PDA

View Full Version : Have Olympics diminished excitement over football training camps?

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I kinda think so. I'm not a big Olympics guy myself, altho I do watch a little of the beach volleyball. The men's game is much better - they jump higher.

Pugger
07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I like the gymnastics - both guys and gals. I marvel at what they can do. The swimming and diving is fun too. Until actual preseason games start I don't get too excited about TC.

denverYooper
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I never thought much about Olympic volleyball until yesterday, when they were talking about Reid Priddy of the American indoor team getting his face caved in when he took an elbow from a teammate going up for a spike. Apparently he had to have half of his face reconstructed. That made me realize the huge amount of force those guys are able to generate when they smash the ball. Most non-mutant arms cannot move that fast.

Water polo is one of my favorite things to watch. I've played my share and it's a tough game. Especially in goal. Miller had a huge game yesterday in the net for the Americans.

Pugger
07-30-2012, 03:15 PM
What nbc channel was water polo on?

KYPack
07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Misty May's ass is far better than anything I've ever seen at any NFL training camp.

denverYooper
07-30-2012, 03:27 PM

USA matches have been on the regular one, usually during the day.

Joemailman
07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Let the record show that Harlan would rather watch men play beach volleyball than women...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM

The water polo I saw was pretty cool, but it would be better if you could see the horses.

Usually training camp is my favorite part of the football season. Maybe if I read more posts in Packer forum I'll catch the fever. Or kill myself.

Freak Out
07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I like the Olympics but hate NBC. Oh....and I fucking hate Ryan Seacrest or Seamonkey or whatever the hell his name is.

Freak Out
07-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Also...is that Scotch in the decanter on the table next to Costas?

MJZiggy
07-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I like the Olympics but hate NBC. Oh....and I fucking hate Ryan Seacrest or Seamonkey or whatever the hell his name is.

I've found that if you just mute it, it's more pleasant to watch and you can still keep up with what's going on. (yes, mr. announcer, I see that she stepped out and I do know that it's a 10th of a point from the last four times you told me that)

MJZiggy
07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
P.S. The OIC's aversion to clothing that actually covers the athletes is laudable.

Joemailman
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM

nbc

denverYooper
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
The real games take place in the Olympic village.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine

After Sydney, they have a standing order of 100,000 condoms for the Olympic village.

Freak Out
07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
The real games take place in the Olympic village.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine

After Sydney, they have a standing order of 100,000 condoms for the Olympic village.

Awesome....you would expect nothing less than full on debauchery.

MJZiggy
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Fantastic!

George Cumby
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
High end performance in (almost) any endeavor is interesting, fun and educational to watch.

Yeah, the high-jinks are something, a bunch of young, horny athletes from every nation on the planet in the full bloom of youth getting together for one great big hook-up-a-thon.

Gunakor
07-31-2012, 01:58 AM
The drama of Bejing when Jason Lezak swam perhaps the best anchor leg of any relay in Olympic history to beat France by .01 seconds and take home the gold in the 4x100 freestyle relay simply cannot be duplicated at an NFL training camp. And that's just one example.

TC is the beginning of the road for NFL players in any given season. The Olympics are the height of most competitor's careers. It's like watching a new Super Bowl every day for 2 weeks straight, with each day providing new drama in a sport you probably only watch once every 4 years. Yes, absolutely, the Olympics have diminished the excitement of NFL training camps.

Fritz
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I was going to write "Training camp gives me a boner; the Olympics do not."

But then I read that article.

pbmax
07-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Misty May's ass is far better than anything I've ever seen at any NFL training camp.

Its too bad summer in London can mean she and Kerri have had to cover up.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
I just watched Brazil-Germany women's beach volley bar. What a downer. The Brazilian women are wearing voyeur-proof vests over their bikinis. Disgraceful. This is not in the olympic spirit. Brazil of all places, the inventors of the thong bikini and that special little haircut.

The Germans lacked any curves at all.

Upnorth
07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Just watching competition at this level shows how interesting amatuer sport can be,

http://acidcow.com/pics/20120731/olympic_beach_volleyball_is_purely_awesome_25.jpg

Upnorth
07-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Proper form is important in athletics as well,

http://acidcow.com/pics/20120731/olympic_beach_volleyball_is_purely_awesome_10.jpg

MJZiggy
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
I was going to write "Training camp gives me a boner; the Olympics do not."

But then I read that article.

Try watching this scantily clad event...Beautiful people with an aversion to clothing. I'd have a boner if I had anything to have a boner with.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2012, 07:56 PM
There is such a thing as lady wood, you know. PM me for details. Discretion guaranteed.

HowardRoark
07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Anyone know when the Croatian Women's Basketball team plays again?

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/28/croatian-basketball-player-antonija-misura-should-become-a-star-at-the-london-olympics/

Fritz
08-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Ziggy, I'm sure your parts get all tingly when you watch some of those male Olympic athletes...or when Packerrats is having a heated discussion over whether Anthony Levine will make the team.

MJZiggy
08-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Ziggy, I'm sure your parts get all tingly when you watch some of those male Olympic athletes...or when Packerrats is having a heated discussion over whether Anthony Levine will make the team.
Well duh. Unless you're offering to fix it for me...

Fritz
08-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Ooh. I like your attitude. Maybe I can talk dirty to you, too, whisper about how deep the Packers are at cornerback...

sheepshead
08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Proper form is important in athletics as well,

http://acidcow.com/pics/20120731/olympic_beach_volleyball_is_purely_awesome_10.jpg

Better than Raji's ass I guess.

KYPack
08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Misty, is that you?

Upnorth
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Misty, is that you?

Misty is the one on the right,
http://www.womenzmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kerri-Walsh-and-Misty-May-Treanor.jpg

swede
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Someone pay Misty for me.

Upnorth
08-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Someone pay Misty for me.

Allowing them to go pro has sure changed the olympics.:rs:

Patler
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.womenzmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kerri-Walsh-and-Misty-May-Treanor.jpg

It's amazing that they can move at all in those confining uniforms.

denverYooper
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Kerri is the one on the right. Unless you're talking stage right.

This picture was probably before they had kids...

KYPack
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Misty May is the shorter brunette on the left, Kerri Walsh is the 6'3" dishwater blonde on the right.

They might get beaten in these games, but these two chickies are great athletes. Their gold medal win over the #1 seeded host Chinese team in 2008 was a great feat.

These two babes are tougher than a Waffle House steak.

Upnorth
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM

I just went with what it said on the picture. My apologies for screwing up which is which. I stand by the point of my post still.

MJZiggy
08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Ooh. I like your attitude. Maybe I can talk dirty to you, too, whisper about how deep the Packers are at cornerback...

Come closer and tell me that, baby. (like about 900 miles closer)

gbgary
08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I kinda think so. I'm not a big Olympics guy myself, altho I do watch a little of the beach volleyball. The men's game is much better - they jump higher.

camp doesn't get me going...but the preseason games do. Olympics will be over in a week so...no. i don't like watching delayed, or replayed, stuff. can't watch at work so the only Olympics I'll see will be early on the weekends...live.

George Cumby
08-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Come closer and tell me that, baby. (like about 900 miles closer)

Get a room you two!:D

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
camp doesn't get me going...but the preseason games do. Olympics will be over in a week so...no. i don't like watching delayed, or replayed, stuff. can't watch at work so the only Olympics I'll see will be early on the weekends...live.

I don't mind delay, in my DVR world, watching a sporting event live happens with about the same regularity as my church going.

Consider training camp coverage: some sports reporter watches practice and tweets that a safety intercepted a pass from the backup QB. Later that day, JoeMailman leisurely reads a summary of tweets from a sports site on his iPad during one of his afternoon "breaks", parked in a secluded, shady cul-de-sac. Later that night, he posts what he remembers. The next morning, I read Joe's garbled recollections on packerrats.com. This is far worse coverage than the NBC olympics.

LegandofthePack15
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
First post...I dont think the 8 badminton ladies that tanked their matches should've been disqualified and sent home. What they did was a bit embarrassing and kind of funny, but all they did was legally exploit a flawed system. No different than the undefeated Colts subbing Manning in their last few games or the Packers subbing Rodgers for Flynn in week 17 last season.

hoosier
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
First post...I dont think the 8 badminton ladies that tanked their matches should've been disqualified and sent home. What they did was a bit embarrassing and kind of funny, but all they did was legally exploit a flawed system. No different than the undefeated Colts subbing Manning in their last few games or the Packers subbing Rodgers for Flynn in week 17 last season.

Is a team deciding to rest its starters really comparable to tanking a game? Aren't the subs still trying their best to win? If an NFL team came out and showed an obvious lack of effort from beginning to end, that would and should be a scandal.

Oh, and welcome to PR!

denverYooper
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Misty May is the shorter brunette on the left, Kerri Walsh is the 6'3" dishwater blonde on the right.

They might get beaten in these games, but these two chickies are great athletes. Their gold medal win over the #1 seeded host Chinese team in 2008 was a great feat.

These two babes are tougher than a Waffle House steak.

Heck of a comeback from the first set loss to the Schweigers yesterday (their first lost set in 3 Olympics). KWJ was absolutely killing the ball after that first set.

Joemailman
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I think they should disqualify badminton as an Olympic sport.

ThunderDan
08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Is a team deciding to rest its starters really comparable to tanking a game? Aren't the subs still trying their best to win? If an NFL team came out and showed an obvious lack of effort from beginning to end, that would and should be a scandal.

Oh, and welcome to PR!

Like the ProBowl for one example!

ThunderDan
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Welcome to PR.

Did you actual watch the badminton or just commenting? I finally heard someone breakdown one of the games in question. One team didn't serve the shuttlecok over the net something like 5 times in a row. When they finally did serve over the net the other team hit the birdie 90 degrees from the correct direction. It wasn't just missing shots by a touch here or there it was plain out hitting it into the ground on your own side.

LegandofthePack15
08-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Oh, and welcome to PR!

The matches that the women tanked were pretty much so-called glorified exhibitions, akin to the Pack-Lion wk 17game. The women were trying to draw favorable opponents for the "playoffs," and they weren't doing anything illegal. In sports, sometimes the end justifies the mean. After all, the Pack's 15-1 season was pretty much a waste.

I am sure if losing to the Lions means the Pack could avoid the goddamn Giants in playoffs, they would tank the game in a heartbeat; probably make up an injury for Flynn and let Harrell loose.

The Colts were something like 14-0 and on the verge of history when they decided to bench Manning for that ex-Purdue qb who couldn't complete a pass to save his life. That's an insult to the game of football. Yet nobody cared.

Blame the game, not the player.

pbmax
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I am having a tough time working up much disgust with badminton teams. One of the women's soccer squads did the same thing with their last game in group play to get an easier opponent.

If that is a problem, then just reseed on another criteria. If they wish to tank in an obvious fashion, its their reputations that are hurt.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2012, 06:16 PM
If badmitton is an olympic sport, then they should also have wiffle ball, jarts, and chicken fights in the pool. Maybe even golf. Well, probably not golf.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe this is the right time to recycle Andy Baggot's list of helpful sport identifiers.

1. If you can drink alcohol and smoke a cigar while competing, then it’s not a sport.
Examples: Horseshoes, golf, bass fishing.

2. If the winner is determined solely by the work of judges, then it's not a sport.
Examples: Gymnastics, figure skating, cheerleading, ballroom dancing.

3. If an animal dies or does the heavy lifting, then it’s not a sport.
Examples: Iditarod, horse racing, hunting.

4. If you sit on your butt for hours at a time, then it's not a sport.
Examples: Chess, poker.

5. If an engine does the work, then it’s not a sport.
Examples: Auto, truck, boat and motorcycle racing.

6. If you wear a watch, long pants and a collared shirt while competing, then it’s not a sport.
Examples: Pool, bowling.

7. If there’s a script, then it’s not a sport.
Examples:WWE, RAW.

8. It’s possible to be an athlete but yours may not be a sport.
Gymnasts, golfers, cheerleaders and rodeo clowns are good examples of this.

9. The need for great eye-hand coordination doesn’t automatically mean it’s a sport.
That’s why marbles, juggling and croquet are out.

10. Competing against someone doesn't automatically mean it’s a sport.
If it did, getting the number of the woman at the end of the bar before your buddy would have leagues.

MJZiggy
08-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Get a room you two!:D
I'm trying for godssakes!

gbgary
08-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Consider training camp coverage: some sports reporter watches practice and tweets...

for some reason i like reading semi-live tweets. lol

wootah
08-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I didn't see the badminton game which caused the stirr, but it seems they should've been a little more subtle. Can't blame them in my opinion; it might be poor sportsmanship, but it's not breaking any rules. Where does this end? Is someone who's behind 4-0 in tennis and who tanks the set to save energy for the next also in fault? And what about the high jumpers who skip a jump just to put more pressure on the opponent?

It's not that the Chinese girls wanted to be out of the tournament; they wanted to lose the game so that they would improve their chances in the long run.

Anyone saw the cycling race? Right before the sprint with 2, the poor Colombian dude looked specifically away from his opponent for a couple of seconds. In the meanwhile his Kazakh opponent passed him by on the other side and won gold. Knowing that the Colombian was in theory the far better sprinter, and that the same Kazakh that has been known to buy victories in the past, it was clear what happened there. If you want fair play, fix that first.

swede
08-03-2012, 01:20 AM
I think they should disqualify badminton as an Olympic sport.

I enjoyed watching badminton, equestrian events, archery, water polo, and of course I always enjoy watching the gymnastics, swimming, and track and field events. The badminton matches look as if you could grab a racket and win a few points. I'm thinking I probably couldn't actually win a point, but it still looks a lot like the epic backyard matches of my youth.

I had never seen handball before and I thought while watching it that it was just water polo without a pool, and water polo without a pool is a little bit stupid.

I refuse to watch basketball or soccer on the grounds that they are stupid Olympic sports. (cuz really? Who on this planet could beat a good NBA team? We send mish-mashed One hand tied behind our backs teams and we are still competitive.)

There is room in my life for Training Camp and the Olympics. I'm loving following both.

swede
08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
I didn't see the badminton game which caused the stirr, but it seems they should've been a little more subtle. Can't blame them in my opinion; it might be poor sportsmanship, but it's not breaking any rules. Where does this end? Is someone who's behind 4-0 in tennis and who tanks the set to save energy for the next also in fault? And what about the high jumpers who skip a jump just to put more pressure on the opponent?

It's not that the Chinese girls wanted to be out of the tournament; they wanted to lose the game so that they would improve their chances in the long run.

Anyone saw the cycling race? Right before the sprint with 2, the poor Colombian dude looked specifically away from his opponent for a couple of seconds. In the meanwhile his Kazakh opponent passed him by on the other side and won gold. Knowing that the Colombian was in theory the far better sprinter, and that the same Kazakh that has been known to buy victories in the past, it was clear what happened there. If you want fair play, fix that first.

Goddam Kazhaks.

wootah
08-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Sprint can be found via this link: link (http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/198643/eyes-ahead.gif)

Come on now, for me this is worse than the badminton story: it's buying a gold medal in a sport known for its dubious ethics...

Edit: note that the cyclist in white is known as an experienced sprinter, so it's not like this is a rookie mistake or anything. He locates Vinokourov to his right, and then lookes left for a couple of seconds into nothing, he even turns left to make more room for Vinokourov to pass him.

Gunakor
08-03-2012, 02:53 AM

When the Packers sub in Flynn for Rodgers in week 17 they're still trying to win the game. When the Colts sub for Manning the last few games they aren't throwing the game, tanking on purpose in an effort to lose. They're playing reserve players rather than their starters but they're still playing to win. There's a difference between not putting forth your best effort to win vs. putting forth your best effort to lose. Those badminton teams were trying as hard as they could to lose the game. That's the difference, and it's very significant.

wootah
08-03-2012, 03:12 AM
When the Packers sub in Flynn for Rodgers in week 17 they're still trying to win the game. When the Colts sub for Manning the last few games they aren't throwing the game, tanking on purpose in an effort to lose. They're playing reserve players rather than their starters but they're still playing to win. There's a difference between not putting forth your best effort to win vs. putting forth your best effort to lose. Those badminton teams were trying as hard as they could to lose the game. That's the difference, and it's very significant.

That's a matter of perception, Gunakor: by losing that game, in fact they did an effort to increase their chances to win gold by drawing an easier opponent in the next round. They had their eyes on the big prize and did everything to improve their chances to reach that.

Gunakor
08-03-2012, 04:52 AM
That's a matter of perception, Gunakor: by losing that game, in fact they did an effort to increase their chances to win gold by drawing an easier opponent in the next round. They had their eyes on the big prize and did everything to improve their chances to reach that.

It's not really a matter of perception. They were trying to lose the game. They weren't trying to lose the tournament, but they were actually putting forth a strong effort to lose the game. They didn't even try to mask that.

Agreed that the round-robin format that promotes this strategy needs to be changed, but that's no excuse for what happened IMO. If you beat every team you play against they put a gold medal around your neck and play your national anthem. The goal should be to win. Every game, every point. Not just the tournament.

wootah
08-03-2012, 05:15 AM
Ok, what then with the high jumpers who forfeit jumps in order to give their opponent less time to rest? Should they be banned as well? That's who the gold medal was won in 2008 for women's high jump, by the way.

LegandofthePack15
08-03-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm sure the top ranked Chinese badminton team would play inferior talent if they could. The bottom line is, regardless of whether its the lack of effort or playing inferior talent, the message is the same: teams/players are willing to lose at least a battle to win the war.

Its an optimal strategy if losing a meaningless game gives you easier opponents or provides you with better health in elimination rounds.

Think McCarthy wouldve played Flynn instead of a healthy Rodgers if a playoff birth was on the line against the Lions? By sitting Rodgers, McCarthy pretty much was implying that that he was willing to lose the game.

It sure wouldve been nice if the NFL had suspended Randy Moss for taking plays off during his inglorious mooning days. :)

hoosier
08-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Ok, what then with the high jumpers who forfeit jumps in order to give their opponent less time to rest? Should they be banned as well? That's who the gold medal was won in 2008 for women's high jump, by the way.

Forfeiting a turn isn't comparable to tanking a game either. The premise of a game is that each team or player is trying its best to win, regardless of who is playing. When one group of players (or both groups) are visibly trying to lose, then it's no longer a game. Forfeiting a turn, on the other hand, might conceivably be part of a player's strategy to win the game. A game has an organic unity to it, and by trying to lose you destroy that unity.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
organic unity

Madtown, I think this clown needs a little time out. I suggest a 1 day ban.

ThunderDan
08-03-2012, 08:31 AM

I am not sure you are quite right on this. A high jumper can "skip" there turn at a certain height but they still get the same number of jumps at the next higher level.

If the bar is set at 6'7" and you have three misses left you can pass wait for the 6'8" level and you still have the three attempts left. You don't get two tries because you skipped the previous height.

Gunakor
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Think McCarthy wouldve played Flynn instead of a healthy Rodgers if a playoff birth was on the line against the Lions? By sitting Rodgers, McCarthy pretty much was implying that that he was willing to lose the game.

Willing to lose is not the same as actively trying to lose. That's the difference. At no point in time were McCarthy and Flynn and the Green Bay Packers actively trying to lose. Flynn wasn't pulling a Paul Crewe and throwing the game. Jordy Nelson wasn't dropping easy balls, James Starks wasn't fumbling on purpose. Those guys were playing their hearts out to win that game. And they did, in historic fashion. The two situations are absolutely nothing alike.

The badminton teams were trying to lose at all costs, not simply playing subpar with no regard to winning. It's like a soccer team kicking the ball into their own net repeatedly. It's Jim Marshall running the wrong way on purpose. It isn't giving half ass effort because you're willing to lose, it's giving full ass effort TYRING to lose. That's what makes this wrong on so many levels. It's absolutely disgusting and has no business on an Olympic stage. I salute the IOC for their decision.

Seriously, if you have gold medal aspirations and gold medal talent, what difference does it make if you play the #2 seed in the quarterfinals or the #8 seed? You are gonna have to beat the best at some point to win that gold, right? What difference does it make which day you play?

pbmax
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Put Flynn in and yes, technically, you are still trying to win. But it clearly doesn't matter if you do. The Badmintoners were guilty of actually gaining an advantage from losing.

That's on the organization, not the team. They team was trying to achieve as much as possible. Losing a battle to win a war is acceptable.

hoosier
08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
In any seeding scheme there will always be the possibility that you could gain an advantage by losing, because whatever criteria is used for seeding, there can always be a team that is objectively worse than others but which nobody really wants to face or which presents a bad matchup for a particular high seeded team. So if it's on the organization and not the team, then seeding itself is the problem.

I'm not quite convinced by the losing the battle to win the war argument. Not when you have people who have already forked out money expecting a real contest. And, for different reasons, it seems to me that something in the badminton episode violates the "amateur" spirt of the Olympics. But maybe that spirit is really just a thing of the past.

swede
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
And, for different reasons, it seems to me that something in the badminton episode violates the "amateur" spirt of the Olympics. But maybe that spirit is really just a thing of the past.

John Gielgud called. he wants his "Spirit of the Amateur" meme back. :):

http://www.nndb.com/people/589/000033490/gielgud-color.jpg

KYPack
08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
This thread is starting to suck.

Time to get things on track with mention of the USA Women's volleyball star, Destiny Hooker.

Destiny Hooker, no shit.

denverYooper
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Destiny is a baller.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I've been watching all the women's beach volleyball games, initially in search of the faint outlines of the labia majora that upnorth captured in the picture he posted. Turns out I was looking for love in all the wrong places, because I have totally fallen in love with the sport of beach volleyball. Actually, I knew it was a great sport already, I've been reminded. It is way more athletic and spectacular than regular volleyball, Destiny Hooker or not. Six players on a side is too robotic, IMO. It's amazing how unexpectedly quick and strong those women are. The shorter women are usually more impressive, they have to fool the blockers with body control & clever shots.

KYPack
08-04-2012, 09:52 AM
You cannot stop Destiny Hooker, you can only hope to contain her.

pbmax
08-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Please tell me Destiny Hooker is related to Fair Hooker, a WR for the Browns in the 70s. That name MUST live on.

KYPack
08-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Please tell me Destiny Hooker is related to Fair Hooker, a WR for the Browns in the 70s. That name MUST live on.

Fair Hooker?

There ain't no such thing.

Joemailman
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Fair Hooker?

There ain't no such thing.

http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom/f97a5675-850a-402d-a610-ec5c4999efe6.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I've watched 8 women's beach ball games, and have developed a rooting interest in one side or the other based on a system. I pull for the team with the cutest girl in hopes of seeing her again. I am 0-8, it's been a tough Olympics. I just watched the adorable Czech team fall to the Americans with testosterone-laden blocker. I sobbed when the tall blonde Russian was eliminated. The gorgeous brazilians were beat by the Austrian butch sisters. Now the Germans with the cutey are up, this is my last great hope. I know I am shallow and more than slightly pathetic, but I need this. Deutchland uber alles!

Joemailman
08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I was watching the women's triple-jump. Had to turn it off. They all look anorexic.

swede
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I was watching the women's triple-jump. Had to turn it off. They all look anorexic.

I expect better of you Joe. A comment like that and suddenly you're splashing around in the shallow end of the pool with me and the other maroons.

swede
08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Ouch! A Canadian gymnast did a one and a half twisting sommersault in the vault and face-planted.

If she's smart she'll try to get royalty rights on the .gif that is bound to go viral.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Down goes Germany. In 9 beach volleyball games, the pretty girl has been the weak link every damn time. This is hard science now. All these women are incredible athletes, they look very similar in ability to make shots. The difference is mental, and pretty girls must be a little less mentally tough.

edit: maybe the pretty girl tends to be in her early 20's. The slightly older women have lost some allure, but have grown tougher mentally. All I know for sure is that my mastabatory material has been decimated.

Pugger
08-06-2012, 10:43 AM

So do a number of the long distance runners.

Freak Out
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
....and down goes Canada! Amazing soccer game for both sides. USA vs Japan should be one hell of a battle. Redemption time for the US women?

Freak Out
08-06-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/soccer/highlights-alex-morgans-spectacular-extra-time-goal-vs-canada.html

George Cumby
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
So do a number of the long distance runners.

Most athlete's who spend lots of time in the oxidative pathway (i.e.: aerobic), especially the high end performers, have the concentration-camp survivor look.

Just look at your example of the long distance champs. Eesh.

I could go on an on about this subject, but the long and short is, they pay a high price for that type of endurance.

MJZiggy
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Most athlete's who spend lots of time in the oxidative pathway (i.e.: aerobic), especially the high end performers, have the concentration-camp survivor look.

I could go on an on about this subject, but the long and short is, they pay a high price for that type of endurance.

I like the sprinters' and divers' looks better. Yum!

ThunderDan
08-06-2012, 09:44 PM

I agree. When you are going to run 10,000m in 28 minutes it doesn't help to be 245.

swede
08-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree. When you are going to run 10,000m in 28 minutes it doesn't help to be 245.

Being 245 myself, I find it brings physical capabilities that the fat-challenged lack.

For example, my belly starts jogging while my legs are still walking. Thin people can't do that.

wootah
08-07-2012, 01:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/embed/r51E4Rb2PgU

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2012, 07:08 AM
An American Judo guy was expelled for failing a drug test for marijuana. How is that a performance enhancing drug?

wootah
08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
An American Judo guy was expelled for failing a drug test for marijuana. How is that a performance enhancing drug?

It can help to relieve stress, so I've heard.

Pugger
08-07-2012, 08:42 AM

He claimed he ingested it in something he ate before the games (brownies?:wink:).

Why were some folks giving Gabby and hard time about her hair of all things after she won the All-around? Good grief. :-x

Upnorth
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
....and down goes Canada! Amazing soccer game for both sides. USA vs Japan should be one hell of a battle. Redemption time for the US women?

Lots of people crying foul up hear about the officiating in that game. Having seen no evidence and only heard frustration over teh radio about the bs officiating I have scientifically determined that the USA womens soccer team are a bunch of cheats who paid of teh ref.

George Cumby
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Lots of people crying foul up hear about the officiating in that game. Having seen no evidence and only heard frustration over teh radio about the bs officiating I have scientifically determined that the USA womens soccer team are a bunch of cheats who paid of teh ref.

Duh. :-P

Guiness
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM

NOT anorexic. Actually, when she was standing getting ready to jump, there was even a little bit of chub around her midsection!

Guiness
08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
If badmitton is an olympic sport, then they should also have wiffle ball, jarts, and chicken fights in the pool. Maybe even golf. Well, probably not golf.

Ya, I know I'm feeding the troll :flm:, but christ, have you ever played the sport with any sort of seriousness? Because what you're saying reflects a serious lack of understanding if you're not just trying to be cute and funny.

Guiness
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Forfeiting a turn isn't comparable to tanking a game either. The premise of a game is that each team or player is trying its best to win, regardless of who is playing. When one group of players (or both groups) are visibly trying to lose, then it's no longer a game. Forfeiting a turn, on the other hand, might conceivably be part of a player's strategy to win the game. A game has an organic unity to it, and by trying to lose you destroy that unity.

And that's why it got so blatant. The Chinese didn't want to meet the other Chinese team until the finals, and were trying to get on the other side of the draw. The Koreans figured out the Chinese were trying to throw it, so to show them up they in turn tried to throw it as well. I'm not sure if it would've given them any benefit.

I didn't follow the rest of the story...8 players were DQ'd? Was there another thrown match?

Guiness
08-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Interesting. A Canadian snowboarder lost his gold because of marijuana, but it was given back because they weren't testing other athletes for it, only the snowboarders. Is it now a universally banned substance?

Freak Out
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

There was a bad handball call...or not. Play better defense and they win.

Freak Out
08-07-2012, 12:36 PM

I love the track and field events.

Upnorth
08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Ya, I know I'm feeding the troll :flm:, but christ, have you ever played the sport with any sort of seriousness? Because what you're saying reflects a serious lack of understanding if you're not just trying to be cute and funny.

I didn't know you were that passionate about wiffle ball.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Yes, I sincerely believe that badmitton is a recreational activity. Who are you calling a troll? Pull the shuttlecock out of your ass, creep, you aren't the standards and practices officer.

swede
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes, I sincerely believe that badmitton is a recreational activity. Who are you calling a troll? Pull the shuttlecock out of your ass, creep, you aren't the standards and practices officer.

This is why badminton should not be an Olympic sport.

It draws out mean-spirited hooligans.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

denverYooper
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/204636638_a603b5008c.jpg

Freak Out
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
83000 tickets sold for USA vs Japan.

KYPack
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Misty has a great butt.

USA vs USA tommorrow for the Gold in Women's volleyball

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Misty has a great butt.
yes, it is an old school woman's butt, big & round & meaty.

Misty & Kerry are so good it's breathtaking. The chinese team they beat looked just as talented, edge seems to go to experience most every time.

Gunakor
08-08-2012, 03:43 AM

To be perfectly fair, Canada has a legitimate gripe with the officiating at the end. The 6 second penalty on the Canadian GK I can support, as she had already been warned about stalling the game. But the handball that lead to Wambach's PK shouldn't have been called. The Canadian defenders arm was at her side, and by rule I thought that was how you were supposed to do it. Can't make your arm disappear, gotta put it somewhere. Wambach should have never had an opportunity to tie the game at the end of regulation by means of PK.

What a fantastic way to end it though! Not often will you see a winner scored in the 123rd minute!

Upnorth
08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
To be perfectly fair, Canada has a legitimate gripe with the officiating at the end. The 6 second penalty on the Canadian GK I can support, as she had already been warned about stalling the game. But the handball that lead to Wambach's PK shouldn't have been called. The Canadian defenders arm was at her side, and by rule I thought that was how you were supposed to do it. Can't make your arm disappear, gotta put it somewhere. Wambach should have never had an opportunity to tie the game at the end of regulation by means of PK.

What a fantastic way to end it though! Not often will you see a winner scored in the 123rd minute!

Gun, you appear to be a duel threat. Football and football knowledge, wow! Seriously I listen to a lot of talk radio and they are still going on about it up here. I agree that the handball should not have been called, but sporting history is littered with bad calls determining the outcome of games. Champions shake off a bad call and overcome, they didn't.
One comment I heard was that all the 50-50 fouls (coulda gone one way or the other) went in the US favor. Did anyone watch the game? I did not and was just stirring the pot!

One last thought, how did this thread get side tracked? She is good with the pole.http://static.insing.com/images/a9/bc/0f/00/pc_406x305.jpg

Patler
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Anyone have a link to a video of the hand ball call? I can't find one.

Zool
08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

You'll be hard pressed to find one. NBC actively scans the web and youtube for any data they own and have it removed.

Freak Out
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I have no idea where to find a good shot of it. NBC might have a entire game replay of it up. Their site is a pain though. I saw the play in question and that call gets fucked up regularly.

Sorry Canada.....now get over it.... life's to short to stress about this stuff.

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Here's one but it's poor quality. Really can't tell what she did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83mfdSb3YHM

Patler
08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Finally found a good highlights video.
Hand ball infraction occurs at about 2:30, and it is replayed in slow motion:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/soccer/highlights-u-s-women-edge-canada-in-extra-time-semifinal-thriller.html

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Finally found a good highlights video.
Hand ball infraction occurs at about 2:30, and it is replayed in slow motion:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/soccer/highlights-u-s-women-edge-canada-in-extra-time-semifinal-thriller.html

Fine. Last time I try and help you out you stupid beagle.

Upnorth
08-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Fine. Last time I try and help you out you stupid beagle.

The dog bit the hand that feeds it. Its sad.

digitaldean
08-08-2012, 11:03 PM
http://youtu.be/Yf1qjIf_oH4

There was also a pretty egregious face-stomping done by Tancredi of the Canadian squad to Carli Lloyd of the US, which, if seen, would have been a certain red card.

Refs missed a bunch in this game. Shame that the Canadians only offense was Sinclair.

easy cheesy
08-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Bob Costas Sucks

denverYooper
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Hot moms: 3, every other beach volleyball team: 0

http://www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_r/Boston/2011-2020/2012/08/08/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/150010040.r.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, I've beat this horse to death, but I'll take one more kick. All of the beach volleyball players were hot, I mean, what's not to like about athletic women in bikinis? But the real cuties were younger, and they were all relatively poor volleyball players. If you look at the teams that played for medals, 7 of the 8 women were over 30. The 7 foot chinese blocker was the exception. (not quite 7 feet, but a big girl indeed.)

What I learned is that beach volleyball is a very tactical game. All those women can smack it, smack it good. The greatest players, Misty May and the shorter chinese woman, are good at faking shots, visualizing the court, and uncannily dropping the ball exactly where it needs to be. Also it is obviously a game of nerves. So the players get better as they mature past their physical primes.

The real prime pussy, the younger brazilian team, the Czechs, the Russian blocker from heaven, all wilted under pressure. I wish I could have been there to comfort and encourage them in their moments of distress.

the U.S. rower knows what I'm talking about
http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-Shot-2012-08-07-at-17.03.53.png

mraynrand
08-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, I've beat this horse to death, but I'll take one more kick. All of the beach volleyball players were hot, I mean, what's not to like about athletic women in bikinis? But the real cuties were younger, and they were all relatively poor volleyball players. If you look at the teams that played for medals, 7 of the 8 women were over 30. The 7 foot chinese blocker was the exception. (not quite 7 feet, but a big girl indeed.)

What I learned is that beach volleyball is a very tactical game. All those women can smack it, smack it good. The greatest players, Misty May and the shorter chinese woman, are good at faking shots, visualizing the court, and uncannily dropping the ball exactly where it needs to be. Also it is obviously a game of nerves. So the players get better as they mature past their physical primes.

The real prime pussy, the younger brazilian team, the Czechs, the Russian blocker from heaven, all wilted under pressure. I wish I could have been there to comfort and encourage them in their moments of distress.

the U.S. rower knows what I'm talking about
http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-Shot-2012-08-07-at-17.03.53.png

At least four score of those 100K condoms are going directly to the guy on the right.

Guy on the left: "The water was COLD!"

Freak Out
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I just want to say again....fuck you NBC. You suck and your coverage sucks.

mraynrand
08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm relieved to see the women's soccer players have their teeth appropriately bleached.

pbmax
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Happy for the soccer team. Loss in World Cup was a very strange game. Solo really played lights out in goal.

Also, May Treanor and Walsh Jennings are simply fantastic. Misty says she is retiring, wonder what Kerri does?

KYPack
08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Happy for the soccer team. Loss in World Cup was a very strange game. Solo really played lights out in goal.

Also, May Treanor and Walsh Jennings are simply fantastic. Misty says she is retiring, wonder what Kerri does?

Walsh says she's still gonna play.

I ignore this sport once the Olympics are done.

pbmax
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Walsh says she's still gonna play.

I ignore this sport once the Olympics are done.

Its a great TV sport on a Saturday afternoon TV. Goes well with a nap.

wootah
08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hKmUq.gif

http://i.imgur.com/C2Pl7.gif