PDA

View Full Version : Which 2011 Non-Starter(s) Will Be A Starter In 2012?

Joemailman
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Much of the focus has been on the rookies coming in, but the Packers are always looking for young players to step up, especially guys in their 2nd and 3rd years.

Pick up to 3 non-starters from last year who will become starters in 2012.

Note: Although Jordy Nelson was not technically a starter in 2011, I considered him a starter since he was without question the #2 WR.

Joemailman
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I went with M.D. Jennings, James Starks and Mike Neal.

Smidgeon
07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I went with Starks and Shields. Starks because I'm not sold on Green yet. And Shields because in base, Woodson will be the safety. And I think Shields will rebound.

I think McMillan will be the new safety, although not until midway through the year unless he just goes lights out.

BobDobbs
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
The hardest part about this question is what defines a starter? Is it the person who takes the first snap of the game or the one who takes the most snaps in a game? We play so many downs with 3 cbs that we could consider our nickle back a starter. But I thought about in a standard 3-4-4 alignment just to make it easier.

I agree that Shields is going to get clicked in on the outside and no one is going to take that spot from him. To keep Woodson on the field they'll drop him back to safety when he isn't in the slot. But the majority of snaps Tramon, Wood, and Shields will all play CB, so de facto we will have to find out who our second starter is at safety even if he won't play in the base.

McMillian's got the measurables and his last name makes me think that he's gonna make some money, so maybe he'll be the one to take that spot.

I also think that Mike Neal is going to take over the 3rd DE spot when he comes back, but that is mainly because I have dumb ideas and I won't someone to redeem the Justin Harrell saga.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I started to vote James Starks, then caught myself, "that's the obvious choice, leave it to the faint-hearted." Went to Derrick Sherrod out of wishful thinking. On the way, I saw Evan Dietrich-Smith and remembered that expiration date has arrrived for Jeff Saturday, go with that guy.

rbaloha1
07-24-2012, 06:42 PM
D.J. Smith for AJ Hawk.

Hawk with zero impact plays in 2011 shall be replaced by Smith who will make more impact plays and possesses the ability to call the defensive signals.

Desmond Bishop II gets the starting call.

smuggler
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Hawk had one awesome play last year. All ball, defensed a Brees pass in the season opener that was intended for Sproles, to win the game. Refs botched it and called it DPI and gave the Saints one last chance from the 1.

Pugger
07-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Starks will probably start out the season as the starter but how long will he last before he is injured again?

BobDobbs
07-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Hawk had one awesome play last year. All ball, defensed a Brees pass in the season opener that was intended for Sproles, to win the game. Refs botched it and called it DPI and gave the Saints one last chance from the 1.

It must have broken his heart. That's when he decided it just wasn't worth it to make any more big plays. It's become a point of pride.

Fritz
07-25-2012, 05:55 AM
I voted for Mad Dog Jennings. Big heart, enough time in the system to "get it," and a bit more talent that Chuck Peprah.

Joemailman
07-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Peprah released. The votes for M.D. Jennings looking pretty good.

denverYooper
07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Alex Green and Anthony Levine.

rbaloha1
07-26-2012, 11:43 AM

True -- it was a bad call. Hawk does not play with a lot of confidence and lacks lb instincts.

Tony Oday
07-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Alex Green and Sam Shields.

Starks is going to be hurt in the preseason

smuggler
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Woodson is the SS in the base defense, Levine the FS in the nickel. Good call to people who picked Levine. (Thus far, anyway.)

King Friday
07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Alex Green me. The kid has more athletic ability in his pinky than Starks has in his entire body. If Green can flash any ability to get on the edge and make plays as a receiver, he'll be starting in no time. Starks is just a guy IMO.

Joemailman
07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Alex Green me. The kid has more athletic ability in his pinky than Starks has in his entire body. If Green can flash any ability to get on the edge and make plays as a receiver, he'll be starting in no time. Starks is just a guy IMO.

Green is a very good receiver. In college, he ran out of a spread offense. I think the bigger question is whether he can make the right reads and cuts when running inside.

rbaloha1
07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Green is a very good receiver. In college, he ran out of a spread offense. I think the bigger question is whether he can make the right reads and cuts when running inside.

Valid question. The run and shoot offense Green ran from was a one back set with the pass setting up the run.

Defenses were more concerned with Salas (Rams) and Pilares (Panthers). As a result, Green oftentimes ran in wide open gaps.

Last season, I also watched Green slowly adjust to playing with a fullback. Its just a short matter of time the light goes on and Green becomes the guy.

George Cumby
07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Valid question. The run and shoot offense Green ran from was a one back set with the pass setting up the run.

Defenses were more concerned with Salas (Rams) and Pilares (Panthers). As a result, Green oftentimes ran in wide open gaps.

Last season, I also watched Green slowly adjust to playing with a fullback. Its just a short matter of time the light goes on and Green becomes the guy.

IIRC, there was a screen play to Green that made me say "Wowsers!", had he just been a little more patient with his blocks it would have been a TD.

Brandon494
07-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Starks is more than just a guy, his problem is staying healthy. Hopefully that will change this season, I think both these guys are going to make a nice 1-2 punch in the running game.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Starks is more than just a guy, his problem is staying healthy.
I don't know. He's fun to watch because he has some burst. He still has a lot to prove with vision and elusiveness. He's the kind of a back that can turn a 5 yard run into a 5½ yard run. I was the president of the James Starks Fan Club, but I've sorta taken that off my resume. If Starks picks it up a little, I'll be right back on the bandwagon.

wootah
07-27-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm putting my money on a breakout season for Ryan Taylor. Jermichael will be number 1, but with Quarless out I see Taylor becoming the number 2.

smuggler
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Hopefully Taylor can block. I think they are expecting better offensive production from DJ Williams

sharpe1027
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Starks, Shields and Jennings. Shields and Starks were basically starters last year anyway. Assuming no injuries, Starks is already the front runner and will likely start the season over either Green or Saine. One of them might over take him, but I doubt it will be right away. Shields already plays most downs. Whether or not he is technically a starter is just a formal matter.

Jennings is a hopeful vote. I'd like to see someone step up at safety. That should allow Woodson to lineup anywhere on the field on any given play.

Smidgeon
07-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Starks, Shields and Jennings. Shields and Starks were basically starters last year anyway. Assuming no injuries, Starks is already the front runner and will likely start the season over either Green or Saine. One of them might over take him, but I doubt it will be right away. Shields already plays most downs. Whether or not he is technically a starter is just a formal matter.

Jennings is a hopeful vote. I'd like to see someone step up at safety. That should allow Woodson to lineup anywhere on the field on any given play.

My list and reasons are the same as yours, except I have McMillan instead of Jennings. For the speed McMillan has, I'm hoping he's got some Nick Collins in him. And based on draft position, so do the Packers.