PDA

View Full Version : Buzzkill

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2006, 12:53 AM
So, who's ready for the next buzzkill from Ted Thompson. First, it was Adam Vinatieri. I'm expecting Charles Woodson will be next, and then LaVar Arrington.

I don't know what's worse: having a GM that hates FA and doesn't go after many or having a GM who states that he shies away from FAs, but then entertains big names, only to lowball them on an offer. I think the latter is worse because it gets ones hopes a little. It's sad, but I've never conditioned myself to expect the worst.

Tarlam!
04-12-2006, 05:15 AM
TT does not hate FA. He just sees it as a tool to build selectively. There is no doubt the 3 players in your post are excellent quality players, and as fans, we drool over the thought of them suiting up in G&G.

But, do they fit the concept of the team TT is planning on building? Are they "Packer" people, as M3 claims he is looking for?

The sense of urgency to be a contender this year can only be coming from a hope that Brett will play. Y'know, I bet we'd be a lot more relaxed if Brett had announced his retirement already and we were facing the new season with our rookie QB. We would all be expecting losing season. We would all be hoping to get great players in the draft. We would have less urgency to make a huge splash.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Tease. That pretty much sums it up in one word.

If you bring in guys like Woodson and Arrington, you need to be serious about signing them. Low balling players like this will give you a really bad rep throughout the league. Take this with the hateful slanderous remarks made by players like McKenzie, Walker, and Jackson, it is going to be tough getting FAs here for the next couple of years.

Patler
04-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Tease. That pretty much sums it up in one word.

If you bring in guys like Woodson and Arrington, you need to be serious about signing them. Low balling players like this will give you a really bad rep throughout the league. Take this with the hateful slanderous remarks made by players like McKenzie, Walker, and Jackson, it is going to be tough getting FAs here for the next couple of years.

In today's NFL, almost every team has at least one disgruntled player making negative comments about the team. We only see a few of the others, and unfortunately Favre's comments the last two years have fueled the negative firestorm around GB.

McKenzie, of course made his comments when a different GM was in charge.

Grady Jackson has consistently burned his bridges behind him, slamming his last employer. No big deal there.

Walker is just another in a long line of first-contract players who make a big stink. Every year there are some who make the "I won't play" threat. Unfortunately, Favre's comments last year brought increased attention to the Walker situation.

Favre's comments about the team and free agency this year are probably the most damning of all.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Ok Shamrock, I am not arguing with you about the validility of their claims, they are mainly bullshit but when you then try to low ball free agents it gives a little bit more gas to their fire that this is a cheap organization.

Patler
04-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Ok Shamrock, I am not arguing with you about the validility of their claims, they are mainly bullshit but when you then try to low ball free agents it gives a little bit more gas to their fire that this is a cheap organization.

I agree, if indeed the offers are low compared to the initial offers from other teams. Again, this type of info about "lowball" offers generally comes from the player's side, and I take it with a grain of salt. Not much different than what you hear from union negotiations, with the union being "insulted" by the first offer from the employer and painting a doom and gloom picture.

We'll soon know if the Poston's refuse to bring other clients to GB.

woodbuck27
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
The way I see it you don't play games with the Agents that rep.both Charles Woodson and Lavar Arrington (the Poston brothers).

That can't be the case as we had Woodson in and no offer, then the next to visit was Lavar and his wife. As I see it, these fellas simply arn't going to command the bucks they want, and TT will not overspend as he's being accused of doing with Aaron Kampman. I feel that when Javon went wingy again, that was all TT needed to get Kampman on board. He said the heck with Javon and I'll wrap Kampman. That was good on several fronts.

The FA market is now a buyers market and TT is playing it smart . He is in the elite club of GM's that has any real money to spend and he see's that as true power. He's using that power properly, unless he gets too cute.

Bottom line! He has to ( or I hope he does)sign someone soon to give himself more options in the draft, and to give us more strength.I am hearing rumors that Woodson is close to signing with Tampa but personally for OUR needs, I prefer Lavar Arrington especially giving his age and athleticism.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Bottom line! He has to ( or I hope he does)sign someone soon to give himself more options in the draft, and to give us more strength.I am hearing rumors that Woodson is close to signing with Tampa but personally for OUR needs, I prefer Lavar Arrington especially giving his age and athleticism.

You would think so, but I have this sinking feeling that Thompson perceives the roster to have much more potential than it actually does.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Arrington came first. I was wrong on the order of the buzzkill.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:18 PM

It's much worse to have a GM tease us by bringing in the guy and then lowballing him. Kind of like having two hot babes getting you to buy them beers all night giving you hints you are going to get the double score only to have them sneak away by themselves pit the back door of the bar when you make a pit stop in the bathroom. Would have been better off never meeting them :)

GrnBay007
04-21-2006, 11:22 PM

It's much worse to have a GM tease us by bringing in the guy and then lowballing him. Kind of like having two hot babes getting you to buy them beers all night giving you hints you are going to get the double score only to have them sneak away by themselves pit the back door of the bar when you make a pit stop in the bathroom. Would have been better off never meeting them :)

lol, you obviously have it on the brain.....might as well give in and go watch the skin! :razz:

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:25 PM

While the Postons -- Kevin and Carl -- were working to complete the deal Friday night between the Giants and Arrington, negotiations for Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson were heating up and there is a chance something could be done this weekend.

The Packers and Bucs have been the most active in trying to recruit Woodson. The Bucs are looking at Woodson as a safety. The Packers want him at cornerback. Other teams have entered the picture, according to Carl Poston, Woodson's agent.

"We're working on Charles and hoping to get something done," Poston said. "Things are picking up."

Woodson and cornerback Ty Law will be the top free agents available once Arrington completes his deal with the Giants. Law has been talking to the Seahawks and several other teams.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 11:27 PM

lol, you obviously have it on the brain.....might as well give in and go watch the skin! :razz:

MY SIMPLE mind is flying in so many directions thoghts are bouncing in and out. Even though it's working, this diet things sucks. Given up booze and good food and then I come up with comparisons like that w/o any intellectual effort.