PDA

View Full Version : Female ref for Thursaday's game

KYPack
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
The LA Times reports...

A woman will be one of the officials for the Green Bay-San Diego exhibition game Thursday night. It will be the first time a woman has officiated an NFL game.

The Los Angeles Times identified the woman as Shannon Eastin, who has worked collegiate games for more than a decade.

Kiwon
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Why? To make a statement about some imagined "social progress"?

I'm ready to begin a second career as a sports reporter with access to the women's locker room. Stop the hate! :roll:

MadScientist
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Hopefully the people in the stands won't even notice her. I'd say the people watching at home as well, but the TV idiots undoubtedly won't shut up about her.

Zool
08-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Hopefully the people in the stands won't even notice her. I'd say the people watching at home as well, but the TV idiots undoubtedly won't shut up about her.

Yup. She'll probably do fine but they'll make a big deal about everything she does.

pbmax
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM

I'm ready to begin a second career as a sports reporter with access to the women's locker room. Stop the hate! :roll:

Perhaps she applied for the job when the NFL locked out the regular refs. Or are they on strike? As you can tell, I have not been paying much attention.

Lurker64
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure nothing about the referee's job has anything to do with secondary sexual characteristics, so if she's qualified... why not?

I'm inclined to think none of the scab refs are really qualified, but she's probably not worse than the rest of them.

MadScientist
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Well, here's why:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/shannon-eastin/

Sounds like she has an adequate background, although it reads like she had more experience as a basketball ref. I expect she will be fine as a line judge, on par with the other scabs.

channtheman
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
What?! No dick? How could a woman possibly ref an NFL game? And a PRESEASON game at that!

KYPack
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, here's why:

Sounds like she has an adequate background, although it reads like she had more experience as a basketball ref. I expect she will be fine as a line judge, on par with the other scabs.

She's WAYYYY too green to be officiating an NFL game.

4 years in a minor conference like the MEAC?

But some of the other scabs are worse.

One guy was fired by the Lingerie league halfway thru the year.

Probably caught the boy playin' with the goods.

Joemailman
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
She's WAYYYY too green to be officiating an NFL game.

4 years in a minor conference like the MEAC?

But some of the other scabs are worse.

One guy was fired by the Lingerie league halfway thru the year.

Probably caught the boy playin' with the goods.

Illegal use of the hands.

Kiwon
08-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Well, here's why:

Yeah, she probably will. She's got 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes, 2 ears, is healthy and has a desire to be a pro ref. Good for her.

Like most refs, I hope that she is seen, but not heard from. The action is on the field.

Instead, the lazy PC media will play up that being born a woman makes her a victim, discriminated against because she wanted to work in a "man's world." Shannon Eastin is Jackie Robinson in a bra. She's breaking this supposed (maybe, imaginary) impregnable barrier and we as a country should feel guilty and proud at the same time at her inclusion.

Well, when do the transgendered refs get their shot? What about those in wheelchairs? The vertically-challenged? When will the NFL field an all-gay crew? O, when will our racist, sexist, homophobic country finally shed itself of intolerance and check off all the diversity boxes so that we can declare our "evolved"?

Frankly, WHO CARES if she uses a urinal or not? I, and a lot of people, don't. But to a certain segment of society, and especially the liberal media, having her included in a referee crew is some earthshaking social statement that corrects some past injustice. (YAWN.) I say, just ref the game and make the right calls, please.

MadScientist
08-08-2012, 09:50 AM
It gives them an excuse to hype a preseason game that would otherwise only be of interest to hard-core fans, driving up the ratings. TV will hype anything if they think it can give them an extra ratings point.

It also works to the NFL's advantage by deflecting criticism for not getting the ref strike/lockout settled, because giving a woman a chance comes across a good thing and therefore the replacements are not a bad thing.

Once the real refs are back, nobody will give a damn about this again.

MadtownPacker
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I doubt anyone will notice her.

http://www.refcostume.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sexyreferee.jpg

Freak Out
08-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I doubt anyone will notice her.

http://www.refcostume.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sexyreferee.jpg

As far as I'm concerned all the officials should look like this.

Kiwon
08-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Since we are talking about replacement refs......... What about her? Brett Favre would have his GB jersey retired at a pre-season game if Jenn Sterger were there.

http://concede330.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/jenn-sterger-brett-favre-scandal2.jpg

Bretsky
08-09-2012, 01:36 AM
My first reaction to thread............is she hot ?

Pugger
08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
This isn't the best photo of her:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8249229/espnw-nfl-replacement-ref-shannon-eastin-ready-scrutiny

Tony Oday
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
It will be interesting to see her try to break up a pile up and get pushed...

In all seriousness there was an article on Fox Sports about the lady that should be getting this honor because she is an actual ref or would have been before the lockout and they hand it to this lady...whatever as long as nobody notices her and she can do her job who cares?

mraynrand
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Since we are talking about replacement refs......... What about her? Brett Favre would have his GB jersey retired at a pre-season game if Jenn Sterger were there.

http://concede330.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/jenn-sterger-brett-favre-scandal2.jpg

We're talking replacement refs, not replacement wives.

mraynrand
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah, she probably will. She's got 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes, 2 ears, is healthy and has a desire to be a pro ref. Good for her.

Like most refs, I hope that she is seen, but not heard from. The action is on the field.

Instead, the lazy PC media will play up that being born a woman makes her a victim, discriminated against because she wanted to work in a "man's world." Shannon Eastin is Jackie Robinson in a bra. She's breaking this supposed (maybe, imaginary) impregnable barrier and we as a country should feel guilty and proud at the same time at her inclusion.

Well, when do the transgendered refs get their shot? What about those in wheelchairs? The vertically-challenged? When will the NFL field an all-gay crew? O, when will our racist, sexist, homophobic country finally shed itself of intolerance and check off all the diversity boxes so that we can declare our "evolved"?

Frankly, WHO CARES if she uses a urinal or not? I, and a lot of people, don't. But to a certain segment of society, and especially the liberal media, having her included in a referee crew is some earthshaking social statement that corrects some past injustice. (YAWN.) I say, just ref the game and make the right calls, please.

There's enough troubles to carp about without having to invent new ones. Let it go, K.