PDA

View Full Version : Official Whiskey/Bourbon Thread

Joemailman
05-23-2012, 08:39 PM
In honor of Little Whiskey's appointment as Moderator, I thought it would be a good time to start a Whiskey Thread.

Stuff I like:

http://1ou2.net/sujet/quels_alcool_fort_preferez_vous/whisky.pnghttp://theblacksheeponline.com/uploaded/images/large/281295393780jack.jpghttp://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41776_546708393_1963_n.jpghttp://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/shared/preview_product887.jpghttp://www.bullbev.com.br/fotografias/detalhe/715.jpg

I've heard Maker's Mark is good, but haven't tried it yet.

Any other suggestions?

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I am a scotch man myself.

Little Whiskey
05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm a beer drinker myself. that shit tastes like gasoline!

thanks for the thead anyway Joe!

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I have never been a fan of Jack, especially Jack and Cokes. I don't mind a Whiskey Sour every now and again, but mostly just scotch.

Freak Out
05-23-2012, 11:50 PM
So many great bourbons....Makers Mark is a great value...Wellers Reserve is a nice change of pace. Been drinking Rowans creeks lately. I really don't drink much bourbon/Scotch but I sure have a bunch around. Love the older Macallan and Laphroaig stuff. Fuck...it's all good.

MJZiggy
05-24-2012, 06:02 AM
So many great bourbons....Makers Mark is a great value...Wellers Reserve is a nice change of pace. Been drinking Rowans creeks lately. I really don't drink much bourbon/Scotch but I sure have a bunch around. Love the older Macallan and Laphroaig stuff. Fuck...it's all good.
Paint thinner.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Paint thinner.

At least 50% corn. People should get more grain in their diets.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Not sure what he drinks but Im betting these are what the bottles look like.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2010/7/resized_brewdog_taxidermy211_534_0_0.jpg

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks Freak. Now where are those Canadians to rate the Canadian Whiskeys?

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Paint thinner.

Damn. AA is free.

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Regarding Canadian Whiskey, or rye as we call it locally, I preferred Crown Royal,then Gibsons Silver. Canadian Club, or CC, which most of the world uses is about a hair above FIve Star in quality, so its close to Ziggy's paint thinner in my opinion.
For scotch I liked The Glenlivet 12 or Oban 18.
For irish wiskey I like Jamieson (I think its hard to remeber the night before when you drink Jamieson!)
Didn't drink much Jack or Jim except together in a Snakebite.

One last point, I haven't drank since 2006 so could be missing out on some new goodones (and it might have been Oban 15)

Zool
05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
McCallan or Glenlivet is as fancy as I have gotten for Scotch

Being Irish, Jack and Ginger is the current drink of choice when going cheap.

woodbuck27
05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
McCallan or Glenlivet is as fancy as I have gotten for Scotch

Being Irish, Jack and Ginger is the current drink of choice when going cheap.

Excellent stuff here on Packerrats. A booze thread. A time to be sociable.

Zool. . . . Good Lordy. Jack and Ginger !? Are we discussin cocktails or yer friends? An Irishman mixing Jack with his Ginger beer!?? Hard to imagine.

So yer Irish. All these years Zool and I was 'a thinkin' tha you'd be the type ta salute... well... let's leave that.

Top of da day ta yaa sonny.

woodbuck27
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I am a scotch man myself.

Good single Malt Scotch well almost any Scotch beats anything 'Jack' and mixed with what? Coke...Now, there's some pain.

Of course... 'good taste' comes with experience and wisdom.

I had a bud back in the Maritimes and every time he hit the Scotch he got so silly he bought everyone in the bar drinks. Made a lot of friends though. Some of them female.

woodbuck27
05-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm a beer drinker myself. that shit tastes like gasoline!

thanks for the thead anyway Joe!

Can you get any decent Canadian Beer where you live? The beer is so fricken' good up here compared to 'it all tastes the same' in the US of A.

The USA !

Great hot dogs that beat our Canadian dogs all to hell and... flat ...watered down beer. If you open a can of it in the summer sun you'd better be really thirsty and knock it right back or leave some to toss on your head to beat the heat Say ...if your out on the water.

I've been on canoe trip days with a fella that could keep up and seen us knock back six cases in one day, drinking it off the ice ... Slug Slug Slug and the rest on your head. Burp and do it all again in another five. Ohh ... you need to get some food in yaa !

The most interesting times happen with this concoction. My sister and I would do it just to see the craziness. She was called the Watermelon Woman for this reason.

Woody would hollow out a good sized watermelon and pour 'a forty OZer of Tequila' in it and 'seal it back up for about a week . On the canoe trip you pick your time for the fun to begin. You leave that for the end of the day and never never treat with it on the river. If you do that 'really bad things' happen.

I've witnessed people get to much into them and go through 'a Jekyll and Hyde' experience. Buyer BEWARE.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Jack and Coke did nothing for me. Actually haven't been impressed with any of the Whiskey mixes. OTR for me.

woodbuck27
05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Not sure what he drinks but Im betting these are what the bottles look like.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2010/7/resized_brewdog_taxidermy211_534_0_0.jpg

Ohh awsome. Are those available at Walmart? Do they make any natural sounds during a pour?

MadtownPacker
05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Jack and Coke did nothing for me. Actually haven't been impressed with any of the Whiskey mixes. OTR for me.
Fuck with some Parrot Bay 90 proof rum with Coke on ice and you will get swerved before you know it.

Zool
05-24-2012, 01:09 PM
An Irishman mixing Jack with his Ginger beer!?? Hard to imagine.

I was skeptical at first too. It's surprisingly good on a hot day.

woodbuck27
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Regarding Canadian Whiskey, or rye as we call it locally, I preferred Crown Royal,then Gibsons Silver. Canadian Club, or CC, which most of the world uses is about a hair above FIve Star in quality, so its close to Ziggy's paint thinner in my opinion.
For scotch I liked The Glenlivet 12 or Oban 18.
For irish wiskey I like Jamieson (I think its hard to remeber the night before when you drink Jamieson!)
Didn't drink much Jack or Jim except together in a Snakebite.

One last point, I haven't drank since 2006 so could be missing out on some new goodones (and it might have been Oban 15)

OK let's see what yaa like:

Right on with anything Gibson's Finest. I've got a bottle of SILVER home in Montreal. That Oaken Cask flavour is so nice..and aged 12 years for not much more cost then Black Velvet... PRICELESS!. You can sip it straight on the ROCKS I adulterate it with 7-UP.

Another Rye I recommend is anything WISERS. The ages WISERS is very nice. Quite honestly Gibson's Finest will walk you away from Canadian Club or another (sorry) I think it's overrated but I wouldn't refuse it 'Crown Royal'. Back in the Maritimes we call it this way. If i'm over to your house. anything your serving is just fine. I just may not drink as much of it.

Let me see what you like.

Ohh yes to Irish Whiskey and Jamiesons. Bushmills 'of course' and John Power? Ever try that?

Cheesehead Craig
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
I like Tyrconnell whiskey from Ireland. Smooth stuff.

Little Whiskey
05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Can you get any decent Canadian Beer where you live? The beer is so fricken' good up here compared to 'it all tastes the same' in the US of A.

what is "Good Canadian Beer"?

also, what does that "good canadian beer" cost you for a 6pack. My last trip to the great white north, a 6pack of MGD was $12!!! I could only imagine what a two-four cost. the only thing more screwed up then the canadian gov't is canadian liquor stores.........oh wait, the gov't owns the liquor stores.

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Big Rock Traditional Ale.
Canadian taxes are ridiculous on alcohol, as to our government it has its own problems.

Little Whiskey
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6dBsNz0oc

Good Canadian Beer!

George Cumby
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Single Malt, at least 12 years old. I like 'em a little peaty.

Maker's is surprisingly drinkable.

Crown makes a helluva hot toddy when fighting a cold.

Don't like Jack or Jim.

Good Canadian beer: from my old climbing bum days, Black Label, eeeesh, rotgut in a can.

woodbuck27
05-25-2012, 07:39 PM

also, what does that "good canadian beer" cost you for a 6pack. My last trip to the great white north, a 6pack of MGD was $12!!! I could only imagine what a two-four cost. the only thing more screwed up then the canadian gov't is canadian liquor stores.........oh wait, the gov't owns the liquor stores.

It depends where you reside in Canada.

Quebec is highly civilized in terms of beer cost. The sales are great in the early summer and at Xmas as well.

For instance you can but 24 botles of Stella Artois or BECKs for under $30 bucks$. Lite beer in a 2-4 like Coors and Bud costs around $27.50 Cdn. anytime. Now in Ontario for some reason the price jumps sky hight to about $45-47 bucks. That would be close to the price in the Maritimes as well and I'm not sure what the cost is now in the Prarie Provinces. I'm outta here right now to grapm some 500 ml cans of imported German beer at about $2.00 Bucks$ each.

woodbuck27
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I was skeptical at first too. It's surprisingly good on a hot day.

Here's one for your ginger beer and I mean deliscious. Try to get a good Dark Rum and I recomment That one from Bermuda 'Black Seal'...or an equivalent Dark Rum. This is vital. Makes some crushed ice and use to pack a long hiball glass and shoot the rum into that and add ginger beer to a FIZZ ! Deliscious and look out if your with a lady you love...cause the romance will dance.

Joemailman
11-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Had some of this last weekend while visiting deer camp. Highly recommended.

http://www.bourbonbanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/KnobCreekSingleBarrelReserveBourbon.jpg

mraynrand
11-24-2015, 08:54 PM
I've heard Maker's Mark is good, but haven't tried it yet.

Had a bottle of it last summer at a dance. Was great and a lot of fun.

Freak Out
11-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Stagg JR is great....I am loving the Lagavulin aged in PX Casks...sweet jesus this stuff is sublime.

Deputy Nutz
11-28-2015, 03:54 PM
I have to mention that I have started drinking bourbon on a more regular basis, I like knob creek and bullit

HowardRoark
11-28-2015, 04:55 PM
http://sourmashmanifesto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/high-west-campfire-whiskey.jpg

3irty1
11-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Fresh off my 20's I have some experience crouching down to grab my whiskey. I'll deposit my studies here for posterity. You can only imagine the damage to my person it took to drink my way through the bottom shelves to gather this information so you don't have to. Without further ado I present my three lower shelf gems:

https://www.theoldswhiskeys.com/img/whiskeys/single.png
Old Overholt is a full rye and probably the only one you'll ever need for $14. My opinion is colored by my extensive experience with OO but IMO its everything rye is with nothing else there to interfere. If someone had never had rye this is what I'd calibrate them with.

https://www.beltramos.com/images/labels/four-roses-bourbon.gif
Four Roses runs about $20. Not quite bottom shelf but I've seen it as a rail whiskey before and its such a bargain that it became the point where quality meets quantity for most of my last decade. I consider Four Roses a high-rye bourbon so give it a shot if you like, bullit, buffalo trace, knob creek, or even Jack. Similar to how I feel about what OO is to Rye, Four Roses captures the quintessential flavor of Bourbon but I can be much more confident in saying that as I've sampled so many more bourbons than ryes. By the time I discovered Four Roses I had already sampled enough bourbon to know what I wanted and Four Roses then fit like a tailored suit. Compared to something else in its price range like Old Grandad's Bonded I find Four Roses to be sweet so its very versatile for a high-rye. If you can't find it go for Jim Beam Black label. If you like that you'll love this.

https://imgcdn.binnys.com/images/prodimages/195071L.jpg
Old Fitz can be had for $15 or cheaper. Pay attention this ones important. If the only bourbon you like is Makers Mark or Rebel Yell this is what you need to get instead. Its not better than Weller but if you're a fan of that its still worth knowing about. Old Fitz is a wheated bourbon so the burn and spice of rye gives way to smoothness and some faintly fruity sweetness.

woodbuck27
12-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks Freak. Now where are those Canadians to rate the Canadian Whiskeys?

It's all here in one LINK so fill your whiskey lovin' boots:

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/news-views/canadian-whisky-awards-2014-canadas-top-whiskies.html

I've enjoyed this Rye Whiskey as my personal first choice. I enjoy the of the oaken casket flavour from the barrel that the whiskey was stored in.

http://www.gibsonsfinest.ca/

Purchase The RARE...The 18 Year Old....Gibson's Finest.

Great to sip before retiring for the day.

The little extra cost gains you 6 years of aging to 18 years over the Gibson's Sterling's ...Aged 12 years.

Actually for my simple tastes anything Gibson's Finest I've enjoyed.

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/gibson%E2%80%99s-finest-rare-18-years-old-40-alc-vol.html

This one is very good:

JP WISER`S Deluxe

http://www.jpwisers.com/ca/

Enjoy yiour favourite Whiskey. There are so many you might need five lifetimes to try. LOL :pack:

Freak Out
12-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Attention Costco shoppers: Kirkland released an XO Cognac for $45....holy shit this is great stuff. They also have the Laphroig 15 (200th anniversary Edition) for $54. FANTASTIC stuff. BUY IT!

woodbuck27
01-02-2016, 12:14 PM

The prices of Canadian beer varies by location ie the Province where you purchase it Little Whiskey.

I reside in a typical year in **Quebec** and New Brunswick and Ontario and prices in Quebec 'are highly civilized'.

Sales are typical and the best prices come in early Summer and in early December. I do drink some lager and white beer but I'm uysually into drinking good ales. I want ione right now as I post this. be right back:

Ok I'm drinking a Molson Export Ale. Cost right now $35.95 for 24 bottles.(341 ml and 5 %b Alcohol) in Ontario ...The Beer Store's.. This is a popular choice it seems to me in Ontario ...Quebec - the cost closer to $30.00 and in the Maritimes it might be about $45.00 (High Taxation and less population) for the same amount ...or a Flat.

I enjoy in Ontario..Molson Export Ale..James Ready Original Ale (sometimes in Ont. @ about $ 33 Bucks a flat and it's great as well as the James Ready 5.5 % Alcohol Lager Beer - at the same price. This product is made @ Moosehead Breweries...Home Saint John, NB...Canada's 'only' Independent Brewery. The funny thing and sadly for me Little Whiskey....you cannot purchase the James Ready Lineup in Saint John).

I also enjoy Sleeman's Cream Ale whenever available and I desire a very smooth ALE. That's a $ premium Ale $ .... cost as high as $45 Bucks a flat in Ontario...the same in the Maritimes..about $ 38.00 in Quebec. Inn Quebec they don't choose beer it's a whole shit load of a lot of various wines that hit the table.

Little Whiskey in case your not familiar with this:

the Maritime Provinces = three Provinces....First traveling east and after Quebec>>>New Brunswick, then South and more East on the Trans Canada HWY >>>Nova Scotia and the small Province Prince Edward 'used to be' Island LOL. It's now connected to NB by a long bridge.

Some think that Newfoundland is a Maritime Province.It's all by itself and it's time zone is 1/2 hour earlier than the Maritimes time. 1 and 1/2 Hours earlier than Quebec time...the same as Ontario Time. Ontario is a long drive between the Quebec and Manitoba borders. Driving out west just from the Toronto area (Mississauga, Ont.) tp get to Manitoba I had Nights in motels two nights before I finally reached Kenora, Ont. close to the Manitoba border.

A lot more info. than you asked for Little Whiskey . Maybeb it gives you a better Pic of the really BIG PICTURE up here.

Another favourite of mine and available (again sadly in Nova Scotia and NOT New Brunswick...Oland's Export Ale..a very smooth great tasting Ale...say $40 - $45 a Flat.

In New Brunswick I drink...a Great Ale...Moosehead 'Red'..Ale. It has a full hearty taste..it's won an International Award. That costs me around $42 Bucks a Flat. It's worth it to me as I love Moosehead 'Red'.

I hope this gives you something on the cost of Beer Products here.

Basically and in review....it comes down to TAX and how thatv varies....Province to Province.

HOLY CRAP the World Junior Hockey game Canada Vs Finland is wild. Canada just tied it up at 5 each.

We had them 3-2 and they tied it up and then went ahead 4-3. We got it even and Finland got another 5-4...Now it's 5-5.

Excitement. Back and forth FAST hockey. It doesn't get much better. They simply give errrr ! :clap:

We enjoy the World Juniors. The US of A ......handled us 3 - 2 a few days ago...well on Boxing day. Sweden again looks formidable. ...as do the Finns.