PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson - A Packer?

Fosco33
08-10-2012, 05:28 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/08/packers-to-sign-rb-cedric-benson/

Hmmm

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
If true I like the pickup, power north to south runner who rarely gets stopped for negative yards.

pbmax
08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Its true. All the GBPG and JSO writers have confirmed on Twitter.

Bretsky is on a roll.

Joemailman
08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I wasn't crazy about this idea when it was brought up earlier. However, Saine is out with a hamstring, Green isn't ready for major duty, and watching Tyler brought back memories of Noah Herron.

gbpackfan
08-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Love the idea. Starks is a not a starter. Tyler is slow and Green is a 3rd down back. Saine is the only RB on the roster that could handle the rock down after down. He's hurt. Ced Ben has been a very good RB the last couple of years. I really like this signing.

Tony Oday
08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet a guy that will excel when we are in a 4 WR set and he has one LBer to take out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
CEdric Fucking Benson? Count me unenthused. But maybe Starks has played himself out of a job and I need to buck up.

ps.
http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00000527/benson-6.jpg

Has anybody actually seen this TV show?

Freak Out
08-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Can he play LT?

pbmax
08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
CEdric Fucking Benson? Count me unenthused. But maybe Starks has played himself out of a job and I need to buck up.

ps.
[IM]http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00000527/benson-6.jpg[/IMG]

Has anybody actually seen this TV show?

Yes. Also saw SOAP.

RashanGary
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes. Also saw SOAP.

Makes sense. I have a feeling Starks won't be on this team. Benson, Saine and Green.

Tony Oday
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I would think Grant will come back too...Benson fumbles too much as well...

Joemailman
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I wonder what Ryan Grant is thinking.

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
LMAO at all you guys dismissing Starks after one preseason game.

MadScientist
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
But maybe Starks has played himself out of a job and I need to buck up.
Yes and yes.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder what Ryan Grant is thinking.

He's not doing a lot of thinking, he's feeling, and that feeling is pretty shitty.

King Friday
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM

He's just a guy...and I don't need this preseason to tell me that. He's always been just a guy.

sheepshead
08-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Love the idea. Starks is a not a starter. Tyler is slow and Green is a 3rd down back. Saine is the only RB on the roster that could handle the rock down after down. He's hurt. Ced Ben has been a very good RB the last couple of years. I really like this signing.

+1

LegandofthePack15
08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Saine is the only RB on the roster that could handle the rock down after down.

Since when? Saine's only useful on Madden where he's the Pack fastest rb. 3rd down back at best.

But agreed with you regarding Benson. The guy's a poor man Marshawn Lynch.

Brando19
08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I was really hoping to swing a trade for Jonathan Stewart or Jones Drew (no way we could afford Jones Drew, but wishful thinking.) Benson will be our starting back. He's way better than Starks.

Guiness
08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Dude's only 29? I assume he can be had for or near the vet minimum. Would make sense to bring him to camp.

Seems like 20 years ago that he was a *cough* Bear. He's been well behaved since leaving there, so I don't see a problem that way.

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 08:09 PM
He's just a guy...and I don't need this preseason to tell me that. He's always been just a guy.

Hes more than just a guy and its cheap, its no way he will not make this roster. Alex Green might be a stud but we don't know yet and Saine is decent but he is no where near the player Starks is right now.

imscott72
08-10-2012, 08:15 PM
People are throwing Starks to the trash heap way too early..I remember when Ahman Green had fumbling problems too..He turned out all right..

red
08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
interesting

Bossman641
08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Who is the odd man out? No way they give up on Green. MM has been talking up Saine quite a bit. Is Starks on the bubble? Seems like an overreaction but I have no clue how Starks has been practicing.

RashanGary
08-10-2012, 09:04 PM
In the famous words of Bretsky. . . "This is a very Hoody-Genius type move." For how many years have the Patriots dominated on offense with less than stellar veteran RBs who do nothing more than get a couple quick yards, catch out of the backfield and protect Brady like their life depended on it?

A true dynamic QB doesn't need a running back to actually run for big yards. A great QB needs 2nd and 7, 3rd and 3. . .. . He needs to have good pass protection. Starks does neither. He gets quite a few negative plays, and he's a piss-poor pass protector.

As long as Benson is going forward (like Grant does) and blocks, he'll keep giving AR alive and in favorable down and distances. Our yards and points come through the air. Benson is a good fit here.

And to Brandon. . . . You are retarded.

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm retarded? Why? Because I'm not overacting after one preseason game.

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't even know why we signed Benson anyway, does TT not know Alex Green will go down as one of the best RBs in Green Bay history.

RashanGary
08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't even know why we signed Benson anyway, does TT not know Alex Green will go down as one of the best RBs in Green Bay history.

Because every RB on every roster in the NFL is somewhere near the runner Starks is. He takes a lot of negative runs. He has 2 fumbles in 162 carries. That's good for 3 or 4 fumbles a year, that is if he could ever actually play a year. He has 578 career yards in three seasons. He fucking sucks.

But the real mother fucker for him, the reason he's going to be cut, is because he's a shit pass protector. There is zero room on this team for a RB who can't pass protect.

Now, there's a chance he makes it. I'm not certain of anything, but don't sit here and talk about James "turnstile" Starks like he's some sort of standout NFL RB, a guy heads and tails above Brandon Saine. Just a guy might be a compliment to James Starks. And as pedestrian as his shitty 3-year career has been, if he gets AR killed, everyone on the Packers who decided to keep him around would be shooting themselves in the foot, if not the head.

We have the reigning NFL MVP, the guy voted to be the best player in the NFL by his peers. He's 28 years old, in the prime of his career. WE're talking about putting a guy who can't pass protect on the field because he's such a dynamic (578 yards in 3 years) talent. You're retarded because you talk in such certainties about things you know nothing about.

BobDobbs
08-10-2012, 09:55 PM
The James Starks man hunt is on. Grab the torches and pitchforks. He might get cut. It's not like he's facing amazing competition. One guy is coming back from an ACL, one guy is undrafted but has some speed, on guy went undrafted and has no speed, and one guy has to get through the preseason without punching anyone. This is not the wide receiver corps, Starks is going to have a good chance to play himself onto the 53. And he might even be our starter. They've all got three more games to show and prove.

Upnorth
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Hes more than just a guy and its cheap, its no way he will not make this roster. Alex Green might be a stud but we don't know yet and Saine is decent but he is no where near the player Starks is right now.
While I agree Starks is better than Saine or Green he has never consistently shown any thing to warrant being a starter.
Like other wonder is Benson better than Grant?

Brandon494
08-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Because every RB on every roster in the NFL is somewhere near the runner Starks is. He takes a lot of negative runs. He has 2 fumbles in 162 carries. That's good for 3 or 4 fumbles a year, that is if he could ever actually play a year. He has 578 career yards in three seasons. He fucking sucks.

But the real mother fucker for him, the reason he's going to be cut, is because he's a shit pass protector. There is zero room on this team for a RB who can't pass protect.

Now, there's a chance he makes it. I'm not certain of anything, but don't sit here and talk about James "turnstile" Starks like he's some sort of standout NFL RB, a guy heads and tails above Brandon Saine. Just a guy might be a compliment to James Starks. And as pedestrian as his shitty 3-year career has been, if he gets AR killed, everyone on the Packers who decided to keep him around would be shooting themselves in the foot, if not the head.

We have the reigning NFL MVP, the guy voted to be the best player in the NFL by his peers. He's 28 years old, in the prime of his career. WE're talking about putting a guy who can't pass protect on the field because he's such a dynamic (578 yards in 3 years) talent. You're retarded because you talk in such certainties about things you know nothing about.

And exactly what did I say again?

Lurker64
08-10-2012, 10:56 PM
At this point in their careers, Benson is a much better inside zone runner than Starks is. Starks habitually tries to take everything outside even when the hole is, say, Between Sitton and Bulaga.

Compared to Grant, Benson is a lot tougher in between the tackles, and Grant's best aspect is his home run speed, something that Saine can probably manage if you get him in space, and let's be honest this team doesn't really need home runs from the running game. This team needs "keep the clock moving" and "convert short yardage" runs from its running game, which is something that Benson probably does better than Grant.

RashanGary
08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
While I agree Starks is better than Saine or Green he has never consistently shown any thing to warrant being a starter.
Like other wonder is Benson better than Grant?

None of us have any clue if Starks is better than Saine or Green. We have one guy who's had a pedestrian 3 year career and two complete unknowns.

Late round draft picks/undrafted guys are a little like rolling dice. We rolled the Starks dice. He came up a 2. Now we have Green and Saine. We have no clue where the dice is going to fall with these guys.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet both Green and Saine are better than Starks. Both are in developmental stages. Signing Benson shows they are not confident in Starks being their guy. A guy like Starks, he's no longer a "see what we might have" developmental guy. He is what he is. Either he's the guy or he's not.

Benson is already the guy they're hanging their hat on, as a starter. Now it's roll a couple dice on the developmental guys or roll one dice and keep the "2" with Starks. As far as I'm concerned, if Benson is the guy (and he's clearly better than Starks in every way imaginable) then I'd rather role two dice than have Starks in the way of a possible gem. To be honest, there aren't many running backs worse than James Starks, so why not roll a roll a couple dice and see what you might get.

Worst case, Green and Saine don't develop at all, and suck ass when the lights come on. What then, we lost the great James Starks. Well, go sign Ryan Fucking Grant or any number of so/so running backs who have been more productive than Starks.

Who knows. . . . But this idea that James Starks is anything better "just a guy" I don't know where it's coming from, or what games they're watching, but he's a JAG if there has ever been one.

Guiness
08-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Did I miss something? Is he signed?

Looked around the sights, don't see anything yet, everyone here seems to acting like it's a done deal!

MadtownPacker
08-11-2012, 12:44 AM
What's the worse that can happen and Benson should be motivated = great move by TT.

Bossman641
08-11-2012, 12:45 AM

Benson isn't much of a pass blocker himself, has 12 fumbles the past 2 years on 594 carries (a much worse rate than Starks), and only has 43 catches over the past 2 years.

I'm not a fan

OS PA
08-11-2012, 02:14 AM
I say we run with only three te's this year, 4 rb's, and 1 fb.

pbmax
08-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I say we run with only three te's this year, 4 rb's, and 1 fb.

That's crazy talk right there. Who will play on mediocre special teams?

Back to Starks and CedBen. Let me play Nutz here for a moment. Everyone is selling Starks stock as fast as they can and pretending they weren't excited as children at Christmas when Starks went ProBowl versus the 49ers and had league high yardage through the playoffs. Everyone was eager to replace Grant (except maybe Harv?) because there was no high end with him. A running back who can go long is great unless he can only go long if he doesn't need to change course or make someone miss. When the best you can say about a running back is that he always falls forward, you are in AJ Hawk replaceable territory.

Starks was inconsistent last year and I think Lurker hit on the key point that he was mainly inconsistent inside, where some of his best runs came from the year before. Maddening. He has better hands and timing with the passing game than Grant did; he has the only screen plays you could be proud of as a Packer fan in the last two years.

But pass pro has never been his thing and it was obvious he would be a liability as a 3rd down back. So Starks seemed ticketed to do Grants job on first and second down. Fine and dandy. But Finley apparently unloaded his bad hands from last year on Starks over at Craig's List and he has developed a pattern of fumbling (though the first one versus SD was some other kind of mistake as he never got the ball cleanly-still could be his fault). What do you do to a player who has more to prove and is instead going backward (Daryn Colledge)?

You bench him and stick someone else in there. CedBen's numbers are worse than Grants, so I am not entirely clear on that choice. CedBen has more wear and does not have Grant's top gear, though he can shake one guy and still run someone over. Not sure about his pass pro, but the Packers were already working on a Green/Saine 3rd down contingency I would think. Grant was fine for a while and the Packers refused to use him as the 3rd down back.

So the Packers signed a guy who might be worse and more used up than the guy they refuse to resign (Grant) and whose only clear advantage is running between the tackles. So either M3 is planning on running a lot of inside running plays behind Jeff Saturday, or Starks hasn't been cut yet.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2012, 09:36 AM
The GMs around the league don't think Ryan Grant is very good.

mraynrand
08-11-2012, 10:16 AM

TT knows. Benson is insurance. How is Green's knee? Is he ready? How is his pass pro? Maybe he's just a bit too 'green'....

Starks is 'injury prone' LOL

rbaloha1
08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Starks is injury prone and inconsistent. Its tough to gauge Green since he runs behind a pathetic second team o-line. Saine is promising but hurt. Tyler is a practice squad candidate.

At first blush, the pick-up of CB is puzzling given the character issues. Its interesting that TT's protege at Oakland was also interested.

As mentioned previously is punishing between the tackle runner for first and second down. Green is the third down back. Should Saine improve quickly, Starks could be the odd man out.

Overall I like the move. TT is always look to improve the team's talent and has learned about being too passive with available players like Moss and Lynch.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 11:46 AM
And exactly what did I say again?

You claimed Starks was "more than just a guy", which blew up in your face Thursday night.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Starks is injury prone and inconsistent. Its tough to gauge Green since he runs behind a pathetic second team o-line. Saine is promising but hurt. Tyler is a practice squad candidate.

Overall I like the move. TT is always look to improve the team's talent and has learned about being too passive with available players like Moss and Lynch.

I like Green, but he has learning to do (since he played college ball in a spread offense) and he's coming off a major injury that will likely limit his chances to work on building his knowledge this preseason. He certainly looks to be someone who could develop into a very good 3rd down back, although I'm not sure if he will develop into an every down back in the NFL. Saine is a big question mark to me...he appears to have talent, but it doesn't seem to flash as often as Green by the accounts I've seen. Maybe if he ever gets healthy and has a chance with the first team, he'll look better. All the uncertainty really made it necessary to sign Benson.

By all accounts, Benson has kept quiet and been a good soldier the last 3-4 years...and was reasonably productive doing so. I highly doubt he will be an issue in Green Bay, where the offense has plenty of veteran leadership and where Benson should have an inside track to getting a lot of carries in 2012. He probably doesn't have a lot of tread left on his tires, but the Packers aren't counting on him long term anyway.

The signing does appear to suggest that TT is acknowledging his current strategy at RB isn't getting the job done. He got lucky with Grant being available and having a few nice seasons. Other than that, Thompson has yet to find a RB who is a legitimate starting caliber back during his tenure.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I remember the game that the Packers held Barry Sanders to 12 yards. On that basis, I'd say that James Starks had a Barry Sanders like performance Thursday.

I agree with I.M. Scott that people are overreacting to one bad game.

But I've also heard rumblings that Starks has had a slow training camp. That rumble came from a Tim Van Vooren radio inteview. Van Vooren compared Blaine to old Packer back Tony Fischer. He was a guy who could shine in spot play, but flopped as a starter. To paraphrase Van Vooren, the Packers have pretty crappy running backs.

VegasPackFan
08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I think I had a post last year that asked if anyone thought Starks had any kind of breakaway speed. I think it helps to have a Ahman Green/Ryan Grant type talent back there where they can break off a long one or take it all the way. Starks hasn't shown ANY of that. Saine definitely has that type of speed. I think Alex Green does. Benson just might be the good solid guy we need in order to either develop these tow further or find someone else next year.

VegasPackFan
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
My next post will be number 1,000. Not a very good rate considering my join date but oh well. At least I cant be accused of blathering on like all you other idiots. :smile:

Patler
08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not a big fan of this signing, with Grant still available. Possible character differences aside, I think Grant is a better player.

Benson's career average is just 3.8 yards/carry. Grant's worst season was 3.9.
Benson's best season was 2009 at 4.2 yards/carry. Grants career average is better than that, at 4.3.

At his worst, Grant was better than Benson's average for his career.
At his best, Benson was worse than Grant's average for his career.

In 91 games playing enough to have 1500+ carries, Benson has just 106 receptions for 6.9 yds./rec.
In 63 games playing similarly enough to have 924 carries, Grant has 92 receptions for 7.9 yds/rec.

Benson: 19 fumbles in 1,635 touches.
Grant : 7 fumbles in 1,016 touches

Just seems like a step back from what Grant had to offer. It might be just the contracts each was willing to consider at this point.
Or, since they know Grant, this could be just a 1 or 2 week tryout for Benson, to see if anything about his game is more appealing than what Grant has to offer..

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Why no interest in Grant around the league?

Just did a quick google. San Diego already signed has-been Ronnie Brown, and they need another back due to injury. Scout says Grant doesn't fit because of no pass catching ability.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/61450/chargers-not-looking-for-new-rb

Older article says Grant wanted too much money from Lions:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-no-one-signed-ryan-210042371--nfl.html

Brandon494
08-11-2012, 01:40 PM
You claimed Starks was "more than just a guy", which blew up in your face Thursday night.

Oh you mean the first pregame game of the year in which Aaron Rodgers went 2-8 with a INT? Oh you got me! :bclap:

pbmax
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of this signing, with Grant still available. Possible character differences aside, I think Grant is a better player.

Benson's career average is just 3.8 yards/carry. Grant's worst season was 3.9.
Benson's best season was 2009 at 4.2 yards/carry. Grants career average is better than that, at 4.3.

In 91 games playing enough to have 1500+ carries, Benson has just 106 receptions for 6.9 yds./rec.
In 63 games playing similarly enough to have 924 carries, Grant has 92 receptions for 7.9 yds/rec.

Benson: 19 fumbles in 1,635 touches.
Grant : 7 fumbles in 1,016 touches

Just seems like a step back from what Grant had to offer. It might be just the contracts each was willing to consider at this point.
Or, since they know Grant, this could be just a 1 or 2 week tryout for Benson, to see if anything about his game is more appealing than what Grant has to offer..

A possible answer: is he the best all around back on the roster if he signs? I seem to remember him being OK on screens. If he can pass block, he would be a potential every down back. Might be a bridge to Saine or Green. I am grasping at straws here unless the Packers are convinced a 2 down back like Grant will be available through the preseason.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Stats aren't EVERYTHING, Patler. Grant has had the benefit of playing on teams with highly prolific passing offenses/QBs, where the defense has not been able to key entirely on him. Benson played in Chicago (enough said) and while the Bengals are slightly better, they aren't close to comparable to what the Packer offense has been during most of Grant's tenure.

To me, there is a difference for a RB between playing on an elite passing offense vs. an average at best offense with no real playmakers...esp if you are talking about YPC, but I think it also impacts the fumbles too. Any time a defense can key on the running aspect of the offense, it hurts the RB. Grant NEVER had to worry about that in GB, while Benson has had that worry through much of his career. Benson's fumble % isn't bad by NFL standards...probably about average for physical, inside runners. Grant also had a very serious injury that seems to have impacted his ability as a runner (i.e. speed reduction) and I don't think he is the same guy who put up the numbers you refer to. I think you have to keep some of these things in mind when comparing the "stats".

I also think the running styles make Benson a BETTER choice for Green Bay. He is very strong between the tackles, whereas Grant often was tackled by his own shoelaces (or a nose tackle's fart). Benson is going to be an even more potent play-action RB with his physicality.

Brandon494
08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
A possible answer: is he the best all around back on the roster if he signs? I seem to remember him being OK on screens. If he can pass block, he would be a potential every down back. Might be a bridge to Saine or Green. I am grasping at straws here unless the Packers are convinced a 2 down back like Grant will be available through the preseason.

Benson can pass protect. According to Pro Football Focus, Benson allowed just one sack, one quarterback hit and two hurries in 74 pass-blocking snaps last season. He’s widely considered one of the best blocking backs. In the Packers offense, pass-protecting skills from a running back are heavily weighed.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Yes, Benson is the best all-around back on the roster now...which tells you how weak we are at RB. Some of the kids might turn out to get there, but they aren't close yet.

I think the lack of interest in Grant (not just GB either) tells you that most have the feeling that Grant has indeed lost his top end speed, and without that he becomes a very pedestrian RB. His only good trait now is ball control. He can't catch, he is only a decent blocker, and he is a relatively weak runner that goes down easily. His ability to hit a crease and bust it for 30+ was his calling card. Once he lost that, he became just a guy.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Benson can pass protect. According to Pro Football Focus, Benson allowed just one sack, one quarterback hit and two hurries in 74 pass-blocking snaps last season. He’s widely considered one of the best blocking backs. In the Packers offense, pass-protecting skills from a running back are heavily weighed.

That is some good info on Benson, Brandon. I did not realize he was that strong in that aspect, so that is a HUGE plus on a team with a potential weakness with OL depth. Benson doesn't excite me, but he seems to fit what the Packers need to get by.

ND72
08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Didn't read much of the posts but I called this back in June. Ted and McCarthy are seeing a huge opportunity and realize the 6th round injury prone Starks may not do it, and green coming off all, and 2 undrafted guys might not be the answer to a top caliber team. I would still send every draft pick for Maurice Jones-Drew.

gbpackfan
08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Why are people claiming that we have given up on Starks after ONE preseason game? Like he hasn't been here two years! Starks showed up for one game, when he was a rookie, two years ago! Get over it. He's just a guy. Nothing special. His play has actually declined. Benson isn't the long term answer, but he is a better RB than Starks. Starks can't run, catch or pass block. So what can he do?

Patler
08-11-2012, 02:13 PM

I have absolutely no recollection of Benson ever doing anything as a receiver, and his receiving stats would appear to support that. Just 106 receptions in 91 games. Since leaving the Bears. where he never did play very regularly, his receiving stats are:

2011 15/82 (long of 11)
2010 28/178 (long of 24)
2009 17/111 (long of 19)
2008 20/185 (long of 79)

Total 80/556, with the longest each year accounting for 133 yard. Balance of 76/423

Grant's four seasons:

2011 19/268 (long of 80)
2009 25/197 (long of 27)
2008 18/116 (long of 17)
2007 30/145 (long of 21)

Total 92/726, with the longest each year accounting for 145 yard. Balance of 88/581.

Patler
08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes, Benson is the best all-around back on the roster now...which tells you how weak we are at RB. Some of the kids might turn out to get there, but they aren't close yet.

I think the lack of interest in Grant (not just GB either) tells you that most have the feeling that Grant has indeed lost his top end speed, and without that he becomes a very pedestrian RB. His only good trait now is ball control. He can't catch, he is only a decent blocker, and he is a relatively weak runner that goes down easily. His ability to hit a crease and bust it for 30+ was his calling card. Once he lost that, he became just a guy.

Yet. Grant had a 47 yard run for a TD last year and an 80 yard reception for a TD. It would seem that he still has some speed left.

Patler
08-11-2012, 02:24 PM

If Brandon is right about this, the signing makes all the sense in the world; especially with a bit of uncertainty at LT and concern about depth overall on the O-line. If Benson is that good at pass protection, I am 100% for signing him.

Bretsky
08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I've thrown the stats out the window on this one; I prefer Benson over Grant. Apparently TT does as well. Benson is a more talented all around player. Solid Signing IMO

Bretsky
08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
If Brandon is right about this, the signing makes all the sense in the world; especially with a bit of uncertainty at LT and concern about depth overall on the O-line. If Benson is that good at pass protection, I am 100% for signing him.

He's always been a solid blocker, and IMO he's never been given much of a chance as a receiver. He's just as good IMO as Grant as a receiver. He may not have the breakaway speed but that's all we'll miss

Patler
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I've thrown the stats out the window on this one; I prefer Benson over Grant. Apparently TT does as well. Benson is a more talented all around player. Solid Signing IMO

I suspect it is all about pass protection and $.

As far as running and receiving, neither is irreplaceable, but I would give the edge to Grant just due to proven performance over a number of years. At least Grant hangs onto the ball, and averages significantly more per reception and per carry than Benson. Each is on the downside of their careers by age, so I expect their performance to decline anyway, but Benson should have a lot more wear and tear on his body, especially when you consider his 1200 college carries and receptions compared to Grant's 600..

But, if Benson can pass protect as solidly as Jackson did, I will be glad to have him.

pbmax
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I have absolutely no recollection of Benson ever doing anything as a receiver, and his receiving stats would appear to support that. Just 106 receptions in 91 games. Since leaving the Bears. where he never did play very regularly, his receiving stats are:

2011 15/82 (long of 11)
2010 28/178 (long of 24)
2009 17/111 (long of 19)
2008 20/185 (long of 79)

Total 80/556, with the longest each year accounting for 133 yard. Balance of 76/423

Grant's four seasons:

2011 19/268 (long of 80)
2009 25/197 (long of 27)
2008 18/116 (long of 17)
2007 30/145 (long of 21)

Total 92/726, with the longest each year accounting for 145 yard. Balance of 88/581.

Yeah, my memory of him is fuzzy. But I seem to remember him gashing the Packers for some screens and each time it happened I thought the same thing; the Packers used to do that to other teams. However, Grant didn't have horrible hands, he was mostly ineffective at using blockers and operating in space. If Benson is his equal in hands, then I agree blocking might have clinched it.

RashanGary
08-11-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm very happy with this signing. I'm not sure what kind of pass protector Grant was, I don't recall him being bad at it, but if they think Benson is better, I do too.

The great thing about Grant, he always just went ahead. Whether he was running into the back of a lineman and getting 3 when maybe he could have gotten 7 or just falling forward 3 yards, he was always moving forward. That kept AR in manageable down and distances, and our offense thrived that way.

Starks had a little more patience, but he got tackled behind the line of scrimmage more. The point of our running game isn't to break of chunks of yards. AR and company do that better than ANYONE. The point of our running back is to make sure AR isn't looking at 3rd and 11. We want him looking at 3rd and 4 or better. Grant was great at making that happen, as unspectacular as he was.

I liked Grant, but I'm definitely happy to have Benson too. I don't know a ton about him, but Brandon's stats on his pass protection make me feel really comfortable. He looks like a really good fit for this offense.

Lurker64
08-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I suspect it is all about pass protection and $.

I actually think it's more about money than anything else. It's not a secret that Grant wants to get paid like an NFL starter (at 29, this is really his last chance for this, so it's reasonable) whereas Benson, for a variety of reasons, needs that NFL check and is almost certainly willing to work for close to the vet minimum.

I would not be at all surprised if the Packers decision makers have a slight grudge against Ryan Grant and his agent after they way they exploited the Favre drama in 2008 in order to secure a more lucrative contract from the Packers. I can see why that would make you less willing to deal with a player in the future.

Considering how the Packers have a lot of core players in line for contract extensions, the #1 thing we're looking for out of the running back corps is "cheap". Though if Benson signs, and makes the team, it may no longer be the case that all of the RBs combined are making less than Kuhn.

rbaloha1
08-11-2012, 07:46 PM

This is an excellent point. Although imo cb was signed mainly for tough running style.

King Friday
08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Yet. Grant had a 47 yard run for a TD last year and an 80 yard reception for a TD. It would seem that he still has some speed left.

I remember a Patriot OL player nearly scoring against us on a kick return a couple years back. With that kind of speed, maybe we should get him to be our RB.

Iron Mike
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I agree with I.M.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/427253_10151074151499014_1110234725_n.jpg

Patler
08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I would not be at all surprised if the Packers decision makers have a slight grudge against Ryan Grant and his agent after they way they exploited the Favre drama in 2008 in order to secure a more lucrative contract from the Packers. I can see why that would make you less willing to deal with a player in the future.

I doubt that. It's just business. Grant did not take advantage of the team anymore than teams take advantage of restricted free agents, or exclusive rights free agents. They didn't have to pay Grant if they didn't think he was worth it. It seems it was the teams own fault that it lasted into the time of the Favre drama. According to Grant and his agent, the team made little to no contact with them until just before camp. They could have negotiated long before the Favre drama occured.

Besides, Grant agreed to a significant salary reduction last year, too. The team should appreciate that, and realize that he is reasonable.

Patler
08-11-2012, 10:46 PM

I remember a Patriot OL player nearly scoring against us on a kick return a couple years back. With that kind of speed, maybe we should get him to be our RB.

But Grants runs weren't against the Packer KO coverage team! :-):lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I think the Benson signing is more to shake things up rather than a shot at Grant. Starks and Grant bring many of the same things to the table and we already saw what it is like with them splitting carries. With that said, I would rather have re-signed Grant. Benson has 12 fumbles in the last 2 seasons alone. With how effective our passing game is and how good Rodgers is at protecting the ball, the running backs first priority should be ball security. Grant rarely fumbles which shouldn't be taken lightly. I used to get really frustrated with A. Green and his fumbles and he was a total beast in almost every other aspect of the game in his time.

pbmax
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Pulling a partial woodbuck here, but not sure which thread people will continue to read today:

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/234496037161664512

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
If Starks, Green, Saine are OK soon, they can cut Benson at end of camp if they want. I am told Thompson doesn't want to do that to Grant.

Sounds too cute to be exactly the thinking, but if coupled with differences in contract demands, could be serious. Wilde admits he is not sure if this line of thinking holds if Starks is out longer term. By the logic of that post, it seems the Packers might not consider Benson a season long answer.

Patler
08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Pulling a partial woodbuck here, but not sure which thread people will continue to read today:

If Starks, Green, Saine are OK soon, they can cut Benson at end of camp if they want. I am told Thompson doesn't want to do that to Grant.

Sounds too cute to be exactly the thinking, but if coupled with differences in contract demands, could be serious. Wilde admits he is not sure if this line of thinking holds if Starks is out longer term. By the logic of that post, it seems the Packers might not consider Benson a season long answer.

I suggested somewhere (here or another board) that this could be a 2-3 week tryout for Benson, with Grant probably still available from them to pick up later. They know Grant, and can get a better look at Benson this way.

They need somebody. They can't hardly run a practice with so few RBs available.

Joemailman
08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

My guess is that Benson isn't signed yet because they're discussing guaranteed money. Benson isn't going to want to come here and just be a camp body until the young guys are ready to go. He'll want a contract that pretty much makes sure he makes the 53 man roster.

KYPack
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I'll "pull rank" on people as I have seen Benson play live a good bit in the last 4 seasons.

Cedric is a mixed bag. A tough football player on the decline.

I wouldn't have signed him, but given our current circumstances, we have our backs against the wall and have to do something.

Brandon has a good point (maybe that boy does know where the bear shits in the buckwheat). Ced is a good hand in pass pro. He is not quite as sterling a pp guy as the one year Brandon points out, but he can do the job, far better than say, Starks. Ced does have a tendency to sulk if he doesn't get a lot of carries. When he sulks, he slumps in pass pro.

Ced has started fumbling in recent years. This stems from him trying to make more out of a play and not maintaining good ball position. It's an error of trying to get more yards, but he needs to knock it off and hold onto the pill.

He's great on screens, but other than that, not much of a reciever out of the backfield.

I would call him in and sit him down. I'd say, if you go down to Austin or Houston and get in any shit, just stay down there cause you won't be a Packer anymore.

I totally agree with the "shake up the team" theory. The Benson signing has got to motivate the other backs more than resigning Grant would. We need production and pass pro out of the RB spot. Benson's addition should yield both, at least for one season.

gbgary
08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
like I said before...couldn't hurt. Packers are a passing team and don't need a running game, they just need to be able to run. he's proven he can do it season after season. seems a no-brainer for the short term. pass protection is key. has he ever had a serious knee injury?

rbaloha1
08-12-2012, 03:22 PM
like I said before...couldn't hurt. Packers are a passing team and don't need a running game, they just need to be able to run. he's proven he can do it season after season. seems a no-brainer for the short term. pass protection is key. has he ever had a serious knee injury?

MM prefers balance unlike the run and shoot and Spurrier offense. The Packers have evolved into a passing team due to a lack of a consistent rb. Oftentimes MM scolds himself for abandoning the run too quickly. MM also knows the importance of a solid running game during November - January.

LegandofthePack15
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Its official! Benson is a Packer!

For a minute I thought Thompson was going to change his mind like he did with Moss, Lynch and Tony Gonzalez.

Joemailman
08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Benson can't practice in pads first 2 days so it's uncertain if he'll play Thursday Night.

imscott72
08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Cedric Benson's contract w/Packers is one-year at vet minimum for his seven years in NFL: $825,000...Minimal risk then..

Smidgeon
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Its official! Benson is a Packer!

For a minute I thought Thompson was going to change his mind like he did with Moss, Lynch and Tony Gonzalez.

None of those were mind changers by Thompson.

Moss = TT insisted on multi-year deal. Moss wouldn't budge from one. TT didn't change his mind.
Lynch = TT was willing to trade a fourth rounder (or maybe a third?--don't remember). Seattle outbid him and he didn't waiver. No mind change.
Gonzalez = TT had a deal in place. The Chiefs balked at the last second and raised their price. TT stood pat. No mind change.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2012, 05:17 PM
When does the Benson Brigade get started?

Maybe something can be done with highlight clips under banner "Cedric the Entertainer"

Yep, it's a new era. Grant - gone. Starks - done. Greene - over. Hail the new hero! At least until September.

Tony Oday
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
RBs are a dime a dozen after the top 5 it seems. Can Benson block and if so does he play on third down? I would LOVE to see him running out of the shotgun having to take on one LB because we have 5 Wide.

Smidgeon
08-12-2012, 07:50 PM
When does the Benson Brigade get started?

Maybe something can be done with highlight clips under banner "Cedric the Entertainer"

Yep, it's a new era. Grant - gone. Starks - done. Greene - over. Hail the new hero! At least until September.

:D

Gunakor
08-13-2012, 04:39 AM
RBs are a dime a dozen after the top 5 it seems. Can Benson block and if so does he play on third down? I would LOVE to see him running out of the shotgun having to take on one LB because we have 5 Wide.

5 wide implies an empty backfield. Benson won't be on the field in 5WR sets.

To answer your question, yes Benson can pass block. That would be an emphatic yes. There aren't many better in pass pro than Benson.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Tyler Dunne gives his theories on why Packers went with Benson over Grant:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/165921886.html

A few points:
"Grant had a strong December, but did next to nothing on the ground before that. During an eight-game stretch -- in the heart of Green Bay's schedule -- he averaged 2.6 yards per carry. Replay the defenses that Grant faced along his late-season surge. Teams were begging the Packers to run the ball. Benson? With a rookie quarterback under center, he still managed 1,067 yards on 273 carries (3.9 avg.) with six touchdowns."

"Benson may give the backfield a dimension it currently lacks -- a big, durable, between-the-tackles back."

It's not a clean sweep, Dunne rates Benson down on fumbling and leadership.

smuggler
08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I think you are overweighting Benson's pass blocking abilities. I think he's NOT our 3rd down back, but our 1st and 2nd down option. He's okay as a pass blocker, and he's decent as a receiver, but those qualifications might be generous.

pbmax
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I think you are overweighting Benson's pass blocking abilities. I think he's NOT our 3rd down back, but our 1st and 2nd down option. He's okay as a pass blocker, and he's decent as a receiver, but those qualifications might be generous.

May not be 3rd down back, but might need to pass block on occasion on 1st and 2nd down.

cheesner
08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Tyler Dunne gives his theories on why Packers went with Benson over Grant:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/165921886.html

A few points:
"Grant had a strong December, but did next to nothing on the ground before that. During an eight-game stretch -- in the heart of Green Bay's schedule -- he averaged 2.6 yards per carry. Replay the defenses that Grant faced along his late-season surge. Teams were begging the Packers to run the ball. Benson? With a rookie quarterback under center, he still managed 1,067 yards on 273 carries (3.9 avg.) with six touchdowns."

"Benson may give the backfield a dimension it currently lacks -- a big, durable, between-the-tackles back."

It's not a clean sweep, Dunne rates Benson down on fumbling and leadership.

I wonder if this stat has anything to do with it:

Number of times held out on the Packers demanding new contract just before the season starts: Grant 1, Benson 0

Patler
08-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I wonder if this stat has anything to do with it:

Number of times held out on the Packers demanding new contract just before the season starts: Grant 1, Benson 0

Grant didn't hold out. The Packers never submitted an offer to him until the week camp started, even though they promised they would. Both sides knew the one year minimum qualifier would not be accepted. Grant came to all the off season stuff that he was allowed to, and when they were on the field he was there and watched.

The Packers tried to box him into a corner by waiting until camp was ready to start, figuring he would get antsy and cave in to a cheaper long term contract. The Packers delayed and delayed, hoping to gain an advantage. Then the Favre thing boiled over and they were in a public relations nightmare. They tried to play the waiting game with Grant, and it ended up costing them.

No one to blame but themselves on that one.

RashanGary
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Per MM, Benson very good in pass pro.

pbmax
08-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Two scouts apparently told Wilde that in their mind, no question Benson is better than Grant at this stage.

But Jason is sore that people have been questioning his questioning of Benson over Grant. So he is Tweeting out complaints about know it alls instead of actually posting the damn column.

Pugger
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM

My issue with Starks is he can't stay healthy. What good is he on the trainer's table instead of on the field?

Pugger
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM

I like Grant too but I find it more than a tad curious that he is still unemployed.

red
08-13-2012, 07:40 PM
benson was in pads today. he was off on his own for quite awhile working with one of the coaches on passing routes out of the backfield

Fritz
08-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I am a little surprised they went with Benson over Grant.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Mike Vandermause's column in Packernews.com today said exactly the same thing, only in 1000 words. You would think a professional football analyst would dare to offer an opinion about WHY the choice was made.

No offense to you, Fritz, such cowardice is to be expected from the bewildered masses.

Tyler Dunne at Journal-Sentinnel has earned my respect as a football writer, I liked his take on Grantgate. Of course I too am part of the bewildered masses, so I'm easily impressed.

Cleft Crusty
08-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Per MM, Benson very good in pass pro.

This is the answer. Watch the 'pass pro' of Starks from last season - especially against the Giants and note also that Grant is marginal at best at pass pro, and you'll know why Benson is in GB. Oh, also, Brandon Jackson is in Cleveland. He is better than all three at pass pro.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
See, you expect and get hard answers from a professional.

Pugger
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Another thing about Grant that drove me crazy is he couldn't break a tackle to save his soul. We need somebody who can convert a 3rd and short once in a while instead of having to go with Rodgers in the shotgun. :-[

Upnorth
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I was curious about why Benson over Grant as well, until I read (either here or elsewhere) a comment about defense being geared to stop the pass in GB vrs stop teh run in Cinncy. I have changed my tune about Grant over Benson, but reserve the right to flip flop again.

MadScientist
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Anyone else think the Packers should bring in this guy:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/olympics-over-jeff-demps-wants-to-play-in-the-nfl/
Probably a bit too late to learn the offense to make the team, but if they could get him on the PS, he might help mid-season or next year.

Patler
08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Anyone else think the Packers should bring in this guy:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/olympics-over-jeff-demps-wants-to-play-in-the-nfl/
Probably a bit too late to learn the offense to make the team, but if they could get him on the PS, he might help mid-season or next year.

He's awful small for the NFL. Might have a career as a KO returner and change of pace back for a few carries now and then. Then again, there is the occasional vertically challenged RB that does OK for a few years.

smuggler
08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
He's definitely worth a 90 man roster spot. There are 32 teams who'll be giving him a call. The dude is fast and he's a hard worker.

Brandon494
08-14-2012, 05:02 PM
He'll be signed to the Raiders by the end of the week.

rbaloha1
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
He'll be signed to the Raiders by the end of the week.

The Raiders are going to be legitimate competition for players. Surprised they failed to pursue Benson.

Fritz
08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
So if Benson makes the team, is it Benson over Starks or Benson over Saine? I say that because I think Alex Green and John Kuhn are locks.

smuggler
08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I think it depends on who's healthy... in a way. I think we'll keep all 5 to start the season, and then we'll make the tough decision of which back needs to go when Quarless/Sherrod start to come back.

Brandon494
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
So if Benson makes the team, is it Benson over Starks or Benson over Saine? I say that because I think Alex Green and John Kuhn are locks.

We might keep 4 running backs with Starks and Green having durability issues. With DJ Williams having a impressive camp I wouldn't be surprised if we only keep 5 WRs again this year.

Freak Out
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Has there been a mention of the contract terms for Benson?

RashanGary
08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
DJ Williams played mostly H-back in the last pre-season game. Maybe that's because they were light at running back, but maybe they plan on playing him in that type of role a little bit.

Joemailman
08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Has there been a mention of the contract terms for Benson?

1 year/825,000.

rbaloha1
08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
IMO Benson has a legitimate chance to start. Starks -- given injury history and inconsistent play is a candidate to get cut.

Freak Out
08-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Unless Benson completely fucks this thing up or gets injured I would expect him to be the week one starter.

denverYooper
08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Unless Benson completely fucks this thing up or gets injured I would expect him to be the week one starter.

Totally agree.

My theory is that they liked what Tyler was doing in the 1st scrimmage and decided that Benson might be worth a long look. In fact, if they decide they like that look enough, Tyler might be a surprise make on this team as Benson-lite.