PDA

View Full Version : So What's the Difference? Neal vs Brown Suspensions.

Patler
06-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Andre Brown has had his 4 game suspension lifted after appealing it. He said it was for using Adderall under a doctors prescription, but that he had not gotten league approval.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/01/andre-brown-says-his-suspensions-been-lifted/

Mike Neal appealed and lost. He too said it was for using Adderall. From FS Wisconsin:

Mike Neal suspension update: In late March, defensive lineman Mike Neal told FOXSportsWisconsin.com exclusively that his four-game suspension from the NFL was a technicality due to miscommunication and not a true violation of the league's performance-enhancing drug policy. On Wednesday, Neal told WBAY-TV's Pat Mayo that he failed the test due to his prescription to Adderall, which he was taking for attention-deficit disorder.

I wonder what the differences are in the details. Does Neal not have a prescription himself?

Joemailman
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Darned if I know. Perhaps the Neal story isn't over. Either the Packers or the NFLPA should be all over this.

denverYooper
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Goddell just wants to stick it to the Packers. Look at how he ruined Jolly's life.

Smeefers
06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think it's a hit job by Godell, there's got to be something to the story that we're not hearing. I'm very happy to hear that it's Adderal that he got busted for though instead of steriods or something worse.

Patler
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Goddell just wants to stick it to the Packers. Look at how he ruined Jolly's life.

That one has always bothered me. Ultimately, it was certainly Jolly's fault and no one else. But, the DA seemed to want to stick it to Jolly in how they originally charged and prolonged the case, and Goodell seemed to want to ensure that Jolly's downward spiral continued. Both seemed ready to throw him away from the start of the two year fiasco.

Fritz
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree. I, personally, enjoy feeling that the Packers are unjustly persecuted.

Speaking of, now Justin Blackmon of Jacksonville has been arrested for a DUI. How will the league handle that, and how will they handle both Nick Fairley and Mikel LeShoure being busted twice each in the space of three months?

Aren't those offenses worse than taking Adderall?

Smidgeon
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Speaking of, now Justin Blackmon of Jacksonville has been arrested for a DUI. How will the league handle that, and how will they handle both Nick Fairley and Mikel LeShoure being busted twice each in the space of three months?

They are worse. Unfortunately, the discipline falls under differently negotiated consequences.

MadtownPacker
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Is one guy Blacker than the other one?

KYPack
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Is one guy Blacker than the other one?

Just a tad.

If yer brown, you can stick around.

I think Goodell is a dickhead.

Fer instance, I think Fujita got nailed just so they could suspend one white boy.

Goodell has played this "New Sheriff in town" shit to death, IMVHO.

Smeefers
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Jolly was a drug dealing dirt bag who got what he deserved.

Joemailman
06-04-2012, 08:39 PM

Jolly was a drug addict who was denied access to his best support group. Donald Driver dealt drugs too, but got his life turned around with the help of his grandmother. My guess is Driver would take exception with your description of Jolly.

smuggler
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM

You obvious don't know anything about the Jolly situation, so you are invited to shut your damn mouth.

Re: Andre Brown

He's a Giant. Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the Giants' front office is so far up Goodell's ass it's cuddling his tonsils. That's the difference.

woodbuck27
06-05-2012, 06:30 AM

RE: Justin Blackmon blowing ' a DUI' level of 0.24.

Re: The LIONS' Fairly and LeShoure. On 'a second offense', that should get the attention of the NFL HO....and possible action against these two players.

Smeefers
06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Jolly was a drug addict who was denied access to his best support group. Donald Driver dealt drugs too, but got his life turned around with the help of his grandmother. My guess is Driver would take exception with your description of Jolly.

You want to know the huuuge difference between Jolly and Driver? When Driver grew up, he ran away from that shit as fast as he could. When Jolly grew up, he kept it close to home and brought it with him where ever he went. Some things get worse the older you get. Don't you remember how much Codine he had on him? It's not like he was running a small time operation there. The dude was livin the thug life and paid the price. Every dealer knows the consequences of his actions. You either get out or you get caught. There ain't no old men in the game without a stain on their record at the very least, but someone carrying as much as he did,it's a surprise he wasn't in jail longer.

smuggler
06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Read the facts again Smeefers. He had a large quantity of substance that contained codeine. Based on the fundamentally idiotic way that Texas actually accounts for drugs, they charged him with having almost ten thousand times more codeine than he actually had.

Fritz
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Just a tad.

If yer brown, you can stick around.

I think Goodell is a dickhead.

Fer instance, I think Fujita got nailed just so they could suspend one white boy.

Goodell has played this "New Sheriff in town" shit to death, IMVHO.

Wait...since when does a guy named "Fujita" get classified as a white boy?

I'm so confused about all this race stuff!

It's much easier to pin it on Roger Goodell's clear hatred of the Green Bay Packers.

I heard that he suggested to the NFL rules committee that Aaron Rodgers should have to wear ankle weights.

On a more serious note, the "system" of supsensions doesn't seem like a system at all. It appears to do more than account for differences in each case; it appears almost whimisical.

Adderall gets you four games if you're Mike Neal but none if you're Andre Brown. If you're a codeine convict you're suspended for a year and then forever, perhaps. If you get busted for domestic assault it's all cool as long as you apologize and enroll in anger management. If you get busted for a DUI or pot smoking, well, we'll see.

smuggler
06-05-2012, 12:43 PM
He suspended Jolly after he was arrested, but before he was even charged with anything.

sharpe1027
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
He suspended Jolly after he was arrested, but before he was even charged with anything.

I thought his suspension occurred after he was charged and after he broke the terms of his bond? It was before he was convicted, however.

Smeefers
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Read the facts again Smeefers. He had a large quantity of substance that contained codeine. Based on the fundamentally idiotic way that Texas actually accounts for drugs, they charged him with having almost ten thousand times more codeine than he actually had.

Okay, I read up on it. He was first arrested for having 200 grams of codine, then he was arrested for having 600 grams then again for an unspecified amount. In comparrision, a tylenol 3 has 3 mg of Codine. If you would like me to do the math for you I will. That's 266,667 (total) T-3's. The highest recomended dosage I could find was 30 mg's. That would be 26,667 (total) doses. He had an abundent amount. You can get as upset as you want, but the dude was distributing. In all he was charged with possession, intent to distribute, driving on a suspended license, tampering with evidence and violation of probation. I stand by what I said, fuck that degenerate. He got what he deserved.

Guiness
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Okay, I read up on it. He was first arrested for having 200 grams of codine, then he was arrested for having 600 grams then again for an unspecified amount. In comparrision, a tylenol 3 has 3 mg of Codine. If you would like me to do the math for you I will. That's 266,667 (total) T-3's. The highest recomended dosage I could find was 30 mg's. That would be 26,667 (total) doses. He had an abundent amount. You can get as upset as you want, but the dude was distributing. In all he was charged with possession, intent to distribute, driving on a suspended license, tampering with evidence and violation of probation. I stand by what I said, fuck that degenerate. He got what he deserved.

Go find the old thread on this, which Smuggler alluded to.

You did the math yourself that showed how ridiculous the charge was. 270, 000 tylenol 3's would take up the whole drunk, not be in a cupholder. The way Texas frames their drug laws, you get charged for the quantity of the substance containing the drug, not for the quantity of the drug itself. So, if you have a 600ml cola laced with codein, you get charged with having 600g (given 1ml = 1g).

denverYooper
06-05-2012, 03:43 PM

It's much easier to pin it on Roger Goodell's clear hatred of the Green Bay Packers.

I heard that he suggested to the NFL rules committee that Aaron Rodgers should have to wear ankle weights.

On a more serious note, the "system" of supsensions doesn't seem like a system at all. It appears to do more than account for differences in each case; it appears almost whimisical.

Adderall gets you four games if you're Mike Neal but none if you're Andre Brown. If you're a codeine convict you're suspended for a year and then forever, perhaps. If you get busted for domestic assault it's all cool as long as you apologize and enroll in anger management. If you get busted for a DUI or pot smoking, well, we'll see.

Whimsy is about right. I don't really think that Goodell is out to get the Packers but he does at times seem inconsistent at best. He seems to over-punish the low-to-middle profile offenders and players who admit to wrongdoing . And James Harrison. He loves punishing James Harrison, even though other players are out there doing the same thing.

BobDobbs
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM

He did get what he deserved in that he kept testing positive. If he would have stayed clean he would still be playing right now. Or really if he would have just been using a less testable drug like cocaine he might have never gotten caught.

As far as dealing, it's really unclear. What they caught him with that night was mostly soda. They weigh the medium. It's similar to LSD. If you get caught with a tiny vial with one hundred hits you face a lesser charge than one hit on a strawberry. It's stupid sentencing, but that's drug war america. I don't correlate people's sentence to their morality because it's inconsistent. In some states you'll get more time for a little bit of weed than rape.

What I always wonder about in regards to his sentence was the claim that the prosecution made in pre-trial that he was involved in a distribution ring since his rookie year. His case never went to trial, so that claim never had to be backed up with evidence publicly. When it first came out I figured that they were posturing to force him into a plea, but as time has gone on I think he loses the benefit of the doubt.

My totally unfounded speculation is that when he signed his rookie contract he got a 20,000 bonus or whatever sixth rounders get and invested that with people back home who were distributing. That was probably the first time he had enough money to make bulk buys. Takes money to make money, so they kept it up and gave him his cut. Then after he got arrested the NFL sent an investigator down who talked to someone in the DA's office or drug unit who dished a bunch of evidence around him being a money man. Then they suspend him indefinitely, but they can't say publicly that they've got this information that may be part of an ongoing investigation and may not even be legal for them to possess. Long story short the league office decided that there is no way in hell that any NFL player is going to hit the headlines as a drug kingpin.

It's also possible that he tested positive and then as he was going through the appeals process he tested positive one or more times and got arrested. At that point the league said "fuck off, you're stupid and you're gonna end up fuckin' with our money, bye."

sharpe1027
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
It's also possible that he tested positive and then as he was going through the appeals process he tested positive one or more times and got arrested. At that point the league said "fuck off, you're stupid and you're gonna end up fuckin' with our money, bye."

There was some speculation at the time that he might have a failed test that was never made public. If the test occurred while he was out on bond, they might have done him a favor by keeping it quiet.

Pure speculation.

th87
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM

You couldn't be more wrong.

1. Jolly was found with ONE half-filled bottle of Purple Drank in each instance.
2. Purple Drank is a mixture containing Sprite + a bit of prescription cough syrup (of which a small part is codeine) + a Jolly Rancher.
3. As per Texas law, if you are caught with a mixture containing a certain controlled substance, you are charged as though THE ENTIRE MIXTURE was the controlled substance.

So in reality, all Jolly had was the little codeine that was present in the cough syrup. Thus, your assertions are incorrect. I'm curious to see whether you'll admit it though.

BobDobbs
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
There was some speculation at the time that he might have a failed test that was never made public. If the test occurred while he was out on bond, they might have done him a favor by keeping it quiet.

Pure speculation.

Yeah I know, most of what we have is speculation because of confidentiality around drug testing and the fact the case didn't go to trial. If my memory is correct only Jolly and Gregg Williams have been suspended indefinitely by Goodell. So what's up with that? Maybe we'll find out twenty years from now.

sharpe1027
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
3. As per Texas law, if you are caught with a mixture containing a certain controlled substance, you are charged as though THE ENTIRE MIXTURE was the controlled substance.

There is a lesson here folks: don't dilute your drugs in Texas. Take em straight like a man.

Someone should sell a drink container with two reservoirs and a common drink spout that only mixes the codeine as it is consumed. That way you won't get sentenced based upon how much soda you bought at the 7-eleven.

Iron Mike
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
http://pegasusnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/03/02/thumbs/dont-mess-with-texas.jpg.380x380_q85.jpg

smuggler
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
If he had a decent defense, he could have appealed based on the unscientific nature of the law and gotten his crap knocked down, but the thing is, he didn't get hammered that bad anyway, so there was no point to do it in the legal realm. However, the way his charges were framed undoubtedly damned him in the perspective of his pro career.

pbmax
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
http://pegasusnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/03/02/thumbs/dont-mess-with-texas.jpg.380x380_q85.jpg

There should be an asterisk mentioning the shock parole.

th87
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
If he had a decent defense, he could have appealed based on the unscientific nature of the law and gotten his crap knocked down, but the thing is, he didn't get hammered that bad anyway, so there was no point to do it in the legal realm. However, the way his charges were framed undoubtedly damned him in the perspective of his pro career.

Well, that's what he did. Originally, they wanted to charge him with intent to distribute based on the amount of the full mixture. Then the state was ordered to find out exactly how much codeine there was in the mixture. It was the repeat offense that got him time.

Very unfortunate. Jolly was an addict. Not a dealer. If Goodell was really interested in his players, he'd let Jolly come back and be part of a controlled environment. It was the loss of this that caused Jolly to backslide in the first place.

mission
06-05-2012, 11:21 PM
There is a lesson here folks: don't dilute your drugs in Texas. Take em straight like a man.

Someone should sell a drink container with two reservoirs and a common drink spout that only mixes the codeine as it is consumed. That way you won't get sentenced based upon how much soda you bought at the 7-eleven.

Good stuff! :lol:

Fritz
06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
He did get what he deserved in that he kept testing positive. If he would have stayed clean he would still be playing right now. Or really if he would have just been using a less testable drug like cocaine he might have never gotten caught.

As far as dealing, it's really unclear. What they caught him with that night was mostly soda. They weigh the medium. It's similar to LSD. If you get caught with a tiny vial with one hundred hits you face a lesser charge than one hit on a strawberry. It's stupid sentencing, but that's drug war america. I don't correlate people's sentence to their morality because it's inconsistent. In some states you'll get more time for a little bit of weed than rape.

What I always wonder about in regards to his sentence was the claim that the prosecution made in pre-trial that he was involved in a distribution ring since his rookie year. His case never went to trial, so that claim never had to be backed up with evidence publicly. When it first came out I figured that they were posturing to force him into a plea, but as time has gone on I think he loses the benefit of the doubt.

My totally unfounded speculation is that when he signed his rookie contract he got a 20,000 bonus or whatever sixth rounders get and invested that with people back home who were distributing. That was probably the first time he had enough money to make bulk buys. Takes money to make money, so they kept it up and gave him his cut. Then after he got arrested the NFL sent an investigator down who talked to someone in the DA's office or drug unit who dished a bunch of evidence around him being a money man. Then they suspend him indefinitely, but they can't say publicly that they've got this information that may be part of an ongoing investigation and may not even be legal for them to possess. Long story short the league office decided that there is no way in hell that any NFL player is going to hit the headlines as a drug kingpin.

If you are correct, then basically the NFL is punishing Jolly for attempting to become an entrepreneur who was advocating for his own product by consuming it. That's like punishing a car dealer for driving the vehicle he's selling. It's goddamn unAmerican to punish young entrepreneurs in this country.

Smeefers
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Alright, I did some more reading. I tried to find this "They count all the liquid in the container as codine" portion of the law and couldn't. No web searches brought it up and the only thing I got was an unsourced comment in the "Outside the Lines - Johnny Jolly" thread.

The only place I found anything that could be read that way was in the definitions in the Texas Law: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/hs/htm/hs.481.htm

(50) "Abuse unit" means: (A) except as provided by Paragraph (B): (i) a single unit on or in any adulterant, dilutant, or similar carrier medium, including marked or perforated blotter paper, a tablet, gelatin wafer, sugar cube, or stamp, or other medium that contains any amount of a controlled substance listed in Penalty Group 1-A, if the unit is commonly used in abuse of that substance; or(ii) each quarter-inch square section of paper, if the adulterant, dilutant, or carrier medium is paper not marked or perforated into individual abuse units; or(B) if the controlled substance is in liquid form, 40 micrograms of the controlled substance including any adulterant or dilutant.

That only talks about the "abuse unit" not about the quantity of the actual drug he was caught with. To my knowledge, Jolly was arrested earlier, the charges were dropped while they waited on equipment specifically designed to measure Codiene and then was recharged : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jolly

On July 8, 2008, Houston police arrested Jolly for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, a second-degree felony. He appeared at court on July 22. He became the first Packer since 2000 to stand trial on a felony charge. Charges against Jolly were dismissed in a Texas court on July 16, but were refiled shortly after on December 2009. The dismissal stemmed from police awaiting new equipment that measures codeine amounts.[1]

I feel I've done enough research.

Smeefers
06-06-2012, 08:23 AM
And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Big woop, not the first time. But please, don't just say something, source something so I can confirm it. He's still a degenerate piece of shit who got what he deserved.

woodbuck27
06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Big woop, not the first time. But please, don't just say something, source something so I can confirm it. He's still a degenerate piece of shit who got what he deserved.

My interpretation of this as a bottom line is that... 'in fact' ... your NOT wrong as it seems very obvious; given all the facts, that Johnny Jolly will NOT ever wear a Green Bay Packers 'game jersey' again.

MadScientist
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
At the risk of turning this thread back on topic, it looks like the difference is that Neal got his prescription from a non-NFL doc this past year, but the other adderall guy had a prescription coming into the league, and just continued it. Still, Neal is going to try a second appeal.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120605/PKR01/120605114/Notebook-Green-Bay-Packers-DE-Mike-Neal-plans-second-suspension-appeal-admits-to-suffering-from-OCD?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

KYPack
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Scott is a White guy.

He was adopted by Japanese American (Hawaiian, I believe) parents.

Not to open the racial floodgates, er anything.

My name is KYpack and I took 27,000 Tylenol 3's before composing this post.

Fritz
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, I think if you're first name is "Scott" you're already automatically white, anyway.

sharpe1027
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
At the risk of turning this thread back on topic, it looks like the difference is that Neal got his prescription from a non-NFL doc this past year, but the other adderall guy had a prescription coming into the league, and just continued it. Still, Neal is going to try a second appeal.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120605/PKR01/120605114/Notebook-Green-Bay-Packers-DE-Mike-Neal-plans-second-suspension-appeal-admits-to-suffering-from-OCD?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

How dare you!

I can see that as being a relevant distinction.

Fritz
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Maybe they'll reduce the suspension.

smuggler
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
If he has a prescription, he should take it to the courts.

th87
06-09-2012, 11:04 AM

In each instance, they found him with ONE bottle of Purple Drank. Not the absurd 27,000 tablets you imagined. He's an addict, nothing more.

And so you labeling addicts as "degenerate pieces of shit" says more about you.

Smeefers
06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Then why was he charged with intent to distribute? Please, please please please cite something, anything. I can't find a damn thing out there to collaborate what you're saying. I label all dealers as degenerate pieces of shit. And so, you having a problem with that label says more about you.

I didn't say he had 27k tabs, that was a comparisson so that you could visualize how much he was carrying.

th87
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Then why was he charged with intent to distribute? Please, please please please cite something, anything. I can't find a damn thing out there to collaborate what you're saying. I label all dealers as degenerate pieces of shit. And so, you having a problem with that label says more about you.

I didn't say he had 27k tabs, that was a comparisson so that you could visualize how much he was carrying.

Sigh. I see you don't let things like facts get in the way of your judgments.

1. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/51061362.html

Jolly, 26, was charged with possession of a controlled substance on July 8, 2008, after police in his hometown of Houston stopped the car Jolly was driving in the parking lot of a nightclub.

The case had been set for jury selection Friday, with testimony beginning Monday in the 262nd District Court, before prosecutors decided to dismiss the charge on Thursday. They said they wanted to wait until technicians in the Houston Police Department's Crime Lab were trained and accredited on a piece of equipment that measures the level of codeine or other opiates in a liquid.

On the night of the arrest, according to the probable cause affidavit, police found a Dr Pepper bottle in the driver side cup holder of the center console next to two Styrofoam cups containing soda and ice. The officers said the cups and the bottle emitted the strong odor of codeine.

Jolly was charged with possession of a controlled substance, penalty group 4 (200-400 grams), a second-degree felony.

2. http://www.chron.com/default/article/Ex-NFL-player-jailed-in-Harris-on-another-drug-2199555.php

Suspended Green Bay Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly was arrested and charged on Saturday with possessing drugs and tampering with evidence, court records show.

This is the fourth drug possession charge against Jolly, 28, who has been serving an indefinite NFL suspension after a similar charge was dismissed in April.

Jolly was charged with possession of a narcotic compound containing codeine and other substances, a felony. He was also charged with a felony of concealing codeine while he was being investigated on Saturday. He was in the Harris County Jail on Sunday, according to court records.

No intent to distribute. Possession. Just possession. Stated over and over. Of a liquid containing codeine.

And in the spirit of the back and forth, you calling someone a dealer without sound evidence says more about you.

smuggler
06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Repped up for posting masterstroke.

pbmax
06-11-2012, 09:20 AM

The reporting was very confusing, but I think his "Shock" parole speaks to how seriously authorities took the distribution charges. He wouldn't be out if he was known to be dealing. I would bet the prosecutor added the charge because he could and it was used to gain leverage in plea deals and sentencing.

Smeefers
06-12-2012, 08:19 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14858029/jolly-charged-with-drug-possession-intent-to-distribute/rss

"Jolly was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. "

Guiness
06-12-2012, 08:33 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14858029/jolly-charged-with-drug-possession-intent-to-distribute/rss

"Jolly was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. "

Oh, now that you've quoted Sportline, we might as well all throw up our hands :bs:

Smeefers
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Oh, now that you've quoted Sportline, we might as well all throw up our hands :bs:

Fine, here are a couple other sites that say there was an intent to distribute added to the charge because of the amount he had:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-25/johnny-jolly-arrested-on-felony-drug-charges-after-police-find-codeine-in-car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jolly
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nfl-players-arrested-lockout/content.19.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6258595
http://helmet2helmet.net/2011/03/25/packers-johnny-jolly-arrested-for-felony-drug-possession/

pbmax
06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

I am sure the press release stated the street value of the codeine was $2.45 million dollars and that, if convicted, Jolly faced 45 years of jail with no possibility of parole.

You can get a grand jury to charge a ham sandwich, that doesn't make it factual. Prosecutors survive because they make it look like they never lose and that they are always targeting the worst criminals in the public's mind. Neither of those conditions is necessarily true.

pbmax
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Fine, here are a couple other sites that say there was an intent to distribute added to the charge because of the amount he had:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-25/johnny-jolly-arrested-on-felony-drug-charges-after-police-find-codeine-in-car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jolly
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nfl-players-arrested-lockout/content.19.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6258595
http://helmet2helmet.net/2011/03/25/packers-johnny-jolly-arrested-for-felony-drug-possession/

C'mon Smeef, the SI link is a photo gallery.

Smeefers
06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
C'mon Smeef, the SI link is a photo gallery.

Read the quote in the photo gallery.

pbmax
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7246845/green-bay-packers-johnny-jolly-sentenced-6-years-prison

This article confirms he was not convicted or sentenced under a charge of distribution. Had such a charge been supported by evidence, he would have been tried on that charge. And he would not be eligible for parole 6 months later.

pbmax
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Read the quote in the photo gallery.

Its not serious reporting. And no one is denying he was charged with intent to distribute. What I am saying is that the charge was an inflation of the actual crime.

Paraphrasing a criminal charge is not the same as actually reporting he was a dealer or distributing the drug. If I find a picture that labels Ronald McDonald the Queen of England, does that make it true?

Smeefers
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7246845/green-bay-packers-johnny-jolly-sentenced-6-years-prison

This article confirms he was not convicted or sentenced under a charge of distribution. Had such a charge been supported by evidence, he would have been tried on that charge. And he would not be eligible for parole 6 months later.

Thank you. I conceed that he's not a soulless piece of shit drug dealer. He's just a degenerate who threw away millions of dollars for a cheap high.

th87
06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Repped up for posting masterstroke.

Thanks a lot!

th87
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Thank you. I conceed that he's not a soulless piece of shit drug dealer. He's just a degenerate who threw away millions of dollars for a cheap high.

An addict who lost control of his priorities.

Fritz
06-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Its not serious reporting. And no one is denying he was charged with intent to distribute. What I am saying is that the charge was an inflation of the actual crime.

Paraphrasing a criminal charge is not the same as actually reporting he was a dealer or distributing the drug. If I find a picture that labels Ronald McDonald the Queen of England, does that make it true?

I don't know about Queen of England, but I suspect he may be a queen.

MadScientist
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
The intent to distribute charge can often be a ploy to get a guy to plea down to possession. At best they could have said that passing the cup around to other guys in the car constitutes distribution. Even a southern all-white jury would have doubts on that one.

He got tossed in jail because he kept ignoring the fact that he was on probation for drinking that stuff, and getting caught drinking it again. It wasn't the severity of the crime, just the repetition of stupidity that forced the hands of the judge.

MadtownPacker
06-12-2012, 07:56 PM
The intent to distribute charge can often be a ploy to get a guy to plea down to possession. At best they could have said that passing the cup around to other guys in the car constitutes distribution. Even a southern all-white jury would have doubts on that one.

He got tossed in jail because he kept ignoring the fact that he was on probation for drinking that stuff, and getting caught drinking it again. It wasn't the severity of the crime, just the repetition of stupidity that forced the hands of the judge.
Great post MS! Exactly how it went down.

I dont think anyone is saying Jolly didnt fuck up. My issue is that punkass goodell and the system are doing everything in their power to make shit difficult for someone who is hurting himself. Nothing new see it all the time. Proof money aint shit.

Fritz
06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
If it had been a different drug - say, alcohol - would Goodell have been so harsh?

MadtownPacker
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
If it had been a different drug - say, alcohol - would Goodell have been so harsh?

Guessing he would. Wasnt it one of the saints that killed some dude while he was DUI but wasn't charged with manslaughter because the pedestrian was at fault?

Fritz
06-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Well, we now have an answer as to what Goodell would do if it were a different drug, one called marijuana.

The Detroit Lions' Mikel LeShoure was busted - twice - this offseason on pot charges. And the Commish hands down a message-sending....

two game suspension.

So Mike Neal gets four for what appears to be Adderall to help control OCD and which has no apparent body-enhancing properties, and LeShoure gets two games for getting busted twice for pot? WTF??????

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-pot, per se, as you all may know. But it's illegal except in some states for medical purposes. LeShoure had no presecription. Adderall is a prescription drug, for which, as far as we know, Neal had a prescription.

But Neal gets twice the suspension as LeShoure?

Roger Goodell is an idiot.

hoosier
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, we now have an answer as to what Goodell would do if it were a different drug, one called marijuana.

The Detroit Lions' Mikel LeShoure was busted - twice - this offseason on pot charges. And the Commish hands down a message-sending....

two game suspension.

So Mike Neal gets four for what appears to be Adderall to help control OCD and which has no apparent body-enhancing properties, and LeShoure gets two games for getting busted twice for pot? WTF??????

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-pot, per se, as you all may know. But it's illegal except in some states for medical purposes. LeShoure had no presecription. Adderall is a prescription drug, for which, as far as we know, Neal had a prescription.

But Neal gets twice the suspension as LeShoure?

Roger Goodell is an idiot.

I think the difference is that adderall has possible performance enhacing effects, whereas pot does not. Most professional athletic associations include adderall on their lists of banned or restricted substances.

KYPack
06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the difference is that adderall has possible performance enhacing effects, whereas pot does not. Most professional athletic associations include adderall on their lists of banned or restricted substances.

Adderall will get you all revved up. It's flat out speed.

Pro athletes have been using Add and Ritalin for years to get that zipped up feeling some guys crave.

Fritz
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm a little confused, maybe. When I think of "performance enhancing" I'm thinking of HGH, steroids, things that change your body. I get that speed will change the way a player feels and maybe thus change his performance, but not in the way that roids or HGH would. Is that correct?

So I suppose that in a way I can see what you guys are saying. It does make some sense. But it's a screwed up world, nonetheless!

denverYooper
06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm a little confused, maybe. When I think of "performance enhancing" I'm thinking of HGH, steroids, things that change your body. I get that speed will change the way a player feels and maybe thus change his performance, but not in the way that roids or HGH would. Is that correct?

So I suppose that in a way I can see what you guys are saying. It does make some sense. But it's a screwed up world, nonetheless!

You need a little something to take your mind off of things?

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o58/lilshadowsgv/Joint.png

sharpe1027
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM

I just read an article that said he was arrested four times for the same thing. I hadn't realized it was that many times. His suspension makes a lot more sense if it was four separate events.

hoosier
06-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Adderall will get you all revved up. It's flat out speed.

Pro athletes have been using Add and Ritalin for years to get that zipped up feeling some guys crave.

In other words, an anti-Cledius Hunt drug.

Fritz
06-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Almost sounds like Goodell's on a game suspension per arrest schedule.

LeShoure - two busts, two-game suspension.

KYPack
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Almost sounds like Goodell's on a game suspension per arrest schedule.

LeShoure - two busts, two-game suspension.

So it's hit the Weed, lay off the Speed, eh?

Guiness
06-16-2012, 10:46 AM

'speed' comes in many forms, and is definitely a recognized performance enhancer. The olympics have a limit on how much caffeine you can have in your system, and Pseudoephedrine is also on the list.

Neither of these are performance enhancing in the way that roids or HGH are, but they can give you an edge. And if the other guy has an edge, and you want to compete, you have to follow suit, forcing you to take the same thing, even if you don't want to, just to keep up. I always felt that was at least part of the criteria governing bodies used when determining what should be on the list and what shouldn't.