PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Whittenton R.I.P.

Joemailman
05-24-2012, 12:20 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/153318215.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

One of the great Packer cornerbacks has has passed away at age 78. He was a starter for the Packers NFL Championship teams in 1961 and 1962. He was inducted into the Packer hall Of Fame in 1976. He was a Pro Bowl selection 1n 1961 and 1963.

Fritz
05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow, he was on the really ode skoo teams from the early 60's.

KYPack
05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
A lot of the old Packers are sad at the passing of Jesse.

He was a great corner, the last of the classic white boy CB's.

Jesse was a ball hawk. He was one of the best at stealing the ball after the WR made the catch, espec. in the clutch.

Cool guy and big time party monster. He owned a bar/rest. in GB called the Kings X that was a major stop for the Lombardi Packers.

Freak Out
05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Another one gone from the glory days....RIP. The Kings X....there was a Kings X in Anchorage at one time....hardcore all the way. Had to watch your back in that place.

Fritz
05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
King's X? I believe that was mentioned in another thread, as a place where the Packers - and the visitors - from back in the day went to find some eager young genuine female Wisconsin flesh.

Does that mean Jesse had one of them? And if so, does that mean I wish that I had Jesse's girl?

Where can I find a woman like that?

Freak Out
05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow....Rick Springfield. Dude was lame.

woodbuck27
05-27-2012, 09:29 AM
King's X? I believe that was mentioned in another thread, as a place where the Packers - and the visitors - from back in the day went to find some eager young genuine female Wisconsin flesh.

Does that mean Jesse had one of them? And if so, does that mean I wish that I had Jesse's girl?

Around any corner if your NOT fussy.

woodbuck27
05-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Jesse was a ball hawk. He was one of the best at stealing the ball after the WR made the catch, espec. in the clutch.

Cool guy and big time party monster. He owned a bar/rest. in GB called the Kings X that was a major stop for the Lombardi Packers.

Do you recall seeing him play KY?

Patler
05-27-2012, 11:23 AM

I remember when Whittenton played, and I remember being very concerned when he left the game while relatively young. Luckily, the Packers had a capable replacement who they had gotten off the waiver wire, Doug Hart, for year or so; and then Bob Jeter came in at cornerback and Whittenton was no longer missed.

Hart was a "super-sub" for the Packers for much of the '60s. Later on became a starting safety for a few years into the '70s. As a reserve, he played both corner and safety, and I never worried when he had to come in for any of the starters. Hart could likely have started for a lot of teams if free agency had been available to him, but with Adderly, Jeter, Wood and Tom Brown in Green Bay, Hart ended up as maybe the NFL's best backup DB for quite a few years.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 06:41 AM
I remember when Whittenton played, and I remember being very concerned when he left the game while relatively young. Luckily, the Packers had a capable replacement who they had gotten off the waiver wire, Doug Hart, for year or so; and then Bob Jeter came in at cornerback and Whittenton was no longer missed.

Hart was a "super-sub" for the Packers for much of the '60s. Later on became a starting safety for a few years into the '70s. As a reserve, he played both corner and safety, and I never worried when he had to come in for any of the starters. Hart could likely have started for a lot of teams if free agency had been available to him, but with Adderly, Jeter, Wood and Tom Brown in Green Bay, Hart ended up as maybe the NFL's best backup DB for quite a few years.

I'm impressed that you recall all of that Patler. Much of what I recall is about just how good the Packers were in the Lombardi Era winning five league championships in seven years and putting emphasis on the term to describe Green Bay,Wisconsin as "Titletown." . Not just how often they won but with whom or the many star players they showcased on their roster. Fellas like Herb Adderly, Bob Jeter, Willie Wood, Tom Brown, Dave Robinson, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Carroll Dale, Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Jerry Kramer, Bart Starr etc. many of whom are in the NFL HOF.

It was such a privalege to be a Packer fan back then.

GO PACKERS !

Patler
05-28-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm impressed that you recall all of that Patler. Much of what I recall is about just how good the Packers were in the Lombardi Era winning five league championships in seven years and putting emphasis on the term to describe Green Bay,Wisconsin as "Titletown." . Not just how often they won but with whom or the many star players they showcased on their roster. Fellas like Herb Adderly, Bob Jeter, Willie Wood, Tom Brown, Dave Robinson, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Carroll Dale, Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Jerry Kramer, Bart Starr etc. many of whom are in the NFL HOF.

It was such a privalege to be a Packer fan back then.

GO PACKERS !

I remember a lot about the team that Lombardi started with, and the "guys who replaced the guys" during the '60s.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I remember a lot about the team that Lombardi started with, and the "guys who replaced the guys" during the '60s.

Patler. I didn't realize that we're contempoaries in terms of age until this morning and we've posted on the same forums since 2005.

KYPack
05-28-2012, 09:10 AM

At least one Packer did just that. One of my all-time Packer heroes, Ray Nitschke met bartender Jackie Forchett there and married her.

Better lose the " eager young genuine female Wisconsin flesh" line, tho.

Ray might rise up, come back, and kick your ass for that shit.

Patler
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Patler. I didn't realize that we're contempoaries in terms of age until this morning and we've posted on the same forums since 2005.

Well, you have to be about the only one who has been here any length of time who didn't realize that! :-)

I have talked about my recollections of the Lombardi Packers a lot. Don't you remember the great debates about the best Packer QB ever? Or the best Packers of all time threads? The position be position debates?

KYPack
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Oh yeah. I'm an old guy, too.

Jesse was a very solid player. Made a couple Pro Bowls and was a complete corner. Good cover guy and very tough against the run. He was really quick and decisive in making forces against the run. He was the best defensive back I've ever seen at stealing the ball from a ball carrier. He did it several times and it was the first time I'd ever seen a player do it in the mannner Jesse did. A guy would be heading upfield with the ball. Then, in a flash, Jesse would be running the other way with the old rock. It was mind blowing how quick and slick Jesse was at making that play.

This would be the place to post other stuff about Jesse, I doubt it will come up again.

He was a really good business man. He got a chance to buy a Green Bay bar. Jesse decided to do it, but he had to approach "the man". Lombardi agreed to allow Jesse to buy the joint (eventually named the King's X) but under one condition. Jesse could not be seen drinking at the bar or even tend bar in his own joint!. Whittenton and VTL were on good terms because jesse often played golf at the Oneida country club, Vince's CC.

Later in '64 Jesse again approached Vince. Jesse had a shot at buying a golf course in his hometown of El Paso TX. Lombardi looked the deal over for his player. Vince agreed it was a good deal. he told Jesse he should retire (Jesse probably had a couple years left in the NFL at that point) and run the place.

Jesse bought the golf course, hired a young Mexican golf hustler to be the pro. The hustler became so good Jesse sponsored him on the pro tour and made a ton of money when the guy made it big on the PGA tour.

The golfers name?

Lee Trevino.

KYPack
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
A bump to tell a great Nitschke story. As was said above, Ray was dating Jackie, the bartender at the King's X. GB is a very small town and news gets around pretty quickly. One night, Ray learned that Jackie had another suitor. To make it even better, Jackie and this guy were out on a dinner date that nite. Ray also learned a little added information to help his cause.

Ray stalked up to the couple and confronted the poor sap.

Ray hollered to the guy, "Hey, shouldn't you be at home with your wife and two kids"?

As the guy tore out of there, Ray fired the check at him and reminded him to pay his bill.

That would've been great to see, wouldn't it?

woodbuck27
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, you have to be about the only one who has been here any length of time who didn't realize that! :-)

I have talked about my recollections of the Lombardi Packers a lot. Don't you remember the great debates about the best Packer QB ever? Or the best Packers of all time threads? The position be position debates?

I imagined that you were about 55 years of age. I'm 65 years old.

woodbuck27
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah. I'm an old guy, too.

Jesse was a very solid player. Made a couple Pro Bowls and was a complete corner. Good cover guy and very tough against the run. He was really quick and decisive in making forces against the run. He was the best defensive back I've ever seen at stealing the ball from a ball carrier. He did it several times and it was the first time I'd ever seen a player do it in the mannner Jesse did. A guy would be heading upfield with the ball. Then, in a flash, Jesse would be running the other way with the old rock. It was mind blowing how quick and slick Jesse was at making that play.

This would be the place to post other stuff about Jesse, I doubt it will come up again.

He was a really good business man. He got a chance to buy a Green Bay bar. Jesse decided to do it, but he had to approach "the man". Lombardi agreed to allow Jesse to buy the joint (eventually named the King's X) but under one condition. Jesse could not be seen drinking at the bar or even tend bar in his own joint!. Whittenton and VTL were on good terms because jesse often played golf at the Oneida country club, Vince's CC.

Later in '64 Jesse again approached Vince. Jesse had a shot at buying a golf course in his hometown of El Paso TX. Lombardi looked the deal over for his player. Vince agreed it was a good deal. he told Jesse he should retire (Jesse probably had a couple years left in the NFL at that point) and run the place.

Jesse bought the golf course, hired a young Mexican golf hustler to be the pro. The hustler became so good Jesse sponsored him on the pro tour and made a ton of money when the guy made it big on the PGA tour.

The golfers name?

Lee Trevino.

Packerrtas doesn't get any better than learning of this amazing account of the life of Jesse Whittenton.

KYPack THANKS so much for that story.

woodbuck27
05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
At least one Packer did just that. One of my all-time Packer heroes, Ray Nitschke met bartender Jackie Forchett there and married her.

Better lose the " eager young genuine female Wisconsin flesh" line, tho.

Ray might rise up, come back, and kick your ass for that shit.

LOL Fritz be warned !

woodbuck27
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
A bump to tell a great Nitschke story. As was said above, Ray was dating Jackie, the bartender at the King's X. GB is a very small town and news gets around pretty quickly. One night, Ray learned that Jackie had another suitor. To make it even better, Jackie and this guy were out on a dinner date that nite. Ray also learned a little added information to help his cause.

Ray stalked up to the couple and confronted the poor sap.

Ray hollered to the guy, "Hey, shouldn't you be at home with your wife and two kids"?

As the guy tore out of there, Ray fired the check at him and reminded him to pay his bill.

That would've been great to see, wouldn't it?

Now KY ... I can see it. THANKS.

Patler
05-29-2012, 04:04 PM

I imagined that you were about 55 years of age. I'm 65 years old.

About 55? That would have made me 3 in 1960, and just 10 in 1967. Not sure I would have had too many detailed memories of Lombardi's early years at 3, 4 or 5 years old!

Cheesehead Craig
05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Screw Freak Out. I'm repping this post.

Freak Out
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Screw Freak Out. I'm repping this post.

I liked his reference....just never liked Rick Springfield. :)

woodbuck27
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
About 55? That would have made me 3 in 1960, and just 10 in 1967. Not sure I would have had too many detailed memories of Lombardi's early years at 3, 4 or 5 years old!

You misunderstand.

I meant that I didn't figure you for an age within ten years of mine. That being the case until this thread. Those debates you account Patler. I don't recall those as some forum of input in this regard or to an accurate assessment of your age.

For you to have such recall. I merely speculated that your more likely to be my age that what I had imagined or about mid 50's.

Events we experience as a teen are no gurantee of being recalled as if they happened last year but are more likely recalled than those events at age 3-6 years of age... I suspect would be the finding.

Then again...life experience related to abuse can certainly take it's toll on one's memory.