PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to suck?

BobDobbs
07-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Some people say that we'll never see a player like Barry Sanders again. That may be true and we may never see another player like Tony Mandarich again. A player with so much hype that amounted to so little.

This thread is my antidote to all the pre-season powder puff pieces that we're going to be flooded with this next month. We know that some of these new guys will make it, but definitely not all of them. For every Greg Jennings or Clay Matthews there's a Brian Brohm or Pat Lee. Or even a guy like Ricky Elmore. A sixth rounder getting cut is not a big deal. But, he still sucked.

So, who's it going to be this year. Which of the new rookies is going to come in and underwhelm us all?

BobDobbs
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
We haven't gotten to see any them play so this is all wild speculation. Things may change when we get to watch some pre-season games. But right now the guy I'm most worried about is Nick Perry. He's going to have a tough time making the transition positionally. But, more than that, when I watch him play he just seems passive. He tries to use his speed almost exclusively. With his base he should be knocking some people back on occasion. I know it's too early, but at this point I see him as Jeremy Thompson 2.0. A guy with the build, but not the ferocity to play Linebacker in the NFL.

But I also thought that Aaron Rodgers didn't have the leadership capacity to thrive, so obviously I'm very wrong sometimes.

Guiness
07-24-2012, 12:14 AM
We already know who sucks...Slocum! Fire the bum! Is it Wednesday yet? :)

I think Lawrence Guy isn't going to make it to the roster or the PS. I know he wasn't drafted this year, but I should get a pass because he didn't have a chance to suck last year.

From this year's draft, the guy who's the biggest unknown has to be McMillian. Classic small school pick by TT, no film on him anywhere, who knows if he'll suck of not!

hoosier
07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Good thread. I am a little worried that Nick Perry might suck. In part because of the uncertainty surrounding his ability to transition to playing in space, because with Matthews on the other side, Perry will not be rushing every down. But also because "pass rusher" seems to have a high bust rate.

Joemailman
07-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Come on Bob! This is Kool-Aid season! I have my doubts that Datko's injury history will stay in the past. He might never be a player.

Brandon494
07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
AJ Hawk

Pugger
07-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Ask us again in August after a game or two has been played.

ThunderDan
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
So, who's it going to be this year. Which of the new rookies is going to come in and underwhelm us all?

AJ Hawk

We already know your feelings on Hawk. Please follow the instructions at least for the 1st 20 posts.

I think Mike Daniels will struggle this year. Maybe he makes the roster but he is game day inactive all year.

Brandon494
07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
It was a joke but since you asked so nicely I honestly don't see any of these rookies getting cut. I see every single one of them either making the roster or P.S. I guess two players who I think will struggle early will be McMillian and Daniels. McMillian because most rookies struggle their first year playing safety, just like Sharper and Collins who also came from small schools. Daniels because hes switching positions, his size, and hes coming off an injury.

smuggler
07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm going to say the biggest chance to bust would be Nick Perry.

Patler
07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Daniels could very well be on the roster and inactive for much of the season. Datko, too. Both may not be ready physically due to injuries, but might be difficult to get through to the practice squad. It will be interesting to see if either fails their physical at the start of camp, and therefore might be candidates to start the season on PUP.

I get no feel for what to expect from Perry at all, simply because the professional opinions about him as an individual and as a player are all over the place. He plays hard, he doesn't play hard. He doesn't translate well to a 3-4 OLB, he could be a monster at OLB in a 3-4. He will work hard at the transition, he hates the idea of not being a DE.

So, who will absolutely suck? My bet is Marc Tyler. I know, he is an undrafted rookie free agent; but I really don't see why he was signed. He is slow, has a checkered past and some have questioned his commitment and character. I expect he will be gone quickly.

Brandon494
07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm with you on Marc Tyler, only way I see him even making the practice squad is if he shows he can protect the QB.

Patler
07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm with you on Marc Tyler, only way I see him even making the practice squad is if he shows he can protect the QB.

That is about the only signing during TT's tenure that has made me say, "Huh???"
Usually, you can see something behind the signing. An incredible athlete with marginal experience or coaching, a real football talent who had injuries, a high effort guy with borderline talent, etc. I have been unable to come up with anything for the signing of Tyler over the many other available RBs, other than the family connection of his father having been a good NFL player.

Smidgeon
07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I think this is the first year I'm on board for the entire draft class. I'm not a prognosticator by any means, but I've got a good feeling about all of them. The one I'm feeling the least though is Datko. And if he doesn't make it, it will be due to injury and not ability (at least that's what you guys have been telling me).

As for the undrafteds, there are so many of them, where do you start?

rbaloha1
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Ditto on Hawk.

IMO all the rookies make the roster or practice squad. Disagree about Perry. Starter with double digit sacks. USC pride prevents any bust potential.

Upnorth
07-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Of our drafted rookies, I worry the most about Perry. The questions of his fitting into a 3-4 as mentioned above is part of it. TH eother question of his motivation is another part of it. Finally if our pass rush fails I worry for the season again.

BobDobbs
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Ask us again in August after a game or two has been played.

Yeah kinda chomping at the bit and this will be good to revisit after we have more of an idea of what we're talking about. But its the eve of training camp and a great time for rampant speculation. Plus if you're right about someone being good or bad before they prove it, then you get more props.

This thread is a dash of bitters in a cocktail.

BobDobbs
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
That is about the only signing during TT's tenure that has made me say, "Huh???"
Usually, you can see something behind the signing. An incredible athlete with marginal experience or coaching, a real football talent who had injuries, a high effort guy with borderline talent, etc. I have been unable to come up with anything for the signing of Tyler over the many other available RBs, other than the family connection of his father having been a good NFL player.

Yes on Marc "with a c" Taylor.

I read a quote from him saying something to the effect of 'I'm not going to outrun after anybody after 30 yards, but I can bust through a hole at the line.'
When have you ever heard a guy say 'oh, I'll get caught from behind every day of the week.' That's crazy.

Except now that we triple reverse cursed him he's probably going to make the team.

sharpe1027
07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Jerel Worthy has my vote. Nothing personal, but on the average DL seem to bust quite often.

I think Perry will be fine, but he worries me the most because the need for additional pass rush is #1 on the list.

Joemailman
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
We haven't gotten to see any them play so this is all wild speculation. Things may change when we get to watch some pre-season games. But right now the guy I'm most worried about is Nick Perry. He's going to have a tough time making the transition positionally. But, more than that, when I watch him play he just seems passive. He tries to use his speed almost exclusively. With his base he should be knocking some people back on occasion. I know it's too early, but at this point I see him as Jeremy Thompson 2.0. A guy with the build, but not the ferocity to play Linebacker in the NFL.

But I also thought that Aaron Rodgers didn't have the leadership capacity to thrive, so obviously I'm very wrong sometimes.

If he's coachable, his style will change. Greene will not be coaching him to go around people, but to go through people. The comparison to Thompson may be a legitimate one, but Thompson had stinger problems which may have tempered his aggressiveness.

Patler
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes on Marc "with a c" Taylor.

...and isn't it Tyler "without an a" !! :smile: :smile: :smile:

smuggler
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Thompson was actually pretty decent looking before his neck issue became too glaring to ignore.

Guiness
07-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Forgot about him, and ya, he's a head scratcher.

I also worry about Perry. I saw one article that said he wanted to stay a DE, with his hand in the dirt. It reminded me of Kampman's feelings at the time he was switched over.

Fritz
07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Forgot about him, and ya, he's a head scratcher.

I also worry about Perry. I saw one article that said he wanted to stay a DE, with his hand in the dirt. It reminded me of Kampman's feelings at the time he was switched over.

Don't forget this thread is about who's going to suck. Mike Da iels gets my vote. He's going to suck incessantly. McMillan will suck this year as a safety, but will improve next year.

BobDobbs
07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
If he's coachable, his style will change. Greene will not be coaching him to go around people, but to go through people. The comparison to Thompson may be a legitimate one, but Thompson had stinger problems which may have tempered his aggressiveness.

That's a really good point. If you wanted a coach to teach aggressive physicality at the linebacker position, you'd want Kevin Greene.

LP
07-24-2012, 06:06 PM
USC pride prevents any bust potential.

Matt Leinart?

rbaloha1
07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Matt Leinart?

Let me clarify: Matthews, Cushing, Maluaga and Maiva. Ken Norton as a USC preaches the pride.

Leinart does not possess that USC pride. Perry shall be a beast and a day one starter.

Iron Mike
07-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Who's going to suck???

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kOzoCq_VYbE/ThUuPEBDWII/AAAAAAAABD4/uQapp6f4MEQ/s400/megamaid-spaceballs.jpg

Brando19
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
I know he's not a first round star draft pick...but I believe Graham Harrell's going to suck. If Rodgers' goes down...we're in big, big trouble.

Pugger
07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
We'd be in big trouble no matter who we have back there if Rodgers goes down.

wootah
07-25-2012, 02:47 AM

Thompson had those issues since day 1; he had the "looks like tarzan/plays like cutler" label already at draft day. He was a physical specimen, but it seems his mindset didn't match that of his job description.

BobDobbs
07-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Don't forget this thread is about who's going to suck. Mike Da iels gets my vote. He's going to suck incessantly. McMillan will suck this year as a safety, but will improve next year.

The thing you have to realize about Daniels is he's actually a dwarf. People say he's short, but that's just by human standards. He's actually a really tall dwarf. Just look at him. He's got mad dwarf strength.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/487721_10150950762815073_1268908479_n.jpg

Fritz
07-25-2012, 05:53 AM
By God you're right. He's a dwarf. He and Mason Crosby could start a club.

wootah
07-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I heard somewhere that dwarves have good pad level.

hoosier
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9627/sampsongenus.jpg

Daniels is no dwarf. Here is your real dwarf. Silverstein predicts that if Saturday goes down, it will be Sampson Genus and not EDS who fills his shoes.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
EDS is probably better suited to play guard. He played pretty well last year, but I pray neither Lang nor Sitton go down.

George Cumby
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
The thing you have to realize about Daniels is he's actually a dwarf. People say he's short, but that's just by human standards. He's actually a really tall dwarf. Just look at him. He's got mad dwarf strength.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/487721_10150950762815073_1268908479_n.jpg

Now if we can get opposing team's OL to dress as orcs, we're in business.+3 Damage versus Giant Class!

Seriously, though. Look how long his arms are compared to his short torso. He is going to be hard to block.

BobDobbs
07-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Now if we can get opposing team's OL to dress as orcs, we're in business.+3 Damage versus Giant Class!

Seriously, though. Look how long his arms are compared to his short torso. He is going to be hard to block.

And it looks like he hides a bunch of snacks under his jersey, too. Good for keeping up the stamina during the fourth quarter.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Daniels and Genus are body-type oddities. That's awesome. Saturday, too, really.

Bossman641
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Marc Tyler will suck

Manning and Perry will disappoint

rbaloha1
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Daniels and Genus are body-type oddities. That's awesome. Saturday, too, really.

Meaningless -- recall bag of donuts, tauscher and jurkovich.

Upnorth
07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Now that I have more info, I predict Quarless will have a meaningless season for the pack.:razz:

Fritz
07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Up until the end of the season, when he rounds into form and becomes a great blocker and pass-catching threat opposite Finley in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Tom Taylor - or is it Ryan Crabtree? - becomes as useless as a eunuch's penis.

sharpe1027
07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Up until the end of the season, when he rounds into form and becomes a great blocker and pass-catching threat opposite Finley in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Tom Taylor - or is it Ryan Crabtree? - becomes as useless as a eunuch's penis.

So still somewhat useful?

Fritz
07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
And they're off! Here at the 2012 Training Camp Suckage Derby, Sam Shields breaks fast out of the gate and leads the Pack!

Pugger
07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes, I've been hearing discouraging things about Shields too. :-(

smuggler
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM

I definitely agree. I wasn't trying to make that point. In fact, the crazier the body, the better afaic.

pbmax
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM

2 for 2. Its a wonder all teams don't draft the oddities.

pbmax
07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Thompson has struggled with the D line at times in his draft, but 1st versus 4th round would seem to be a world of difference between Thompson (Wake Forest/ACC) and Perry (USC/Pac10-12). But we won't know until he hits someone. If he can play in a game, hit someone and not get injured, he will have surpassed Thompson.

As for suck, I am going for Daniels. He would seem to project for pass rush only and has a bum shoulder that Packers would not risk in OTAs or minicamp. The track record of young players treated like that isn't good. Even Matthews seems to see the field for a practice or two before finding a way out of practice.

smuggler
07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Not sure if I agree, but this is one testimonial about how much Shea McClellin is going to suck. Pulled from a general football forum with pretty knowledgeable users and (relatively) unbiased posting.

took my annual trip to Bears camp over the weekend and was going to write up what I saw with the rookies but holy shit I cannot get Shea McLellin out of my head.

The guy is tiny. He's listed as 6'3, 260, but he looks closer to 225. Judging by the few times I saw him on tv, he hasn't gained a pound of muscle since the draft. This is going to be a huge problem if he wants to play a down at DE this year.

And it showed. He lined up against the third team and was getting absolutely dominated. Some camp fodder tackle pancaked him once and had his way with him the rest of practice. Some of the people around me, not knowing who he was, wondered if he'd even make the team. I know it's just the first few days at camp, but this wasn't a bad practice session-he is not NFL ready at this time.

He is fast-much faster than Israel Idonoije anyway. This is fine if they plan on using him as a gunner, but Lovie has never done that. He doesn't have any good moves to make up for his total lack of strength either. He's getting first team special team reps, so at least he'll see the field, but he was the 19th pick on a team that wants to contend this year.

Pugger
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TT really got skunked when Harrell didn't pan out, Jolly got suspended, Montgomery was JAG, J. Thompson had to quit because of a neck injury and then Neal got hurt so he couldn't replace Jenkins. Maybe our luck on the D line will now change. Daniels has shown promise in college and I have a feeling Worthy is gonna be a good one. :-)

BobDobbs
08-31-2012, 01:18 AM
"But right now the guy I'm most worried about is Nick Perry. He's going to have a tough time making the transition positionally. But, more than that, when I watch him play he just seems passive. He tries to use his speed almost exclusively. With his base he should be knocking some people back on occasion. I know it's too early, but at this point I see him as Jeremy Thompson 2.0. A guy with the build, but not the ferocity to play Linebacker in the NFL." -Me

I'm bumping this thread to apologize to Nick Perry. I know that like all Packer players and staff he is on this board.
Mr. Perry: You do not suck. I have no idea how good you are going to be, but you do not suck and you do not play soft. Enjoy giving harm to Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford.

Marc Tyler: You do not suck at football, but you do suck at running fast. Unfortunately you will have to pay to go to NFL games just like everyone else.