PDA

View Full Version : Lions = the new Bengals? Fairley arrested again.

Patler
05-27-2012, 11:44 AM
DUI, running from the cops, no insurance.......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/27/lions-nick-fairley-arrested-for-dui-eluding-police/

Edit - make that "no proof of insurance". He may have it, but didn't carry the card, perhaps. Also add a charge for having an open container of alcohol in the car.

MJZiggy
05-27-2012, 11:47 AM
How on earth does a professional football player manage to not have insurance?

Fritz
05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Sweet!

If your equation proves true, does this mean that since I live in metro Detroit, I will be to Packerrats regarding Lions news as KYPack is to us for the Bungals?, posting the latest gossip and stories of pot-smoking, law-breaking players, and underage-teenager-sexing cheerleaders?

Patler
05-27-2012, 11:52 AM
How on earth does a professional football player manage to not have insurance?

I edited my post in fairness to him. He had no proof of insurance. Perhaps he has insurance, just never put the card in the car. He also had an open container in the car.

Patler
05-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Sweet!

If your equation proves true, does this mean that since I live in metro Detroit, I will be to Packerrats regarding Lions news as KYPack is to us for the Bungals?, posting the latest gossip and stories of pot-smoking, law-breaking players, and underage-teenager-sexing cheerleaders?

You seem like just the man for the job!

Tony Oday
05-27-2012, 11:57 AM
At least it wasn't resisting arrest. DUI could happen to anyone.

Patler
05-27-2012, 12:09 PM

He was charged with attempting to run from the cops. Not much different than resisting arrest. The open container makes it doubly stupid.

I wouldn't say DUI can happen to anyone, but it can happen to quite a few. But even for those who could get caught with a DUI, most won't be dumb enough to have an open container in the car, and most won't try to run from the cops. Fairley's was more than a could-happen-to-anyone event. He compounded his poor judgement several times over, especially since he was arrested just a few months ago.

Fritz
05-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Tony, could getting arrested twice in a span of two or three months happen to anyone? Maybe, but how stupid are you if you let that happen? Especially when you know, or should know, you are in the spotlight?

Here's a link to a May 22 article in the Detroit News - it's the usual upbeat spring football article, extolling the "new" Nick Fairley, who's going to make up for his lost first year and his dumb marijuana arrest by being in great physical shape and working hard, etc, etc, etc...ya gotta love it in light of the most recent arrest.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120522/OPINION03/205220325/1126/sports0101/Nick-Fairley-gives-Lions-glimpse-what-they-ve-been-missing

Tony Oday
05-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Put me in my early 20's with basically unlimited cash and thaf could have easily been me. Go to a nice dinner or hell happy hour have five drinks go home get pulled over try to turn the corner so maybe the cop misses me and they charge me with eluding the cops and son of a my buddy brought his beer from the bar. Getting caught with weed? Uh oh vicious gateway drug!

Could he have been smarter? Hell yeah but he isn't trafficking drugs, beating his wife or fighting cops so I don't think this is a hit to his moral character just a dumbass with too much time and money.

Fritz
05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Tony, Tony, Tony. Look, if the player in question were a Green Bay Packer, your comments would be perfectly sensible.

But this guy is a Detroit Lion, man. They're becoming a threat to the Pack, so when a couple of their players get arrested, and one gets arrested twice, it must be made clear it's because the Lions don't know how to draft, ignoring character questions, and that the players in question are immature dumbasses who practically will themselves into trouble.

In fact, I believe that Jim Schvantz looks a little like Satan. He wants bad people on his team.

MJZiggy
05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
They actually make charts that can tell you based on weight and with pretty good accuracy how much alcohol you can consume and safely drive. Sadly for me that means ONE glass of wine with dinner, and I never break that if I'm driving, but you'd think that with all that these guys have on the line, they'd be taught how to pay better attention after their first violations.

Fritz
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
That makes sense, Zig, but on the other hand, these guys have been pampered most of their teen lives, given free passes as long as they are star athletes, and that doesn't lend itself to teaching an immature kid how to be responsible.

Tony Oday
05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh I'm not saying he shouldnt be banned from the NFL ;)

Fritz
05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
That's better. But even better is that Goodell does nothing, showing clear prejudice for the Lions, then Fairley and a couple teammates get busted shortly thereafter for running a prostitution ring and running guns for Eastern European gangs.

Patler
05-27-2012, 01:42 PM
There were a lot of questions raised about Fairly before the draft, based on his penchant for getting personal foul penalties in college, and his reported very poor personal interviews at the combine. Here he is going into year two, and nothing has changed, only now he could be looking at a possible suspension on top of it.

Yes, a lot of care free guys in their early 20's do a lot of stupid things, but pro athletes have opportunities very few have; and for the most part they make it or fail during those years when other guys are still looking for their opportunities. If it takes a pro athlete 4 or 5 years to "grow up" it might be too late for him. Just ask Johnny Jolly.

smuggler
05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
4 game suspension incoming (minimum) for this dude. Has the RB been suspended yet for his 2 pot busts in 3 days? Mikel LeShoure.

pbmax
05-27-2012, 08:36 PM
He was charged with attempting to run from the cops. Not much different than resisting arrest. The open container makes it doubly stupid.

Only if he was running WHILE CARRYING the open container. Then, indeed, its doubly stupid because carrying an open cup and trying not to spill is going to slow you way down, world class athlete or not.

EDIT: OK, clarifying info. PFT has Fairley doing 100 mph when he passed a Trooper on the highway. He then initially refused to stop when he saw the rollers. So he probably had the open container safely in a cup holder but needed time to throw his pot into the ditch and drive far away from it. Still quite possibly doubly stupid.

gbgary
05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
saw this earlier today on twitter. good thing he didn't hit anyone during the chase.

NewsBruin
05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Man, and I was driving to and from church on the same stretch of highway this morning.

Forget blaming the Lions; NFL players should just skip coming home to Mobile.

Freak Out
05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Great news...we need a few more of the idiots to do the same thing.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Yup ..... any idiot. Did these clowns that insist on drinking and driving not ever hear of 'Woman Against Drunk Drivers 'and why this group exists? That when they enter and operate a vehicle while intoxicated that they are driving potential 'killing machines'?

Idiots !

In was just reading this before I came here. It's wild that the Lions are getting so much trouble from their 2011 draft class.

Tony Oday
05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
So you have never had three drinks with dinner and drove home. Hell I have and I didn't feel remotely drunk however at .08 I am sure I was legally.

Patler
05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
So you have never had three drinks with dinner and drove home. Hell I have and I didn't feel remotely drunk however at .08 I am sure I was legally.

Nope, never have. Not even when I was young. I won't even have a single glass of wine with dinner if I am driving. It's just not worth it. I can live without the drink, beer or glass of wine. I won't miss it a bit the next day. Don't know if I could live with myself if I injured or killed someone because I was driving impaired.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 07:43 AM

What we do or have done 'that's wrong' never makes it right.

Drinking and driving is clearly unacceptable stupid selfish behaviour and potentially disasterous. End of story Tony Oday.

Joemailman
05-28-2012, 07:48 AM

Did you have an open bottle of alcohol in your vehicle? Did you fly past a state trooper at 100 mph and initially try to elude capture? Did you do all this a month after being arrested for marijuana possession? Obviously this situation is a lot different than someone having one drink too many at dinner.

Patler
05-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Did you have an open bottle of alcohol in your vehicle? Did you fly past a state trooper at 100 mph and initially try to elude capture? Did you do all this a month after being arrested for marijuana possession? Obviously this situation is a lot different than someone having one drink too many at dinner.

For Fairley the NFL player, that is the issue. He has not yet learned anything, apparently. He has not matured a bit beyond the draft prospect that many teams had concerns about. Will this change him? For an NFL player, there isn't a lot of time to prove himself. Two years from now, he could be one of those players we talk about who wasted his golden opportunity.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 08:47 AM

WOW!

Obviously 'NO' it's not if you examine it from the core issue of:

Is it sensable to drink and drive or NOT.

You cannot qualify that question as right or wrong based on certain circumstances simply enhancing the problem for the guilty party.

Joemailman:

Who is less guilty of a death caused by drinking and driving?

a) The chap that blows 0.10?

or

b) The fella that blows 0.25?

If both ''cause a death' is one less guilty? You just learned something today.

pbmax
05-28-2012, 08:59 AM

There is a significant amount of evidence that the last person to know they are intoxicated is the intoxicated person. People have been tested right at the legal limit, reported they feel no ill effects, then perform poorly on driving tests.

Joemailman
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
WOW!

Obviously 'NO' it's not if you examine it from the core issue of:

Is it sensable to drink and drive or NOT.

You cannot qualify that question as right or wrong based on certain circumstances simply enhancing the problem for the guilty party.

Joemailman:

Who is less guilty of a death caused by drinking and driving?

a) The chap that blows 0.10?

or

b) The fella that blows 0.25?

If both ''cause a death' is one less guilty? You just learned something today.

I learned you like to lecture people, but I already knew that.

The legal limit here is .08. People barely over that limit are not the ones causing crashes. The average BAC of an impaired driver who causes a crash is .15, with the most common being .17. A person at .09 may be impaired, but less so than a person who is talking on a cell phone, changing the radio station, etc.

LP
05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
... then perform poorly on driving tests.

That would be the vast majority of people, at any given time, on any given day, impaired or not.

woodbuck27
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I learned you like to lecture people, but I already knew that.

The legal limit here is .08. People barely over that limit are not the ones causing crashes. The average BAC of an impaired driver who causes a crash is .15, with the most common being .17. A person at .09 may be impaired, but less so than a person who is talking on a cell phone, changing the radio station, etc.

I'm not lectruring a man that imagines he knows it all. That's a waste of time. I'm merely making a point of discussion. If you had a decent sense of using alcohol and what's right or not we wouldn't even be engaging in such discussion.

gbpackfan
05-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Murder can happy to anyone. Kidnapping can happen to anyone. We all choose not to murder and kidnap because its wrong. DUI is a choice, one that kills a lot of people. Apparently we have just come to accept DUIs.

Joemailman
05-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not lectruring a man that imagines he knows it all. That's a waste of time. I'm merely making a point of discussion. If you had a decent sense of using alcohol and what's right or not we wouldn't even be engaging in such discussion.

Thank you for not lecturing.

pbmax
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
That would be the vast majority of people, at any given time, on any given day, impaired or not.

Fair point, especially if you are near Jersey. But they account for that variation by testing their skill stone cold sober.

Cheesehead Craig
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
It's like a travelling trophy around the NFL. First the Raiders, then the Bengals, now the Lions.

gbgary
05-28-2012, 11:19 PM
to quote yahoo sports about fairley..."more arrests than sacks!" lol

Fritz
05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
My hope is that more Lions' players get busted and act stupid, on and off the field, and that the head ass clown, Jim Schvantz, defends his boys - the whole "I want aggressive players" schtick, and then the team implodes into a pile of rubble once more.

Freak Out
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Was another Lion just arrested?

Freak Out
06-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Ha ha...Berry goes down with a DUI.

hoosier
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
They actually make charts that can tell you based on weight and with pretty good accuracy how much alcohol you can consume and safely drive. Sadly for me that means ONE glass of wine with dinner, and I never break that if I'm driving, but you'd think that with all that these guys have on the line, they'd be taught how to pay better attention after their first violations.

A guy Fairley's size could probably down five, six or even seven drinks in an hour and still be ok to drive. Just another case of wasted talent....

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/817/nickfairleymugshotphoto.jpg

Fritz
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, another Lion was just arrested - drunk, hit some parked cars while driving, walking away from police officers.

My dreams are coming true!!!

swede
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
A guy Fairley's size could probably down five, six or even seven drinks in an hour and still be ok to drive. Just another case of wasted talent....

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/817/nickfairleymugshotphoto.jpg

:rs:

:bclap:

MadScientist
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, another Lion was just arrested - drunk, hit some parked cars while driving, walking away from police officers.

My dreams are coming true!!!
Fortunately your dreams do not contain injuries to innocent people.

If your dreams are coming true, could you dream me a lottery win and some hot chicks?
:lol:

Fritz
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
As long as your hot chicks aren't married to sensitive men whose lives would be crushed if they found out their hot chicks were doing you, then sure!

Smeefers
06-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, if you're taking requests... I could definately use a soda pop.

Fritz
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm afraid I can only make your dreams come true if they somehow involve a Detroit Lion getting arrested for drugs or drunk driving, although arrests for other causes, such as hiring prostitutes or carrying firearms in strip clubs after hours, will be given due consideration.

Do you want a coke, a pepsi, or a RC cola?

sharpe1027
06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
I would like a Lion to be arrested for giving me $500,000 cash.

Fritz
06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
That would only happen if you are giving that Lion a serious amount of cocaine or some other illegal substance, like Lyndsey Lohan.

Pugger
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
And Schwartz had the gall to question McCarthy because he had our guys go clay shooting. What a tool.

Joemailman
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
And Schwartz had the gall to question McCarthy because he had our guys go clay shooting. What a tool.

One thing is for sure. Schwartz won't take his team shooting anytime soon.

KYPack
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
One thing is for sure. Schwartz won't take his team shooting anytime soon.

If he does take 'em shooting, he needs to take this happy oaf of a kid Fairly & Dick Cheney.

Smeefers
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Coke please.

And I wouldn't mind the "me loaning the Lions Lindsey Lohan for 500 K" option either. As long as I can find a way to get rid of her when they're done.

sharpe1027
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
That would only happen if you are giving that Lion a serious amount of cocaine or some other illegal substance, like Lyndsey Lohan.

Let me get this straight, all I need to do is give an illegal substance, like Lindsay Lohan, to a Lion player and I can get $500,000? I'll have to track down Lindsay Lohan first, but she might be open to me giving her to the right Lion player.

Fritz
06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I hear that Lyndsay is often pretty open.

LP
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
question McCarthy because he had our guys go clay shooting.

WTF??? Why the hell is McCarthy having guys shoot at Matthews??? Is this some kind of new agility drill?

sharpe1027
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
WTF??? Why the hell is McCarthy having guys shoot at Matthews??? Is this some kind of new agility drill?

High risk, low reward.

pbmax
06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
High risk, low reward.

Like they are doing a role play of last year's pass defense.

MadScientist
06-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Mathews is like Mongo, shooting him will only make him angry. McCarthy wants an angry Mathews for the season.

Guiness
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Mathews is like Mongo, shooting him will only make him angry. McCarthy wants an angry Mathews for the season.

:mrgreen:

Zool
06-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Clay is pawn in game of life

Upnorth
06-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Clay is pawn in game of life

Uh oh, Zool, I thnk clay has taken a liking to you.

Fritz
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Does this mean Zool's got hands of Clay?

Upnorth
06-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Does this mean Zool's got hands of Clay?

I was just going with the blazing saddles quotes. Where do they keep the white women at?

Zool
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
I was just going with the blazing saddles quotes. Where do they keep the white women at?

The sheriff is near?