PDA

View Full Version : Here's your Packers secondary (base/nickle/dime)

RashanGary
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
BASE

CB Tramon Williams (do it all cover guy)
CB Davon House (Long, instinctive, fast, can play both man and zone)
SS Charles Woodson (He's good no matter where he plays)
FS MD Jennings (I don't like the idea of Burnett moving from FS in base to SS in nickle. Jennings looks like a pure FS to me. MM mentioned him as a young up and comer.)

NICKLE
Outside CB Tramon Williams
Outside CB Davon House
Slot CB Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett
FS MD Jennings

DIME
Outside CB Davon House
Slot CB Casey Hayward
Rover Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett
FS MD Jennings

Depth Chart

CB
Charles Woodson (Still our best corner. I'll list him as both safety and corner)
Tramon Williams
Davon House
Sam Shields
Casey Hayward
Jarrett Bush
Brandian Ross

SAFETY
Charles Woodson SS
MD Jennings FS
Morgan Burnett SS
Jaron McMillan FS

Looks like we're heavy on CB and light at safety. Could be a camp surprise out there.

i like this setup because it doesn't force Burnett to play two positions. Hayward looks like a natural slot corner, moreso than any of our other corners. I like House's chance to beat out Shields this year. Shields played good bump coverage two years ago, chasing down WR's and breaing up deep passes. He struggled in zone last year when he was forced to play off a little more. House looks like a more polished, instinctive zone player and has the ideal size/speed combo to play man too. First glance, seems like he's a better overall CB, but that's just a hunch.

Joemailman
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, that Safety scenario will be one to watch in the preseason games. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Sam Shields grab the OCB position in at least one package.

Davon House interception:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Play-of-the-day-House-picks-off-Coleman/217ac761-6dd1-44c8-b73f-665fda46b4e0

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't see Jennings playing more than Burnett, and I'd be surprised if House ended up getting more snaps than both Shields and Hayward. I think either Shields responds to the competition or Hayward takes it from him. I could see House playing in subpackages though.

BTW, that was a discouraging play by Harrell. He stared down his receiver and then noodle armed the ball out there.

BobDobbs
07-31-2012, 01:24 AM
BASE

CB Tramon Williams (do it all cover guy)
CB Davon House (Long, instinctive, fast, can play both man and zone)
SS Charles Woodson (He's good no matter where he plays)
FS MD Jennings (I don't like the idea of Burnett moving from FS in base to SS in nickle. Jennings looks like a pure FS to me. MM mentioned him as a young up and comer.)

NICKLE
Outside CB Davon House
Slot CB Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett
FS MD Jennings

DIME
Outside CB Davon House
Slot CB Casey Hayward
Rover Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett
FS MD Jennings

Depth Chart

CB
Charles Woodson (Still our best corner. I'll list him as both safety and corner)
Tramon Williams
Davon House
Sam Shields
Casey Hayward
Jarrett Bush
Brandian Ross

SAFETY
Charles Woodson SS
MD Jennings FS
Morgan Burnett SS
Jaron McMillan FS

Looks like we're heavy on CB and light at safety. Could be a camp surprise out there.

i like this setup because it doesn't force Burnett to play two positions. Hayward looks like a natural slot corner, moreso than any of our other corners. I like House's chance to beat out Shields this year. Shields played good bump coverage two years ago, chasing down WR's and breaing up deep passes. He struggled in zone last year when he was forced to play off a little more. House looks like a more polished, instinctive zone player and has the ideal size/speed combo to play man too. First glance, seems like he's a better overall CB, but that's just a hunch.

It's so hard to know until we see some preseason, but I think that Burnett is going to be on the field as a full time safety. He's bigger than Jennings and I think he's faster. In his short career when he's flashed its looked good. He closes well on the ball and ball carriers. He just gets lost out there in back sometimes. He should be able to clean that up with film study.

Plus the Packers always say that their safeties are interchangeable. I don't know if I believe that, but I don't think they worry too much about asking a third year guy to play near the line or in centerfield.

I do think that Shields will make it onto the field in the dime. You want his speed outside and if you're playing dime, then you're not expecting a run. I expect that he'll make it as the nickle. He's just a gifted player and if he plays like he can, I don't see someone else winning that job over the course of camp.

The propaganda coming out of camp says that all the guys are playing great. So, who knows maybe House has made a big leap or Hayward is just pro ready right out of the box. But I see it as Burnett playing the other safety and Shields at CB in the "base". Then Jennings coming on to move Woodson closer to the line in the nickle. Then Bush or maybe House manning the other inside CB in the dime.

Joemailman
07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't see Jennings playing more than Burnett, and I'd be surprised if House ended up getting more snaps than both Shields and Hayward. I think either Shields responds to the competition or Hayward takes it from him. I could see House playing in subpackages though.

BTW, that was a discouraging play by Harrell. He stared down his receiver and then noodle armed the ball out there.

Actually, that was Coleman. You're right though. He just kind of went through the motions on that one. Gotta love the DB competition though. A lot different than last year.

Fritz
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
It's all so fluffy right now; who knows? I just know that Davon "Take It to the" House has a good name, but then again, if Sam Shields gets it back together, I'm going to once again pitch to him my idea for a new product: condoms called "Sam's Shields." The tag line will be "Covers anything, catches everything."

Although I suppose if Jarrett Bush wins the starting gig I could come up with a feminine hygiene product for him to hype.

pbmax
07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Not enough Bush. He is ahead of Shields, House and Heyward if current reports and practice reps are to be believed.

Brandon494
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Per Packers Training Camp:

It’s beginning to sound like a broken record, but McCarthy again praised (when prompted) CB Davon House Tuesday. McCarthy said House’s body type is well-suited for bump-and-run coverage and that he is playing off that strength early in camp. “Definitely a different player this year,” McCarthy said. Sounds more and more like House is being groomed as a player much like Al Harris was during his time in Green Bay.

McCarthy said that CB Sam Shields was getting better with his technique, but that it still needs improvement. He still relies too much on his speed. No surprise there. Shields still peeks into the backfield too often and, because of that fault, gets beat on double moves.

Joemailman
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Not enough Bush. He is ahead of Shields, House and Heyward if current reports and practice reps are to be believed.

He'll get some reps inside in dime. Just can't seem him playing on the corner once the games count. Some combination of House, Shields and Hayward will have the corner.

smuggler
07-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Yikes. Nice rookie pass, Coleman. Guy's double covered? You're staring him down? Lob it in there!

Deputy Nutz
07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
house will lock up the 2nd spot by the time camp is over if he continues to play at the same level he has at the beginning of camp. He will push Bush to the 3rd spot and Shields will be lucky to make the team if he doesn't pick up his play. Bush can always help out at Safety and he is a good special teams player.

Corners
Williams
House
Bush
Heyward
Shields

Safety
Woodson
Burnett
Jennings
McMillian

Fritz
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Here's a take on the old children's junior high rhyme:

Sam Shields is no friend of mine,
He will blow it every time.
In the nickle or the dime,
Fifty cents in overtime.
If a runner's running hard,
Sam will blow it, like a 'tard.

pbmax
07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Bad form to report on your own post, but it belongs here too. House went with the 1s today for the entire day, including #1s versus #1s in the 11 on 11 drill. Film at 5, 6 and 10.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24213-HOMER-JUICE-ON-HAYWARD&p=676055&viewfull=1#post676055

Fritz
07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Wonder how it will play out by, say, the end of the third pre-season game.

Joemailman
07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Wonder how it will play out by, say, the end of the third pre-season game.

The decisions will probably be made before the 3rd preseason game since the guys who are going to be the starters usually play most of that game.

RashanGary
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like I was a couple days too soon. Burnett looks to be ready to rumble this year.

Fritz
08-01-2012, 05:37 AM
So is anyone hearing anything about Anthony Levine? Does he have any practice squad eligibility left? I wonder if one spot will come down to Shields versus Levine? Or will the Pack count Woodson as a safety and keep only three?

smuggler
08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Shields does play on special teams, as well. I can't see us keeping Levine at the cost of Shields, even if Shields gets bumped from starting.

Brandon494
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Y'all are seriously smoking something if you think Shields is getting cut from the team. I'm all about the House and Hayward hype as well but neither have any game experience plus Shields is young, cheap, and fast. He just needs to get his technique better, the talent is there.

Brandon494
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
So is anyone hearing anything about Anthony Levine? Does he have any practice squad eligibility left? I wonder if one spot will come down to Shields versus Levine? Or will the Pack count Woodson as a safety and keep only three?

Thats what I'm thinking, I see them going with Ross over Levine at this time but camp is far from over.

Brandon494
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
BTW Woodson is not our best corner, Tramon Williams clearly is when healthy.

Upnorth
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Y'all are seriously smoking something if you think Shields is getting cut from the team. I'm all about the House and Hayward hype as well but neither have any game experience plus Shields is young, cheap, and fast. He just needs to get his technique better, the talent is there.

I agree with Brandon here. Last year he was asked to do a lot more in the defense than his rookie year and it kinda overwhelmed him. If he plays to his strenghts he has the athleticism to get the job done once his head is on straight. I am hoping it was just the sophmore slump and he makes a surge in the pre-season.

Zool
08-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree with Brandon here. Last year he was asked to do a lot more in the defense than his rookie year and it kinda overwhelmed him. If he plays to his strenghts he has the athleticism to get the job done once his head is on straight. I am hoping it was just the sophmore slump and he makes a surge in the pre-season.

He's not getting cut. He's far too cheap and has big-game experience. McCarthy specifically called him out yesterday though saying he's relying on his speed too much. He needs to start listening to coaching more I bet.

Smidgeon
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM

+1

Patler
08-01-2012, 02:30 PM

I think Levine has been on the practice squad for 8 or 9 years already. Seems like it anyway. Probably can't hide him there another year.

He was doomed from the time I gave him my Atlas Herrion endorsement as a player to watch in camp a year or two ago.

Fritz
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I think Levine has been on the practice squad for 8 or 9 years already. Seems like it anyway. Probably can't hide him there another year.

He was doomed from the time I gave him my Atlas Herrion endorsement as a player to watch in camp a year or two ago.

By golly I think you're correct. Here's Levine's picture in last year's training camp guide:

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/00/86/63/700-00866308w.jpg

LegandofthePack15
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
BTW Woodson is not our best corner, Tramon Williams clearly is when healthy.

Seems like Williams is using injury as an excuse for mediocre plays. The guy got beat deep too much last season.

Why Whitt continues to give Bush reps on defense is beyond me. Bush has proved time and again that he can't cover.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Seems like Williams is using injury as an excuse for mediocre plays.

Except, by all accounts, it was a legit injury that limited his play.

Zool
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM

Watching games last year, I saw Shields and Williams both expecting over the top help many times when it just didnt exist. Nick Collins, you will be missed. Charlie Peprah, you will not.

LegandofthePack15
08-02-2012, 05:28 PM

The shoulder injury limited Williams ability to play bump and run. In Bob Sanders' system, that injury might handicap the Packers somewhat. Pack dont play much bump and run under Capers.

Williams gave up too many bombs to too many wide open receivers. I dont think the injury limited Williams ability to run.

pbmax
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
The shoulder injury limited Williams ability to play bump and run. In Bob Sanders' system, that injury might handicap the Packers somewhat. Pack dont play much bump and run under Capers.

Williams gave up too many bombs to too many wide open receivers. I dont think the injury limited Williams ability to run.

They do play a lot of man on the outside, though not exclusively. And Williams likes to get a jam, more than Woodson, but less than Harris. So Williams does play a fair amount of bump and run. A shoulder injury also hurts his ability to redirect receivers in the 5 yard bump zone, not just the LOS. The coaches have said his injury cost him, but how much we can't judge until he plays an actual opponent this year.

He also was not helped by subpar safety play, which, in 2010, would have corrected some of those long pass errors.

sharpe1027
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Why Whitt continues to give Bush reps on defense is beyond me. Bush has proved time and again that he can't cover.

Bush is no blanket cover guy, but he offers utility, good special teams play, a reasonable price and he generally stays healthy. Not to mention that he has shown steady improvement year-to-year. Without him we would have been forced to play guys like Brandon Underwood.

IMO, too many people made up their minds after his first few games, where he looked completely lost. It won't matter what he does from here on out, he's stuck with those opinions for good.

Zool
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Bush is no blanket cover guy, but he offers utility, good special teams play, a reasonable price and he generally stays healthy. Not to mention that he has shown steady improvement year-to-year. Without him we would have been forced to play guys like Brandon Underwood.

IMO, too many people made up their minds after his first few games, where he looked completely lost. It won't matter what he does from here on out, he's stuck with those opinions for good.

He still plays way out of position, just less often than he used to.

sharpe1027
08-03-2012, 03:38 PM
He still plays way out of position, just less often than he used to.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing that he is Woodson 2.0. My point is that he is a serviceable backup; or at least better than the next best option. To be fair though, all DBs play out of position.