05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/155554255.html

CaptainKickass
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
http://youtu.be/dCcvKloTiik

woodbuck27
05-30-2012, 05:48 AM
http://youtu.be/dCcvKloTiik

A tremendous tribute to 'the one and only' the consummate NFL WR. Donald Driver.

PACKER 'for LIFE'.

Make it happen Ted Thompson.

Tony Oday
05-30-2012, 06:43 AM
WR coaching assistant?

Smeefers
05-30-2012, 06:45 AM
All the contract does is clear the way for him to show up to training camp. I'm almost positive now though that we keep him for another season.

Fritz
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
I heard the Pack was pressured to do something because the Lions wanted to sign Driver as a consultant with the title "Act Like A Goddamn Pro You Immature AssClowns Coach."

Little Whiskey
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I heard the Pack was pressured to do something because the Lions wanted to sign Driver as a consultant with the title "Act Like A Goddamn Pro You Immature AssClowns Coach."

that would be tough to fit on a business card. Does that posistion have room for upward mobility?

woodbuck27
05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/driver-has-restructured-deal-with-packers-agent-says/article_bd2f9ee4-aa16-11e1-9689-001a4bcf887a.html

Comment woodbuck27: It certainly now appears that we will soon learn that Donald Drivers promise to Packer fans. That he would remain a Green Bay Packer for his entire career is close to reality. This just discovered:

Driver has restructured deal with Packers, agent says.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/article_bd2f9ee4-aa16-11e1-9689-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1wMINrKzq

3 hours ago • Madison.com sports

" Throughout an offseason in which he seemed almost destined to play for another franchise, Donald Driver pledged that he would be a member of the Green Bay Packers for life.

Now, it appears he’ll get that chance.

Driver agreed in principle to a restructured contract with the Packers, his agent confirmed late Tuesday to a Milwaukee TV reporter, paving the way for the team’s all-time leading receiver to return for a 14th season.

Jordan Woy, who represents Driver, informed Lance Allan of WTMJ that the sides likely will finalize a deal Wednesday. Driver may report to Green Bay for an offseason training activity Wednesday morning, according to a report by ESPN Milwaukee radio." Fr. LINK

Please CLICK on LINK for the entire story.

GO PACKERS !

Brandon494
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Damn I love being right

woodbuck27
05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Damn I love being right

What's really satisfying is when you arrive at a time in your experience culling 'the fact' that 'you usually are' right and being modest with that.

'Of course'... the real wisdom in that regard is that you should more importantly know that 'your never always right'.

Your very young. You also have potential.

sharpe1027
05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
that would be tough to fit on a business card. Does that posistion have room for upward mobility?

You might have to use the acronym: ALAGDPYIMACC.

sharpe1027
05-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Damn I love being right

The first hurdle is cleared.

MadtownPacker
05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
How could anyone turn away the newly minted champion! Plus I heard DD promised to give M3 and TT dance lessons as part of the deal.

channtheman
05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Did our chances of keeping 6 WR's this year just go up?

Smidgeon
05-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Did our chances of keeping 6 WR's this year just go up?

Only if Borel or Gurley or someone else shows they belong on a roster.

smuggler
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Dale Moss, possibly. I don't think anyone other than those 3 has a legitimate chance.

pbmax
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Damn I love being right

Did you predict restructure or roster? Because this is just step one.

RashanGary
05-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Best redzone targets on our team, in order:

Finley - Just toss it up
Jennings - As savvy as Driver is, Jennings is a dynamo in the redzone for one reason or another.
Driver - Looking for a WR to be on the same page as the QB and find the soft spot in the zone. . . . Driver is your guy. Even with his speed dwindling, it doesn't matter much when the field is 20 yards long.
Nelson - He's just good
Jones - Dude can nab low balls and jump balls

Driver is a luxury piece. He provides depth, leadership, and he's a great redzone target.

Plus, if he's going to play in the redzone, lets see some of those new dances Pita and him are bound to dream up :)

George Cumby
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
How could anyone turn away the newly minted champion! Plus I heard DD promised to give M3 and TT dance lessons as part of the deal.

I would give my left nut to see Ted on DWTS (after his retirement, of course).

smuggler
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Friggin polar bear.

Smidgeon
05-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Dale Moss, possibly. I don't think anyone other than those 3 has a legitimate chance.

I actually almost mentioned Moss in there too. But then I figured he probably makes it onto the Practice Squad first. I think there's too much transition to make the roster the first season.

Brandon494
05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Did you predict restructure or roster? Because this is just step one.

Both and hes making the roster.

BobDobbs
05-31-2012, 12:54 AM
yeah, it looks like we get to see Driver for another year. I can't imagine the other guys winning a roster spot outright. Unless somebody made a giant jump. He also played his offseason perfectly. Put all the pressure on the Packers and never made a misstep. Man, I wish I could watch a preseason game right now and see what we got.

Pugger
05-31-2012, 04:37 AM
yeah, it looks like we get to see Driver for another year. I can't imagine the other guys winning a roster spot outright. Unless somebody made a giant jump. He also played his offseason perfectly. Put all the pressure on the Packers and never made a misstep. Man, I wish I could watch a preseason game right now and see what we got.

Sometimes you can find an online stream of preseason games.

Patler
05-31-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't see that much has changed, other than some of the financial reasons have likely been removed that might otherwise have caused him to be released.

A "Packer for life"? The same thing was said when he signed the last contract. The same thing was said when Favre signed his last Packer contract. Clifton and Collins (so far), Tauscher and Henderson have been Packers for life, too, yet each had their Packer career ended early than they hoped.

Driver and the Packers are doing and saying the right things. If training camp plays out such that TT has a real strong preference for two of the young guys over Driver, I suspect Driver will simply "decide to retire". I would not be surprised if the revised contract has a Favre-offer-like "Ambassadorship" for Driver if TT decides he is not one of the top 6 receivers at the end of camp. After all, Driver has said several times this off season that he wants to avoid a situation similar to Favre's. The Packers offered Favre a chance to come to camp, too. Favre declined. Driver has accepted, but nothing is guaranteed, it never is. If only one of the younger guys is worthy, 6 WRs on the roster is likely.

Realistically, the challengers are all undrafted players. The likelihood that more than one will ever have a significant NFL career is small, but, if there are strong reasons to keep two of them rather than Driver, I am sure TT will do that.

Fritz
05-31-2012, 06:51 AM
I do think that this renegotiated contract simply is a condition Driver has met to keep the Pack from cutting him before camp, and giving him a chance to compete. Sorta like he bought his way into training camp, and then the competition will begin.

They know what they have in Driver, pretty much, but training camp will help them decide if one or two of the younguns are advanced enough to play special teams well and match Driver's (somewhat declining) skills as a receiver.

Kiwon
05-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Another thing in making the team is being in shape for training camp.

I bet DD comes in out of shape, over-weight. He's probably done nothing the whole off-season. Sitting at home just pigging out on Tex-Mex. :mrgreen:

Smeefers
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
I just read that he has a 500K signing bonus for camp and is getting paid 2.5 Mil this year. Siefert said they generally don't just give out free money to guys they are going to cut, and so his production is going to have to really drop off for them to get rid of him. I read on packers.com that MM finally addressed the 6WR issue and said that because of how they run the offense, it could make sense to keep 6, depending on ST needs. And that the decision will be made in a couple months, not today.

woodbuck27
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
I do think that this renegotiated contract simply is a condition Driver has met to keep the Pack from cutting him before camp, and giving him a chance to compete. Sorta like he bought his way into training camp, and then the competition will begin.

They know what they have in Driver, pretty much, but training camp will help them decide if one or two of the younguns are advanced enough to play special teams well and match Driver's (somewhat declining) skills as a receiver.

So your opinion is that DD sold his soul? That DD has 'no esteem' left?

NO!

Fritz
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM
So your opinion is that DD sold his soul? That DD has 'no esteem' left?

NO!

He didn't sell his soul. He just realized that if he kept the old contract, he'd never see any of that money cuz they would cut him. So he reduced his contract for the chance to win a job.

sharpe1027
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
He didn't sell his soul. He just realized that if he kept the old contract, he'd never see any of that money cuz they would cut him. So he reduced his contract for the chance to win a job.

Simple logic is simple. IMO, there was no other apparent reason for him to restructure .

Fritz
05-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Looking at your avatar...why didn't we ever call him "Mullet" Majkowski?

Smidgeon
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM

They know what they had in him last year. What they don't know--the most important part--is how much he lost in one year.

Smidgeon
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
I just read that he has a 500K signing bonus for camp and is getting paid 2.5 Mil this year. Siefert said they generally don't just give out free money to guys they are going to cut, and so his production is going to have to really drop off for them to get rid of him. I read on packers.com that MM finally addressed the 6WR issue and said that because of how they run the offense, it could make sense to keep 6, depending on ST needs. And that the decision will be made in a couple months, not today.

They'll cut him if there are younger receivers on the roster who are worth keeping. Like Patler said, I don't know if they are on the team since it's basically undrafted free agents, but the money won't prevent the team from cutting him if he's clearly the 7th (or 6th) best WR on the team.

sharpe1027
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM

While "Majk Man" was the more mainstream nickname, references to the Mullet persist to this day. Perhaps it should have been the "Majk Mullet Man"? Let's go with that from now on.

Fritz
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Just one tweak to that. How about "Majik Mullet, Man"?

sharpe1027
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Just one tweak to that. How about "Majik Mullet, Man"?

Tough call. I'll have to think on that one. It might not be clear whether you referring to Majkowski or just his mullet? Maybe a compromise? He is the Majik Mullet Man, Man.

MadScientist
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
They'll cut him if there are younger receivers on the roster who are worth keeping. Like Patler said, I don't know if they are on the team since it's basically undrafted free agents, but the money won't prevent the team from cutting him if he's clearly the 7th (or 6th) best WR on the team.

Yes, but I don't think the Packers would give him $500K if they didn't think he was better than the other options. They know those kids better than we do, and it looks to me like they think 1) Driver is better now, and 2) it won't be a huge loss to lose all but one of them, assuming they keep 6 WR's.

Smeefers
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, if Driver's the 6th or 7th WR, they're going to drop him. Of course. No one has ever argued differently. What if he's 4 or 5 though? Before it was assumed that they'd drop him if that's where he fell on the depth chart. Not so much anymore.

sharpe1027
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I look at it this way: whether Driver is the 4th or 6th WR, the main issue will be the play of the last WR to be cut. If the Packers think they will be losing a potential future starter, it will be a tough call. If the WR they would cut for Driver spot fails to impress, Driver is going to make the roster.

pbmax
06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
With $500,000 committed, the ball is really in Driver's hands. He will truly have to truly lose the position or get hurt.

Its enough that I don't think Ted thinks of it as walking away money.

gbgary
06-03-2012, 10:10 AM

because that was the style then and most of us had one. :D
i don't think that word even existed then.

woodbuck27
06-03-2012, 12:24 PM

It does seem that way now. It's called a compromise.

woodbuck27
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
With $500,000 committed, the ball is really in Driver's hands. He will truly have to truly lose the position or get hurt.

Its enough that I don't think Ted thinks of it as walking away money.

In just think that 'flat out' that DD will compete and win a position. That he still has it to contribute and his mentorship/leadership skills are valued.

Joemailman
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Yep. I believe Ryan Grant did the same thing last year.