PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leonhard

The Shadow
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Leonhard seems to be available. I'd certainly take a look.

Pugger
07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Is he healthy? There must be a reason why a guy like that is still unemployed...

Fosco33
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
He's a good guy - and very popular. Definitely makes up for any perceived lack of athletic prowess with high intellect and calling plays. THAT's what we need - someone who can be the 'QB' of the DBs...

The Shadow
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
He's a good guy - and very popular. Definitely makes up for any perceived lack of athletic prowess with high intellect and calling plays. THAT's what we need - someone who can be the 'QB' of the DBs...

We once signed Eugene Robinson to fill a similar void - and won a Super Bowl.

jdrats
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
We once signed Eugene Robinson to fill a similar void - and won a Super Bowl.

And let him go a year too early and missed a chance at another.

Fosco33
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I thought Butler's leadership was always pretty good too - and lots of pro bowls. But yeah, Eugene was the free safety - Butler being strong. Guess Leonhard played more strong for Jets/etc.

Guiness
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
He's the undrafted guy from Wisconsin–Madison, right? I remember some clamoring to draft him in a late round that year. I'm pretty sure he's had a couple of major knee surgeries. Can't see a lot of interest in him around the league.

Fosco33
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I was probably one of those homers wanting to see him in G&G.

Here's some fun Leonhard threads...

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?8150-HAIL-TO-JIM-LEONARD-EX-BADGER-AND-CURRENT-STARTER

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?16218-Leonhard-still-available

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?16098-Jim-Leonhard&highlight

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?15576-Hindsight

Patler
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
He's the undrafted guy from Wisconsin–Madison, right? I remember some clamoring to draft him in a late round that year. I'm pretty sure he's had a couple of major knee surgeries. Can't see a lot of interest in him around the league.

He's also from Ladysmith WI originally, and many fans have followed him since high school.

Problem he has always faced is that he is 5'8" and 180 lbs. Sometimes when the small guys start to break down, it becomes continuous.

Bretsky
07-20-2012, 07:26 AM
I was probably one of those homers wanting to see him in G&G.

Here's some fun Leonhard threads...

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?8150-HAIL-TO-JIM-LEONARD-EX-BADGER-AND-CURRENT-STARTER

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?16218-Leonhard-still-available

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?16098-Jim-Leonhard&highlight

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?15576-Hindsight

What an awesome post this was

Many mocked me when I said Jim Leonard would stick in the NFL; I've watched this guy since he was a walk in freshman at age 19 for the UW Madison. Nobody would offer him a scholarship; he wanted to go to Madison. So he walked on. He was instantly noticeable as a freshman; very solid tackler and a ball hawk, It became apparent to me right away he had the ""IT"" factor and would find his way to at least a short career in the pros

People told him he was too small for college and didn't have enough skill.
But he was one of the most underrated Badgers in recent history.
People said he was too short and not strong enough for the NFL.

Don't bet against Jim Leonard; here's to you Jim

Fritz
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
The Pack already has a smallish safety in "Medical Doctor" Jennings. No need to add another, especially one with this many injuries, which surely have robbed the guy of whatever speed he had.

Iron Mike
07-21-2012, 03:00 PM
The Pack already has a smallish safety in "Medical Doctor" Jennings. No need to add another, especially one with this many injuries, which surely have robbed the guy of whatever speed he had.

Guy needs to switch teams to Judaism, so we can call him "Mogen David" Jennings.

KYPack
07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Guy needs to switch teams to Judaism, so we can call him "Mogen David" Jennings.

"Mad Dog" Jennings (& switch his number to 2020)

Bretsky
07-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Too many Badger haters in here..........lol

Seriously, nothing to lose by brining in an overachieving, outstanding example guy in the mold of Tauscher/Driver.

pbmax
07-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Too many Badger haters in here..........lol

Seriously, nothing to lose by brining in an overachieving, outstanding example guy in the mold of Tauscher/Driver.

By the time the Packers get done bringing in people who you think it couldn't hurt to bring in (Leonard, Cedric Benson, Chris Chambers?), there will be several healthy, talented, cheaper, younger players available for other teams to evaluate who have to leave the Packers roster.

Guiness
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
By the time the Packers get done bringing in people who you think it couldn't hurt to bring in (Leonard, Cedric Benson, Chris Chambers?), there will be several healthy, talented, cheaper, younger players available for other teams to evaluate who have to leave the Packers roster.

Ouch...

Patler
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Yup, the training camp roster is set. Signing anyone would require releasing someone. Right now, I suspect TT wants to see what he has. Signing any of the various vets is more likely to occur after a couple weeks of camp, when injuries or performance makes someone expendable. He knows what guys like Leonard, Benson, Grant and the like can do in the NFL. He doesn't need them there at the start of camp, and they aren't so valuable that he is worried about them being signed by someone else, and not available to GB. If that happens, he will just look for the next available option.

Bretsky
07-22-2012, 09:16 PM

How'd that philosophy work out on the DL last year when we failed to bring in better talent that the slouches we ended the season with ?
I'm not suggesting the backup RB's and Safeties are J.A.G.s but it's not as simple as you try to make it to be

pbmax
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
How'd that philosophy work out on the DL last year when we failed to bring in better talent that the slouches we ended the season with ?
I'm not suggesting the backup RB's and Safeties are J.A.G.s but it's not as simple as you try to make it to be

Actually I think it is, though I could always be wrong about an individual. These guys are on the street precisely because they are just guys at this point. Either they are not healthy, or they will be signing for the veteran minimum because they are replacement level players. I doubt that even the names available last year would have provided much of a boost to the defense last year. The differences in effectiveness is marginal and the new, young guys might have upside.

Think of the young guys the Packers have let go before and succeeded elsewhere, Jerald Sowell, that TE that Tuna claimed in Miami, Hunter Hillenmeyer, etc.

EDS, Tauscher, Driver, Williams, Shields, Zombo and Jones would not be on the roster if old vets had been signed and took their snaps away. Its not a coincidence that the Packers keep finding contributors in UDFAs. There is a spot for them to compete.

rbaloha1
07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Worth a look given the poor safety play last season.

Brandon494
07-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Jim Leonhard is not what we need, we need a FS to replace Collins. We already have our strong safety in Burnett.

rbaloha1
07-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Jim Leonhard is not what we need, we need a FS to replace Collins. We already have our strong safety in Burnett.

Maybe Burnett is a free safety. Anyway labels in Capers scheme are unremarkable. JL is worth a look.

IMO Woodson should be moved to a Polomalu type role.

Fritz
07-25-2012, 06:01 AM
There are enough safeties to look at right now. They've got to find out what they've got in MD Jennings, Anthony Levine, and this McMillian kid.

Sometimes I think people get too excited about names. Jim Leonhard today is not the Jim Leonhard of three or four years ago.