PDA

View Full Version : Craig Newsome's Ordeal

Joemailman
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/expacker-craig-newsome-fights-pain-addiction-qc63elg-162542106.html

A rather devastating story about the pain/addiction/depression that Newsome has gone through due to injuries suffered in his football career. I hope things work out for him. It's a grim reminder of the price that some pay to play the game that we love to watch.

pbmax
07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
If prescription medication is handed out in any manner like described (and its clear Newsome is being off handed here) then the teams involved should be investigated. I think the Saints had a similar issue with their coach and the Packers have an ex-QB who used to get his fill from teammates.

Fritz
07-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I feel bad about Newsome. His lack of speed was his weakness, but before he got hurt he was a good, solid player. A very solid starter. Who will forget the TD against San Fran in the playoffs that ignited that team's SB run?

But there's the part of sports - pro, college, even high school - that we forget: once a guy gets hurt or used up, he's discarded and all but forgotten.

Guiness
07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, some story. Sounds like he's lucky to have what he does after what he went through...and put his wife through. Dude was 30 and couldn't get out of bed for a year, how did he stop from losing his mind?

Congrats to him for pulling through, and let's hope this is the last we hear about it. Seems too often you read about one of these guys turning it around, only to read a year or so later that he turned it around again, after having a relapse - I'm sure I've read 3-4 stores about William Perry straightening his life out.

hoosier
07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Who will forget the TD against San Fran in the playoffs that ignited that team's SB run?

Not to nitpick but the TD against San Fran was in 1995-96, the year they lost to Dallas in the NFC Championship game (the game in which Erik Williams blew out Jurkovich's knee with a very cheap chop block). The Super Bowl run happened the following year. But the win at San Fran gave notice that the Packers were up and coming, so you could certainly say that Newsome's TD set the tone for next year.

denverYooper
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I feel bad about Newsome. His lack of speed was his weakness, but before he got hurt he was a good, solid player. A very solid starter. Who will forget the TD against San Fran in the playoffs that ignited that team's SB run?

But there's the part of sports - pro, college, even high school - that we forget: once a guy gets hurt or used up, he's discarded and all but forgotten.

Then he winds up being donated to a preschool where he works his way up a hierarchy of jaded, discarded toys.

Wait, that's one of my daughter's movies.

Joemailman
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
If prescription medication is handed out in any manner like described (and its clear Newsome is being off handed here) then the teams involved should be investigated. I think the Saints had a similar issue with their coach and the Packers have an ex-QB who used to get his fill from teammates.

It's been a long time, but starting in 1997, I recollect the league ordered teams to tighten up their procedure for distributing Vicodin in the wake of Favre's addiction which came to light in 1996. The reports were that a couple teammates were requesting Vicodin and then passing it on to Favre. It's unclear from the story whether what he described was still going on in 1997 or later.

MJZiggy
07-17-2012, 07:47 PM

I think that's because we assume that with all of the money and fame that they come across, they are set to take on anything they want to in later life. There are the writers, and announcers and car dealership owners. You look at how some of the old time guys have handled what little they got from the league that you forget about the guys who don't take charge of their post-football lives.

Fritz
07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Not to nitpick but the TD against San Fran was in 1995-96, the year they lost to Dallas in the NFC Championship game (the game in which Erik Williams blew out Jurkovich's knee with a very cheap chop block). The Super Bowl run happened the following year. But the win at San Fran gave notice that the Packers were up and coming, so you could certainly say that Newsome's TD set the tone for next year.

What he said.

sheepshead
07-18-2012, 07:08 AM

He even had a clothing line at Boston Store I think it was that was quickly on sale.

George Cumby
07-18-2012, 08:24 AM
I think that's because we assume that with all of the money and fame that they come across, they are set to take on anything they want to in later life. There are the writers, and announcers and car dealership owners. You look at how some of the old time guys have handled what little they got from the league that you forget about the guys who don't take charge of their post-football lives.

Right. Despite all the advantages (?) they are still just like the rest of us, flawed and riddled with human frailty. The lights go off, someone younger and faster comes a long, they fade into the night and try to pick up the pieces. Except now everyone isn't fawning over them. Sad story.

wpony
07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
It is so hard I understand completely I have a very bad back and have been on very strong prescription pain pills for years and now have slipped into a deep depression I am fighting through it and hope I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel but it is not easy and I have so much respect for all he has accomplished