PDA

View Full Version : Watch This Before It Disappears

pbmax
07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
An entire Vikings at Steelers game from 1972.

Lots of empty seats from the bandwagon Steeler fans (sorry, just can't escape the Browns bias). The commercials are hysterical. Loved the Die Hard battery ads. Didn't they freeze a car in ice once? Ads for cigarettes, "you don't need to inhale"!

A nice feature of these broadcasts is a wide angle shot prior to the snap to show all 22 players. No one remembers Jack Ham because of Lambert and Mean Joe Green. But Ham was a beast. And an Ed Marinaro sighting. Just fantastic. Might need to download this before the NFL makes it disappear. Fran Tarketon threw with a little hop and push at the end of his motion, like he was trying to get something extra on it. The O line for this Vikings team pass blocks horribly. I also swear I saw Mean Joe in coverage. All that plus Frenchy Fuqua.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtIst13GCY

Pugger
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Why would it disappear?

Fosco33
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Interesting stuff! It was only the first half and I couldn't bare to watch the whole thing but it was fun to jump around for a few minutes.

Here's 2nd half. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt1eqK3XwvA&feature=player_embedded#!

Things I liked: the wide angle shot, only 1 min commercial breaks (2, 30 sec spots), actually airing the national anthem.

Things that were interesting: the refs weren't distinguished by their role, had no head ref and didn't have the mic to announce penalties - much faster action. They only had 2 cameras and the constant movement/zooming was annoying as hell. It also didn't allow fans to question calls as much (go to end of half, sideline catch as example). Some interesting rules (like not being able to down a punt).

Funny commercials: Go to about 1:10:30 of 1st half - Miller Time. 9min into 2nd half video - the '73 Ford Pinto. Classic stuff.

pbmax
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
The game does remind me that I would vote to eliminate replay should I ever have the opportunity. The Fuqua fumble is followed simply by each side walking off the field. No pleading, no shot of the coach with a flag in his sock, no quadrillion replays frame by frame.

Which reminds me that all blame for replay resides with the Steelers as well. If Mel Renfro had been given a touchdown for the Oilers versus the Steelers in the playoff game in the early 80s, none of this would have happened.

gbgary
07-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I remember that old opening theme song & vid.

pbmax
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Why would it disappear?

Copyright claim by the NFL. The video has the disclaimer during the Vikings 2nd drive of the game.

Guiness
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Why would it disappear?

NFL properties baby! For the same reason they've convinced the Department of Homeland Security that they need to take down games streaming from Australia.

The national anthem was pretty cool. What was with all the flags? I could pick out Israel's, and I think Sweden's. Anyone know the rest?