PDA

View Full Version : Williams shoulder is still bad

MadScientist
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/06/25/12/Packers-CB-Williams-still-limited-by-sho/landing_packers.html?blockID=751514&feedID=5069

This doesn't bode well for the season if Williams winds up playing like he did last year.

KYPack
06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I know!

Just saw this mesself. You beat me in starting a thread on it.

His shoulder was 15% last year and it's only back to about 50% now?

Could this be another "oh shit" moment?

Smidgeon
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
The 50% and the 15% measured different things. The 50% measured his arm strength, and the 15% measured how often the nerve is acting like it should. Don't think it was specified when they mentioned when the nerve was measured though...

KYPack
06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
The 50% and the 15% measured different things. The 50% measured his arm strength, and the 15% measured how often the nerve is acting like it should. Don't think it was specified when they mentioned when the nerve was measured though...

Thx, Smidge.

My dismay overloaded my medical expertise.

Tony Oday
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
As long as Woodson doesnt cover a big WR we should be good.

Packer Backer
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
The Rookie DB's may have to step up and play a big role this year!

Smidgeon
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Thx, Smidge.

My dismay overloaded my medical expertise.

I don't think the article said when the nerve was measured, but if it's at 15% now, that's very bad news. I was hoping it was in the 70-80% range and still recovering. Which means that Tramontana will be a one-armed CB again. But at least this time he's had an offseason to learn how to play effectively with one arm.

Smeefers
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh jeez. You're telling me that a Tramon Williams at what, 50% last year was better than any of our other DB's? This is a fricking bomb shell. I knew he was playing bad, but I didn't know his right arm was basically useless! If I'd of known that, I'd be begging them to sit him and let him heal.

Guiness
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Oh jeez. You're telling me that a Tramon Williams at what, 50% last year was better than any of our other DB's? This is a fricking bomb shell. I knew he was playing bad, but I didn't know his right arm was basically useless! If I'd of known that, I'd be begging them to sit him and let him heal.

Agreed. I'm surprised the team didn't give him some time to heal, especially as the wins were piling up. It would've been beneficial to him, and the team because some younger guys would've gotten some reps. From his tone in the article though, it sounds like he was hiding the severity of the injury from the team and was afraid of losing his job.

ThunderDan
06-26-2012, 02:48 PM
The Rookie DB's may have to step up and play a big role this year!

Wow, you joined in June 2007 and didn't make your first post until June 2012. :whaa:

Patler
06-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Agreed. I'm surprised the team didn't give him some time to heal, especially as the wins were piling up. It would've been beneficial to him, and the team because some younger guys would've gotten some reps. From his tone in the article though, it sounds like he was hiding the severity of the injury from the team and was afraid of losing his job.

The team knew. They had to know.
As I mentioned a couple times during the season and shortly after the year ended, Larry McCarren mentioned several times during game broadcasts, including once near the end of the season, that Williams was still playing with only one arm, and that the injury was obviously more debilitating than the team was letting on. If it was apparent to him, it certainly had to be apparent to the coaches and medical staff.

Smeefers
06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
The team knew. They had to know.
As I mentioned a couple times during the season and shortly after the year ended, Larry McCarren mentioned several times during game broadcasts, including once near the end of the season, that Williams was still playing with only one arm, and that the injury was obviously more debilitating than the team was letting on. If it was apparent to him, it certainly had to be apparent to the coaches and medical staff.

Well, yeah, I mean, I know he said that, but I didn't actually believe him. I thought he was just giving him a pass for having another bad game and that maybe he was playing hurt, but nothing he could do would further injure the arm and it would just take time. But if he's still where he was 6 months ago, well, maybe sitting and rehabbing him would have been the right answer. I don't know. I'm no doc. I'm sure the team had Williams best interest at heart. It's just disturbing to hear that it's not better. It's also disturbing to hear that a guy with a missing arm was better than Jarrett Bush.

Smidgeon
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure sitting would have sped up the nerve healing process at all. If it wasn't going to get worse by playing and wasn't going to get better by not playing, he might as well have played.

Joemailman
06-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Really bad news. People have to be prepared for the possibility that T-Will will never be the same player.

On the positive side, I think Hayward is the kind of guy who would have a chance to come in and play right away. Very smart instinctive player who is probably already a more knowledgeable player than Sam Shields.

I wonder if TT made the move up to get him in part because he already had serious concerns about T-Will's future.

Fritz
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
So the Lions lose guys because they get arrested, and the Packers lose them because they get hurt and their careers are jeopardized. Damn.

If only T-Will could intercept a few passes while still injured....his nickname would be "the one armed bandit."

Pugger
06-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Lets hope the new additions in the front 7 will improve the pass rush and camouflage our issues in the secondary... :-|

falco
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Not good at all. He had a chance to be a first ballot HOF if he stayed healthy.

KYPack
06-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Tramon learned his craft from two of the best "hand fighters" in the business at CB. C Wood & Al Harris.

All the talk of nerve damage is troubling. Nerve injuries rarely heal. When they are dead, they are gonzo, usually.

Hopefully Tramon can get back to some of his old skills.

pbmax
06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
The Packers, as far as the NFL is concerned, are very cautious with injuries. I don't think Tramon was playing last year if he stood a realistic chance of injuring the shoulder and nerve more. Neither the player nor the team benefit as he seems likely to get another contract.

That said, this would be easier to categorize if we new how long such injuries took to heal and what risks there are in playing with this injury.

Smidgeon
06-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Really bad news. People have to be prepared for the possibility that T-Will will never be the same player.

On the positive side, I think Hayward is the kind of guy who would have a chance to come in and play right away. Very smart instinctive player who is probably already a more knowledgeable player than Sam Shields.

I wonder if TT made the move up to get him in part because he already had serious concerns about T-Will's future.

If I remember reading the articles correctly, Hayward was drafted to play in the slot and Davon House drafted to play on the outside. I think House is far more likely to be the next up if Tramontana goes down and Hayward if Woodson goes down.

Smidgeon
06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Tramon learned his craft from two of the best "hand fighters" in the business at CB. C Wood & Al Harris.

All the talk of nerve damage is troubling. Nerve injuries rarely heal. When they are dead, they are gonzo, usually.

Hopefully Tramon can get back to some of his old skills.

I hadn't read that part. What I read is that the time table isn't consistent and that it sometimes takes longer to heal than other similar scenarios. Which implies near-full recovery--we just don't know when.

Smidgeon
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
So the Lions lose guys because they get arrested, and the Packers lose them because they get hurt and their careers are jeopardized. Damn.

If only T-Will could intercept a few passes while still injured....his nickname would be "the one armed bandit."

He had four interceptions last (regular) season with one TD with one arm and six the year before (regular season) with zero TDs. So best guess is that the interceptions will stay roughly the same. It's his tackling, defending, and bump-and-run that will suffer the most.

pbmax
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
The other odd thing about the article is Tramontana's approximations describing the percentages. 3 weeks ago he had his shoulder strength tested and the best he can remember is somewhere around 50%? Same with his nerve firing number at like 15% or so. Either the tests weren't that clear cut or he chooses deliberately vague.

Fritz
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Maybe he's actually closer to my age, and he just can't remember shit any more.

More seriously, though, this all doesn't seem to bode well. We went from a story about how it was worse last year than the team/Williams let on, to it's still bad and maybe ain't really gonna heal at all. Ugh.

Smidgeon
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Maybe he's actually closer to my age, and he just can't remember shit any more.

More seriously, though, this all doesn't seem to bode well. We went from a story about how it was worse last year than the team/Williams let on, to it's still bad and maybe ain't really gonna heal at all. Ugh.

Even if it doesn't heal at all, at least this time he's had an offseason to learn how to best play with it "as is". Any improvement then is a bonus.

KYPack
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
I hadn't read that part. What I read is that the time table isn't consistent and that it sometimes takes longer to heal than other similar scenarios. Which implies near-full recovery--we just don't know when.

If the nerve is dead, it's gone for good. It's like an electrical connection, if it's severed or the connection is broken, that's it. In Williams case, there are a whole cluster of nerves that may be damaged and heal, but if it's severe, he may be our own little one armed man and he may never be 100%.

Time will tell, but it's serious shit

smuggler
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Another thing to remember: 15 and 50 are phonetically very similar, so a reporter might have misinterpreted that number or Tramon might have just misspoken.

Fritz
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
That's why I'm fifty years old but I act like I'm fifteen.

MadScientist
06-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Well a little encouraging news on this front:
http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=7557

Sounds like he is improving, but was really weak last year.