PDA

View Full Version : The Hatfields and McCoys

Brando19
05-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Anyone watching this mini series on History? Very cool. If you haven't seen it, you should give it a chance. Kevin Costner's best role, in my opinion.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Bunch of inbred Whiteys? Could be about all you MFers.

I will have to check it out but dammit Costner better not have gills or be a postman.

KYPack
05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Bunch of inbred Whiteys? Could be about all you MFers.

I will have to check it out but dammit Costner better not have gills or be a postman.

It's a good one. Bill Paxton is a great actor. I don't like "Gillman" either, but he does a great job in this pretty close to true mini-series.

sheepshead
05-31-2012, 12:05 PM
ditto it is good, lots of interesting characters

Tony Oday
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Good way to spend 6 hours for sure. Costner was better as a fish, err post, err body, err Robin, err...yeah this is one of his best.

wist43
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
I saw it advertised... was thinking of checking it out; but skeptical of historical accuracy.

Will research the real story a bit, then watch... hollywood usually takes too many liberties. It does look pretty good though.

Zool
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Costner sucks. If he's finally decided to suck moderately less than normal, then this has a chance.

Freak Out
05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Costner sucks. If he's finally decided to suck moderately less than normal, then this has a chance.

LOL...the only movie of his I've ever really enjoyed was the baseball one....Bull Durham?

Brando19
05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I agree...Kevin Costner sucks. But this is his second movie he hasn't sucked in...the first being Open Range.

George Cumby
05-31-2012, 11:34 PM
LOL...the only movie of his I've ever really enjoyed was the baseball one....Bull Durham?

Bull Durham was pretty damn good as I remember it. Don't know if it has held up over time.

I did like Costner in "Avatar with Indians and Bison". Shit, I really can't remember the name of that movie.......

Freak Out
06-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Wait....Dances with Wolves was lame. Tin Cup was ok though.

sheepshead
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I saw it advertised... was thinking of checking it out; but skeptical of historical accuracy.

Will research the real story a bit, then watch... hollywood usually takes too many liberties. It does look pretty good though.

I was thinking the same but it could be an empty vessel with not a lot of totally accurate information available. They were hillbillies after all.

KYPack
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I was thinking the same but it could be an empty vessel with not a lot of totally accurate information available. They were hillbillies after all.

Wist, I'll tell ya, when you find the "true" story, be sure to let everybody know. So much of the story of this and other feuds has been surpressed and altered. These people were engaged in criminal activity. Some of the participants lived until the 1950's. They were guilty of capital offenses and there is no statute of limitation on murder, then and now. What the real deal was never came out in a lot of situations.

That said, it is a hell of a show.

wist43
06-02-2012, 08:40 AM
And I'm the resident cynic??

A couple of editing misques aside, my favorite Costner movie has to be "Mr. Brooks".

My hat goes off to the serial killer who knows he has a problem, and attends a 12 step program to try and deal with it... but alas, addictions can be tough to overcome :)

woodbuck27
06-02-2012, 10:33 AM

As the leader of the Hatfield clan, Kevin Costner doesn't 'SUCK' in this 3 part mini series. I enjoyed the first episode immensely.The complaint I have is why delay it over 15 days instead of three nights? It's almost as long as the feud.

Bill Paxton as the leader of the McCoy's is always good. The characterization is excellent and the way the feud is developed is fascinating.

swede
06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
I say Costner sucks, and thems of you what don't agree better keep yourselves, your hawgs and your wimmenfolk away from this side of the river.

Patler
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Taped all three, then watched them all a couple nights ago. Thought it was "OK", but nothing special. Costner was Costner. He got his lines out, but did not make it a memorable character. Mare Winningham probably delivered the most memorable character.

GrnBay007
06-02-2012, 11:27 PM
C'mon now!!! I like Costner....and he's handsome to boot!! :)

Movies of his I liked...

The Guardian
The Bodyguard
Dances With Wolves
Revenge
Field of Dreams (shout out for Iowa!) :)

idk seems like there should be more.

MJZiggy
06-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Movies of his I liked...

The Guardian
The Bodyguard
Dances With Wolves
Revenge

Seems I'm watching the wrong movies...

woodbuck27
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Seems I'm watching the wrong movies...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

Rating a very solid 8 out of 10. Not enough for some of you?

woodbuck27
06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Wist, I'll tell ya, when you find the "true" story, be sure to let everybody know. So much of the story of this and other feuds has been surpressed and altered. These people were engaged in criminal activity. Some of the participants lived until the 1950's. They were guilty of capital offenses and there is no statute of limitation on murder, then and now. What the real deal was never came out in a lot of situations.

That said, it is a hell of a show.

No kidding as with most of TV pure CRAP this series is refreshing.

MadtownPacker
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Looks like you can watch it on the HistoryChannel website.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

MJZiggy
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Looks like you can watch it on the HistoryChannel website.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

Sweet! Thank you! Now we know what I'll be doing this week. Anyone know how I hook my laptop up to this fancy TV?

MadtownPacker
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Sweet! Thank you! Now we know what I'll be doing this week. Anyone know how I hook my laptop up to this fancy TV?
If your tv has a VGA connection you should be able to do it with a PC monitor cable.

http://easy-xs.net/images/vga.jpg

MJZiggy
06-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I wonder if I have one of those laying around still...

wist43
06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
The show was okay... and for the record, I've always liked Costner. I didn't like Bill Paxton's portrayal of Randall McCoy though.

For the most part, I think the show stayed pretty close to what we know happened. 3 Hatfields dead, 7 McCoys.

wist43
06-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Movies of his I liked...

The Guardian
The Bodyguard
Dances With Wolves
Revenge

If you're a romantic, you'll like "For Love of the Game".

Zool
06-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Is it his multi-dimensional character portrayals that swayed you? His delivery is as monotone and flat as you can get.

wist43
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Is it his multi-dimensional character portrayals that swayed you? His delivery is as monotone and flat as you can get.

I prefer emotionless killing - getting all worked up, all the unneccessary histrionics... where's the percentage in that?? No, monotone works for me... shoot 'em and be done with it ;)

KYPack
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
The show was okay... and for the record, I've always liked Costner. I didn't like Bill Paxton's portrayal of Randall McCoy though.

For the most part, I think the show stayed pretty close to what we know happened. 3 Hatfields dead, 7 McCoys.

That's about the body count. There's a lot of this that is lost in the "fog of war". For instance, The show has the hanging of "cotton top" Mounts. They show Cotton top as a cute young, mentally challenged kid going to his doom. he rides in on a carriage, waving to the crowd of a hundred people or so.

Actually, "Cotton top" was a big guy with a shock of prematurely gray hair, (hence the nickname.). he was driven to the gallows guarded by 60 armed men, seated on his own casket. the crowd was huge, 4-8000 jeering specatators, including McCoys and their sympathysers. It's one of the biggest events in the history of Pikeville.

Mounts hanging was violent and bizarre deal, like many of the other actions in the feud.

I think the writers and producers did veer from the truth when some of the more sick and twisted incidents are portrayed.

Zool
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I prefer emotionless killing - getting all worked up, all the unneccessary histrionics... where's the percentage in that?? No, monotone works for me... shoot 'em and be done with it ;)

I guess I'll watch Clint Eastwood for that instead. At least he doesnt seem like a cardboard cut-out

wist43
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I guess I'll watch Clint Eastwood for that instead. At least he doesnt seem like a cardboard cut-out

Watch Mr. Brooks... bow tied businessman, family man. Portland's "Man of the Year". Get's his rocks off by killing - even a hardass like you has to appreciate that. :)

Zool
06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Watch Mr. Brooks... bow tied businessman, family man. Portland's "Man of the Year". Get's his rocks off by killing - even a hardass like you has to appreciate that. :)

I guess every shitty actor has a good role once. (see Stranger than Fiction)

wist43
06-05-2012, 06:45 AM
I guess every shitty actor has a good role once. (see Stranger than Fiction)

Are you saying that Will Ferrell isn't a comedic God??

You do realize that would be blasphemy??

Zool
06-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Are you saying that Will Ferrell isn't a comedic God??

You do realize that would be blasphemy??

I guess if you like watching the same character over and over, he's fantastic. He's on par with Dane Cook.

Here's my impersonation of both

"LOOK AT ME!!"

(fart)

"Hahaha I'm laughing so I must be funny! Right? Right?"

wist43
06-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Ironically, Dane Cook is Costner's last murder victim in "Mr. Brooks"... a happy ending to be sure ;)

Guiness
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I guess if you like watching the same character over and over, he's fantastic. He's on par with Dane Cook.

Here's my impersonation of both

"LOOK AT ME!!"

(fart)

"Hahaha I'm laughing so I must be funny! Right? Right?"

All this 'holier than though' attititude from a guy who apparently gets his kicks out of the Trailer Park Boys! I love it!

Zool
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
All this 'holier than though' attititude from a guy who apparently gets his kicks out of the Trailer Park Boys! I love it!

I'm hardly holy, just opinionated. I guess if stating my opinion makes me holy, then give me money and a city in Italy.

GrnBay007
06-06-2012, 12:57 AM
If you're a romantic, you'll like "For Love of the Game".

I'll check that out, thanks Wist!

GrnBay007
06-06-2012, 01:01 AM
I see some Costner-envy from Zool! Don't hide it anymore Zool! :)

woodbuck27
06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I see some Costner-envy from Zool! Don't hide it anymore Zool! :)

Zool is a harder study than I once thought. He's an unhappy hard ass struggling with acceptance issues and likely mild mannered and shy in person.