PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Release Aaron Kampman

Joemailman
06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jaguars-release-Kampman.html

Probably the end of the line (due to injuries) for a great former Packer and a great guy.

Patler
06-07-2012, 10:36 PM
He has played only 11 games since leaving the Packers.

Kiwon
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I can't remember. Was he signed as a FA by the Jags? Was his last contract with the Pack the biggest he ever received?

billy_oliver880
06-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I can't remember. Was he signed as a FA by the Jags? Was his last contract with the Pack the biggest he ever received?

He signed in 2010 with the Jags for 4 years 25 million.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I will always treasure Aaron Kampman because his failure in the 3-4 left egg on the face of certain know-it-alls that I have far too much class to name.

KYPack
06-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I will always treasure Aaron Kampman because his failure in the 3-4 left egg on the face of certain know-it-alls that I have far too much class to name.

If that's the case, ya might as well go ahead and name the poster, Harlan.

Smeefers
06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I loved Kamp. I wish him the best. Maybe he could sign on with the Bills, they're looking to be on the up and up.

RashanGary
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Was I one? :)

He was a hell-of-a DE for about 5 years. Top 5 in the NFL for that span IMO. He wasn't just a pass rusher. He was a complete player. I wouldn't complain for a second if he was in the Packer HOF.

smuggler
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Kamp was reasonable as an OLB, but not much more than above average. He was definitely more valuable in a 4-3

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Was I one? :)

These are distinguished members of the community. Upright church-goers. Packer People.

sharpe1027
06-08-2012, 10:09 AM

I seem to remember that much of the discussion centered around certain posters that seemed nearly certain he would fail miserably and other posters responding with reasons why he might be successful at OLB. I don't remember if there was anyone that was much more than cautiously optimistic about his new roll. It could be that I am wrong, that was sometime ago now.

Anyway, the guy gave the Packers his best years and they were pretty damn good years. I wish him the best.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I seem to remember that much of the discussion centered around certain posters that seemed nearly certain he would fail miserably and other posters responding with reasons why he might be successful at OLB.
Gosh, I seem to remember it differently. I remember certain posters that seemed nearly certain he would be spectacularly successful and other posters responding with reasons why he might fail at OLB.

:lol:

Guiness
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Just 11 games over 2 years, eh? Add in the games missed at the end of 2009 and he hasn't seen regular play in a while. It does sound like he's breaking down. Might be time for him to call it a career. He certainly didn't burn any bridges on the way out, I expect he'll retire a Packer if he chooses to. He and KGB were a couple of guys who played real well for a few years, and I think we even got a higher draft pick back then we used to get him!

Guiness
06-08-2012, 10:16 AM

Trying to figure out why you're trolling that way. *shrug*

sharpe1027
06-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Gosh, I seem to remember it differently. I remember certain posters that seemed nearly certain he would be spectacularly successful and other posters responding with reasons why he might fail at OLB.

:lol:

Perhaps you are correct. But that's not at all the take I get after reading this thread: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?17294-Can-Kampman-handle-the-switch-to-OLB&highlight=aaron+kampman+olb

For example, you stated: "Kampman will not be as effective standing up as he is on the line. (I know he will continue to play end a lot in the new scheme.)"

I responded:

"Probably true, but we won't know for sure until we see the product on the field. A good scheme/coach can really help a player's production."

I don't call that egg on my face, nor do I see it for other posters in that thread. Perhaps you should troll on a different subject?

denverYooper
06-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Quod erat demonstrandum.

swede
06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Quod erat demonstrandum.

An anagram for: run mad demon quoted rats?

RashanGary
06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
These are distinguished members of the community. Upright church-goers. Packer People.

I've started to go to church, but certainly, based on my history, I'm no where near this type of person :)

But I am a cocky no-it-all from time to time, especially in the past, and somewhat today. Can't help it. If I see a spade, I call a spade, and I trust my vision. Me me me :)

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Trying to figure out why you're trolling that way. *shrug*

It's a joke. *shrug* *eye roll*

Although there probably are a couple people clenching their fists and squirming in their chairs.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't call that egg on my face, nor do I see it for other posters in that thread. Perhaps you should troll on a different subject?

OK, you win!

There were mountains of discussions on Aaron Kampman. I really wasn't expecting a battle of quotes to prove who was right or wrong, who cares? BTW, I am not impressed by hedged, qualified predictions. I respect somebody who makes a choice and dares to be wrong. Justin Harrell adopting the name "Justin HArrell" comes to mind.

sharpe1027
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
OK, you win!

There were mountains of discussions on Aaron Kampman. I really wasn't expecting a battle of quotes to prove who was right or wrong, who cares? BTW, I am not impressed by hedged, qualified predictions. I respect somebody who makes a choice and dares to be wrong. Justin Harrell adopting the name "Justin HArrell" comes to mind.

No big deal. There were probably also discussions that supported your recall. As for hedge/qualifying your predictions, you can make a prediction while still recognizing that it is not the only possibility. It seems rather silly to simply ignore the possibility that you might be wrong. No need to get into a game of I'm right - your wrong.

pbmax
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
He was far too stubborn about the move. I can understand why, because it was the year before his big payday, but he could have been much more at the position.

It was the only time Kampman acted in a manner not befitting his persona. Of course, his worst act was essentially being silent until training camp, so there is that.

There is no way to be sure, as injuries occur to OLBs and DEs alike, but I think he could have been pretty good at it. Instead, he went to Jacksonville and played for a terrible team in front of covered seats.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Maybe Kampman was an overachiever who found a niche where he could excel. Great athletes can succeed at many roles.

pbmax
06-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Did Kampman miss any time in OTAs or minicamps that year?

sharpe1027
06-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe Kampman was an overachiever who found a niche where he could excel. Great athletes can succeed at many roles.

Interestingly enough, he was a starting caliber LBer in college (103 tackles/2nd on the team) and then was able to successfully switch to DE and we all know how did in that role.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2012, 11:01 AM
He was far too stubborn about the move. I can understand why, because it was the year before his big payday, but he could have been much more at the position .
Who is being stubborn here?
He tried outside linebacker, didn't feel comfortable there. Maybe he knows his own skills and limitations.

sharpe1027, college is different than pros. What we know for sure is that Kampman excelled at DE in pros.

sharpe1027
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM
sharpe1027, college is different than pros. What we know for sure is that Kampman excelled at DE in pros.

He excelled at LBer in college, which shows he had more versatility than many DEs. The overachiever tag he got never seemed justified to me. He wasn't some scrub with no athletic ability.

If you compare him to our OLB starters (opposite Clay) the last couple of years, Kampman was better at some things and worse at others. He was not that good, but he also was not a complete and utter failure.

There were signs of a decline before he tried the switch to OLBer and he didn't do much of anything at DE after he left the Packers. There is a legitimate question as to whether or not he would have still be able to excel at DE even had they not switched to a 3-4.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2012, 02:23 PM
sharpe, you started-out arguing how open-minded and uncertain your views were on Kampman's prospects in 3-4.

Now, after the experiment failed, you dig-in your heels and insist you were right.

In the words of forensics expert Henry Lee in O.J. trial, "Something wrong here."

sharpe1027
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
sharpe, you started-out arguing how open-minded and uncertain your views were on Kampman's prospects in 3-4.

Now, after the experiment failed, you dig-in your heels and insist you were right.

In the words of forensics expert Henry Lee in O.J. trial, "Something wrong here."

Sorry HH, I just don't think that is case. Exactly what am I insisting that I was right about? I was unsure how he would do before he ever played a snap in the 3-4. Are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to comment on how he actually played just because I wasn't ready to label him a failure before he ever played a snap? I have to respectfully disagree with your take on this.

It may be that you are misreading any disagreement with what you said as "insisting" I was "right" (and you were wrong). I'm not trying to be that "right" vs. "wrong" confrontational, I just don't agree 100% with a few of your points. No need to get defensive.

smuggler
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

But the experiment didn't "fail," it just didn't thrive. It was above average. He had 4 sacks in 10 games as an OLB in the 3-4. That's about, what, 7 in a full season? Go look at Terrell Suggs years in-and-out. Go look at Matthews last year. You are pointing to one number to call him a failure, which is just boneheaded. GREAT OLBs have years with a lower sack rate than Kampman in his one year as an OLB.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually, I don't remember that much about the Aaron Kampman transition. But I do recall he didn't take to the 3-4, was willing to leave the Packers because of it. I'm reluctant to blame a player, or second guess his judgement, particularly an established veteran.

sharpe1027
06-11-2012, 05:11 PM
There is no need to blame Kampman. He played hard and generate QB pressure even though he wanted nothing to do with the switch. Nobody disputes that he was better as a 4-3 DE, but once they went 3-4 OLB was the best spot for him and he was still the best option at the time.

pbmax
06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Who is being stubborn here?
He tried outside linebacker, didn't feel comfortable there. Maybe he knows his own skills and limitations.
I would say his silence to the media that entire offseason, which included blowing off one and possibly two (I think) team arranged media availabilities during OTAs/practice/camp indicated his reluctance. Its a bit of a reach, but I think subsequent events bear out this theory. Someone who is convinced something is a bad idea (or temporary) is not going to excel.

And I am sure he was uncomfortable. What I wish is that he gave it more of a chance. I don't blame him for choosing to play for a 4-3 team, but I think it was an opportunity lost.

Smeefers
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
He was a pro bowl/all pro DE. He was an average OLB. I have no idea why he wanted to go to go back to a 4-3 system.