PDA

View Full Version : Drops

Bossman641
07-11-2012, 04:10 PM
PFF took a look at drops and drop rates over the past 3 years

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

For WR
Of note, Driver had the 7th most drops in the league. Jones had the second worst drop rate in the league at 14.39%. Driver had 7th worst drop rate at 12.29%.

For TE
Finley had the 6th most drops in the league and the 4th worst drop rate at 10.9%.

My takeaway, I think Driver has been living a charmed life based on the amount of shit he takes for drops vs the shit Jones and Finley take.

Upnorth
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
PFF took a look at drops and drop rates over the past 3 years

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

For WR
Of note, Driver had the 7th most drops in the league. Jones had the second worst drop rate in the league at 14.39%. Driver had 7th worst drop rate at 12.29%.

For TE
Finley had the 6th most drops in the league and the 4th worst drop rate at 10.9%.

My takeaway, I think Driver has been living a charmed life based on the amount of shit he takes for drops vs the shit Jones and Finley take.

So Jones is the second worst and Driver the 7th. Perhaps ARod throws the ball poorly to them... (just stirring the pot)
While I am not suprised by Jones, I do believe that we have discussed the decline of Driver over the 2011 season as well. How does this sit with those discussing bringing 6 or 7 wr's into the season?

pbmax
07-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Good grief. That might be one way to build a receiving corp. Take the WRs with all the tangibles except hands. :)

Joemailman
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
They wouldn't be drops if the Packers receivers weren't always getting open. :mrgreen: :cow: http://cdn.nextsmallthings.com/coolchaser.com/thumb-20345487.jpg

Fritz
07-13-2012, 07:56 AM
James "Hands of Stone" Jones.

Donald "Hands of Clay" Driver.

Jermichael "Hands of Steel" Finley.

Patler
07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Jermichael "Hands of Steel" Finley.

Nope, that was a former Packer TE, Ben ("Hands of") Steele.

Fritz
07-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Nope, that was a former Packer TE, Ben ("Hands of") Steele.

Ah, you are right. I had forgotten.

How about Jermichael "IronHand" Finley?

denverYooper
07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

DROPPO

pbmax
07-14-2012, 10:42 AM
DROPPO

I am pbmax and I speak for Bretsky, that's a five clap post.

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

pbmax
07-14-2012, 10:43 AM

How about "Cross Eye"?

Pugger
07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
I think 2011 was an aberation for Finley and the drops. Before he hurt his knee in 2010 this wasn't an issue. I hope he is cured of that malady this coming season.

smuggler
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I think it was a nad season for Driver and especially Finley with drops. Jones, however, is pretty much on par with his career.

RashanGary
07-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Rodgers is a real, "put it where your guy can catch it and nobody else" kind of guy. Those aren't always the easy to catch passes, especially if your routes isn't dead on with what the QB is expecting, and even then, they're tough catches. Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson have proven to be two of the most reliable route runners we've had in several years.

AR doesn't just put it up there. There are subtle adjustments where the ball is placed, based on the leverage of the defense. Nelson and Jennings seem to "get it" and are on the same page as AR. I have a hunch Cobb is that type of guy too. Jones, Finley and Driver (in that order) don't seem to have that quality as much.

Flynn, for example, tore it up with Finley and Jones. He's more of a go get'em kind of quarterback. My guy vs your guy. . . . . Finley is more beast than anything. Jones too.

I'm hoping AR can adjust a little to Finley's style and Finley can adjust a little to AR's because he's the real talent of those three. Driver is dropping off. Jones is just excess at this point (assuming, and I really hope we do, keep Greg Jennings.)

All in all, I have a gut feeling those numbers are skewed based on our QB/offense.

pbmax
07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Rodgers has lofted a few to Finley, open or not (see Arizona playoff game and games with Jennings hurt) but with Nelson surpassing Jones and being more reliable, Finley has more competition and needs to get his routes squared away.

Flynn and Finley is interesting, as the last game was against one of the worst pass Ds in football. What did Finley do with Flynn versus the Patriots in 2010?

Bretsky
07-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Rodgers has lofted a few to Finley, open or not (see Arizona playoff game and games with Jennings hurt) but with Nelson surpassing Jones and being more reliable, Finley has more competition and needs to get his routes squared away.

Flynn and Finley is interesting, as the last game was against one of the worst pass Ds in football. What did Finley do with Flynn versus the Patriots in 2010?

Jones kind of blows so no big surprise there
I think Driver use to have pretty reliable hands in his early years
He doesn't get the separation that he used to so it doesn't suprise me that his drops are up

CaptainD
07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I think 2011 was an aberation for Finley and the drops. Before he hurt his knee in 2010 this wasn't an issue. I hope he is cured of that malady this coming season.

It was based on 3 years worth of data not just last season, so yes Finley has a big issue hanging on to the football.

Fred's Slacks
07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
What did Finley do with Flynn versus the Patriots in 2010?

IIRC Finely was on IR for that game.

smuggler
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
It was based on 3 years worth of data not just last season, so yes Finley has a big issue hanging on to the football.

He had good drop numbers in 2009, missed most of 2010 and then had bad drop numbers in 2011.

Bossman641
07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Rodgers is a real, "put it where your guy can catch it and nobody else" kind of guy. Those aren't always the easy to catch passes, especially if your routes isn't dead on with what the QB is expecting, and even then, they're tough catches. Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson have proven to be two of the most reliable route runners we've had in several years.

AR doesn't just put it up there. There are subtle adjustments where the ball is placed, based on the leverage of the defense. Nelson and Jennings seem to "get it" and are on the same page as AR. I have a hunch Cobb is that type of guy too. Jones, Finley and Driver (in that order) don't seem to have that quality as much.

Flynn, for example, tore it up with Finley and Jones. He's more of a go get'em kind of quarterback. My guy vs your guy. . . . . Finley is more beast than anything. Jones too.

I'm hoping AR can adjust a little to Finley's style and Finley can adjust a little to AR's because he's the real talent of those three. Driver is dropping off. Jones is just excess at this point (assuming, and I really hope we do, keep Greg Jennings.)

All in all, I have a gut feeling those numbers are skewed based on our QB/offense.

Gotta disagree. Rodgers fits the balls into some windows and might make guys stretch a little bit more than they are comfortable with, but he also puts the ball right on the money the majority of the time and almost never leads a WR into a big collision.

sharpe1027
07-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Gotta disagree. Rodgers fits the balls into some windows and might make guys stretch a little bit more than they are comfortable with, but he also puts the ball right on the money the majority of the time and almost never leads a WR into a big collision.

I agree, based upon a completely unscientific and unverified personal recall of the games. :) I could be wrong, but there were a lot of easy catches that were just plain dropped.

Brandon494
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Very true, hes a QB that rarely forces a pass which sometimes leads to a big hit.

pbmax
07-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Driver had drop issues with Favre. He has never been particularly clean for a top WR. Jennings is the best of the lot and his variation wasn't predicated on the QB. Finley was OK in 09 in same offense/QB. The more I think about this one, the more mixed its explanation is. What do Jones numbers look like in comparison?

denverYooper
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
New Drop info, from NFCN Blog (https://twitter.com/espn_nfcnblog/status/263652045624578049):

For those asking, #Packers drop pct. -- drops per attempt -- is 6.6. That's fifth-highest in NFL. Will post at some point.

denverYooper
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
And then as I move down my timeline in reverse chronological order, I see PackerRats tweeter in there doing some work...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y_HdCFz4iMU/UJE-e8ibJ2I/AAAAAAAAARA/zA87Cfau_Js/s520/PR_Drops_Convo_10312012.jpg

Joemailman
10-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Is there any evidence that there is a correlation between drops and winning/losing? Packers are 3rd in the NFL in catches.

Fritz
11-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Some of those drops are just drops, but Rodgers does throw sometimes like Favre - 100 mile an hour-looking bullets that come squeezed between two defenders' hands while a third has his body on the receiver.

By the way, Calvin Johnson has a lot of drops this year. And many of those are easy ones - he's wide open and - Doh!