PDA

View Full Version : Pack signs DE Phillip Merling

KYPack
05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Don't stop the presses or anything, but the GBP made a minor move today.

Probably in response to the long Hargrove suspension, Green Bay has signed defensive end Phillip Merling and released TE Cameron Ford and QB Nick Hill.
Merling, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound fifth-year player out of Clemson, played for the Miami Dolphins for the past 4 years.

He was second round pick that only started 3 games. He's solid, but definitely unspectacular.

Joemailman
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Don't stop the presses or anything, but the GBP made a minor move today.

Probably in response to the long Hargrove suspension, Green Bay has signed defensive end Phillip Merling and released TE Cameron Ford and QB Nick Hill.
Merling, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound fifth-year player out of Clemson, played for the Miami Dolphins for the past 4 years.

He was second round pick that only started 3 games. He's solid, but definitely unspectacular.

Get yourself some coffee, KY. ;) http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24047-Packers-sign-former-Miami-DE-Merling

KYPack
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
You can blow this one up, Zool/Mad.

Yoop beat me by a half hour and gets dibs on the Merling signing

SnakeLH2006
05-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Merling played all 16 games again in 2009, but his career then took a nosedive. He tore his Achilles’ tendon and was limited to five games in 2010, which was the same year he was charged with domestic violence against his pregnant girlfriend. That charge was later dropped when the woman left Florida and never returned to testify. In his final two seasons in Miami, he combined to play just 325 snaps, according to ProFootballFocus.

Packer People yo...I'm sure Brando is scrambling to update his avatar.

Pugger
05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
We cut Hill? Will only 3 QBs be enough in these offseason gatherings?

Gunakor
05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
They typically only keep 2 during the regular season gatherings, so i think 3 might be okay for now. Besides, it gives all those other camp QB's a chance to try out for a team they might actually have a shot at making. If I'm a street or undrafted FA quarterback, the last place I wanna try out is Green Bay.

KYPack
05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey, my stupid thread got jacked. That's what it deserves.

I'd think we need a camp arm. Bigger roster, ARod needs a break until we get the WR's set. A camp arm shouldn't be hard to get, but.......

This staff and front office place a high value on reps. They hate to waste 'em. They only want the coaches working with players that can help and make the roster.

Fritz
05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey, my stupid thread got jacked. That's what it deserves.

I'd think we need a camp arm. Bigger roster, ARod needs a break until we get the WR's set. A camp arm shouldn't be hard to get, but.......

This staff and front office place a high value on reps. They hate to waste 'em. They only want the coaches working with players that can help and make the roster.

This is the gist of what former NBA All-Star and current Packer QB coach Bob McAdoo said in the papers this morning. Not enough reps for four guys. And Harrell needs a bunch of 'em now, since he's the new #2.