PDA

View Full Version : A Camp Guy?

KYPack
06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
We need one of those guys that come from nowhere and light it the fuck up, ya know.

Some think "that guy" could be Brandon Moses.

The Packers moved two outside linebackers — Brad Jones and Jamari Lattimore — to the inside, which has helped give Moses an opportunity. Also, Frank Zombo hasn’t taken part in OTAs because an unspecified injury. Last year, Lattimore and Vic So’oto made the team as undrafted rookie outside linebackers, but neither got much playing time.

In one team period during Wednesday’s OTA session, Moses had a sack or a near sack of quarterback Aaron Rodgers during a team blitz period. With the No. 2s, Moses was paired with So’oto, who played left outside linebacker as Perry’s backup.

“We like what we’ve seen of him, and as everyone knows we’ve brought a lot of guys in here at that position,” defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. “In this defense, you’re always going to be looking for that. He’s played the position, and he’s been pretty productive at the position, so he’ll be an interesting guy to follow. He’s competing right now, and you can tell he’s been at the position before.”

Moses wasn’t invited to the scouting combine and drew minimal interest in the free-agent frenzy after the draft. He said only the Packers, Saints and perhaps one other team tried to sign him. He picked the Packers even though they spent their first-round pick on another passing rushing outside linebacker, Southern California’s Perry.

“I felt like this was the perfect position for me,” Moses said. “They’re looking for a pass rusher, and the position is exactly what I do — rush and play outside linebacker. So this is where I wanted to be all along.”

Though he took a roundabout path to the NFL, at least one Packers player wasn’t surprised to see Moses land in Green Bay. Right tackle Bryan Bulaga and Moses were in the same recruiting class at Iowa, and Bulaga remembers being impressed by Moses’ pass-rushing ability when they practiced against each other their first two seasons.

“I thought he was a good player,” Bulaga said. “He was strong and quick. I’d go against him, and I thought he was good player. He can rush the passer. He’s doing a pretty good job here.”

I'm into it, gimme that Kool-Aide. I'm drinkin', goddamnit.

King Friday
06-01-2012, 11:54 PM
To me, pass rushing LBs are one of the harder positions to grade coming out of college...primarily because you have a lot of DEs in college transition to OLB in the NFL, and the guys who were LBs in college typically did not manage near the responsibilities that will be expected of them in the NFL. It seems like a position where you stand a reasonable chance of finding a diamond in the rough. Way too early to pin high expectations on this kid, but it seems like he's at least going in the right direction.

Lurker64
06-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Do you mean Dezman Moses KY? He was an Iowa recruit who transfered to Tulane, has moved back and forth between DE and LB so the whole "playing in space" thing isn't new to him. He's got as good a shot as any of the undrafted guys to make the roster.

KYPack
06-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I mean Dezman Moses.

I was going to make a post ribbing our own Brandon and screwed the names up.

What the hell, it's the internet, ya get what ya paid for my post!

woodbuck27
06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I mean Dezman Moses.

I was going to make a post ribbing our own Brandon and screwed the names up.

What the hell, it's the internet, ya get what ya paid for my post!

You need to be aware of the member competing for the Packerrats 'Sharpie Award' of the day.

Lurker64 doesn't qualify with his post as I respect him as a member that merely trys to keep the record straight.

Guiness
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I have high hopes for last year's 'camp guy', So'oto. He came in as an UDFA, looked great in the preseason, but then started the year on the injury report, and never seemed to regain the form he flashed. Hopefully he will recover, and an NFL offseason program will do him wonders!

Fritz
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I wonder what the guy's story is...why he transferred to Tulane, of all places.

But I like the idea of having a guy named "Moses" on the team. Whenever the Packers play a team like the Falcons or Giants or any team that has occasion to wear a red jersey, the possibility of Moses parting the Red Sea is exciting to me.

As for the rest of the competition, he could inflict plagues upon them.

Lurker64
06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I wonder what the guy's story is...why he transferred to Tulane, of all places.

I think he got busted for public intoxication as a minor and quit the Hawkeyes in order to dodge the discipline that Ferentz was going to send his way (there have been a few people who transfered out of Iowa for similar reasons) and Tulane was willing to take him.

Joemailman
06-03-2012, 09:02 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120601/PKR01/120601109/Undrafted-Dezman-Moses-turning-heads-pass-rushing-LB

To be sure, it’s been a few years since Moses played outside linebacker. He was a backup at that spot for parts of two seasons at Iowa but saw his playing time drop after he served a suspension following a public intoxication arrest early in the 2008 season. He then transferred to Tulane, where he played two years at defensive end. As a senior, he had 9½ sacks in 13 games and was a second-team all-Conference USA selection by the league’s coaches.

Fritz
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/03/05/moses460.jpg

Looks like an outside linebacker to me.

BobDobbs
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
This is the time for the koolaid. It's almost summer and all we hear are the glowing reviews based on a play or two during a practice. The part of the preseason that I love and hate is that we get hyped on guys and then get to see them go against 3rd and 4th stringers who haven't done any tape study of the opponent. I loved So'oto for that. He could beat those guys, he picked off a pass, and he had an awesome sack dance. Then it gets to the season and they don't feel comfortable giving him snaps. Thing is he looks like a college DE playing linebacker.

Moses played some linebacker, that's gotta help him. I'm going to wait until I see his sack dance before I'm all in though.

Iron Mike
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
The part of the preseason that I love and hate is that we get hyped on guys and then get to see them go against 3rd and 4th stringers who haven't done any tape study of the opponent.

Like when Larry McCarren used to hype on KGB in his rookie year...."The Beer Man!!!"

KYPack
06-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Atlas Herrion, Whisper Goodman, Matt Flynn, & countless other guys.

It's the "Rites of camp" and I, too, love it.

Fritz
06-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm with BobbDobbs - I want to see his sack dance before I decide whether he's the next Wayne Simmons.

I'm surprised that NFL execs and scouts don't have guys do their sack/touchdown dances at the combine. It's a great way to tell if a guy is going to be a player in the NFL.

Ah, the Travis Jerveys of the world. Ya gotta love 'em.

BobDobbs
06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised that NFL execs and scouts don't have guys do their sack/touchdown dances at the combine. It's a great way to tell if a guy is going to be a player in the NFL.

That's hilarious. They definitely need to add it to the combine. It'll be like the slam dunk contest on All-Star weekend.

They also need to add cheerleaders to the combine. I don't mean on the sideline either. Flexibility tests, vertical jump, 40 yard booty shake... things like that.

I'm writing Goodell right now. I bet that little ratings whore will do it.

Lurker64
06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Atlas Herrion, Whisper Goodman, Matt Flynn, & countless other guys.

It's the "Rites of camp" and I, too, love it.

It's also an amusing contrast to how drafted guys somehow go from "Pro Bowl upside" to "Dumb rookies" from April to August.

KYPack
06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
It's also an amusing contrast to how drafted guys somehow go from "Pro Bowl upside" to "Dumb rookies" from April to August.

The downside is the highly touted kid who turns out to be a flop.

You hear all the hype about a Brian Brohm.

Then, when he hits camp, he couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat!

sharpe1027
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
That's hilarious. They definitely need to add it to the combine. It'll be like the slam dunk contest on All-Star weekend.

They also need to add cheerleaders to the combine. I don't mean on the sideline either. Flexibility tests, vertical jump, 40 yard booty shake... things like that.

I'm writing Goodell right now. I bet that little ratings whore will do it.

Does that mean they will also have a cheerleader draft?

Fritz
06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
What a great idea - a cheerleader draft!

Make it into a reality TV show...imagine it....that Cincy Bungals gal, telling the camera about her love for that 17 year old kid, and how she hopes it doesn't ruin her chances....another lil' cutie talking about how she wants this more than anything, and she'll do anything to win...

And the judges? The Scouts? The teams' fans, of course! You'd pick a fan group from each team - oh, say, like Packerrats would represent the Green Bay Packers. The "scouts" would, uh, drill the cheerleaders, as they say in coachspeak ("We're drilling them on their knee bend today!"). Naturally, Bretsky would have the cheerleaders face off in one-on-one drills. Other Packerrat scouts would "work out" the girls, looking for particular skills. The Packerrats "medical staff" would measure, weigh, probe and prod the cheerleaders.

I imagine that Mad, as the owner, would be featured. I would like to apply to be the GM. I'm a little unclear about the whole "head coach" position, however. As for that, if I can't be GM I think I'd rather be a "position" coach.

sharpe1027
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
What part of "head" coach was unclear?

Upnorth
06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
What a great idea - a cheerleader draft!

Make it into a reality TV show...imagine it....that Cincy Bungals gal, telling the camera about her love for that 17 year old kid, and how she hopes it doesn't ruin her chances....another lil' cutie talking about how she wants this more than anything, and she'll do anything to win...

And the judges? The Scouts? The teams' fans, of course! You'd pick a fan group from each team - oh, say, like Packerrats would represent the Green Bay Packers. The "scouts" would, uh, drill the cheerleaders, as they say in coachspeak ("We're drilling them on their knee bend today!"). Naturally, Bretsky would have the cheerleaders face off in one-on-one drills. Other Packerrat scouts would "work out" the girls, looking for particular skills. The Packerrats "medical staff" would measure, weigh, probe and prod the cheerleaders.

I imagine that Mad, as the owner, would be featured. I would like to apply to be the GM. I'm a little unclear about the whole "head coach" position, however. As for that, if I can't be GM I think I'd rather be a "position" coach.

Post of the year! I think the scouting department would be overwhelmed with applications.

Fritz
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
What part of "head" coach was unclear?

I just don't think I would want to, nor would I be qualified to, coach that particular skill. I did have an idea for the gender of such a coach, but have no desire to demean or drag any of those Packerrats into the discussion.

I am already prepping for my interview with Mad for the GM position. I will let him know of my qualifications - my particular skill at finding hidden talent that others might overlook, my thoroughness and dedication to such a job, and of course the fact that I watch hours and hours of film. I am, in fact, a film room junkie.

sharpe1027
06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I just don't think I would want to, nor would I be qualified to, coach that particular skill. I did have an idea for the gender of such a coach, but have no desire to demean or drag any of those Packerrats into the discussion.

I am already prepping for my interview with Mad for the GM position. I will let him know of my qualifications - my particular skill at finding hidden talent that others might overlook, my thoroughness and dedication to such a job, and of course the fact that I watch hours and hours of film. I am, in fact, a film room junkie.

I don't know, there are many coaches that have never played the position they coach. For example, some coaches have only ever been on the receiving end of the skills they coach -- an offensive player coaching defense, or a kicker returner coaching a kicker so to speak. Perhaps you are more qualified than you originally thought.

BobDobbs
06-07-2012, 09:37 PM

As much as it might make sense to start as a quality control coach. And tight ends might be a good entry position. My stance is you just can't turn down a head coaching job if it's offerred.

MJZiggy
06-07-2012, 09:39 PM

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the book Middlesex. Nuff said.

denverYooper
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM

How are you on judging pad level?

Fritz
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Very good. Also adept at finding different positions. And conducting interviews.

Given the state of the current squad, I might trade down if the opportunity presents itself - there's a lot of talent coming.

denverYooper
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Very good. Also adept at finding different positions. And conducting interviews.

Given the state of the current squad, I might trade down if the opportunity presents itself - there's a lot of talent coming.

Good idea, it's probably time to move on from some of the older vets who are starting to break down and bring in some young talent with upside.

Freak Out
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Probe deeper!