View Full Version : New coordinator isn't as 'wild' as his mentor, Jim Bates

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Posted August 18, 2006

Sanders brings own style to defense

New coordinator isn't as 'wild' as his mentor, Jim Bates

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

If there was anything memorable about last season for the Green Bay Packers, it's the image of defensive coordinator Jim Bates running around the field during training camp, chasing plays and high-fiving or chastising players after almost every rep.

In his first — and only — season with the Packers, he was the most noticeable and dominant personality on the practice field.

Though the rest of the 4-12 season largely was forgettable, Bates left a lasting mark — so much so that when General Manager Ted Thompson fired coach Mike Sherman, Bates was the overwhelming replacement choice among the players, especially those on the defensive side.

Bates didn't get the job, and shortly after Mike McCarthy took over, Bates was gone. Left behind to take his spot was his understudy, Bob Sanders. Sanders plans to run the same defensive scheme Bates did a year ago, when the Packers jumped from 25th in total defense in 2004 to seventh.

What won't be known until at least several regular-season games is whether Sanders has Bates' deep understanding of the system and his uncanny ability to reach the players. After three weeks of training camp, one thing is clear: Sanders doesn't have the same on-the-field presence that Bates did. But who does?

"Both are fiery guys, but he's not like Bates," said linebacker Nick Barnett, who has played for four defensive coordinators in his four NFL seasons.

"I think they're both great people and great coordinators, but they have different personalities. Do I think his personality is going to work as well as Bates'? Yes. I just think it's going to be a little different."

Bates caught people's attention from the start. In training camp last year, it was not unusual to see him rip off his visor and slam it to the ground when a play went awry, or run behind a player and slap him on the butt when something went right.

"We loved Coach Bates," third-year defensive tackle Corey Williams said.

"But we'll love Coach Sanders, too. They're kind of similar, but Coach Bates is just a lot louder. He would run around like a wild man. That's him. You never knew what to expect out of him. We loved him to death."

Though the 52-year-old Sanders hasn't done anything to make anyone think he's that personality type, several of his players warned observers not to think he's Mr. Quiet, either.

"He stays on you, that's for sure," Williams said. "He lets you know when you're doing good and lets you know when you're doing bad, stuff like that."

Sanders, who coached defensive ends last season under Bates, is in charge of a defense for the first time in his 30-year coaching career. When Bates joined the Packers, it was his seventh defensive coordinator job, including two other NFL coordinator jobs.

"It's Coach Sanders' first time, and he's got to have time to get in a groove," defensive tackle Colin Cole said.

"I think he called a pretty good game (in the preseason opener against San Diego). We as players still have to go out and execute. That's what it comes down to."

Barnett said: "I think he has that special quality. I mean, it takes a while for players to start to relate to him, and understand his coaching and his strategy. I relate to him, but it might take everybody else some time."

Sanders said he regularly talks to Bates, who is out of football, but said Bates didn't offer advice. Even if Bates had, it wouldn't be in Sanders' more introverted nature to share it publicly.

"You have to be yourself," Sanders said. "You've got to be you. Any time you fill a guy's shoes who you have great admiration for and a friendship with, and the success he's had, sure, those are big shoes to fill. But he prepared me for this. I try to work as a tribute to him and the things he did for me.

"The way I call the defense doesn't win the games. Playmakers win the games. The thing I learned from Jim is you get prepared before and get the guys in position to make plays, and they execute. That's what wins the games."

DEFENCE! DEFENCE !! DEFENCE !!!

GO PACKERS !! FAITH IN 2006 !!!

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 11:40 PM
SOME PACKER FAN COMMENTS:

** What we know about Bates Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:44 pm
We know players love the guy and produce when he's the coach. He gets results. He has an ability to motivate players. Reggie White also had this ability.

I think the Packers need a personality like Bates - because whatever else you say about football, if a team is not emotionally prepared, they are not ready to take the field and win.

I was hoping Bates would have been made Head Coach. And I hope the guys chosen do well. But if the defense sucks by the bye week, then I hope we get Bates and make him our defensive coordinator. My message to Sanders is have your defense ready for the first game.
Reader Comment Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:13 pm

** I don't care what approach Sanders takes, even if it's how Mary Poppins would coach the defense. If the the Packers are going to have a decent year, the defense is going to have to get turnovers. I don't know if you can really teach that but the defense has to be looking for opportunities to get themselves off the field. The offense, at least for awhile, won't be very good and will need more opportunities to score.
bad memories Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:36 am

** oh man, this article gets me angry that Bates isn't our head coach right now.....salt in an old wound.
sanders Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 am

** Then give him a chance to show you before you judge him and compare him to bates. Thats all I hear out of Packer fans is a bunch of complaining. Everybody is kind of spoiled with the past 13 years of success. We have 1 bad year and everyone is ready cut the guys head off no matter who it is. Just because the Pack didn't hire who they want or cut the guy down because he isn't as good as the guy before and we have'nt even played 1 regular season game. This is a very young team except for Favre. If they can keep this core group of guys together and add a few more vets and a draft pick or two to this team they could be very good and fun to watch in the future. So everybody calm down deal with the growing pains watch your beloved Packers and you will see the progress and years end no matter the record.

Can't do much worse than last year.

GO PACK Dan

Bretsky
08-19-2006, 01:38 AM
The Packers interviewed some very qualified candidates before settling on staying in house. Should be interesting to see how things roll. It was always my view that Bates brought the most out of that defense with his personality and scheming; the newbie seems to have a temperment like Ed Donatell

Partial
08-19-2006, 01:42 AM
B, how did you feel about Donatelle? I always thought he was a good coordinator who lacked good players. They were excellent at calling passing down blitzes to generate turnovers when he was the coach.

Tarlam!
08-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Donatell is a fantastic DC and a great guy. He was forced to defend a 4th and 26, because of Sherman's inability to make the right call on several occasions to gain inches. Plus, Sherman more or less dictated how poorly the defense would be with his sickening inability to draft defense or lure great FAs.

Sherman is gone, so I won't vent any more than to mainatin my HO: Ed Donatell was a scapegoat....

Bretsky
08-19-2006, 07:24 AM
B, how did you feel about Donatelle? I always thought he was a good coordinator who lacked good players. They were excellent at calling passing down blitzes to generate turnovers when he was the coach.

Donatell was an average DC who preached creating turnovers insanely and it has worked for all of his units. He was the scapegoat for that Phily loss and didn't deserve to be fired. That being said, I'd take Bates over Donatell any day. I didn't like the current hiring but I'm willing to give him a chance.

B

test
08-19-2006, 08:22 AM
we'll miss Bates. He put a fire in their bellies that overcame some lack of talent. When you get that fire, you get confident and begin to improve.

Bretsky
08-19-2006, 08:47 AM
we'll miss Bates. He put a fire in their bellies that overcame some lack of talent. When you get that fire, you get confident and begin to improve.

Agree completely; I always like the fiery Bates. He'd ride their @sses and they still liked him. It takes a special guy to do that and the defense often develops a similar attitude.

mission
08-19-2006, 10:57 AM
We definitely lacked any semblence of intensity during the MS area. None, actually.

And whether it's business or sports or tiddlywinks, the team is going to personify the leader and will match his level of intensity. I'm hoping to see more clipboards getting thrown and forehead veins popping out this year. We need to get fired up! :evil: