PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid's son found dead

Patler
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Story unfolding:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/eagles/story/2012-08-05/garrett-reid-dead-andy-reid-eagles/56800662/1

MJZiggy
08-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow, that is really sad. No parent should ever have to go through this.

sheepshead
08-05-2012, 11:10 AM
When you look at some of the others and how how messed up Lombardi's kids were, there's a toll to put that product on the field it seems.

MJZiggy
08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
When you look at some of the others and how how messed up Lombardi's kids were, there's a toll to put that product on the field it seems.
I'm not sure. Tony Dungy made it a point to have his kids around with him and to be home for them and there for them as much as possible. In this case I wonder if it wasn't also about the obscene amounts of money that they have at their disposal...

Kiwon
08-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Dungy's son committed suicide. However, the USA Today article just says that he was found "unresponsive."

Drug overdose or suicide, it's very sad to see. But the warning signs were there for years. I expected Reid to step away from coaching after the drug convictions of his sons, but he didn't. My heart goes out to him now.

Guiness
08-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Dungy's son committed suicide. However, the USA Today article just says that he was found "unresponsive."

Drug overdose or suicide, it's very sad to see. But the warning signs were there for years. I expected Reid to step away from coaching after the drug convictions of his sons, but he didn't. My heart goes out to him now.

He took some time off - a few months I think? I don't remember hearing anything about his sons getting in trouble after that.

Kiwon
08-05-2012, 09:52 PM
He took some time off - a few months I think? I don't remember hearing anything about his sons getting in trouble after that.

Yeah, he took six weeks off in 2007. Garrett did get another two-year sentence in 2008.

Here is the saddest part of the article, "According to court documents, he told a judge in July 2007: 'I liked being a drug dealer. (But) I don't want to die doing drugs. I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'd and just faded into oblivion.'"

What a sad, almost prophetic, statement. I know multiple parents and grandparents of drug-addicted adult children and it's heartbreaking to see the unending pain and drama they live with. I hope Britt Reid will stay strong and be okay after his brother's sudden death.

digitaldean
08-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Sad, sad day. Reid and his family have had enough to go through due to their son's drug addiction. Sounded like he had started to turn things around and was helping the strength coach during training camp. Parents aren't supposed to bury their children.

Pugger
08-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Has there been a report of cause of death? All I heard was it wasn't foul play. I really feel for Andy and his family. I don't think a parent ever gets over the loss of a child like this no matter the age of the child. :sad:

GrnBay007
08-07-2012, 02:43 AM
RIP! And hopefully the media will respect the Reid's privacy and let them grieve in peace.

Kiwon
08-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Reid offers statement of thanks after son 'lost the battle'

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/08/eagles-andy-reid-releases-statement-of-thanks-after-son-lost-the-battle/1