PDA

View Full Version : Woodson's a safety

PA Pack Fan
07-26-2012, 09:12 PM
which I think is good, except that Bush completely sucks.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Woodson-steps-into-safety-position/0cc5afd9-6e0f-4383-9da2-74b616c0c9b6....

Lurker64
07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Woodson's a safety in their +1 DL package (3-4-4). In the base defense (2-4-5) he'll be playing the same slot CB position that he has been playing the last couple of years.

Guiness
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
He's seeing more time at safety. I wonder if this is the plan moving forward (people have been calling for it for years, it seems) or if they are just test driving him there, getting him some reps because it's not like he needs them at CB.

RashanGary
07-27-2012, 06:28 AM
He's seeing more time at safety. I wonder if this is the plan moving forward (people have been calling for it for years, it seems) or if they are just test driving him there, getting him some reps because it's not like he needs them at CB.

Woodson is a unique player. I think all they're saying is he's their base safety, but that he's still going to be in every other role he was in before. Last year, in base, he was an outside corner. In the Packers defense, that was about 10-15% of the time. He wasn't outside much as it was. This year, it's just that 10% that will change. Other than that, he's still in the same spot. He's getting older. As brilliant of a baller as he is, some day he'll have to hang it up, but for now, he has enough physical ability where his brilliance can still shine. What Woodson does is the most important thing in our whole back 7. He opens up pages in a playbook, only a handful of teams can open without getting destroyed with mistakes. Perry said, Woodson plays the money spot. There's nobody like him.

So he can't run with receivers anymore. So what. We have guys who can do that. There are only one or two players in the league that can do what Woodson does. And even if you stuck him at outside corner, he still wouldn't suck at that. It just doesn't play to his strengths as much. We have guys who can play corner now. We don't have anyone who can play inside the way Woodson can. Nobody does. He's a HOFer. He was a HOF corner, and now he's a HOF inside DB.

I'd just call him a DB. A special, HOF DB who's role has been evolving more and more to be an inside player.

pbmax
07-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, Capers and McCarthy both seem to be saying the old corner oakie is the new base. Pro Football Focus said they played base 32% of downs last year (which is up from 2011). So if McCarthy was not just blowing smoke about a difference of 6-8% of snaps, there could be other changes. Otherwise, he is now a young Darren Sharper, in position anyway.

Doc Jennings was the next safety in when they went nickel.

Wilde wrote it up this way: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F26%2F12_Secondary_shuffle/911?feed=2

I didn't think they would do it, I hope he can hold up if he is back there a 1/3 of the time. Woodson's instincts run counter to being a safety in a lot of ways. He has had misadventures back deep in Zone in Cover 3 before.

I wonder of this means he will be closer to the LOS and Burnett will be the centerfielder?