PDA

View Full Version : Driver Can't Step Away Either

Old School
07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/donald-driver-wants-to-play-in-2013-as-well/

I don't post often, and have no idea how my posts are regarded, but I'm getting upset.
Now Driver wants to play yet another year before even making the final 53 this year.

DD has been praised and fawned over ad infintum. He has earned a lot of respect. But what does Driver's past have to do with the continuing developement of a team that can go deep into the playoffs year in and year out?

If we feed DD's ego and continue to carry him at diminished production, what happens when injuries occur and our WR's of the future are playing somewhere else? What if the Packers can't resign Jennings because he wants to be overpaid like others around the league? Is DD going to step up and catch 80 or 90 passes? I think not.

Until somebody steps up and tells Donald where Jack s#$t in the bucket, the Packers are mortgaging their future in my humble opinion. Can you say BrINT Favre boys and girls. Funny how no matter all the pius platitudes, it always comes down to the player being bigger than the team - in the player's eyes anyway.

smuggler
07-12-2012, 02:01 PM
He might not even make the team this year.

hoosier
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't blame Driver a bit for wanting to play more. If the Packers keep him and lose a young receiver with real potential, that will be on TT, not Driver. But at this point I don't think any of us have any clue whether Borel or Gurley are potential stars (seems unlikely) or just potential competent backups. If TT believes that competent backups are a dime a dozen, and he feels that Driver hasn't lost it completely and that his leadership skills are needed, then to me it makes sense to keep Driver (and probably 6 WR, including either Borel or Gurley but not both). That is assuming, of course, that the one they cut doesn't turn out to be the next Rod Smith.

Smidgeon
07-12-2012, 03:48 PM
My best guess is that Driver will go the way of Hines Ward: released, don't catch on, and eventually retire. Next offseason.

smuggler
07-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Hines had the added disadvantage of being universally hated in the league. Nobody's going to sign that guy to their team if he's not an awesome talent. Driver would definitely make another team, if he so desired, at least this offseason.

Brandon494
07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I have no problem with him still wanting to play pass this year. He still has enough game to play but the problem for is we are loaded at WR. I believe this will be his last season in Green Bay but not playing in the NFL.

BobDobbs
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/donald-driver-wants-to-play-in-2013-as-well/

I don't post often, and have no idea how my posts are regarded, but I'm getting upset.
Now Driver wants to play yet another year before even making the final 53 this year.

DD has been praised and fawned over ad infintum. He has earned a lot of respect. But what does Driver's past have to do with the continuing developement of a team that can go deep into the playoffs year in and year out?

If we feed DD's ego and continue to carry him at diminished production, what happens when injuries occur and our WR's of the future are playing somewhere else? What if the Packers can't resign Jennings because he wants to be overpaid like others around the league? Is DD going to step up and catch 80 or 90 passes? I think not.

Until somebody steps up and tells Donald where Jack s#$t in the bucket, the Packers are mortgaging their future in my humble opinion. Can you say BrINT Favre boys and girls. Funny how no matter all the pius platitudes, it always comes down to the player being bigger than the team - in the player's eyes anyway.

He's not going back and forth on retirement at the most important position in the game. He's been really clear that he wants to play, took a paycut and then left the decision up to the team. He's been totally standup.
Football is about competition. If the practice squad guys play too well then he'll have to go. If he shows up to camp and the wheels have fallen off then he has to go. But, really if those guys are all that great then they would have cracked the squad or been picked up by another team right off the bat. Randall Cobb is going to be way more important to the future of the team than those guys.

I see Driver as a player with pride. But, ultimately if we keep six and he is inactive some games he won't like it, but he's not going to be a locker room problem. All this does is give me a bigger reason to watch the preseason games closely.

Pugger
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
He's not going back and forth on retirement at the most important position in the game. He's been really clear that he wants to play, took a paycut and then left the decision up to the team. He's been totally standup.
Football is about competition. If the practice squad guys play too well then he'll have to go. If he shows up to camp and the wheels have fallen off then he has to go. But, really if those guys are all that great then they would have cracked the squad or been picked up by another team right off the bat. Randall Cobb is going to be way more important to the future of the team than those guys.

I see Driver as a player with pride. But, ultimately if we keep six and he is inactive some games he won't like it, but he's not going to be a locker room problem. All this does is give me a bigger reason to watch the preseason games closely.

This.

MadtownPacker
07-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Just like with #4 I dont have issue with any player's desire to continue playing. That is part of what makes them great IMO. In TT I trust to decide when those players best suit the Packers.

Fritz
07-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Part of this is about short-term versus long-term impact. Is it better to have Driver for one more year, or Borel/Gurley for the future? Which is another way of asking, how good is/are Borel/Gurley? That's what this comes down to. If one is a better or equal receiver than or to Driver, and plays well on special teams, then the Donald is gone. If however Driver is a better receiver than the other two, and neither shines on ST, then the Donald stays for another season.

Jimx29
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Just like with #4 I dont have issue with any player's desire to continue playing. That is part of what makes them great IMO. In TT I trust to decide when those players best suit the Packers.
QFT

MJZiggy
07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Wanting to play and being allowed to are two different things. Last I checked, he's only under contract for this year and he's still gotta earn that roster spot. I don't see wanting to compete for it as selfish and I don't think they'd keep him if he hasn't earned it.

pbmax
07-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Donald has always campaigned publicly about his contract. He was never the best Packer, but was long one of the most popular. Its his leverage.

I would bet Donald is now laying the groundwork for a contract to remain with the team in a marketing capacity.

gbgary
07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Driver Can't Step Away Either

maybe but i'll bet my house he doesn't go out and play for minn, det, or chi, and spit in the face of the fans.

Rutnstrut
07-15-2012, 05:09 PM
maybe but i'll bet my house he doesn't go out and play for minn, det, or chi, and spit in the face of the fans.

Even if he did, who cares? There is really no loyalty with teams/owners anymore, why should there be with the players? If a team cuts a player, and he can still play elsewhere imo that's great for him.

sharpe1027
07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I agree with Hoosier's post. There is no reason to be angry at Driver for wanting to come back and play. Ultimately, it is up the the Packers to field the best team from the available players. Driver is still an available player. Since Driver is not making the personnel decisions, I don't have a problem with him trying to come back for another two years. I think it will be difficult for him to keep making the team, but he's welcome to keep trying.

smuggler
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Edgar Bennett playing for Chicago was not much of a deal at all.