PDA

View Full Version : Cut out zone blocking?

Tarlam!
08-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Apologies if this has already been posted....

Cut out zone blocking? Not in points-crazy NFL
Aug. 17, 2006
By Pete Prisco

Reggie Hayward spent his first four seasons in the league watching the Denver Broncos offensive line work every day in practice, a teammate on the other side of the ball. He saw the way they perfected their zone-blocking schemes, those dastardly cut-blocks repped over and over again.

Fair or not, George Foster has been the poster child for cut-blocking. (Getty Images)
Back then, Hayward didn't have to worry about the perils of the system. He was a teammate, a friend, a player those offensive linemen wanted to avoid cutting. So they practiced on dummies, rarely, if ever, cutting Hayward and his defensive line mates for fear of injury. There was too much risk, too much investment.

"There's no way it would have been live," Hayward said. "They had to protect the defensive linemen."

Those four years gave Hayward a real understanding of the system, even if he didn't face it in live work. Now as a defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Hayward is more than qualified to talk about that controversial style of line play, a style that is becoming and more prevalent in the NFL. What he has to say isn't very nice.

"It's dirty, there's no question about it," Hayward said. "It's a dirty way to play. But they use it because it works. That's why you're seeing more teams use it. It works. That doesn't make it right. The league has tried to do stuff to make it safer, but they haven't done enough. It's a way a guy can get seriously hurt. It's a dirty system."

The Broncos have used the zone-blocking system for years, leading a running game that is always among the league's best. It is a system based on smaller, athletic linemen who reach on the front side of the play in zone blocking and then cut on the back side. The idea behind the style is for the back to take a handoff, pick a hole, with the option of cutting it off to the backside of the play where defenders have been chopped down like pine tress at Christmas.

In addition to the Broncos, the Atlanta Falcons have used the system the past couple of years, brought to them by line coach Alex Gibbs, who perfected it when he was the line coach in Denver. This season, we have two more teams going to the system.

The Houston Texans, now coached by former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, will employ the style. So will the Green Bay Packers, whose offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski came over from Atlanta, where he served as the team's line coach last season, learning the tricks of the trade from Gibbs.

That's four primary zone-blocking, cut-blocking teams, which doesn't make defensive players all that happy.

"Last year, I got caught on one and had a sprained ankle and slowed me down the last couple of game," Carolina Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker said. "What's the need for it? There are so many rules out there to protect players. What about us? One of our assets is our knees. This is a system that goes right after those. It's dangerous. It's one thing to slow a guy down, but to go at his knees and ankles. That's too much."

By league rules, the blocks are legal in close-in play, the areas extending laterally to where the tackles are positioned and 3 yards on either side of the ball. An offensive player can cut down a defensive player as long as he gets his head in front of the legs above the knee.

But getting the head in front doesn't necessarily make the block safe. A flowing defensive lineman can be looking at the ball on the front-side of the play, while getting cut down behind it. That's where injuries can occur.

In 2004, Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Tony Williams was cut down by Broncos tackle George Foster in a nationally televised game, a block that broke Williams' ankle. It was a block away from the play. Earlier that year, Broncos left tackle Matt Lepsis broke the leg of Jaguars defensive end Paul Spicer when he cut him down after he was beaten with a quick inside move. It was different than a normal cut, but a cut nonetheless, and borderline cheap.

Those incidents led to an outcry against the blocks, and many coaches came out publicly against them. The Broncos reacted in a defensive mode, with Mike Shanahan actually pointing to other teams, not strictly zone-blocking teams, that do the same thing. In other words, he who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Advertisement

The league's competition committee considered a change in the rules, but none occurred.

"It's always something the competition committee is looking at," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's director of officiating. "We always look at things when there is potential for injury. We hate to say we only react if certain people blow out knee or break legs. We're always looking at things where there is potential for injury. Since I've been involved with the committee, this is always something that is a major issue."

Since the blocks are legal, there's nothing the officials can really do about it. A few years back, they made it so the umpire stays home on the backside of the play to keep an eye out for any potential illegal cut blocks, the type where the player doesn't get his head in front or goes below the knee. They're also on the lookout for roll blocks, which are also illegal.

Those blocks, according to some defensive linemen, are where the real dangers come into play. The head gets in front, but the roll in the back is where the injuries occur.

"They not only cut, but they roll," Rucker said. "They might get their head in front, but then they roll. It's not supposed to happen that way, but it does. How can it not? If we're side-by-side, and he cuts me and his head is in front and the rest is behind me, the head won't hurt me. But it's the rest of him that catches the knee or the ankle. That's no good."

When it works, the system is an art form of sorts. It's precision blocking that gives the back the freedom to pick a hole and go. It helped Terrell Davis become a star in Denver. It helps the Broncos every year be one of the best rushing teams in the league. In Atlanta, the Falcons have been the top rushing team the past two seasons.

It does have its defenders, even among teams that don't use it as their primary blocking system. Most teams use some of the principles of the system.

"If you're running the stretch, you have to cut the backside," Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden said. "I don't think they're doing anything malicious. It's a technique they need to run that offense. If you want to run that offense out of the league, then you take it out."

Said Packers coach Mike McCarthy: "It's a system that works and one we believe in. It is not something done with an idea of hurting people. Our guys will play within the rules."

And that's the key. Do the rules do enough to protect defensive players?

"I've spent an inordinate amount of time defending the tactic because it's legal," Pereira said. "By our rules, it is allowed. Our job is to find the illegal cuts, but the cut itself is allowed."

Houston Texans tackle Zach Wiegert, now playing in his first year in the system, has a different take on the defensive players who rip the cut-blocks.

"They say it's filthy?" Wiegert said. "Come on. They're always going to say that. You know how defensive players are. It says in the rule book that you can cut, so we cut. Look at the film. Those defensive players are taking on guards and holding them to let the linebackers run free. If you cut them, they take their hands off. It's no dirtier than some of the things they do."

As soon as Wiegert finishes, I ask him if the Texans cut their own players during practice.

He laughs and points to the far side of the team's practice bubble.

"No way," he said. "See those big black bags over there. We practice cutting on them. No way to hurt those."

With four teams now using the system, it will be closely watched this season. If the leg injuries suffered by defensive linemen goes up, we'll hear the uproar again. Maybe then, those linemen will get what they really want.

"They're big people, we're big people," Rucker said. "They should be able to block us without cutting us. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Better yet, it would be a lot safer. Then again, it might cut down on the offense the NFL so badly wants.

Protect the quarterbacks all you want, but damn those defensive linemen. Heck, it's only their livelihood.

ND72
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
blah blah blah blah blah....cut blocks are legal, nothign more to be said. Defensive Line pussies can wine all they want...they can grab jersey's and facemasks, and do what they need to to get by a OL guy, but anytime someone can do something to them, they cry...man i feel like i'm back in college.

Bretsky
08-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Every year views like this come out, but it'll be a while before they ever change the rules.

ND72
08-19-2006, 07:52 AM
why change the rules? you can cut in high school, you can cut in college. there is nothing truly unsafe about the cut if done right...it's done all the time in college, why don't people make an up-roar about it there? I've done it in HS for 5 years now, and have never hurt another player. It's that 1 guy in the NFL who is a jack-a$$ to begin with, that makes a CHOP block, which is illegal, that hurts a player. big difference.

test
08-19-2006, 08:18 AM
yea it seems this has been going on forever. Are the calls being made when it;s done wrong?

Terry
08-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Doesn't it tell anyone anything that all the teams that use it won't practice it on their own players?

That alone should make it obvious that even the teams that employ the scheme consider it dangerous. Why should a technique recognized as being dangerous be permitted? Why isn't it unethical?

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 04:38 PM
We're the hated Packers.

The really hated Packers !! ahhhh OK.

By the way. It's the Team "the Organization - GM and Coach's" that institutes the ZBS on the players as Offensive strategy.

What are Packer players going to say?

"I'm really not into that - I'm afraid to hurt someone."

Can't see that.

GO PACKERS ! PACKER FAITH IN 2006 !!

ND72
08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Doesn't it tell anyone anything that all the teams that use it won't practice it on their own players?

That alone should make it obvious that even the teams that employ the scheme consider it dangerous. Why should a technique recognized as being dangerous be permitted? Why isn't it unethical?

do teams practice tackling on eachother?

I can even answer that for you...NO, they don't. so should we stop tackling too?

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 02:59 AM
I want us to be the FEARED Packers, not the hated. Nobody hates Denver for their ZB do they? I hate Denver, 'cause they're not the Packers.

Actually, I hate anybody non-Packer. I hate 31 teams. BUT: I balance all that hate with my love for the G&G. See, I am NOT Crazy.

Guiness
08-20-2006, 06:55 AM
The solution to prevent the defensive players from getting hurt? Same as it is for OL's that fit this scheme: Smaller, more athletic defensive linemen. If this type of running gains popularity, maybe we'll see a move towards these types of linemen on both sides of the ball, which I'd like.

There's a lot of things teams don't do in drills that are allowed at games.

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 07:45 AM
I want us to be the FEARED Packers, not the hated. Nobody hates Denver for their ZB do they? I hate Denver, 'cause they're not the Packers.

Actually, I hate anybody non-Packer. I hate 31 teams. BUT: I balance all that hate with my love for the G&G. See, I am NOT Crazy.

Ya see. :mrgreen:

Tarlam to be a Packer fan in the twilight of Favre's career makes me a little crazy (at times) but that's because I'm not one for drastic change.

Favre makes me CRAZY. Ted Thompsom can make me CRAZY.

I've been examining this here for the past week.

DAM but this, is the place - for support. I read a re-post on something bugging me, from Vince (and read it twice) and suddenly. I'm at least getting a grip on what is/isn't with OUR beloved GREEN BAY PACKERS.

I'm able to look behind "the black" to discover those grays and somewhere there - I know there's white.

Whatsup with Ole woodbuck27?

I'm slowwww to change in my ways /personality.

It's "the Country Boy" that predominates in me, as I listen to "a Dire Straits" CD. I'm a tapestry - a patchwork quilt. Yet what runs deep in me is what Brett Favre and Ahman g
Green have meant to me as a Packer fan.

You maybe, don't have a fricken clue as to what I'm expressing here, but TRUST this.

This is becoming "the PLACE" to get answers.

I trust we all realize just how good this dangerous dual ( Favre and Green)has been, and could still be. What happened that they didn't celebrate a Super Bowl together? Give me a break. How did that pass them by?

If I can't get answers for questions like that, in my Packerness I am going to act somewhat crazy. Yet I trust in myself to. . .

NOT . . . GET TOO CRAZY.I ask this Foum for HELP.

This Packer HOME HELPS. :mrgreen:

This also helps:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FOR FAITH IN 2006 !!Packer Attitude.

Packers 38 -10 over "the Falcons" helps too.

That's gone now. We assess it, and prepare for the next foe. Tough team the Cinn. Bengals. We - win or loose, take another step towords the BEARS. :mrgreen: