in the offseason), he's hurt a lot, and he doesn't use his hands well (once he's blocked he stays blocked).

Still, he's the sort of guy that could do very well after moving to a city with fewer distractions and great coaches (neither of which describes the Miami Dolphins football organization.)

Has he been hurt a lot? I thought he had really had only one significant injury, requiring surgery on his Achillies that caused him to miss most of one season.

Fritz
05-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe it's his feelings that get hurt a lot.

red
05-28-2012, 06:50 PM

merling was one of two players that i wanted that year that were available when TT decided to trade out of the pick to eventually get the jordy nelson bum.

the other being that flower guy

red
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
i think its safe to say that TT actually went out and did everything he could to upgrade the d-line this offseason

MJZiggy
05-28-2012, 08:11 PM
merling was one of two players that i wanted that year that were available when TT decided to trade out of the pick to eventually get the jordy nelson bum.

the other being that flower guy

See and now you have both. TT is a genius.

smuggler
05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Flowers legit is the shit, but he's much more expensive than Jordy.

Fritz
05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
I was dubious of Flowers. I thought his second career, as the lead singer of the Killers, might get in the way.

On the other hand, I was more excited about the possibility of Merling than I was about Jordy Nelson, though I'm not a big fan of Clemson players generally. Shows you what I (don't) know.