PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Season In Danger

pbmax
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Needs hammy surgery. Extent of damage observed during repair will inform timetable and rehab. Season in some doubt. Unknown if he could be a candidate for new IR rule. Unknown if NFLPA has approved the new IR rule.

Starks has turf toe and is day to day at best. One Tweet said week to week.

House needs 2-3 weeks rehab then reevaluate. If healing, he gets a harness and playing time. If doesn't show healing, will need surgery.

Kiwon
08-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Ouch. Tough break for Bishop.

NewsBruin
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, in my memories, I recall hamstring injuries linger more and be more ability-depleting than run-of-the-mill knee injuries for NFL players.

Getting back on practice field will be especially rough, since quads are always stronger than hamstrings, and folks tend to put strain on their hammies when they start going full-speed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Bishops loss really hurts. Looks like he is lost for the year. House played very well so we need him back ASAP. First game and already the injuries start. I swear it seems like when someone gets hurt in game they usually end up on IR.

sheepshead
08-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Ouch. Tough break for Bishop.
and us, see him shaking his head when he was helped off, he know it was bad.

denverYooper
08-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Interesting re Starks. I didn't think Benson's signing meant he'd be cut but now I'm not so sure. Availability is a big deal for non-core players on M3's team.

Patler
08-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Interesting re Starks. I didn't think Benson's signing meant he'd be cut but now I'm not so sure. Availability is a big deal for non-core players on M3's team.

The Packers could be losing patience with Starks. Having a disappointing camp, (per at least some reports) and getting injured yet again, they very well could decide it is time to move on.

KYPack
08-12-2012, 09:23 AM
The Packers could be losing patience with Starks. Having a disappointing camp, (per at least some reports) and getting injured yet again, they very well could decide it is time to move on.

PUP tent for Starks?

Or won't they bother?

Joemailman
08-12-2012, 09:34 AM
PUP tent for Starks?

Or won't they bother?

Don't think you can put a guy on PUP once he's passed his physical. I think it's keep, cut or IR.

Patler
08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
PUP tent for Starks?

Or won't they bother?
Joe hit it right. PUP is not an option. In-season PUP is available only as an extension of PUP from preseason, which is available only to players who are not able on Day 1. Even one day at TC takes PUP off the table.

However, if Bishop goes on IR, the abreaviated IR might be an option for Starks, assuming the NFLPA actually approves the change.

pbmax
08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I think we are underestimating Starks' injury. After some confusion, it looks like week to week is his actual prognosis, meaning he is going to miss some time.

Benson might simply be stopgap right now. If he ever signs.

rbaloha1
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Have faith in Smith.

Brandon494
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Damn this sucks but at least we have DJ Smith to step in Bishop's place. Just hope House will be ready by the start of the season now.

channtheman
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
All these injuries remind me of the 2 season ago. I like how that ended.

mission
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd rather have the team coming together and getting healthier, back-from-suspensions, etc later in the season than clicking on all cylinders early on. Seems backwards, but we know what a hot team can do in the playoffs and it just feels like this season is shaping up to move (hopefully) in that direction.

Really sucks about Bishop. Hamstring surgery sounds tough... =/

hoosier
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
I read someting recently--in JSO I think--about Jamari Lattimore showing signs of life this spring. If Smith can replace Bishop and Lattimore replaces Smith, this may not be as crippling as it sounds.

Tony Oday
08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Eh not a big deal he is out. I think we have very similar talent behind him on the depth chart. I like Bishop but I like our depth too. NOW I would love if he wasnt hurt but we will survive.

George Cumby
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I'd rather have the team coming together and getting healthier, back-from-suspensions, etc later in the season than clicking on all cylinders early on. Seems backwards, but we know what a hot team can do in the playoffs and it just feels like this season is shaping up to move (hopefully) in that direction.

Really sucks about Bishop. Hamstring surgery sounds tough... =/

+1.

Surgery on a hammy? No bueno. Those take a long time to heal. I'd guess IR for Bish. Nice to have Sam Mills 2.0 in the wings and hungry.

Gunakor
08-13-2012, 04:31 AM
All these injuries remind me of the 2 season ago. I like how that ended.

It also reminds me of Taco Wallace, Carlyle Holiday, and Samkon Gado. Didn't like how that ended. I'm a little worried.

smuggler
08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Um, excuse me, but Carlyle Holiday owned and would have been good if not for the cartilage in his knee disintegrating. Also, Gado wasn't terrible.

Taco Wallace, though...

channtheman
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
It also reminds me of Taco Wallace, Carlyle Holiday, and Samkon Gado. Didn't like how that ended. I'm a little worried.

Did you just want to say the name Taco Wallace in one of your posts? Haha. Yeah the injuries suck and Bishop was probably slightly above average, but that's about it. As long as we don't lose our any of our core guys for an extended amount of time (Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews, Raji, etc. type players) I think we will be okay. Just gotta get to the playoffs.

Gunakor
08-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Did you just want to say the name Taco Wallace in one of your posts? Haha. Yeah the injuries suck and Bishop was probably slightly above average, but that's about it. As long as we don't lose our any of our core guys for an extended amount of time (Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews, Raji, etc. type players) I think we will be okay. Just gotta get to the playoffs.

Ah, no. The point was to show the toll injuries take. 2010 was an anomaly. We got very lucky that year dealing with a litany of injuries. It's not the way that scenario usually plays out. In the same scenario in 2005 the team was crushed under the weight of so many injuries, which is typically the way that works out in the end. 2 potential starters were lost for a period of time last Thursday, the more important of the two likely for the season, and we haven't even reached the second week of preseason yet. That's reason for concern. "Just gotta get to the playoffs" is a fairly tall order once injuries start to mount.

Fritz
08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
I thought with the number of injuries suffered two years ago - it was ridiculous - that the gods had punished the Pack enough for quite some time.

Let's not look for too many rainbows. Bishop was the starter, which means he was the best player available. Now he's gone. And House looked to be the starter, and even if he comes back he's going to be limited. Now Starks, too. This ain't good.

packrulz
08-19-2012, 06:10 AM
GREEN BAY – Desmond Bishop’s season might not be over after all.

The Green Bay Packers inside linebacker underwent what coach Mike McCarthy termed a successful surgery with team physician Dr. Pat McKenzie on Friday morning, and the team has yet to rule Bishop out for the season.

“He’s doing well,” McCarthy said, one day after the Packers’ 35-10 loss to the Cleveland Browns at Lambeau Field.

Asked if a determination had been made on Bishop’s status, McCarthy replied: “No final decision has been made on Desmond’s status as far as the season.”

At an NFL owners meeting in May, the competition committee passed a rule change that every club will now have the option to designate a single injured player who was on the roster through Week 1 as a reserve exemption, and that player will be eligible to practice in six weeks after that time and play in a game eight weeks after the designation. Bishop could be eligible for this new rule, if the Packers keep him on the 53-man roster for the Sept. 9 opener.

However, ESPN’s John Clayton reported last week that the NFL has notified teams that it has not yet received approval from the NFL Players Association for rule change.

Kiwon
08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
TT's had pretty good luck finding solid rookies and second-tier guys that hold up well surrounded by the other talent on the Packers D. Who knows? Maybe Bishop can be ready to go late in the season. You know that he'll do everything in his power to get back on the field if there's a shot at him playing this year.