PDA

View Full Version : Rookie holdouts looming?

Guiness
07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Rookie camps are starting, and some of the top picks are not there. Strangely, seeing a lot of press about RGIIInterceptions not being present, and less about Luck.

At first glance, it's the offset language that is the problem. However, I don't think teams are really concerned about the idea of paying players who've been cut and re-signed by another team (which the offset language prevents). These are supposed to be franchise players, they fully expect them to be on the payroll in four years. I think this is a red herring - teams are willing to argue about this so that agents don't find something else to try and get. If teams give up on the offset language, the agents will look for something else to prove to their clients that they can negotiate the best deal.

MadScientist
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
With the new rookie cap, it would seem more likely that a team would cut a player before the contract is up, and with the offset language, it gives the teams some hope that they will recover a bit of the dead money. The players will want to double dip, since once they've been cut and labeled a bust, they will probably need everything they can get, besides with the offset they would essentially be playing for free. I see it as a legit sticking point, rather than just agent games.

pbmax
07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
dp

pbmax
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Lawyers will always find a way. They should just bite the bullet, put in a max deal and guarantee the contracts. This was as inevitable as rain.

Well, rain any other summer. :)

pbmax
07-18-2012, 08:22 AM
It rained this morning. And the Redskins accepted no offset provision for RGIIIs contract. That means first round pick 9 and 2 succeeded. Both are represented by the same agency (CAA) and that agency has 3 more picks to sign.

Its a dicey question, as Florio mentions elsewhere, this language could get you the Marcus Allen treatment, paid to sit. But as a high first round pick in Year 4 of a deal, the odds of that player being released were low anyway. Not sure it changes much.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/redskins-blink-on-offset-language/