PDA

View Full Version : James Jones on the trade block

Brando19
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
By Ryan Van Bibber

Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones is said to be on the trading block. Which teams could be interested in an extra set of hands?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/6/13/3083476/james-jones-trade-rumors-packers

Fosco33
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. Say we get DD for a year - Jones could then be #3 guy. If Borel/Gurley are the next chapter - this would work out - especially if we got a position of need or a high draft choice.

Since we're playing Houston this year - last thing we need is a shitty trade, some freak injury to Greg/Jordy and watch Jones actually catch a pass to beat us...

hoosier
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
I see Jones right now as vying with Driver for 4 and 5, with Jennings, Nelson and Cobb ahead of them (Cobb on potential alone). So if Driver suddenly can't go any longer, you're still only talking about trading your fourth WR, and the dropoff between Jones and Borley might not be all that significant. I wouldn't give Jones away but if someone's offering something substantial (a third?) I would consider it. Or maybe a player-for-player trade: are there any positions you would take an average starter at in trade for James Jones?

Brandon494
06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
If true that means they really like what they see from Gurley and Borel. I don't see us getting anything but a 4th or 5th for him though, I'd rather just keep him.

pittstang5
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
I've said this before when all the Cut/trade/get rid of Driver stuff came out. Trade Jones. Problem is, what's he worth? To some teams, he could be their # 2 receiver. However, no one showed any interest when he was a FA last year and he didn't winning any bowling trophies for his performance this past year. I'm guessing he's probably only worth a 6th and I would be quite happy with a 5th rounder. Player for player might be better. If we're talking Texans, I don't know who though. They have any decent RBs behind Foster they'd give up? (Pure speculation).

hoosier
06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, Ben Tate, straight up. :-)

Brandon494
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Ben Tate, straight up. :-)

shit I'd even throw in a 2nd round pick.

SkinBasket
06-13-2012, 07:50 PM
JAMES JONES!!!

That guy's got a great smile!

pbmax
06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Texans are receiver poor. But this isn't likely coming from the Packers side.

MJZiggy
06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
You guys did notice the word COULD in the lead of the original post right? This is nothing but speculation at this point. Arrigo probably wrote it.

hoosier
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
You guys did notice the word COULD in the lead of the original post right? This is nothing but speculation at this point. Arrigo probably wrote it.

That's something that might be worth pointing out if it were August or September. In mid June it's just called being a buzz kill. :-)

MJZiggy
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
That's something that might be worth pointing out if it were August or September. In mid June it's just called being a buzz kill. :-):lol:

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Sounds like pure speculation to me.

Bretsky
06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
If this is true it's very clear that Ted Thompson does read PR; I was calling for this before the draft occured

Joemailman
06-13-2012, 09:17 PM
If it happens (about a 10% chance), it will happen on the final cutdown day. TT won't make a move like this unless Gurley or Borel play lights out in the preseason.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
It would be very dumb to trade him. You are never so loaded at a position that you should trade away a good player for crap. And thats what we would get for Jones, crap. One injury and we would wish we never traded him. If it wasn't for us being loaded at Wr's we would have completely sucked last year. I hope this is just bs.

Bretsky
06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Being a Finley Fan, I see James Jones as about our 5th or 6th option right now. Very expendable IMO

pbmax
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Its not Arrigo. The guy from the Houston Chronicle is legit and the SBNation article in the OP is built of his reporting. Its still a rumor from a League source, but its not from someone like the plagiarist Arrigo.

Upnorth
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Being a Finley Fan, I see James Jones as about our 5th or 6th option right now. Very expendable IMO

Unless Finley and Jones run the same routes I don't see how one makes the other replaceable. I always think of receivers in terms of complementing one another.
If we trade Jones we need quality in return IMO, unless Borely and Gurley can really step up and take over Jones job.

Bretsky
06-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Unless Finley and Jones run the same routes I don't see how one makes the other replaceable. I always think of receivers in terms of complementing one another.
If we trade Jones we need quality in return IMO, unless Borely and Gurley can really step up and take over Jones job.

We have Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb.....all IMO who will be better than JJ soon if not already
If we think Gurley or Borrell has similau upside as JJ we don't lose much. Donald Driver is a very solid 3/4 for this year. I am assuming Cobb develops some of course.

We probably won't get a lot of quality in return because I don't think many think JJ is that good. So I'd agree we end up keeping him.

But what if TT thinks Gurley and/or the ex QB turned WR will be better than Jones ?

Fritz
06-14-2012, 06:50 AM
So let's play this game...instead of getting, say, a fourth or fifth for Jones - the most likely picks you'd receive - which player on the Houston roster do you think is A) of equivalent value (that is, no "trade James Jones for Brooks Reed!" B.S., B) someone that might be seen as expendable by Houston, and C) fits a need for the Pack.

Oh, and no fair throwing in a second rounder for Ben Tate. Or a third or fourth. The highest "throw in" you're allowed is a fifth. I say that because I think many teams - and most especially Ted - covet their thirds and fourths.

So the highest you can go is James Jones plus a fifth round pick, in exchange for ____________ ??

Pugger
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
If Jones didn't garner any interest as a FA what team us gonna want to give up a draft pick for him now? Talk about creating rumors so you have something to write about...

Upnorth
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
We have Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb.....all IMO who will be better than JJ soon if not already
If we think Gurley or Borrell has similau upside as JJ we don't lose much. Donald Driver is a very solid 3/4 for this year. I am assuming Cobb develops some of course.

We probably won't get a lot of quality in return because I don't think many think JJ is that good. So I'd agree we end up keeping him.

But what if TT thinks Gurley and/or the ex QB turned WR will be better than Jones ?

My problem is not the 2012 season, as we still have firepower. My problem is past 2012. Unless borley and Gurrel step up our well stocked cupboard is down to average. Why be average?

Zool
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Does Houston have any O-line or D-line depth they'd be willing to give up? I guess I'd give up our 4/5 WR for a backup C who's better than EDS or Sampson. Maybe a wide body to replace Green?

pbmax
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Does Houston have any O-line or D-line depth they'd be willing to give up? I guess I'd give up our 4/5 WR for a backup C who's better than EDS or Sampson. Maybe a wide body to replace Green?

Houston has plenty of people on D, but not sure who they might give up. O line depth was a concern for them at one point last season due to injuries, not sure status now.

Tony Oday
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
We could get a nice set of pads for Jones...

Lurker64
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
If they trade him, it will almost certainly be for a player at roster cutdown time. Find a WR-poor team with an excess of talent at a position that GB is weak at, and swap expendable players.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he's flipped for a running back, of all things.

Bretsky
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
So let's play this game...instead of getting, say, a fourth or fifth for Jones - the most likely picks you'd receive - which player on the Houston roster do you think is A) of equivalent value (that is, no "trade James Jones for Brooks Reed!" B.S., B) someone that might be seen as expendable by Houston, and C) fits a need for the Pack.

Oh, and no fair throwing in a second rounder for Ben Tate. Or a third or fourth. The highest "throw in" you're allowed is a fifth. I say that because I think many teams - and most especially Ted - covet their thirds and fourths.

So the highest you can go is James Jones plus a fifth round pick, in exchange for ____________ ??

Can we trade our FIRST RD PICK we drafted over Brooks Reed AND James Jones for Brooks Reed ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Bretsky
06-14-2012, 09:08 PM
My problem is not the 2012 season, as we still have firepower. My problem is past 2012. Unless borley and Gurrel step up our well stocked cupboard is down to average. Why be average?

Clearly you like JJ far more than I; I doin't think he's much of a loss.

ANY receiving combo led by Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, and Jermichael will not be average IMO

Joemailman
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Clearly you like JJ far more than I; I doin't think he's much of a loss.

ANY receiving combo led by Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, and Jermichael will not be average IMO

Yeah, if there's one thing TT does better than anyone else, it's finding WR's. He drafts one in the 2nd round about every other year, so he's due next year.

Joemailman
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Can we trade our FIRST RD PICK we drafted over Brooks Reed AND James Jones for Brooks Reed ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Why would you trade a future Pro Bowl LT and James Jones for Brooks Reed? :pack:

Lurker64
06-14-2012, 10:23 PM

Why are you trading our LT of the future for a guy to back up Nick Perry?

Fritz
06-15-2012, 08:04 AM
The idea mentioned above is intriguing...if Houston has a plethora of wide bodies, how about a decent nose tackle in exchange for JJ? Someone who could eat up some snaps every game?

But I'm not necessarily in favor of trading Jones, actually. It's just the offseason, and the slow time at that...

Tony Oday
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
JJ is a decent WR but not elite. partial starter for partial starter

Deputy Nutz
06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Anyone that gives a damn, look up the stats for James Jones last season when Jennings went down with an injury. I don't remember him being really productive where I actually remembered how well he played. The guy plays in an offense that spreads the field and has a qb that can pick the best match up 8 out of 10 times. Jones is not special enough to be given a roster spot. I agree that no one will be traded until the end of training camp when players have proved themselves and there are holes on other teams' rosters. Basically Driver is a lock unless he gets hurt, Cobb is a lock, Jordy is a lock, and Jennings are a lock. Jones, Borel, Gurley, and Smith are all going to be final decisions or trade bait.

When the Packers have five receivers on the field in most packages #88 is staying on the field. so the Packer will keep 5 receivers, but not 6 unless the 6th is a monster on special teams.

Patler
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone that gives a damn, look up the stats for James Jones last season when Jennings went down with an injury. I don't remember him being really productive where I actually remembered how well he played.

10/139 in the last two games against Chicago and Detroit. 2 TDs against the Bears.

I suspect he is better than many (most?) teams' 3rd receivers, perhaps a fair number of teams 2nd receivers. Yes, he drops too many balls, but he also makes a lot of tough catches. In that way, he is a frustrating player. If Nelson or Jennings goes down for an extended time, we will be glad we have him.

Why would teams trade for him now when they did not sign him last year? Last year was a bad year to be a free agent, but more importantly he has two years remaining on his existing contract at a very, very affordable cost. Had teams realized he could be signed that cheaply, they probably would have. Not unlike the Packers and Jenkins. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Patler
06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
When the Packers have five receivers on the field in most packages #88 is staying on the field. so the Packer will keep 5 receivers, but not 6 unless the 6th is a monster on special teams.

When they kept 3 FBs, the third one didn't play ST's, couldn't catch and was very inconsistent as a blocker. He was kept strictly on potential at a position where there are never 2 on the field, and often not even 1. The 5 TE's last year? Beyond Finley it was a little of this, a little of that.

I think they should keep 6 WR's if one of the young ones is truly worthy. It is doubtful Quarless will be ready to start the season, so that will likely free a spot from last year's distribution of WR/TE types anyway. At Driver's age, many players have injury after injury, and Driver has shown a little vulnerability in that area the last few years. Cobb will be returning kicks and punts, and runs without consideration for his own health. At his size, injuries can be a problem. Finley has shown vulnerability since coming into the league. For as much as the Packers want 4 and 5 receivers on the field, 4 TEs, 6 WRs would make some sense.

pbmax
06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
When they kept 3 FBs, the third one didn't play ST's, couldn't catch and was very inconsistent as a blocker. He was kept strictly on potential at a position where there are never 2 on the field, and often not even 1. The 5 TE's last year? Beyond Finley it was a little of this, a little of that.

I think they should keep 6 WR's if one of the young ones is truly worthy. It is doubtful Quarless will be ready to start the season, so that will likely free a spot from last year's distribution of WR/TE types anyway. At Driver's age, many players have injury after injury, and Driver has shown a little vulnerability in that area the last few years. Cobb will be returning kicks and punts, and runs without consideration for his own health. At his size, injuries can be a problem. Finley has shown vulnerability since coming into the league. For as much as the Packers want 4 and 5 receivers on the field, 4 TEs, 6 WRs would make some sense.

The more I think about it, 6 seems like a very likely outcome. Its not a lock any team will even offer Jones' original draft round as compensation for a trade, unless a team is hobbled at WR in camp.

Jones would be invaluable if Jennings or Nelson got hurt. But I do think Nutz has it right that ST ability will be the test for the 6th spot. They might all fail out, but if one is to stick as #6, they have to be able to play teams. Unlike Q Johnson at FB, the WR position doesn't have two players who regularly play ST. Cobb is it. That doesn't guarantee it, but it would make the roster work better. I think Nelson's future on ST is like Woodson's, only in emergency and only for ball handling.

Patler
06-16-2012, 11:29 AM
The more I think about it, 6 seems like a very likely outcome. Its not a lock any team will even offer Jones' original draft round as compensation for a trade, unless a team is hobbled at WR in camp.

Jones would be invaluable if Jennings or Nelson got hurt. But I do think Nutz has it right that ST ability will be the test for the 6th spot. They might all fail out, but if one is to stick as #6, they have to be able to play teams. Unlike Q Johnson at FB, the WR position doesn't have two players who regularly play ST. Cobb is it. That doesn't guarantee it, but it would make the roster work better. I think Nelson's future on ST is like Woodson's, only in emergency and only for ball handling.

I think there is an extra slot available for the #6 WR even if he doesn't regularly contribute on ST, for several reasons. Obviously, it will be better for him if he plays STs; however,
- GB will again have a boatlaod of LB's, and all the backups will play ST's.
- They are likely to have 2 or 3 ST players from the TE spot.
- It looks like a few of the new DBs will be ST-types.
- Most significantly, the 6th WR will most often be a game day inactive, so his ST contributions will mean little anyway. It will only become a factor if other ST players get hurt.

There are always 1 or 2 throw-away positions on a 53 man roster, at least to start the season. So you can keep a second punter, a Breno Giacomini or other O-lineman who won't be ready to play regardless (as a rookie), etc. No reason it can't be used for a backup WR kept strictly for depth at a critical position for the Packer offense. ST play is not important for those spots, since they will rarely be active anyway.

Brandon494
06-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I think it's a no brainer to keep six WRs, especially with Quarless not beig able to return.

Lurker64
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I think it's a no brainer to keep six WRs, especially with Quarless not beig able to return.

Plus, you definitely keep 6 WRs active over, say, a 3rd QB or a 6th DL, when that guy is a special teams stud (c.f. Gurley's ability to block kicks.)

Joemailman
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Plus, you definitely keep 6 WRs active over, say, a 3rd QB or a 6th DL, when that guy is a special teams stud (c.f. Gurley's ability to block kicks.)

6th WR over a 3rd QB is fine. No way though would I keep less than 6 DL. One injury and that could be a real problem. And how often do you get through a season without injured players on the DL?

Lurker64
06-18-2012, 12:36 AM
6th WR over a 3rd QB is fine. No way though would I keep less than 6 DL. One injury and that could be a real problem. And how often do you get through a season without injured players on the DL?

You keep 6 DL, but you don't dress all of them on game days (most of the time.) Considering the Packers average about 2.25 defensive linemen per play, you only need a 5-man rotation in a given game in order to keep people fresh. 7 guys are inactive on every game day, and generally one of them is a DL.

woodbuck27
06-18-2012, 09:40 AM
If Jones didn't garner any interest as a FA what team us gonna want to give up a draft pick for him now? Talk about creating rumors so you have something to write about...

This isn't a 'trumped up no value rumor' rumor:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/6/13/3083476/james-jones-trade-rumors-packers

It just makes sense given that DD will be back and we have three developing talents. James Jones will be competeing with Randall Cobb for playing time. Who wins that battle?

a) I'd love to see him traded for a decent RB ((FS/SS) or get some real value for him now. He was born: 1984/03/31 and now 28 years old.

b) Even if we got a fifth round pick for him we trade his age for 'a potential rookie prospect' by using that fifth round pick to trade up in that draft.

GO PACKERS !