PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Stanely Cup

Upnorth
06-06-2012, 10:12 PM
So there is no forum area for hockey, so looks like I am putting this in the football area, sorry.

So the devils avoid the sweep in the stanley cup finals. Does anyone think they can comeback and win after being down 3-0? Normally I would say no way in hell, but with Broduer in net it is possible.
Any puckheads out there? (I assume this will be a canadian dominated thread)

MadtownPacker
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Do Canadians call it something like football or futbol?

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm actually a bigger college hockey fan than NHL fan, so I mostly root for guys that went to North Dakota. The Devils have Parise (the captain) and Zajac from UND. However, the Kings have been my favorite NHL team since the Marcel Dionne and ugly crown uni days, so I'm rooting for them. And their assistant captain is from UND (Matt Greene). I don't think I've seen a team have a better run in the playoffs than the Kings are on. Their defense and goaltending is ridiculous. I'd say there's little to no chance the Devils come back and win this.

digitaldean
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
I am rooting for LA. They are tough enough and gritty enough to win on the road. Amazing their road winning streak in the playoffs. Now they can win the Cup on the road in NJ...

Guiness
06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm actually a bigger college hockey fan than NHL fan, so I mostly root for guys that went to North Dakota. The Devils have Parise (the captain) and Zajac from UND. However, the Kings have been my favorite NHL team since the Marcel Dionne and ugly crown uni days, so I'm rooting for them. And their assistant captain is from UND (Matt Greene). I don't think I've seen a team have a better run in the playoffs than the Kings are on. Their defense and goaltending is ridiculous. I'd say there's little to no chance the Devils come back and win this.

The triple crown line! Dionne with Taylor and Simmer I think? First forward line in which all three players scored 100 points! They gave my Oilers some grief for a few years.

Haven't watched much hockey this year, but looks like LA's had a hell of a run. What were they doing at 8th in the conference?

Upnorth
06-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Mad, up here we call hockey religion.
I would love to see NJ come back and win it just for the story, but I seriously doubt they make it past game five.
As a habs fan I have had no strong reason to pay a lot of attention to the gaem this year, but playoffs are always exciting.

woodbuck27
06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I would love to see NJ come back and win it just for the story, but I seriously doubt they make it past game five.
As a habs fan I have had no strong reason to pay a lot of attention to the gaem this year, but playoffs are always exciting.

Ahh poor you. I'm a Habs fan too. I've a Special File for internet news on Les Habitants. I call it:

HABS SUCK !

The managment chose former HAB HC Michael Therrien as their next HC ...over Patrick Roy and Marc Crawford. Did you like that decision?

Here's a comment from 'KILLER' on that:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/07/michel-therrien-did-a-great-job-in-first-stint-as-canadiens-coach-doug-gilmour/

Les Canadiens have the third pick in the Draft. Who do you like?

For any team to go all the way in the Stanley Cup playoffs that team must be solid in goal. It's now 3-1 KINGS over 'the Devils'. One of the very best ALL TIME Brodeur Vs Quick. I cannot count out Brodeur if the Devils win game five....but ....

If I had to bet it looks like the Devils do NOT come back.

Guiness
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM

A habs fan. From Saskatchewan? Where you can watch your dog run away for three days? I guess I shouldn't talk, being an Oilers fan from Northern Ontario!~

woodbuck27
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
A habs fan. From Saskatchewan? Where you can watch your dog run away for three days? I guess I shouldn't talk, being an Oilers fan from Northern Ontario!~

Yes and that dogs moving fast.

I discovered this that is a wee bit of a challenge even for 'a Canuck':

Coming to Saskatchewan, American Man? Then you had better Know the language

Puddinhead from Idaho... learned a few new sayings while he was up here,

"I learned about Bow wows, bush chickens, speed goats, Rotton Ronalds, and so many other just fantastic sayings."

If you Americans can translate the Saskatchewan sayings in the following paragraph you'll be able to join in most barroom conversations.

"A farmer was telling me that he was coming back from 'the Pool' and just about hit a couple of jumpers on the grid by the correction line. He couldn't see them, cause a bunch of rig pigs were on the shoulder eating K-Fry and drinking a 2-4 of pil."

Well most Canadians will interpret that accurately. Even if you don't drink 'that swill'.

Upnorth
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM

"I learned about Bow wows, bush chickens, speed goats, Rotton Ronalds, and so many other just fantastic sayings."

If you Americans can translate the Saskatchewan sayings in the following paragraph you'll be able to join in most barroom conversations.

"A farmer was telling me that he was coming back from 'the Pool' and just about hit a couple of jumpers on the grid by the correction line. He couldn't see them, cause a bunch of rig pigs were on the shoulder eating K-Fry and drinking a 2-4 of pil."

Well most Canadians will interpret that accurately. Even if you don't drink 'that swill'.

If you would have ended it with "go Riders" that was the same conversation I had with a client just yesterday!!!

And Guiness, my brother was a huge oilers fan, so much so that I do not like anything Gretsky, and had trouble cheering for them in 2007 during the cup run.

Harvey, where in North Dakota are you? I get right next to the ND/SK border quite iften with my oilfield clients.

Guiness
06-07-2012, 05:02 PM

I'm a rig pig. Have been on and off for about 10 years!

Upnorth
06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm a rig pig. Have been on and off for about 10 years!

where in germany do they have oil fields? or are you in the baltic sea?

gbgary
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I am rooting for LA. They are tough enough and gritty enough to win on the road. Amazing their road winning streak in the playoffs. Now they can win the Cup on the road in NJ...

me too. i'm a Bruins fan...so i'm a nj hater (along with several others). kings winning upsets the nhl apple cart so i'm liking this.

Upnorth
06-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Either team winning is all right by me, but I kinda hope it goes to game 7. Two big metro areas in a game 7, the ratings might almost be as high as a cooking show rerun.
Why is it most americans don't care about hockey? Its fast action with high intensity. Who doesn't like that?

Guiness
06-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Either team winning is all right by me, but I kinda hope it goes to game 7. Two big metro areas in a game 7, the ratings might almost be as high as a cooking show rerun.
Why is it most americans don't care about hockey? Its fast action with high intensity. Who doesn't like that?

They all (well, all that aren't from Minnesota) whine about not being able to see the little black puck. Attention deficit disorder, if they lose track of it for a second or two, they change the channel!

Plus, as Eddie Murphy pointed out, black guys are not interested in anything that involves white guys with masks and sticks :flm:

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Plenty of people in the USA love hockey, but it's hard for people living in warmer climates to relate to it. But there are places in the USA (Minnesota, North Dakota, greater Michigan, Massachusetts) where hockey is extremely popular. Surfing is probably a lot of fun to watch, but most of us can't relate to surfing. :)

pbmax
06-09-2012, 04:45 PM
They all (well, all that aren't from Minnesota) whine about not being able to see the little black puck. Attention deficit disorder, if they lose track of it for a second or two, they change the channel!

Plus, as Eddie Murphy pointed out, black guys are not interested in anything that involves white guys with masks and sticks :flm:

Speaking of which, while some of Fox's innovations were downright annoying, like the vapor trail, the glow puck was fantastic. It let you follow the puck along the near boards where you normally can't see what is happening except for watching where their heads are turned. HD is great, but it would be better with the glow puck.

Badgers and Flyers fan. Harv and the Fighting Sue can get stuffed and so can the Devils.

Long live Tim Kerr and Paul Ranheim.

Upnorth
06-10-2012, 09:05 AM
So game 6 in LA. One more win to set up a great game seven. I hope NJ wins tomorrow so it can happen. For one game only go Devils.

Guiness
06-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Seriously PB? That black puck on the white ice was too hard to follow? :butt:

Patler
06-11-2012, 06:34 AM
I hated the glow puck. The action tells you where the puck is, even if you can't see it. It is no more difficult to see than a baseball is at times. The difference is that most Americans understand baseball enough that if they lose sight of the ball it doesn't bother them, because they still understand what is going on and can quickly pick it up again. Most Americans don't understand hockey, so they panic if they can't see the puck.

Joemailman
06-11-2012, 06:44 AM
I hated the glow puck. The action tells you where the puck is, even if you can't see it. It is no more difficult to see than a baseball is at times. The difference is that most Americans understand baseball enough that if they lose sight of the ball it doesn't bother them, because they still understand what is going on and can quickly pick it up again. Most Americans don't understand hockey, so they panic if they can't see the puck.

I was a Chicago Blackhawks season ticket holder for several years in the mid-late 1980's. Going to that many games made it much easier to watch games on tv. You just get a sense of where the puck is based on the way players are reacting. I also think the flat screen high-def tv's have made hockey viewing a lot better than it used to be.

pbmax
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM

I know where the puck is by the action, but not being able to see it is distracting. Not paradigm-shifting or rage inducing, but distracting. And its far more difficult to see than a baseball. There are cases in each ballpark where a baseball cannot be seen (some foul territories and teams that grow ivy on the outfield wall) but in the normal course of game play, its not obscured by a wall running the length of the field.

For the puck, its only a real problem on the near boards, where the puck is obscured by the wall (why they don't switch to an opposite field view is beyond me) and in the crease.

And the ice is clear, not white, which of course leaves room for ads. And those ads aren't white.

The glow puck or clear boards would help. Or a director with enough stones to show opposite rinkside cameras when the puck is being mucked around the near boards at the blue line by four players.

Patler
06-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I know where the puck is by the action, but not being able to see it is distracting. Not paradigm-shifting or rage inducing, but distracting. And its far more difficult to see than a baseball. There are cases in each ballpark where a baseball cannot be seen (some foul territories and teams that grow ivy on the outfield wall) but in the normal course of game play, its not obscured by a wall running the length of the field.

For the puck, its only a real problem on the near boards, where the puck is obscured by the wall (why they don't switch to an opposite field view is beyond me) and in the crease.

And the ice is clear, not white, which of course leaves room for ads. And those ads aren't white.

The glow puck or clear boards would help. Or a director with enough stones to show opposite rinkside cameras when the puck is being mucked around the near boards at the blue line by four players.

I hate clear boards too, at the few rinks I have seen them. It really doesn't help seeing the puck that well anyway.

In most rinks the ice is not clear, either; because as it ages it cracks, and resurfacing tends to layer the ice rather than reform it. That's why it becomes mostly a milky color, and the bright ads become muted as the season wears on. Not necessarily a problem for NHL and many NCAA rinks, where the ice is often taken out and put back in frequently, and only hot deionized water is used for resurfacing. But the ice is always put in over a colored background, usually white rink paper or paint. Some have on occasion used colored backgrounds. (I have helped put in and paint many ice sheets over the years.)

As for using opposite side views, that was tried briefly, too; at about the same time as the glow puck. As quickly as the puck changes sides, switching views was more distracting than helpful, confusing even the most knowledgeable as to which team was going which way. It had a very short trial.

I can't ever remember even the slightest concern or distraction about not seeing the puck. The general indication of the glow puck was no more informative than what I knew anyway, that the puck was along the boards, or in the crease. Besides, the glow puck was often a bit behind the actual location anyway. I was thankful when that experiment ended.

Cheesehead Craig
06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I think it was the WSJ who said this weekend was the worst sports weekend of the year.

The Pacquio fight controversy
I'll Have Another being scratched from the Belmont
The NHL Playoffs still going on

Guiness
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Um, what's up with this post? I didn't make it.

Upnorth
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
So Kings in 6. Looks like some happy NJ haters on this forum. Also good to see a new young team in a major center get a cup. If San JOse can develop a rivalry with them, maybe rating in the area will go up.

Also Based off your post above Guiness, you should get that concussion looked into.

MadtownPacker
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
So Kings in 6. Looks like some happy NJ haters on this forum. Also good to see a new young team in a major center get a cup. If San JOse can develop a rivalry with them, maybe rating in the area will go up.

Also Based off your post above Guiness, you should get that concussion looked into.No one except maybe people in LA and San Jose care about hockey in Cali.

pbmax
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
No one except maybe people in LA and San Jose care about hockey in Cali.

Isn't the old joke that 5 million Canadians have moved to California to get away from hockey?

Guiness
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Also Based off your post above Guiness, you should get that concussion looked into.

Ha ha. Thanks, lol

Turns out the post was somewhat legit. Someone at my house decided to take out her frustration over being a Canadians fan by poking fun at pb!

Cheesehead Craig
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
About time that hockey mecca that is LA got a title.