PDA

View Full Version : TWill - will get back to 100%

Fosco33
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
http://chippewa.com/sports/packers-williams-expects-to-be-back-percent/article_3d4d65cc-aeca-11e1-9b0d-0019bb2963f4.html

I don't recall hearing that this injury was that severe. His performance drop was big factor in the defense getting torched.

Why would team docs be inclined to sugarcoat injuries? And why, if they were sugarcoated, would the coaching staff allow him to be a marginal player all year instead of taking a month off?

2 red flags imo

MadScientist
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Sugarcoating injuries is SOP. You can't let the other guy know too much about how to attack you. It is always a tough call on sitting a top player who wants to play. The rest may have helped somewhat, but the nerve would still have been on the slow recovery path. Still, given the results, the defense could not have been much worse without him.

Fritz
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
It appears, in hindsight, that playing the guy hurt helped neither the team nor him.

I guess Davon House was really, really not ready for prime time.

RashanGary
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM

He's one of the players I'm really interested to see play. I've noticed a trend of CB's who have a high combination of broken up passes and interceptions tend to do well in the NFL.

House had a big time College career making plays.

Fritz
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
He's one of the players I'm really interested to see play. I've noticed a trend of CB's who have a high combination of broken up passes and interceptions tend to do well in the NFL.

House had a big time College career making plays.

I liked the Davon House pick, and thought that it was great that he got a redshirt year of sorts. But I heard occasional bits and pieces that maybe he wasn't the hardest worker, or that he was immature in his approach, so I was slightly bothered by that. But now that we find Williams was really hurt for a long time, it concerns me that the coaching staff didn't think House was ready for any action at all when Williams' play was obviously suffering.

Smeefers
06-05-2012, 01:36 PM
It usually takes a couple years for Corners to get up to speed. The Sam Shields effect has everyone figuring that guys should be able to walk off the street and cover NFL WR's. T Will was a practice squad guy and a lot of people called to get rid of him before he turned into a shut down corner. D. Revis, Asumgazuntites, they're the rare ones. It usually takes guys a couple years to be starting caliber. So I'll sit back and wait on the guy. I'm in no rush to see him shuffled out onto the field while we still have Wood available at CB.

Joemailman
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
It appears, in hindsight, that playing the guy hurt helped neither the team nor him.

House missed time in training camp with an injury. That combined with the lost offseason work due to the lockout, he was nowhere near ready to start at CB in the NFL.

pbmax
06-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Why does everyone have nerve damage now? Just like no one can sprain their ankle unless its a dreaded "high" ankle sprain. Has any athlete had a low ankle sprain? If it were hockey, we would say they had a lower body sprain.

Why can't it just be separated or bruised like before? Is this truly a new thing (or more common) or has it always been this way and now the specifics are used to explain the prolonged absence. And don't even get me started on quick healing athletes.

Fritz
06-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Maybe this is a new medical discovery. Or maybe medicine, though we don't like to see it this way, is just as susceptible to trends as fashion or educational approaches.

As for House, I did see that MM singled him out for some praise yesterday. Cool. There was reference to his work in the weight room, and an indirect reference to some maturation as well.

Upnorth
06-08-2012, 10:29 PM
How has our new CB in th ethird round looked, haywood was the name I think?

Lurker64
06-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Why does everyone have nerve damage now? Just like no one can sprain their ankle unless its a dreaded "high" ankle sprain. Has any athlete had a low ankle sprain? If it were hockey, we would say they had a lower body sprain.

Why can't it just be separated or bruised like before? Is this truly a new thing (or more common) or has it always been this way and now the specifics are used to explain the prolonged absence. And don't even get me started on quick healing athletes.

I think it's pretty much always been this way, it's just a matter of a doctor putting a more precise medical diagnosis on something that's pretty commonplace. Like, for example, ever broken an arm or a leg and have it still not feel right for a while, even after the bone has knit and you've got the cast off? That's nerve damage. It's not anything to worry about, since lots of people break arms or legs at some point in their life and are none the worse for it years later. It's just that different things heal at different rates.

Smeefers
06-09-2012, 08:43 AM

I haven't heard much about him, but I have heard Sam Shields and Devon House are tearing it up out there.

Guiness
06-09-2012, 09:10 AM

What about hypobaric chambers? Can we talk about them?

I think diagnosis, recognition, not just by the medical people, but the patients as well. I got some cortizone shots to keep swelling in my elbow down so I could play in a tournament. Just told my doctor it was sore, no problem. I'm sure I had a torn something or other, but never found out.

Guiness
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I haven't heard much about him, but I have heard Sam Shields and Devon House are tearing it up out there.

Nice. Hope Shields gets over his sophomore slump.

Smidgeon
06-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Second rounder, and I read in passing that his coaches are quite happy with his progress and are able to see why he's such a ballhawk.

pbmax
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I think it's pretty much always been this way, it's just a matter of a doctor putting a more precise medical diagnosis on something that's pretty commonplace. Like, for example, ever broken an arm or a leg and have it still not feel right for a while, even after the bone has knit and you've got the cast off? That's nerve damage. It's not anything to worry about, since lots of people break arms or legs at some point in their life and are none the worse for it years later. It's just that different things heal at different rates.

Sliced my thumb cutting a bagel and didn't have correct feeling in thumb for years. Still slightly different than the other thumb. Sometimes I mistake it for my elbow.

Fritz
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I cut off the tops of three fingers in a moment of sheer (and shear) stupidity back in '07. I think I suffered some nerve damage. I can't identify things with the tips of those fingers any more - if my eyes are closed, I can't tell whether I'm touching a dog biscuit or a file.

Lurker64
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Apparently I can't trust any of you guys with sharp objects.

Brandon494
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
If Hawk doesn't miss his tackle Tramon never injuries his shoulder :satan:

pbmax
06-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Did Hawk also miss a tackle on the Nick Collins injury play?

MadtownPacker
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
That's what I'm talking about! If Hawk was Black he would have been fast enough to make the tackle.

MadtownPacker
06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Sliced my thumb cutting a bagel and didn't have correct feeling in thumb for years. Still slightly different than the other thumb. Sometimes I mistake it for my elbow.

I cut off the tops of three fingers in a moment of sheer (and shear) stupidity back in '07. I think I suffered some nerve damage. I can't identify things with the tips of those fingers any more - if my eyes are closed, I can't tell whether I'm touching a dog biscuit or a file.A White forklift driver ran into me (it was hella loud and everyone wore earplugs) and knocked me into a stack of stainless steel sheet metal. I caught myself but on one hand I got the edge of a sheet and it sliced the bottom of my palm open. For a year it felt like a dead piece of meat on my hand.

hoosier
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
What's a white forklift? I thought they were all yellow.

Joemailman
06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Did Hawk also miss a tackle on the Nick Collins injury play?

Typical. White guy getting blamed for the black man's misfortune.

Fosco33
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Hawk was involved - I'd put more ownership on Chuck's poor angle and missed tackle. Hawk had a blocker to deal with before falling down.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d82257183/Collins-suffers-neck-injury

Upnorth
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Hawk was involved - I'd put more ownership on Chuck's poor angle and missed tackle. Hawk had a blocker to deal with before falling down.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d82257183/Collins-suffers-neck-injury

I had forgotten how innocent that hit looked at first. I remember thinking he would be back up.