PDA

View Full Version : 2012 53 Man Roster

pbmax
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Because why not. By Adam Czech, from http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2012/05/24/a-way-too-early-packers-53-man-roster-and-depth-chart-prediction/

QB
Rodgers
Harrell
Coleman

RB
Starks
Saine
Green

FB
Kuhn

TE
Finley
Taylor
Crabtree
Williams

WR
Jennings
Nelson
Jones
Cobb
Driver
Gurley

LT
Newhouse
Sherrod

LG
Lang
Dietrich-Smith

C
Saturday
Genus

RG
Sitton

RT
Bulaga
Datko

D-line
Raji
Pickett
Worthy
Wilson
Daniels
Guy

OLB
Matthews
Perry
Walden
So’oto

ILB
Bishop
Hawk
Smith
Jones

CB
Williams
Woodson
Shields
Hayward
House

S
Burnett
McMillian
Peprah
Bush
Jennings

P
Masthay

K
Crosby

LS
Goode

Does not count against 53-man roster:

Physically Unable to Perform
Quarless

Suspended
Neal
Hargrove

sharpe1027
05-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Ahman Green is coming back!!

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Not a bad guesstimate. Mine would be pretty close. Lawrence Guy and Brad Jones would be two guys I'd take off. My guess is that Francois or Manning take the last ILB spot over Jones. I'm not sure how it's going to shake out at DL. Guy has a shot, but I'd put his odds at less than 50% that he makes the final roster. I still think Driver is iffy, but I do think he'll get a chance to compete. It will come down to whether Driver shows his age even more this year, and whether Gurley and/or Borel show improvement. I think Bush should be listed as a CB.

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
So we go through with 9 oline again. Last year we lost sherrod and clifton and were getting thin else where as a result. Do we have any oline on the PS left? If we lost OT's again could we bring back clifton as a stop gap?
Aside from that I like the roster but hate to not see Collins listed at safety.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Manning makes this roster, lose Jones, and take off Guy and add the Merling. If Coleman looks like shit in preseason expect him to be cut and placed on the Practice squad. That will free up another space on the Packers rosters.

I am also going to predict that the Packers will hang on to Driver, keep 6 wide receivers, and trade remaining receivers. Expect them to showcase Borely and Gurley. Shakey Smithson will get picked up to an active roster, but the Packer will not land a trade for him.

If the Packers can't trade Borely or Gurley then Driver might get cut.

If Borely and Gurley get any reps with the first team, and demonstrate a connection with Rodgers, and Rodgers feels comfortable with them in the passing game, then James Jones might get his ass cut.

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Manning makes this roster, lose Jones, and take off Guy and add the Merling. If Coleman looks like shit in preseason expect him to be cut and placed on the Practice squad. That will free up another space on the Packers rosters.

I am also going to predict that the Packers will hang on to Driver, keep 6 wide receivers, and trade remaining receivers. Expect them to showcase Borely and Gurley. Shakey Smithson will get picked up to an active roster, but the Packer will not land a trade for him.

If the Packers can't trade Borely or Gurley then Driver might get cut.

If Borely and Gurley get any reps with the first team, and demonstrate a connection with Rodgers, and Rodgers feels comfortable with them in the passing game, then James Jones might get his ass cut.

So we could trade last years PS wr's but not Jones?

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think the Packers could trade Jones, but who knows. I think Jones has hit his peak, he is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th receiver that will have a big game every now and then. He will never be a dominant receiver in the NFL and nows has a contract number that teams will have to pay. Borely and Gurley will get teams interested because of their untapped potential.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
QB (3)
Rodgers/Harrell/Coleman

RB (3)
Starks/Saine/Green

FB (1)
Kuhn

TE (4)
Finley/Taylor/Crabtree/Williams

WR (6)
Jennings/Nelson/Jones/Cobb/Driver/Gurley

OL (9)
Newhouse/Sherrod/Lang/Dietrich-Smith/Saturday/Genus/Sitton/Bulaga/Datko

D-line (6)
Raji/Pickett/Worthy/Wilson/Daniels/Guy

OLB (4)
Matthews/Perry/Zombo/So’oto

ILB (5)
Bishop/Hawk/Smith/Jones/Manning

CB (6)
Williams/Woodson*/Shields/Hayward/House/Bush

S (3*)
Burnett/McMillian/Jennings

ST (3)
Masthay/Crosby/Goode

* Woodson will be the Nickel Safety

Does not count against 53-man roster:

Physically Unable to Perform
Quarless

Suspended
Neal
Hargrove

Fritz
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I think Jarami Lattimore will make this team at ILB over Jones , that Driver will be cut to free up a spot, which Manning will take (MM and TT like those linebacker types for ST duty!), and that Merling wins out over Wilson.

Doesn't this team need someone to spell Raji at the nose? If Green is gone, who is that guy? Guy?

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I think Jarami Lattimore will make this team at ILB over Jones , that Driver will be cut to free up a spot, which Manning will take (MM and TT like those linebacker types for ST duty!), and that Merling wins out over Wilson.

Doesn't this team need someone to spell Raji at the nose? If Green is gone, who is that guy? Guy?

More likely IMO that Guy and Worthy take some of Pickett's DE snaps, so Pickett becomes the other NT.

Guiness
05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Add our 'shock' lineman Jolly!

Smidgeon
05-24-2012, 06:49 PM
CB
Williams
Woodson
Shields
Hayward
House

Maybe it's just me, but this group looks like has the most talented depth on the team.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Maybe it's just me, but this group looks like has the most talented depth on the team.
It's just you.

All those guys have had their moments, but Woodson ain't the old Woodson, Williams & Shields had down years in 2011. The group may prove to be fine, but I sure wouldn't single them out as a strength.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Did T-Will have a career year in 2010, or an off year due to injuries in 2011? That's one of the big questions for this year.

Brandon494
05-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Did T-Will have a career year in 2010, or an off year due to injuries in 2011? That's one of the big questions for this year.

Off year dude to injuries and lack of pass rush, his shoulder is still not at 100% yet.

smuggler
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
More likely the latter, since he was pretty damn good in 2009 also. Coincidence that our D-line played pretty well that year, also?

Upnorth
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM

While it looks okay, it has no where the depth the WR corp has. Cobb was the 5th wr last year.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Off year dude to injuries and lack of pass rush, his shoulder is still not at 100% yet.

Still? How long before we start to worry about whether that injury will prevent him from ever being the same player he was before?

BobDobbs
05-25-2012, 01:34 AM

I keep trying to figure out how Lattimore stays on the team. He looked like a good football player last preseason. If they keep Manning both of those guys a smallish, so is DJ Smith. Our linebacker corps is shrinking. They might not want that.

I think Muir has a good shot because he's bigger than all those other guys he's competing against for a spot. He Pickett is the backup NT, but at 320 he's a good option for a short yardage package and on the inactive list vs throwing teams like Howard Green was. I would be flabbergasted if Wynn makes the team. They're "starting" Wilson right now, but I think they brought in guys to take his spot. Good luck to him.

Pugger
05-25-2012, 06:13 AM
So we could trade last years PS wr's but not Jones?

Probably not. When Jones was a UFA he didn't generate a lot of interest so I doubt he'd be in even bigger demand now in a trade.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2012, 07:42 AM
I keep trying to figure out how Lattimore stays on the team. He looked like a good football player last preseason. If they keep Manning both of those guys a smallish, so is DJ Smith. Our linebacker corps is shrinking. They might not want that.

I think Muir has a good shot because he's bigger than all those other guys he's competing against for a spot. He Pickett is the backup NT, but at 320 he's a good option for a short yardage package and on the inactive list vs throwing teams like Howard Green was. I would be flabbergasted if Wynn makes the team. They're "starting" Wilson right now, but I think they brought in guys to take his spot. Good luck to him.

My guess is that Wilson makes it while Wynn gets cut.

My guess is that if So'oto and/or Lattimore show improvement, they'll be battling for a roster spot over guys like Jones and Zombo. The money is on So'oto because of how he looked last preseason, but the Packers kept Lattimore for a reason. It wasn't to play last year because he was a raw. I don't think it would be a complete shock if he made the team over some of the bigger names at LB, but he'll need to show a lot of improvement this offseason to give himself a shot. Mainly, he needs to get stronger while maintaining his speed.

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
My guess is that Wilson makes it while Wynn gets cut. I think this calls for a poll.

Smidgeon
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
While it looks okay, it has no where the depth the WR corp has. Cobb was the 5th wr last year.

I disagree. While both Driver and Woodson are getting older and therefore fading a little, Woodson is still starting material whereas Driver was the fourth WR last year based on stats.

Projecting that to another year, Driver is the fifth WR, and I don't have faith that Borel or Gurley or whomever will be talented enough to compare to the DBs.

Also, I know that I'm projecting House and Hayward to be good football players and Williams and Shields to rebound. But those are my gut feelings, and those gut feelings say the defensive backs group is incredibly talented top to bottom.

George Cumby
05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I disagree. While both Driver and Woodson are getting older and therefore fading a little, Woodson is still starting material whereas Driver was the fourth WR last year based on stats.

Projecting that to another year, Driver is the fifth WR, and I don't have faith that Borel or Gurley or whomever will be talented enough to compare to the DBs.

Also, I know that I'm projecting House and Hayward to be good football players and Williams and Shields to rebound. But those are my gut feelings, and those gut feelings say the defensive backs group is incredibly talented top to bottom.

And since we have very little data to work with, gut feelings are about all we have to work with right now.

smuggler
05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Woodson still made as many impact plays as any other DB in the league. Driver, not as many impact plays relative to the other WRs in the league, however, he was pretty darn solid. They had him running only slot routes, which hurt his Y/catch, but per snap he was pretty darn productive. I'd still say Woodson is clearly more valuable than Driver at this point.

If none of the young receivers show any flashes of pro level talent, then you dump them because Driver is still capable and a known commodity. We aren't in "win or bust" mode, but we do have a shot at a SB and we need to maximize our chances for THIS YEAR. If TT doesn't think Gurley et al will ever amount to anything, then dump them and put Donald back in the driver's (roster) spot.

woodbuck27
05-25-2012, 07:01 PM

We must see a hugh leap in how our CB's play and to assist that we need to get a decent pass rush.Talk of movong C. woodson to safety is only based on being able to capably replace him as a cornerback and at this point we cannot determine if that will be a reality. We are only capable of speculation. Of drinking lots of cool aid.

This will he or won't he make the roster RE: Donald Driver is IMO too funny. DD is flat out worthy and talented enough to be a safe bet as our #3 or #4 WR. Donald Drivr is so popular that TT cannot release him the shape and status of popularity he's in at this time. Donald Driver is a lock to make our roster. I'll be shocked if I'm wrong.

Ted Thompson can make room at WR otherwise. By trying to deal WR James Jones to get some decdent retun on his value for our future.

GO PACKERS !

Cheesehead Craig
05-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Ted Thompson can make room at WR otherwise. By trying to deal WR James Jones to get some decdent retun on his value for our future.

GO PACKERS !

The problem with that was that Jones got little to no interest when he was on the FA market just before last season. I don't think we would get a whole lot for him frankly.

Smidgeon
05-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Woodson still made as many impact plays as any other DB in the league. Driver, not as many impact plays relative to the other WRs in the league, however, he was pretty darn solid. They had him running only slot routes, which hurt his Y/catch, but per snap he was pretty darn productive. I'd still say Woodson is clearly more valuable than Driver at this point.

If none of the young receivers show any flashes of pro level talent, then you dump them because Driver is still capable and a known commodity. We aren't in "win or bust" mode, but we do have a shot at a SB and we need to maximize our chances for THIS YEAR. If TT doesn't think Gurley et al will ever amount to anything, then dump them and put Donald back in the driver's (roster) spot.

They had him running slots because he couldn't outrun DBs anymore. And "per snap" he wasn't nearly as effective as any other WR. I don't buy the "slot routes ruin a guys yards after catch" argument either. Jennings thrives on those. In 2010, that was the play that broke open the field. Driver's good, but not that good anymore.

However, I agree about the young guys. If they don't flash consistently, they don't make the team. But that has nothing to do with Driver, in my opinion. And Driver won't be the difference between a Super Bowl or not. If that's who you're leaning on, I think the Packers are in trouble. They have four WRs with more upside than him right now.

BobDobbs
05-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Don't forget we cut two guys and added one. Before we make our May rosters we have to consider: Who is the phantom spot saved for? Ryan Grant, Johnny Jolly, Ahman Green, Terrell Owens.... Who will be our mystery guest to training camp?

woodbuck27
05-26-2012, 08:00 AM
My guess is that Wilson makes it while Wynn gets cut.

My guess is that if So'oto and/or Lattimore show improvement, they'll be battling for a roster spot over guys like Jones and Zombo. The money is on So'oto because of how he looked last preseason, but the Packers kept Lattimore for a reason. It wasn't to play last year because he was a raw. I don't think it would be a complete shock if he made the team over some of the bigger names at LB, but he'll need to show a lot of improvement this offseason to give himself a shot. Mainly, he needs to get stronger while maintaining his speed.

I want TT to get his thinking cap on and ASAP cut all the deadwood before TC and top up our roster where we need competition most in TC.

What's the sense now in carrying TC bodies supplying fase hope in Green bay for folk that are not what we need in terms of talent that can be developed to suit the need? Get them out of Green Bay ASAP and allow them to rethink their lives.

TT needs to step it up at RB and CB. Maybe another safety with some experience would help.

Joemailman
05-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I want TT to get his thinking cap on and ASAP cut all the deadwood before TC and top up our roster where we need competition most in TC.

What's the sense now in carrying TC bodies supplying fase hope in Green bay for folk that are not what we need in terms of talent that can be developed to suit the need? Get them out of Green Bay ASAP and allow them to rethink their lives.

TT needs to step it up at RB and CB. Maybe another safety with some experience would help.

Who are these "TC bodies" you speak of? The Packers regularly end up keeping guys who were given little chance of making the team by most people when the OTA's started.

woodbuck27
05-26-2012, 09:39 AM
The problem with that was that Jones got little to no interest when he was on the FA market just before last season. I don't think we would get a whole lot for him frankly.

You make a valid point. It surely would make TT's life easier RE: the Donald Driver decision.

I'd love to see another solid TC contender for the CB position arrive in Green Bay. This fella (getting up there in age) is still out there hoping to be signed:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3596/andre-goodman

GO PACKERS !

Tony Oday
05-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Anyone know who AR targeted the most on 3rd down?

Farley Face
05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Anyone know who AR targeted the most on 3rd down?

The open receiver.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
The open receiver.

Nice!