PDA

View Full Version : Do you dislike Skip Bayless?

swede
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
If you do, watch Mark Cuban punch his lights out rhetorically.

Skip Gets Lit Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI)

I am liking Mark Cuban for a day.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/zebra.gif

RashanGary
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
If you do, watch Mark Cuban punch his lights out rhetorically.

Skip Gets Lit Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI)

I am liking Mark Cuban for a day.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/zebra.gif

You can tell Skip is no dummy. As little as he knows about sports, he hung in there in the war of words for about 1/3 of it. The longer it went, the more Cuban got to him.

Bayless doesn't bring anything to the table when it comes to actual sports conversation, but he does stir controversy and a lot of people tune in to watch that type of thing.

Brando19
06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Not a fan of Bayless...but the man knows how to stir up an argument. Did you know he was one of the best high school basketball players in the country?

KYPack
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Not a fan of Bayless...but the man knows how to stir up an argument. Did you know he was one of the best high school basketball players in the country?

I had heard that Bayless was a top BBall proepect, but then I heard Bayless had inflated his rep and that he was just a HS star. What is the truth there, I'm too lazy to look it up?

I also like that S A smith looked like a monk that had taken a vow of silence during that segment.

Always wondered what it would take to shut that sumbitch's mouth.

pbmax
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Bayless has padded his resume about his basketball skills, he was not a top HS prospect.

But Bayless was a good reporter and writer. or I should say he could be at times. But as far back as the Cowboys dynasty, he discovered being controversial raised his profile and paycheck.

His mind and skills are no longer used to uncover or reveal new information or understanding, they are used to discover the soft underbelly of an argument that hasn't begun yet.

The LeBron point is a wonderful demonstration. 9 years in the league, 3 MVPs and no championship. Told like that, it sounds like James is lucky he was not shattered by the weight of expectations. But Skip is expertly substituting the media's perspective for the player. The media are ready to give up on LeBron's chances at being an all time great, but I doubt LeBron was. And Skip, who does no more reporting on site, has no idea what LeBron is going through. Was he really under more pressure than Charles Barkley or Jerry West, Wilt or Kareem? Skip has no idea, he only has 9 years and 3 MVPs.

Bayless also is hewing to the idea that one great player should send a team to championship success. Jordan did not do it, West didn't, Cousy didn't, Wilt and Kareen didn't. LeBron is a poster child for the fallacy of the great player must win a chamionship meme. Great players win championships when they are teamed with very good teammates. It was a miracle James took that Cavs team to the Championship game.

In a way, Cuban wrongly credited Bayless with a point he didn't earn. Bayless had an objective data point like Cuban wanted the media to use, but Bayless' conclusion from that data was poor.

swede
06-23-2012, 11:48 PM
A thoughtful post as usual, PBMax.

And I have just fallen into the inevitable trap of rewarding Bayless with attention, for it is not the clarity and depth of his reporting and commentary that justifies his salary; he gets paid to get people talking. If everyone talks about what an idiot he is he is still getting clicks and selling papers and recruiting viewers who watch in the desperate hope that someone like Mark Cuban will finally skewer him.

Cuban wasn't all that informed himself, but he at least illuminated the kind of discussions that sports fans would much rather have from the sports journalism community. Bayless gives us, "Oklahoma didn't want it as much as Miami." Would that our sports journalists would tell us how Miami managed the task. I want the sports version of the Wall Street Journal but sports journalists seem content to give us People magazine.

Bossman641
06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Bayless is a complete moron. I can't even watch that show any longer. He is a one trick idiot and his schtick grew old long ago. Find a controversial topic and argue it to death. Rodgers, tebow, vince young, lebron, tiger.

sheepshead
06-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Nice, agree gotta give it to Cuban. I havent watched sports center in years for instance. I cant stand it. The commentary is too much to stomach. Its amazing more players dont call these goofs out.

Tony Oday
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Jordan had Pippen, Shaq had Kobe, Lebron has Wade and Bosh and won't win another title.

Brando19
06-24-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/skip-bayless-high-school-basketball-teammates-come-to-his-defense-kind-of/

I guess SKIP is the one that claimed he was an awesome high school player. Should have known it was bs.

Brando19
06-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Jordan had Pippen, Shaq had Kobe, Lebron has Wade and Bosh and won't win another title.

You really think Lebron won't win another title? You're crazy. And Jordan had more than Pippen. I don't view Bosh as a star. He's above average player, but not a star.

pbmax
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Wade is getting old fast. He apparently played hurt most of the playoffs and had some disappointing games. So LeBron might need ANOTHER Wade to win another title. Bosh is very skilled but a complimentary player.

The point is that Pippen and Jordan couldn't win (or even beat Detroit) until the rest of the team was upgraded with Cartwright and Grant became a very good PF. They also needed Paxson/Hodges to find space in that offense to hit threes. You take away any of those pieces and the results of their playoff runs would be different. Remember, the conventional wisdom about Jordan before he won was that he didn't make his teammates better. He was just a scorer.

LeBron, no matter how good, isn't solely responsible for titles even though Skip thinks he is. You can see the reverse logic at work all the time among talking heads. They admit his superior talent and skills but then setup a false hurdle. "If he wants to be considered one of the best, or the best small forward of all time, he must win more titles..." He doesn't play five positions, he plays one. If it was up to one player, Wilt would have won 12 in a row.

The choice of opponents has something to do with it as well. Matchups rule.

Pugger
06-24-2012, 10:13 AM
As long as folks continue to watch Clueless and is nonsense he'll be on the air. BSPN doesn't care if he is an idiot as long as his blatherings attract viewers. To me he is the Jerry Springer of sports talk. :eyes:

Kiwon
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow, Mark Cuban and I share something in common - we both apparently have trouble getting a good haircut. You'd think a billionaire could at least afford a decent haircut. Maybe not.

Joemailman
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Am I the only one wondering why a thread about Skip Bayless and Mark Cuban arguing about Lebron James is in the Packer forum? :huh:

Little Whiskey
06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Am I the only one wondering why a thread about Skip Bayless and Mark Cuban arguing about Lebron James is in the Packer forum? :huh:

I think its a thread about skip bayless being a dumbass. he's also talks about football at times. just so happens him getting bitch slapped was while he was talking basketball. I'd let it slide in the packer side of things. .......besides its slow!

swede
06-24-2012, 05:14 PM

No. I wondered also. If we had any decent mods on this site they would have moved this sucker somewhere else.

It might be that the author of the thread wanted input from the Green Bay Packer posters who are most familiar with Bayless, but I'd go with the possibility that the thread author was brain-damaged by early exposure to Scandinavian Vikings fans and has no clue how to find the Romper Room.

Iron Mike
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.clevelandseniors.com/photos/missbarbara/romper-room-set-1964.jpg

Lurker64
06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Bayless is not himself the worst thing about ESPN, but he is a perfect exemplar of everything that is wrong with ESPN. If you spout random nonsense to create controversy, you get ratings and it doesn't matter what you say because nobody ever holds you accountable for it. That's Skip's game and that's really the game throughout a lot of the four letter network's programming.

MJZiggy
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Bayless is not himself the worst thing about ESPN, but he is a perfect exemplar of everything that is wrong with ESPN. If you spout random nonsense to create controversy, you get ratings and it doesn't matter what you say because nobody ever holds you accountable for it. That's Skip's game and that's really the game throughout a lot of the four letter network's programming.

And it's not limited to just sports. They do the news like that too.

George Cumby
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Who?

gbgary
06-24-2012, 09:58 PM
lol...skip's had a tough year. I think it was jalen rose that embarrassed him about his hs basketball stats and now cuban shuts him down. I wish more people would confront him, and that idiot jim rome, more often.

Zool
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Bayless is not himself the worst thing about ESPN.

He's right up there.

Cheesehead Craig
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
lol...skip's had a tough year. I think it was jalen rose that embarrassed him about his hs basketball stats and now cuban shuts him down. I wish more people would confront him, and that idiot jim rome, more often.

It was Rose and it was fantastic when he called him out. Skip was totally humiliated by Rose to the point that they had to have a 2nd day about it so Skip had some time to regroup. Even then he was punked again.

Great to see Cuban make him look stupid yet again. I love how Stephen A. Smith stays completely out of it.

Everyone knows that Clueless is a moron and spouts off stupid shit. Haven't watched his act in a long time as it's boring.

Lurker64
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
He's right up there.

He is, but he's not clearly worse than, say, Colin Cowherd.

Zool
06-25-2012, 12:29 PM
He is, but he's not clearly worse than, say, Colin Cowherd.

Touche

pbmax
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Cowherd is the dictionary picture of a person who is successful but not smart about his supposed subject of expertise. Cowherd knows how to draw an audience and very little about sports.

pbmax
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnu83R5CuM

Little Whiskey
06-26-2012, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqpjlYCS85g