PDA

View Full Version : Jim Schwartz is really starting to piss me off.

sheepshead
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Packers coach Mike McCarthy appreciates Jim Schwartz’s concern about how the Green Bay Packers used their allotted minicamp practices, but the Packers coach feels pretty good about his decision to cancel a day of practice last month to take his players skeet shooting as a team-bonding exercise, ESPNMilwaukee reports.

That move drew a not-so-thinly veiled shot from Schwartz, who had his Detroit Lions practice all three days.

“We had no sporting clays today or no amusement parks or water parks. Work day of minicamp," Schwartz said following the Lions’ final practice of minicamp last month. “We take a lot of pride in the fact that we play for a blue-collar town and we try to reflect that kind of work ethic, and we have very few opportunities to practice this off-season. ... Every one was crucial and couldn’t afford to waste any."

McCarthy was clearly aware of Schwartz’s comment when he was asked about the Packers’ budding rivalry with the upstart Lions on Thursday during an appearance on Green & Gold Today.

“Their approach is really tailored to the way they go about their business, starting with their head coach,” McCarthy said. “I don’t know what the problem with skeet shooting is; I thought that was probably one of the best events we’ve ever had here.”

This guy is quickly becoming one of the NFL's biggest jerks.

Tony Oday
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Ignore him. They havent won shit and they wont win shit with Glass Joe at QB and WR.

smuggler
07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Schwartz is a jealous douche. Not a news item.

ThunderDan
07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Packers coach Mike McCarthy appreciates Jim Schwartz’s concern about how the Green Bay Packers used their allotted minicamp practices, but the Packers coach feels pretty good about his decision to cancel a day of practice last month to take his players skeet shooting as a team-bonding exercise, ESPNMilwaukee reports.

That move drew a not-so-thinly veiled shot from Schwartz, who had his Detroit Lions practice all three days.

“We had no sporting clays today or no amusement parks or water parks. Work day of minicamp," Schwartz said following the Lions’ final practice of minicamp last month. “We take a lot of pride in the fact that we play for a blue-collar town and we try to reflect that kind of work ethic, and we have very few opportunities to practice this off-season. ... Every one was crucial and couldn’t afford to waste any."

McCarthy was clearly aware of Schwartz’s comment when he was asked about the Packers’ budding rivalry with the upstart Lions on Thursday during an appearance on Green & Gold Today.

“Their approach is really tailored to the way they go about their business, starting with their head coach,” McCarthy said. “I don’t know what the problem with skeet shooting is; I thought that was probably one of the best events we’ve ever had here.”

This guy is quickly becoming one of the NFL's biggest jerks.

It took you this long to figure it out? :-P

Schwartz's style is well reflected by his team. They get stupid personal foul penalties and they get arrested all the time. No discipline. Schwartz's run-in with Harbaugh was a perfect example. You don't have to like the way Hatbaugh handled the handshake but you don't run after the guy yelling.

I always appreciated Bud Grant's style of no spiking the football and acting like you have been there before.

sharpe1027
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the bulletin board material Schwartzy.

sheepshead
07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
It took you this long to figure it out? :-P

Schwartz's style is well reflected by his team. They get stupid personal foul penalties and they get arrested all the time. No discipline. Schwartz's run-in with Harbaugh was a perfect example. You don't have to like the way Hatbaugh handled the handshake but you don't run after the guy yelling.

I always appreciated Bud Grant's style of no spiking the football and acting like you have been there before.

No, Ive known it for a while. Yes I like the Grant analogy. This guy is trying to fit into that mold, maybe Ditka.. but he's too much of a wienie to pull it off. He acts like an over-the-top pee wee football dad. This obviously permeates throughout his team, thus they are going nowhere with this guy.

MadtownPacker
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
He should try talking shit about teams that didn't sweep his team last season.

Lurker64
07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I enjoyed this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ab0719/article/mike-mccarthy-responds-lions-take-after-jim-schwartz

"I don’t really worry about what other people do. I don’t pay much attention to their clips. Like every team, you have media clips put on your desk every day, and I don’t really pay (attention to) mine. I worry about who’s playing for them and how they’re playing and what we need to do to beat them,” McCarthy said.

Translation: We're in your head. Keep our name out of your mouth.

Translation: The Lions are undisciplined, like their coach.

“Just the interaction with the policemen and the players was excellent. You were literally handed a gun, pulled the trigger and handed it back to the police officer. That part of it was in place for the safety,” McCarthy said.

Translation: When we interact with cops, our players don't end up in handcuffs.

Freak Out
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
LOL. :)

King Friday
07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
The Lions players get their skeet shooting in at their 'hood in the offseason.

Schwartz has penis envy, and it's only going to get worse when the Bears prove to be the true #2 team in the division this season.

Fritz
07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
No, Ive known it for a while. Yes I like the Grant analogy. This guy is trying to fit into that mold, maybe Ditka.. but he's too much of a wienie to pull it off. He acts like an over-the-top pee wee football dad. This obviously permeates throughout his team, thus they are going nowhere with this guy.

Absolutely perfect description, right there.

George Cumby
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Hehehehehe......

Brando19
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/20/mike-mccarthy-fires-back-at-jim-schwartzs-criticism/

And mark another one blasted out of the sky for Mike McCarthy.

The Packers coach fired back at criticism from counterpart Jim Schwartz of the Lions Thursday, and actually killed two birds with one shot.

Back in June, Schwartz took a poke at the Packers for canceling a day of OTAs to go skeet shooting.

“We had no sporting clays today or no amusement parks or water parks. Work day of minicamp,” Schwartz said following the Lions’ final practice of minicamp last month. “We take a lot of pride in the fact that we play for a blue-collar town and we try to reflect that kind of work ethic, and we have very few opportunities to practice this off-season. . . . Every one was crucial and couldn’t afford to waste any.”

So when McCarthy appeared on Green and Gold Today on ESPNMilwaukee radio, and was asked about the rivalry between the Lions and Packers, he scored a pair of shots.

Here’s where it gets good. McCarthy then explained that the event had police officers at each station handling the guns, so the Packers were sure to be safe.

“Just the interaction with the policemen and the players was excellent. You were literally handed a gun, pulled the trigger and handed it back to the police officer. That part of it was in place for the safety,” McCarthy said. “But it was really a neat day. We’ve tried some different things, and by far it was our best group dynamic/team building event that we had. I actually got a chuckle out of hearing someone else worried about us taking our team skeet shooting.”

So, apparently the Packers can be around cops without being placed in the back of their cars, which the Lions have had a bit of trouble with this offseason.

McCarthy went onto talk about not getting caught up in the back-and-forth of bulletin board material, saying he’d prefer to focus on the football.

He then paused and said: “We have a lot of confidence in the way we run our program, and we’re always trying to make it better. And I think skeet shooting is going to be the difference in us getting back to the Super Bowl. So there.”

Oh my.

Pugger
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

No kidding! :lol:

Iron Mike
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM
LOL.....skeet shooting. :)

pbmax
07-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope he keeps talking and distracting his own team. Even Suh said recently they have to be more accountable but Jim doesn't seem to operate with that in mind.

MJZiggy
07-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Even Suh said recently they have to be more accountable but Jim doesn't seem to operate with that in mind.

And that's ok with me...

pbmax
07-22-2012, 09:14 AM
They REALLY need to go skeet shooting soon.

Lion's Aaron Berry Arrested on Assault Charge (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/22/lions-aaron-berry-arrested-on-three-counts-of-simple-assault/)

There has to be a typo somewhere in their study material for camp.

"Make sure you arrest any bad habits before camp..."

denverYooper
07-22-2012, 09:39 AM
They REALLY need to go skeet shooting soon.

Lion's Aaron Berry Arrested on Assault Charge (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/22/lions-aaron-berry-arrested-on-three-counts-of-simple-assault/)

There has to be a typo somewhere in their study material for camp.

"Make sure you arrest any bad habits before camp..."

The Lions are responsible for 7 out of 29 offseason arrests. Schwartz might want to re-think his managerial approach.

Joemailman
07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Lions are starting to remind me a bit of the Gregg Packers. When you teach aggression but don't stress discipline, you end up with trouble both on and off the field. When Schwartz was the DC at Tennessee, I often thought they were on the edge between aggressive and undisciplined on defense. Maybe Fisher was able to rein that in just enough. The head coach sets the tone, and right now the Lions have to wrong tone.

RashanGary
07-22-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not so certain Schwartz is going to continue on his current path. I heard an interview from an assistant coach who worked with McCarthy. He said he's surprised MM made it as well as he did with the temper he used to have. Said MM was a real hot head. MM cooled down, and became a great coach.

Schwartz is a young guy. He deserves a chance to grow. And the Lions can easily learn from their character draft mistakes. . . .

Stafford is good, maybe more. They have some real talent. They can go one way, the other or stay the same. I kind of have my money on them, but not quiet yet. I think they have a couple lessons to learn before they can be great.

And for the record, I like Schwartz too. He was asked about the Packers minicamp approach. He doesn't want to hear about the Packers. He just said what came to his mind, needed a little bit of a filter there. AS good of a coach Schwartz is, I like his chances of cleaning up some of the rough edges.

MM was probably sick of hearing about Favre, but they had a media manipulation expert teach them how to handle tough situations. They've really taken that with them and been on point with their media relations. . . . These guys are competitive, they're mans men. They're scrappers, they have tempers, they have a ruthless edge to them. Just have to hide it, and they'll avoid the drama.

VegasPackFan
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
The Lions have a discipline and character problem. It starts with the coach. Look at Calvin Johnson - that guy is a model NFL citizen, great player and you NEVER hear about him off the field. He apparently has no influence over the rest of the team though. That is a problem.

Everyone that plays the Lions has a strategy to "take them out of their game". Keep goading and egging them on until they snap and do something stupid.

These arrests certainly show that the lions do not consider character when drafting/signing players and that Schwartz and his staff have no attention to helping these guys become men and use their status for something positive.

Lurker64
07-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I think the Lions discipline problems starts with the GM. It's not a surprise that guys like LeShoure, Fairley, and Titus Young are problem children. I think some of the culpability has to fall on the guy who drafted those guys (in a single draft!). It's not like the "we'll ignore character and focus on talent" approach to personnel management has a long, successful track record.

pbmax
07-22-2012, 01:10 PM
PR and hiding a temper only explain the coach's public comments. They don't tell you much about what the players are up to. Is it a matter of scouting and evaluation or do they actively encourage this inside the Lions offices and practice fields? I would say the Lions player acquisitions and public demonstrations show that Schwartz lack of experience in controlling himself is augmented in two ways. He clearly sides with a branch of the coaching tree that pushes violence on field to a level not matched by many outifts (Ryan/Fisher/Williams). And don't forget Gunther Cunningham, who has his own out of control defense in Kansas City with Marty Schottenheimer. Remember the game when Wayne Simmons and Derrick Thomas both got ejected?

As for player acquisition, they brought Cortland Finnegan in*. I am less familiar with the Lions drafting of marginal behavior, but I would not be surprised if they were not at all afraid of college trouble (Nick Fairley).

McCarthy did have to master that temper to advance, as he has said on numerous times. Schwartz have never addressed mastering his anger (publicly, anyway). Tough to change in the spotlight. He has the money, motivation and resources now to avoid the consequences until they cost him his job.

Ari Fleischer and an unknown therapist have their work cut out for them.

* EDIT: Wrong. I thought they pursued him, but they don't appear even to have done much of that. So toss out that example.

Patler
07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't think Schwartz is the young, wet-behind-the-ears coach that some try to make him out to be. If he was going to mature, he should have done it a long, long time ago. He is 46 years old. He has been a head coach for three seasons, was an NFL d-coordinator for 8 years, and an NFL scout and assistant for 6 years before that.

McCarthy is only 2+ years older at 48, (49 in November). He has 6 years as a head coach, and was an NFL coordinator for five seasons. Seven years of NFL experience before that.

They are at virtually the same stages of their careers, and their lives. Both have 11 years as a HC or coordinator. MM has one more year of NFL experience than Schwartz does.

I don't expect Schwartz to change anymore than Forrest Gregg did. Gregg was 42 when he became a HC and the issues and attitudes that plagued him early were the same as he brought to the Packers in his early 50s.

King Friday
07-22-2012, 03:14 PM
McCarthy may have been a hot head, but I can't see him EVER allowing a player to play dirty like Schwartz clearly allowed from Suh.

I don't see some kind career resurrection from Schwartz. I actually see things going the other way, because he STILL clearly hasn't learned to control himself or his players.

Joemailman
07-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Detroit has too much talent for Schwartz to fail completely. Jerry Glanville might be a good comparison.

sheepshead
07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
What Schwartz doesnt understand is he is an executive of a $500 million enterprise. That Harbaugh stuff was sophomoric. Coordinators can get away with certain things, NFL head coaches cannot. We have seen lots of guys that get promoted only to realize they are better life long coordinators for whatever reason. Schwartz is one of those guys IMO.

MJZiggy
07-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh guys! You're just all so full of preseason feel-good kool-aid. But don't stop on my account. I'm loving this. And my thoughts are that the HC is supposed to be the example of class of the players to follow. I guess in this case, they follow his lead well. I wonder how many suspensions they'll be looking at this season with the reputation they're getting...

Bretsky
07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Stepping into the Kool Aide with muddy shoes, Bretsky would like to point out that the GB and Detroit teams were the same spot when the final game was played. This drivel means little to me; just go win the Big Show like you did two years ago and then as all you have to say is Scoreboard

Cheesehead Craig
07-22-2012, 11:16 PM
McCarthy may have been a hot head, but I can't see him EVER allowing a player to play dirty like Schwartz clearly allowed from Suh.

I may not like ND, but my best memory of when Holtz was there and he grabbed a player's facemask and yanked him off the field and then berated him for fighting after a play was done. It was awesome and showed that stupid shit like that wouldn't be tolerated. Nowadays he would get fired for that and that's a shame.

Fritz
07-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Remember when MM first started here, how the penalties were a problem? It took him a couple what, three years, to get that fixed? I wonder if the problem was the type of players he had initially, and getting the "right kind" of player fixed the the problem, or if something else changed. And will the Lions go through that same maturation?

Little Whiskey
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Remember when MM first started here, how the penalties were a problem? It took him a couple what, three years, to get that fixed? I wonder if the problem was the type of players he had initially, and getting the "right kind" of player fixed the the problem, or if something else changed. And will the Lions go through that same maturation?

I always thought it was due to pad level.

Tony Oday
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
The Lions are done. They had their chance last year and it was their best one. Stafford wont make it past game 4 this year.

smuggler
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
The Lions just cut CB Aaron Berry after his latest arrest. That's a pretty big deal, because he was going to be starting for them in 2012.

Tony Oday
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
A starting CB on the Lions couldnt get a scholarship from The MN Gophers.

smuggler
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, now they're down 2 of their corners from last season - Eric Wright (signed w/ Tampa) and Aaron Berry. The signed Jacob Lacey (previously with Indy) and drafted 3; Dwight Bentley, Christ Greenwood, and Jonte Green.

They really need one of those guys to pan out.

Tony Oday
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I am alright if none of them pan out :)

Little Whiskey
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I am alright if none of them pan out :)

like Ahmad Carrol and Joey Thomas.

Pugger
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM

There is a difference between game penalties and unsportsman-like conduct penalties like Suh stomping on a player's head.

Cheesehead Craig
07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
There is a difference between game penalties and unsportsman-like conduct penalties like Suh stomping on a player's head.

That was clearly to the arm. You're such a drama queen.

Joemailman
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
The Lions just cut CB Aaron Berry after his latest arrest. That's a pretty big deal, because he was going to be starting for them in 2012.

This is at least an acknowledgement that they recognize they have a real problem. A loud message being sent out to the rest of their players.

pbmax
07-23-2012, 07:01 PM
They dropped the felony charges on Berry. Wonder if the Lions want a mulligan?

Pugger
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
That was clearly to the arm. You're such a drama queen.

Suh just missed his target, that's all. :lol:

Fritz
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
I can't stand those bastards. I am hoping for more of them to get arrested.

cheesner
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I can't stand those bastards. I am hoping for more of them to get arrested.Hopefully the coach. Which reminds me, wasn't a Lion coach arrested for naked DUI? Maybe that was before the Schwartz era.

Little Whiskey
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Hopefully the coach. Which reminds me, wasn't a Lion coach arrested for naked DUI? Maybe that was before the Schwartz era.

please dont tell me it was wayne fontes!

Joemailman
07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Hopefully the coach. Which reminds me, wasn't a Lion coach arrested for naked DUI? Maybe that was before the Schwartz era.

DL coach Joe Cullen in 2006 http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/lions/2006-09-07-assistant-arrests_x.htm

Patler
07-24-2012, 03:16 PM

DL coach Joe Cullen in 2006 http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/lions/2006-09-07-assistant-arrests_x.htm

Current d-line coach at Jacksonville.

smuggler
07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
He was wasted at home (good idea, relatively) but went out for a burger run (bad idea). The naked part is humorous, but not nearly as bad as the drunk driving part.

Fritz
07-25-2012, 05:57 AM
I've heard there are places you can go to online and bet on anything at all. I'd bet that Louis Delmas is the next Lion to get arrested. Followed by Andre Levy.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
That would make for some sad Lions fans. Louis Delmas is the only decent secondary guy they have. They also have Houston at CB, who is at least halfway decent.