PDA

View Full Version : DEAR TED...SIGN CEDRICK BENSON

Bretsky
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Thoughts ?

Dude is still out there and would come cheap. Better than Grant. It's known GB has inquired about him

Get er done TT !!

pbmax
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Where did you read about the inquiry? Inquiring minds want to know!

smuggler
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Benson said that the Raiders and Packers had contacted him. Also, a while ago, he was contacted by the Jets or something. He said he'd rather retire than play for the minimum, so my guess is he's done unless somebody gets injured. I'm pretty sure Grant is better than Benson tbqh.

Bretsky
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Where did you read about the inquiry? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dude, those in the inner circle never reveal their sources :)

Bretsky
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Benson said that the Raiders and Packers had contacted him. Also, a while ago, he was contacted by the Jets or something. He said he'd rather retire than play for the minimum, so my guess is he's done unless somebody gets injured. I'm pretty sure Grant is better than Benson tbqh.

I listened to a long interview with Benson today and he sounds like he's been humbled. Does he hope somebody gets hurt ? For sure. But he sounded like a guy who was just ready to sign and get in a camp.

In reality the Raiders are his perfect fit; McFadden can't last a season.

With Green coming off a serious injury and not much behind Starks I'd sign him in a heartbeat

Guiness
07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
He's 30 this year, and has a LOT of miles. He still ran for over 1K yards last year, didn't he? I wonder if no one really will give him more than the minimum? Seems like he'd be worth more than that. I wonder if he's looking for multiple years, because I doubt he'll get it.

gbgary
07-18-2012, 11:04 PM
couldn't hurt.

Patler
07-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I would sign Grant before Benson.

Grant's worst season yd/carry average is higher than Benson's career average.
Benson's best season yd/carry average is lower than Grant's career average.
Benson has 19 fumbles in 1529 carries.
Benson's insignificant as a receiver (106 in 91 games), yards/reception a full yard behind Grant's.
Benson has just 4 runs of 40+ yards in his career, just 27 of 20+.
Grant has 6 & 27, respectively; but on 924 carries to Benson's 1,529.

I see nothing interesting at all about Benson.

gbgary
07-19-2012, 12:00 AM

Benson's insignificant as a receiver (106 in 91 games), yards/reception a full yard behind Grant's.

between the two, who is more capable TODAY though? just asking.

Fritz
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Since Benson is not a spring chicken, sounds like the answer to your question is Grant.

hoosier
07-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Doesn't matter if he is in his prime or over the hill, Benson has never fit what the Packers are looking for in a running back. No thanks.

George Cumby
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Who is this Patler person and what are these things called "facts" that he seems to use on a semi-regular basis?

sharpe1027
07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Who is this Patler person and what are these things called "facts" that he seems to use on a semi-regular basis?

Don't ask too many questions Cumby or he'll use his Jedi mind tricks on you. Remember, those aren't the droids you're looking for.

smuggler
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
between the two, who is more capable TODAY though? just asking.

Grant. Benson would be cheaper. If they both come for veteran minimum, I'd take Grant first.

I don't think GB will sign either, because I think they are conserving that roster spot.

Upnorth
07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
If Benson and Grant are the same price you take Grant and never look back. I think smuggler is right in the roster spot being used elsewhere.

smuggler
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
If any of our backs go down, Grant will be the first one they call, if available.

Bossman641
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
No thanks to Benson

Cheesehead Craig
07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Is Benson going to take over coaching ST?

Lurker64
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I think there's nothing here beyond "the Packers do their due diligence on everybody."

HarveyWallbangers
07-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd rather have Starks, Green (provided he's healthy; if not, they can look elsewhere), and Saine. RBs are a dime a dozen.

King Friday
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm lukewarm to both...neither should be a starter at this point in their careers.

KYPack
07-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Ced is a power back that is losing both shake and some speed. he's a more limited guy. He mainly runs power formation stuff. Jay Gruden in Cincy is more of a MM type OC, he wants his backs to be both PR and RB types. He passed on Ced and I think MM will, too.

Rutnstrut
07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
TT will NOT sign any talent at running back, he does not think a quality back is needed. A few years ago they really should have picked up Marshawn Lynch, most on here said he sucked and GB doesn't need a good back to win. Well he doesn't suck, quite the opposite and a solid back is a great need of this team. But TT will continue to do it his way and GB will be lucky if they get a sniff at another super bowl. I am not saying Benson is the answer, nor Grant. But I really doubt Starks is going to amount to much.

ThunderDan
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
TT will NOT sign any talent at running back, he does not think a quality back is needed. A few years ago they really should have picked up Marshawn Lynch, most on here said he sucked and GB doesn't need a good back to win. Well he doesn't suck, quite the opposite and a solid back is a great need of this team. But TT will continue to do it his way and GB will be lucky if they get a sniff at another super bowl. I am not saying Benson is the answer, nor Grant. But I really doubt Starks is going to amount to much.

I guess you don't want Clay Mathews III on our team. That 3rd we got for BF which would have gotten us Marshawn Lynch (per the rumors) was need to trade to the Patroits to move up to grab Matthews!

ThunderDan
07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Did we win a Super Bowl without Lynch on our team after that trade "could" have happened?

RashanGary
07-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Ted seems to usually find a way. We feel like RB is a major hole, partially we may place too much weight on the RB position in this passing league because of how important it is in fantasy football. Skews perception. Having junk hurts.

I read an article that compared recent RBs coming back from ACL injuries. Older running backs rarely come back. Late season injuries rarely come back the following year very productive. Young players typically come back strong. Early season injuries typically come back stronger than their late season counterparts.

Alex Green is 23 years old, and he was injured in week 5. He could be ready to rumble come week 1. He could be 100% by mid season. History shows it's more likely than not.

JS just had an article saying our RBs need to protect the passer and hang onto the ball 1st, and then just get up field for 3 or 4 yards after that. We don't ask nearly as much out of our RBs as other teams. If AR gets 2nd and 7, that's a good down for him. 3rd and 4 is a good down for him. Just getting teh quick yards is enough to keep AR in explosive down and distances. Turning the ball over and being overly patient to break bigger runs is counter productive. It leads to more negative plays, even if it gets more big plays. We score points with the passing game. We pick up big chunks of yards with the passing game. Most RBs can just turn up field and get 3. The great ones are patient and pick up huge gains. Fortunately, we just need one who blocks, hangs onto the ball and gets teh easy yards.

In the same JS article they said saine is steady eddie. He blocks, gets teh quick yards and knows his job. If getting a quick 3 and blocking for AR is the job description, he could be "the guy" for our watered down running back responsibilities. And Green could be a real weapon in teh passing game (3rd down back) if he can block too.

In short, I'm not worried.

smuggler
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree with JH. The running game will be just fine with 4.1 yards/carry like 2011. It's a non-issue as of now.

Rutnstrut
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
If Rodgers goes down for any length of time a solid running game would be nice to have to fall back on.

RashanGary
07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
If Rodgers goes down for any length of time a solid running game would be nice to have to fall back on.

True, if we had the greatest everything, we'd be great no matter what. A great running back sure wouldn't hurt us any.

Lurker64
07-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I think Green is Ted's shot at a stud RB. It's not worth chasing after one year after year.

If Green doesn't work out, then Ted will draft somebody else on day 2. But Ted's not going to throw pick after pick chasing after "the answer" at RB, when the success of this team is perhaps less dependent on the running game than any other team in the NFL over the past couple of seasons.

Joemailman
07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree with JH. The running game will be just fine with 4.1 yards/carry like 2011. It's a non-issue as of now.

Actually 3.9, which was 26th in the NFL. Grant, Starks and Rodgers were actually all slightly over 4.0. Kuhn (2.6) and Saine (3.8) brought the average down. With the release of Clifton, who was the weak link in the run blocking scheme, the run blocking might get somewhat better. Still, the Pack choose their O-Linemen primarily based on pass blocking ability, so I doubt they'll ever be a great run blocking team under McCarthy.

Smeefers
07-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm not worried about a guy who might touch the ball 10 times in a game. I'm also not willing to pay him a bunch of money. I don't care if it's lynch or if it's Benson. We're not geared to the run, we shouldn't break the bank on it. We have a two RB system now, and MM is going to stick to it. We're just going to have to accept that unless an Adrian Peterson falls into our laps in the draft and we take him at BPA, we're not going to have a stud RB for a long long time.

MadtownPacker
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I think Green is Ted's shot at a stud RB. It's not worth chasing after one year after year.

If Green doesn't work out, then Ted will draft somebody else on day 2. But Ted's not going to throw pick after pick chasing after "the answer" at RB, when the success of this team is perhaps less dependent on the running game than any other team in the NFL over the past couple of seasons.
I like this post and agree, TT doesnt sign a premium RB because he really doesnt give a fuck to do so. He is down with the RB committee approach which has worked well for several recent SB winners. TT just hasnt been as lucky at RBs with like WRs. I'm betting he hits on one this season.

Guiness
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Personality is going to matter with a vet RB he picks up. A guy who's had a good career and considers himself a stud RB might have ego problems if he got here and he's not the feature of the offense.

I think Benson is probably humbled by sitting at home with no calls, so maybe not a problem this way. I really have no idea if he or Grant would be a better option at this point, if we wanted a vet back there. Gut tells me Grant, if he can still do it, because he knows the offense and has done a lot more catching out of the backfield.

Lurker64
07-21-2012, 03:02 PM
I think that part of the reason that people get on Ted about "neglecting the running back position" is that the running back prospects that people fall in love with every draft season just don't fit with Ted's profile for RBs.

Ted drafts RBs tall (at least 5'10" or thereabouts), thick (210+), and fast (no worse than 4.5).

So why didn't we draft LaMichael James? He's 5'8" 194. Why didn't we draft Jacquizz Rodgers? He's 5'6" 196 and ran a 4.6.

Bretsky
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
DEAR TED

Sign Cedrick Benson :)))

Joemailman
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
DEAR TED

Sign Cedrick Benson :)))

Didn't know you had this kind of pull with TT. What do The Packer Bikini Girls think of Cedric Benson?