PDA

View Full Version : Packers release Peprah

denverYooper
07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/228218888863768577

ThunderDan
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/228218888863768577

That's a shocker. I don't think Peprah is good by any measure but he is better than anyone else with playing experience on our rooster.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Wow. Hopefully this isn't like the Patriots cutting James Sanders last year. Do we have a capable replacement?

I guess Peprah hurt his knee sometime along during the offseason.

Guiness
07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm surprised by this. I know we've got some young guys back there, MM must have confidence in them. MD Jennings, Burnett and McMillan don't have a lot of starts between them!

smuggler
07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I can't imagine they already have a good feel for McMillan. This must be a vote of confidence for Doc Jennings and/or Levine. We already had more faith in Burnett than Peprah.

denverYooper
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Peprah was ok, by many accounts a hard worker and a good guy. But I think the main thing that helped him hang on for quite a while was his availability. With that gone this preseason, the decision to release him was probably relatively easy.

Fosco33
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
He missed 12 tackles and was responsible for eight pass plays of 20 yards or more in 2011...

Smidgeon
07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I can't imagine they already have a good feel for McMillan. This must be a vote of confidence for Doc Jennings and/or Levine. We already had more faith in Burnett than Peprah.

I don't imagine so either, but there's an outside chance that the coaches saw something in minicamp and OTAs.

Zool
07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey.......

Tony Oday
07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
did he "make" it with a coaches daughter ala Chris Jacke?

Patler
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Peprah has a nonfootball injury, and reportedly wasn't ready for camp. Similar to Chiller last year. This is the easiest way to handle it.

NOW, all you Leonhard fans can start clamoring for TT to get out a pen. The roster has a spot for him.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
"I appreciate all the fans for their support," Peprah said. "Even the ones who weren't supportive, I appreciate them, too. That made me work even harder. Man, it was a dream come true to play for the Packers. Not many people can say they played for a historic franchise like this, and be a part of a Super Bowl team. It's hard to be happy about that right now but I know looking back at my career, five or six years later, I know it's something I'll be blessed to have been a part of."

Pretty classy statement. Good luck, Peps!

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
NOW, all you Leonhard fans can start clamoring for TT to get out a pen. The roster has a spot for him.

IF he can beat Charles Woodson in a footrace, then I say sign him. Line um up. We know Leonard he can play football, but he may have lost a step that he doesn't have to spare.

rbaloha1
07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Its about time. CP is limited athletically. During the Super Bowl year, CP played within his athletic limitations and played well.

Last season, it appeared CP tried to make plays as an elite athlete (maybe over compensating for the loss of Collins) and failed miserably.

Watch for Mcmillian to secure the position.

smuggler
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
McMillan hasn't shown enough for the team to put that kind of trust in him. It's got to be Levine, Woodson, or MDJennings.

rbaloha1
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
McMillan hasn't shown enough for the team to put that kind of trust in him. It's got to be Levine, Woodson, or MDJennings.

Good point. My betting guess is Woodson playing the Polomalu role and MB playing center field.

Patler
07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
IF he can beat Charles Woodson in a footrace, then I say sign him. Line um up. We know Leonard he can play football, but he may have lost a step that he doesn't have to spare.

Just to be clear, I have no interest in the guy. Too small, too old, too injured. My comment was for those in the other thread who thought he should be signed. In that thread it was pointed out that signing anyone requires releasing someone else, as the TC roster was set. The young guys were there for a reason, to be looked at. A vet doesn't need that so much, everyone knows what he was capable of. Well, now they can take a quick look-see at Leonhard if they want to, because the roster has an opening. Does he have anything left or not?

I doubt he is even ready to play. Didn't he have knee surgery in December?

King Friday
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Peprah was just a guy. Peprah's nagging injury was likely going to limit him during all of camp. I'm guessing the Packers are comfortable with the athleticism they have back there based on offseason workouts and figure they won't lose anything in the changeover...and may gain if a kid gets a chance to compete in camp and steps forward.

BobDobbs
07-25-2012, 07:45 PM
There goes my 53 man roster prediction. I figured he'd be on the team as a servicable backup. I remember a Ron Wolf quote when we got rid of one of the parade of terrible safeties that we put on the field some years back. I think it was Mark Roman. He said he didn't understand why people got so worried about cutting a guy that wasn't going to have much of a ceiling. Might as well give a new guy a try and not get too worried about keeping someone average or below on the field.

I do have to say though, Charlie was always a Prince.

Joemailman
07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Now we have room on the roster for Travis Henry!

Bretsky
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Peprah has a nonfootball injury, and reportedly wasn't ready for camp. Similar to Chiller last year. This is the easiest way to handle it.

Don't need to be fans to realize Leonard is better than Charlie Peprah

Patler
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Don't need to be fans to realize Leonard is better than Charlie Peprah

I'm sure he was at at one time. I'm not sure that is true for a 30-year old Leonard who has ended the last two season on IR and is coming off knee surgery last December. I won't be surprised if his career is about at its end.

George Cumby
07-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Classy farewell by CP. Liked his lunchpail play during the SB run.

Seems like a hard worker, quality guy. Just limited.

packrulz
07-26-2012, 05:50 AM
TT signed a guard: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/163771596.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Brandon494
07-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Sweeeet! Hopefully Hawk is next. :jig:

KYPack
07-26-2012, 09:21 AM
There were a few factors with Charlie

1. He flunked his physical or close to it.

2. They are moving Wood to a rover position that will entail a lot more work at S. Cutting Peprah frees up more practice reps for Wood

3. $ - not much, but CP was making a mil or so. They are going with the cheaper kids at that spot.

4. Peprah was at or coming down from his ceiling. Very little upside from a benchwarmer = cut.

Fritz
07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Peprah seems like a classy guy, and he was the classic hard-working, limited-ability guy. Though the move seemed unexpected, when you think about it, really, it's not a shock. The game, and the way GM's and coaches think about rosters, have changed drastically over the past thirty years. There was a time when rookies mostly sat on the bench for at least a year or two; now many are expected to contribute heavily. Peprah was already limited in ability and then was hurt on top of that. Methinks MM has seen enough of Levine and Jennings to know there's some potential there. I personally don't think a rookie can be an effective safety in this league - not a fourth rounder, anyway - so I don't think it's McMillian and Wife.

The other major change in the game that is relevant here is the "packaging" and substitutions. It's hard, at times, to tell what it means to be a "starter" any more. And MM seems on the cutting edge of that. So my edumacated guess is that there will be a nominal starter from among Jennings and Levine, but Woodson will be one of the defensive backs on the field many times, with Burnett being the only "pure" safety on the field.

I would bet heavily against TT bringing Leonhard in - why replace one Peprah with another? And Leonhard, as Patler has pointed out, is not any more the Leonhard that Bretsky is clamoring for. Sorry, B. I just don't agree with ya on this one.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I want a white safety on the team. Obviously a cornerback is too much to hope for. If not Leonard, then some Chuck Cecil clone.

I saw Jim Leonard on the local news. He was in his hometown, Tony WI, throwing passes to recievers from the highschool team. Very Farvesque. He throws a tight spiral.

Brandon494
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I want a white safety on the team. Obviously a cornerback is too much to hope for. If not Leonard, then some Chuck Cecil clone.

I saw Jim Leonard on the local news. He was in his hometown, Tony WI, throwing passes to recievers from the highschool team. Very Farvesque. He throws a tight spiral.

No thanks, Peprah played like a white safety. :butt:

Pugger
07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Classy farewell by CP. Liked his lunchpail play during the SB run.

Seems like a hard worker, quality guy. Just limited.

I hope he lands on his feet. Maybe he can find another team to play for.

smuggler
07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
He's better than guys on the Vikes and Lions, for sure, but I question his health if he's being cut so soon.

Joemailman
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM

We have a white WR. Don't be greedy.

Fritz
07-27-2012, 08:11 AM
He's better than guys on the Vikes and Lions, for sure, but I question his health if he's being cut so soon.

Better than Louis Delmas?

pbmax
07-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Didn't Chillar get hurt working out for camp after an injury rehab stint?

I heard Bishop had a non football injury, Peprah too or was the first report I saw wrong?

KYPack
07-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Didn't Chillar get hurt working out for camp after an injury rehab stint?

I heard Bishop had a non football injury, Peprah too or was the first report I saw wrong?

Peprah had a clean out scope in the off-season.

The knee wasn't totally ready and that was another factor in the cut.

run pMc
07-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Very classy response by CP. It is a business, and going with youth is right out of TT's playbook. Woodson's role in Corner Okie probably has something to do with it, as does drafting McMillian. I'm guessing they wanted to give the young guys (McM, DocJ, Richardson, Levine) as many snaps as possible, and that DocJennings showed enough to give them confidence.

As for Leonhard, I like the guy but he's short and he's been hurt a lot. I don't see how TT brings in a 30 year old safety that can't stay healthy for 16 games.
(We already have Zombo to play the always hurt white guy anyway. :twisted:)

Also -- I'd take Delmas or Harrison Smith over Peprah. I do think Peprah will catch on somewhere, and wish him well. He's serviceable, but (as with many CB/S) you need a good pass rush to help him out. You never know, the Packers could have a rash of injuries and bring him back.

Travis Henry LOL

KYPack
07-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Better than Louis Delmas?

No way.

Louis is a top hand back there.

smuggler
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Also -- I'd take Delmas or Harrison Smith over Peprah. I do think Peprah will catch on somewhere, and wish him well. He's serviceable, but (as with many CB/S) you need a good pass rush to help him out. You never know, the Packers could have a rash of injuries and bring him back.

I didn't say Peprah was better than *all* of the Vikes or Lions safeties.

Lurker64
07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
There were a few factors with Charlie

1. He flunked his physical or close to it.

2. They are moving Wood to a rover position that will entail a lot more work at S. Cutting Peprah frees up more practice reps for Wood

3. $ - not much, but CP was making a mil or so. They are going with the cheaper kids at that spot.

4. Peprah was at or coming down from his ceiling. Very little upside from a benchwarmer = cut.

I had heard that the Packers told Peprah to get his knee cleaned up in the offseason, and when he showed up at camp and it wasn't cleaned up (i.e. he failed the physical based on that knee) they cut him immediately, both because it saves you money and because "won't do what needs to be done to get right" is a major strike against an NFL player.

It's conceivable that they will bring him back once he gets that knee healthy (there's no injury, just wear and tear related stuff).

Patler
07-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I had heard that the Packers told Peprah to get his knee cleaned up in the offseason, and when he showed up at camp and it wasn't cleaned up (i.e. he failed the physical based on that knee) they cut him immediately, both because it saves you money and because "won't do what needs to be done to get right" is a major strike against an NFL player.

In fairness to Peprah, I think he tried to get his knee taken care of. He had arthroscopic knee surgery early in the off-season. Maybe the medical staff just determined his knee never will be right, or that there is a significant risk of further injury.

KYPack
07-28-2012, 11:09 AM

It's conceivable that they will bring him back once he gets that knee healthy (there's no injury, just wear and tear related stuff).

I know P commented on this above my post.

There is some info floating around that Pep was told to get a procedure on the knee and didn't do so. That's in error. He got scoped, but there were troubles & he had a less than stellar physical. Everything basically came up snake eyes for Charlie and it all added up to a pink slip in his dinner pail.

Patler
07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I know P commented on this above my post.

There is some info floating around that Pep was told to get a procedure on the knee and didn't do so. That's in error. He got scoped, but there were troubles & he had a less than stellar physical. Everything basically came up snake eyes for Charlie and it all added up to a pink slip in his dinner pail.

I saw a quote from Peprah himself in which he said he was unable to finish the required run. Not that it was too slow, his knee wouldn't allow him to run. His scope was right after the season. If his knee is so bad he can't run on it 6 months or so later, it sounds like he needs more work on it. The team probably figured he wouldn't be much help for most or all of the season.

Smeefers
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
I was entirely wrong. They got rid of the Peprah. I would of sworn up and down that he wasn't just going to make the team, but he was going to start. Goes to show you what I know.

Fritz
07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
That kind of stuff is a good reminder for us all, Smeef. I can yammer on and on about whether House or Shields should be starting, but I'm not watching both guys every day, and I can't talk to them to get to know their mental makeup. I always say it's a good thing fans aren't running teams, or you'd have a whole new starting team every two weeks, and new coaches every month.

And while I'm ranting, these a-hole supposed fans who call up talk shows and "demand" accountability from players and teams and coaches, and who insist that if the team doesn't win the SB (or the World Series, or the Stanley Cup, or whatever the sport is) the GM and coach should be fired and it's all been a waste - I'd bet good money very, very few of them, if any, live their own lives with that sense of "accountability."

I'm okay with criticism to a certain extent. But I think trying to be just a tiny bit realistic is a good idea, too.

I can't stand those strident, self-righteous, unwashed ass clowns.

Thank you for listening to me bitch.

Guiness
07-31-2012, 10:14 AM
That kind of stuff is a good reminder for us all, Smeef. I can yammer on and on about whether House or Shields should be starting, but I'm not watching both guys every day, and I can't talk to them to get to know their mental makeup. I always say it's a good thing fans aren't running teams, or you'd have a whole new starting team every two weeks, and new coaches every month.

And while I'm ranting, these a-hole supposed fans who call up talk shows and "demand" accountability from players and teams and coaches, and who insist that if the team doesn't win the SB (or the World Series, or the Stanley Cup, or whatever the sport is) the GM and coach should be fired and it's all been a waste - I'd bet good money very, very few of them, if any, live their own lives with that sense of "accountability."

I'm okay with criticism to a certain extent. But I think trying to be just a tiny bit realistic is a good idea, too.

I can't stand those strident, self-righteous, unwashed ass clowns.

Thank you for listening to me bitch.

You're 100% right, there was no reason for Detroit to get rid of Millen!

George Cumby
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
"You're 100% right, there was no reason for Detroit to get rid of Millen!"

I actually liked Millen, but I really like to dislike Schwartz.

Fritz
08-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping The Schvantz blows up a few times and his team plays undisciplined, dirty football.

But do you remember when MM's first couple of teams lead the league in penalties? Or at least were one of the most-penalized teams? He managed to get that "cleaned up" as he likes to say, and you wonder if The Schvantz can do that, too. I dunno. I don't know what he was like as a d-coordinator in Tennessee.