PDA

View Full Version : GBPG article: Rodgers wants to be "Packer for life"

digitaldean
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
http://pck.rs/LZlTcc

Found the article to be pretty decent, especially coming from Capt. Negativity Mike Vandermause.

Rodgers said that he doesn't envision himself playing anywhere else...
I want to be a Packer for life and I don’t see myself going anywhere else.

Considering his honesty re: the Pro Bowl fiasco and other issues, I'm feeling more comfortable about him playing for only this team.

He feels that the team is the deepest it has been in the past eight years. Let's hope that talent can convert that to getting back to, and winning, the Super Bowl.

gbgary
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
it seems from Rodgers comments that he won't hold up the team the way brees seems to be doing in no.

Tony Oday
06-03-2012, 11:17 AM
What about his Vikings Contract?! Vikes fans are crying right now...

Bossman641
06-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Most telling answer to me....

Q: How long do you want to play?

Rodgers: “I think it’s got to be a combination of how my body feels and I’ve said it a few times over the years, when I’m not committed to being a 100 percent offseason guy, then that’s probably when I should step away from the game because these guys deserve 100 percent of my effort and time.”

MadtownPacker
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Is it possible this also might be about redoing his contract (one I thought was kinda cheap) for one that is longer term and mo'money?

MadtownPacker
06-03-2012, 11:34 AM
What about his Vikings Contract?! Vikes fans are crying right now...
Careful, you also never thought it would happen with the last guy......

LEWCWA
06-03-2012, 03:04 PM
where have we heard that b4? It is easy to say now when you are on top of your game and in your prime, but another thing altogether when the writing is on the wall and you still want to play.

LEWCWA
06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Most telling answer to me....

Q: How long do you want to play?

Rodgers: “I think it’s got to be a combination of how my body feels and I’ve said it a few times over the years, when I’m not committed to being a 100 percent offseason guy, then that’s probably when I should step away from the game because these guys deserve 100 percent of my effort and time.”

This just wreaks as a little jab to everyone's lightening rod. Rodgers is definately the master of the backhanded comment. How could anyone see anything wrong with that answer! Hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder for years, I think it has made him a better player!

Joemailman
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
This just wreaks as a little jab to everyone's lightening rod. Rodgers is definately the master of the backhanded comment. How could anyone see anything wrong with that answer! Hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder for years, I think it has made him a better player!

Yep. I'm pretty sure it really rankled Rodgers when Favre tried to reclaim his job after Rodgers had done all the offseason work with the team. I don't think Rodgers hates Favre, but I'll bet he doesn't have much respect for the way Favre handled the last 3 years of his career.

smuggler
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Haha, Rodgers burns Favre again. Classic.

George Cumby
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Not to be a Homer, okay, I'm a Homer, but I like that guy more and more.

And no, I don't think he's going to turn into you know who. From what little we see, this one is too grounded with the right support structure around him to go that route.

Furthermore, there are none of the danger signs that we ignored or were ignorant of with YKW.

This guy keeps it tight and close, as it should be.

Kiwon
06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Nice read. A-Rod is a solid guy and GB is a good organization. However, business is business. It's one thing to say that you want to stay with one team at age 28 when you are the league's MVP and everyone loves you. It's another to say this same thing at age 35 when the team could be struggling and wants to play a younger QB.

I mean, Joe Montana finished with Chiefs.

It'd be cool if A-Rod could finish like Elway and leave on top. But very few have the chance to do that. Rodgers seems to be exceptionally well-grounded, however, and it seems that whatever he puts his mind to, he succeeds. A storybook ending, while improbable, would be very nice indeed.

Patler
06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Nice read. A-Rod is a solid guy and GB is a good organization. However, business is business. It's one thing to say that you want to stay with one team at age 28 when you are the league's MVP and everyone loves you. It's another to say this same thing at age 35 when the team could be struggling and wants to play a younger QB.

I mean, Joe Montana finished with Chiefs.

It'd be cool if A-Rod could finish like Elway and leave on top. But very few have the chance to do that. Rodgers seems to be exceptionally well-grounded, however, and it seems that whatever he puts his mind to, he succeeds. A storybook ending, while improbable, would be very nice indeed.

Rodgers has one thing going for him that could lead to having the end of his career play out the way we would like it to. He has already made plans for his next career in the music industry. Many top athletes have no clue what to do when they leave their sports, and for that reason some hang on and hang on. How many times when he was a young man did Favre say that he could never play for another team? That when the Packers no longer wanted him, he would simply retire? Yet, when that exact scenario came to pass, he couldn't leave.

It is easier to walk away from one career when you are walking directly toward another career. It is hard to walk away when you don't know where you are headed. It looks like Rodgers will have something to go to when the end of his NFL career draws near. The down side of that is that it could also cause him to leave a season or two sooner than we would like him to.

Kiwon
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Besides the obvious physical skills, the two things that impress me most about A-Rod is how deftly he handles the media attention he draws, and, more than that, his character. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, maybe a quieter version of Tim Tebow.

Tony Oday
06-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Careful, you also never thought it would happen with the last guy......

It is the usual thing I rip on by Viking Fan Buddies..."dont worry you will have a reall QB in 15 or so years that will take you almost far enough just to fail again..." I mean I am sure Ahman Green could catch on with the Vikes if he tried.

Fritz
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
I do think people are right; it's easier to say this stuff when you're 28 and in your prime...but I do hope it works out well for both sides.

But what does this guy want to do in the music business? Bang hot singer chicks?

If only Brent had said he wanted to get into photography after he retired!

Tony Oday
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Thought Favre was looking into media relations or PR ;)

woodbuck27
06-05-2012, 06:38 AM

I find it very weird that 'yes' the back handed jabs seem to come from one source and that man's name isn't Brett Favre. Yet it's Favre that gets credit for holding 'the grudge'.

It's laughable how twisted this tale has become. How Packer fans twist it to suit their own agenda's.

Smeefers
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh crap, here we go, another thread that should have been in the Favre thread.

Well, I'll respond. Wood, this back handed complement does come from Aaron and no, In the big picture, it's not good for healing the rift between Favre and the Packers. This is one of the very few times you can actually point at Rodgers and say "bad, don't do that again!" Unfortunately, Brett has a plethora of examples in where he's taken cheap shots at Rodgers, the organization and it's management. To suggest otherwise would be dishonest.

Patler
06-05-2012, 08:06 AM
What Rodgers said is what athletes say all the time. (Well, maybe not D. Iverson. "Practice? You mean practice?....".)
As with everything Favre, Rodgers and Packers related, much too much is being read into even standard, everyday comments, even if Rodgers did recognize the hidden meaning some would find, which he likely did.

The simple fact is that ANY comment Rodgers makes about commitment will be viewed by some as a jab at Favre simply because Favre took advantage of Sherman for a long time. At this point, I doubt Rodgers thinks or cares much about Favre, certainly not enough to plan any digs at a guy who has been gone that long.

woodbuck27
06-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh crap, here we go, another thread that should have been in the Favre thread.

Well, I'll respond. Wood, this back handed complement does come from Aaron and no, In the big picture, it's not good for healing the rift between Favre and the Packers. This is one of the very few times you can actually point at Rodgers and say "bad, don't do that again!" Unfortunately, Brett has a plethora of examples in where he's taken cheap shots at Rodgers, the organization and it's management. To suggest otherwise would be dishonest.

That's me...so dishonest? NO ! :-)

I simply see it differently. Ohh ....I didn't bring up the back handed reference. It's too obvious that ARod is the one with the issue NOT Favre....but we musn't debate that here. Maybe? ....and simply agree to disagree.

Pugger
06-05-2012, 09:03 AM
That's me...so dishonest? NO ! :-)

I simply see it differently. Ohh ....I didn't bring up the back handed reference. It's too obvious that ARod is the one with the issue NOT Favre....but we musn't debate that here. Maybe? ....and simply agree to disagree.

What issue does ARod have?

George Cumby
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I find it very weird that 'yes' the back handed jabs seem to come from one source and that man's name isn't Brett Favre. Yet it's Favre that gets credit for holding 'the grudge'.

It's laughable how twisted this tale has become. How Packer fans twist it to suit their own agenda's.

"The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn't do it sooner."

Cheesehead Craig
06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
What Rodgers said is what athletes say all the time. (Well, maybe not D. Iverson. "Practice? You mean practice?....".)
As with everything Favre, Rodgers and Packers related, much too much is being read into even standard, everyday comments, even if Rodgers did recognize the hidden meaning some would find, which he likely did.

The simple fact is that ANY comment Rodgers makes about commitment will be viewed by some as a jab at Favre simply because Favre took advantage of Sherman for a long time. At this point, I doubt Rodgers thinks or cares much about Favre, certainly not enough to plan any digs at a guy who has been gone that long.

This! Far too much is being read into this. I didn't see any backhanded jabs at Favre at all. It's the same stuff other athletes say all the time.

Ah the joys of the offseason.

Bossman641
06-05-2012, 12:56 PM

You mean like Favre saying he was surprised Rodgers didn't win a SB earlier with how much talent they had?? What would you call that?

Smidgeon
06-05-2012, 07:34 PM
You mean like Favre saying he was surprised Rodgers didn't win a SB earlier with how much talent they had?? What would you call that?

That one wasn't that backhanded. Nothing subtle about it.

Pugger
06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
This! Far too much is being read into this. I didn't see any backhanded jabs at Favre at all. It's the same stuff other athletes say all the time.

Ah the joys of the offseason.

BINGO!!!

Fritz
06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
You guys obviously don't speak "Reedbetweenthalines." It's an obscure language, to be sure, but if you know it well you'd also recognize that in this interview Rodgers was also imtimating that he would never, ever take a picture of his penis and send it to a woman he was not dating.

Cheesehead Craig
06-06-2012, 09:05 AM
You guys obviously don't speak "Reedbetweenthalines." It's an obscure language, to be sure, but if you know it well you'd also recognize that in this interview Rodgers was also imtimating that he would never, ever take a picture of his penis and send it to a woman he was not dating.

Pfffft. Prude.

woodbuck27
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
BINGO!!!

See and yes ! Denial always hides all TRUTH.

woodbuck27
06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
That one wasn't that backhanded. Nothing subtle about it.

Does anyone have a reference to the actual quote?

We're all quilty of this error. Words get omitted or replaced as that effects the message of the writer's interpretation and agenda. That's by no means always apparent to the writer even as it deceives.

Smeefers
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Here you go Wood.

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1113764.html

Fritz
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Pfffft. Prude.

I am a prude, yes. I only send penis pictures to women I am dating or have dated.